More Revealing Comments From Mike Ashley

Here are more comments from Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, following Newcastle failure to get Harry Redknapp and our 6-0 thrashing at Old Trafford yesterday.

mike-ashley-8473.jpg

Mike Ashley – talked more today about his passion for Newcastle United 😀

We’ve already reported segments of Mike’s comments this morning, but here all of them that we can find in a single article – certainly worth a read for all Newcastle’s fans.

Thanks to one of our readers, Edd Case, for the information sources. 😀

Here’s Mike’s comments which all Newcastle fans must read:

“I had to act and now I’ll do it my way.” “I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that’ll try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Man United.”

“To date I have invested £250m to try and make it happen.” “And I’m not the only one who could see it wasn’t working with things as they were.”

“So when my chairman told me it was time for a change I knew it had to happen. I just knew it was time for me to become involved.” “After all I bought this club to make it a success and the harsh truth is there wasn’t much prospect of that.”

“I bought this club to have some fun and I wasn’t having much fun at all. So I did what I should have done in the first place and decided it was time to run the club the way I wanted.”

“I must admit that when I bought this club my gut instinct was to bring in my own team to run it straight away, including a new manager.” “That’s no reