Ashley Vows To Get More Involved at Newcastle

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has finally vowed to stamp his authority on Newcastle United and run the club like he wants to.

mikeashley-2.jpg

Mike Ashley – wants a team that will attack and win

It also appears that he is backtracking on his earlier statements of not getting involved directly in the running of the club, and will now get more involved personally with the management of the club. Of course Chris Mort becomes an even more important figure at the club.

That probably means Mike will not wear his Newcastle United replica shirt any more. The English Billionaire has already £250M in the Newcastle venture so far and he has defended his decision to sack Sam Allardyce which wasn’t received well by all Newcastle supporters:

“I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that will try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Manchester United.”

“To date I have invested £250million to try and make it happen. And I’m not the only one who could see it wasn’t working with things as they were.”

“So when my chairman (Chris Mort) told me it was time for a change I knew it had to happen. I just knew it was time for me to get involved.”  “I had to act, and I did what I should have done in the first place,”

“After all I bought this club to make it a success and the harsh truth is there wasn’t much prospect of that.”

“I bought this club to have some fun and I wasn’t having much fun at all. So I did what I should have done in the first place and decided it was time to run the club the way I wanted.”

“I must admit that when I bought this club, my instinct was to bring in my own team to run it straight away, including a new manager,”

“That’s no reflection on Sam, that’s just the way I have always done things.” “But for once in my life I ignored my intuition and, looking back, that was a mistake.”

“My instinct had never let me down in the past; in fact it’s been one of my biggest strengths, one of the major reasons behind my success.”

Newcastle of course had hoped to bring in Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp to replace Sam Allardyce who was sacked last Wednesday

But Redknapp came out before the noon deadline yesterday, given to him by the Portsmouth club, and told the press he had rejected Newcastle’s terrific offer.

Ashley, who is famed for wearing a replica Newcastle United shirt, and sitting with the fans despite his vast wealth, says now is the time for him to take a more hands-on role at the boardroom level.

“Now is the time to put away my Newcastle shirt,” “I’m not saying I will never go back on the terraces, but now I have to be in the boardroom – I have to be hands on.”

Mike really does seem desperate to bring silverware to St James’ Park, but more importantly he also wants to see exciting and attacking football at Newcastle.

Seems to us that’s exactly what Newcastle fans want to see.

• Edd Case

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:09 AM

And so he should be.

• tommyy

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:18 AM

This sounds good!! looks like now he is gna go all guns blazing to get a very good manager and also open up the wallet for transfers.

• adam

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:19 AM

great news. needed that after the game against the scum. good thing is that he is going to be in the boardroom and not in the stands

• tommyy

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM

We need it done very quickly though.

• Guinea Mag

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM

He needs to start by bringing in a top quality manager and top quality players!

Top managers got to be the likes of Mourinho, Hiddink, Lippi, Scholari, etc

Many top players needed to improve the team as the majority of our existing team are no more than squad players…..

• graham

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:33 AM

about time too! Its fine sitting in the stands when things are sorted but let’s get them sorted first.

When he talks about passion etc. He can only mean kk and as.

I think either of them on their own would be a mistake, but together is a different prospect altogether. Bring keegan as boss with alan as no.2 for three years, then keegan as director and alan in the hot seat once he’s learnt the trade.

Whoever comes in though we must be patient and back them to the hilt. By the sound of it, Ashley will be doing just that.

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Like I said yesterday, I think long term the Man Utd result last night could very well be one of the best things to happen to us.

• Graeme

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:33 AM

An example of our standing after this debacle. Its not easy reading but its fair and tells it like it is :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=YWTQLVPQCAINRQFIQMGCFF4AVCBQUIV0?xml=/sport/2008/01/13/sfnpad113.xml&page=1

• Gooderz

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:39 AM

van Gaal is passionate too. Maybe not in a Newcastle sense like KK and AS but he’s a winner and loves rubbing people’s noses in it.

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Mort said they have approached several candidates about taking over and explained to them the package that is available. One of those people was Harry Redknapp who ruled himself out of the job. But let me make it clear, nobody has been offered the job and wouldn’t be until Mike is back from Hong Kong.

That’s what Chris said before the Man Utd game. So don’t believe the nonsense coming from Harry.

Some good news from yesterday though folks – Manure gave a statement to say that Sky Sports News have been banned from all future press conferences because Sir Alex is fed up with the information they project. So it looks like it isn’t just Newcastle that is fed up with Sky Sports News this week.

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Gooderz – Van Gaal’s team are live on Setenta at 2pm today.

• Graeme

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Isnt it just a little bit late to decide to take charge of the club, sack the manager and think “Oh whos gonna run the club now”??? Competely amaturish.

Having realised he was wrong in not taking control, sacking the manager with no one lined up to replace him how does this “Shrewd, Intelligent, Successful Tycoon” decide to ensure we “wallop Chelsea, battle with Man Ure” Why, he turns to that renowned master tactician, guru of the premier league one ‘Arry Redknapp.

The same ‘appy ‘arry who has won precisely nothing in 30 years of Football Management, the same cheerfull chappy who is currently under investigation for all sorts of alleged activities.

Mr Ashley, in one fair swoop, you have lost all credability, reduced the club I have supported for over 40 years to a laughing stock, all in the space of a week.

The city is right. You are not fit to run a chip shop let alone a football club that is considered an institution on Tyneside. You sir, are a disgrace.

• graham

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

gooderz – and i would take him ahead of keegan or shearer. I just have a feeling that keegan and shearer will be sitting together in the stands on Wednesday night – ready to take over for Saturday. Or maybe that’s just my £20 bet at 14/1 on keegan being next manager talking!

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Graham – I got Keegan at 40-1 on Weds. Can’t wait to collect my £400

• graham

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM

graeme – get a grip for gods sake; freddy shepherd turned the club into a laughing stock years ago! Its just taken Ashley this long to realise that the massive problems within nufc weren’t just on the balance books!

Typical nufc supporter in giving the bloke no time at all

• graham

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:53 AM

James you jammy sod! I’ll still get the drinks in on behalf of ladbrokes with my £280

• Chris

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Bought the club for fun ?????

Stay on the terraces mate, you can’t do more damage from there !

• Graeme

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Graham, sorry mate, but this is beyond even the stunts FFS pulled in his time – and thats saying something!!!

If the limit of our new owners ambition for the club is ‘Arry Redknapp, then he has absolutely no idea what he was buying into when he bought NUFC.

Sacking BSA is his perogative, no arguement. But even the most average of businessmen understand that you have your plan in place for the replacement before you issue the P45.

Given the number of top managers available, how on earth can you end up with HR as the number 1 choice to take us onwards and upwards??? Did he use a pin??, threw some darts?? It certainly wasnt logic, thats for sure.

Even allowing that ‘arry is his choice, would it not be considered as sensible to do some reasearch, behind the scenes to see if he would take the job?? Of course it would, but it didnt happen – amaturish at best.

Graham, in the City, Mike Ashley is considered unfit to run a fish & chip shop – at this rate, he is proving them right.

• Steeley

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Graeme, comparing Ashley to FFS is a bit far! I havent seen him slagging the supporters and women of Newcastle off, and he hasnt employed one manager yet, let alone a string of failures, so I think you need to give the guy a break and see what the outcome of this is.
    At the end of the day, his words as printed by Ed here are words to my ears. It’s exactly what I wanted to hear….someone who genuinelly wants to take the club somewhere with attractive football, and someone who obviously has gotten hooked on NUFC! The guy came here and put his all in at the start – fair enough, he probably shouldnt be out on the terraces as the owner, but God was I not impressed when I first seen him there! He’s realised now that perhaps it wasnt right, and is rectifying that. One good thing to come from that though was hearing the fans opinion on Fat Sam as it obviously helped get shot him!
    It’s really funny that a lot of the people on her slating Ashley are the ones who were saying that Sam should have been given time. If there is any better an example of someone who needs time, its a new owner who has already transformed the backroom dealings of the club, but who is like a baby in terms of experience at it….of course, he’s going to make some mistakes down the line somewhere, but dont we all?
    The appointment of the next boss will be a massive test to see how far he’s come – admittedly th apparant offer of the job to Redknapp doesnt seem too good, but for one reason or another that didnt work out – but he’s on the right lines, and I’m sure he’ll come good.

I’m with you all the way Mike, here’s to the appointment of an amzing manager soon!

• Steeley

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

And of course Graeme, his business sense is so bad that he actually just stumbled on his Billionaire status is that right??
    His reputation isnt great in the city because he likes to take big risks (I think we know that now too!), but nonetheless, I would say that his risks have come off….he’s the man with the spare private jet remember!!

• Steeley

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Just to clarify from my post about Ashley on the terraces as it didnt sound right in my post above, I thought it was superb that he came and sat out with the fans! I remember the first time seeing him on the telly and then the next day watching the stoopid southern press recoil when they realised that all their crap about him being a “recluse” was absolute made-up tosh!

• Graeme

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Steeley, ok, so perhaps it is a bit harsh to compare him to FFS and I withdraw the comment.

However, you have to agree that the way he has gone about the sacking of BSA and the search for a replacement is nothing short of a fiasco.

Even an average businessman knows you have your new man lined up before you sack the incumbent, or at least have a short list of people you know want the job. None of that happened.

Yes, he has the private jet, but he’s not infallible. We have just witnessed a monumental cock up that didnt need to happen. Its just going to make recruiting the right man an even harder task.

MA is not a football man so he needs a manager who understands the game inside out. Someone who has been in the game for some time, who has won Leagues, Cups, played in Europe on a regular basis.

There aren’t that many of them and they dont grow on trees and most of them would want to be considered a 1st choice, not a 2nd choice to a complete non achiever.

I hope he hasnt shot himself in the foot big time and we can in fact still attract a top rate manager to take us back into europe again.

• StevieA

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Why is it a Fiasco? It’s not like we are going to win the league or qualify for europe is it?

Like any job they will approach the right men for the job and discuss the job with them. It’s not rocket science is it?

In hindsight Mike has suggested he should have brought his own man in, in the summer and I agree with that but you can’t blame the man for giving the manager a chance can you?

What has Mike done wrong exactly? It’s his sodding club and he can run it however he likes. At the end of the day why should you be upset about it?

Mike Ashley not a football man? What does that even mean? So if you only watch football you don’t understand it? That’s what they want you to think!

How many reporters know football then? Exactly! Not many, how many even played football?

Give Mike a chance to get in his own man. It’s something he has wanted to do for a long time and it’s something he will do given time.

What’s wrong with choosing from a range of good candidates for a job? What will a few weeks or a month matter to us in our position?

Good luck to you Mike. You’ll do for me son 🙂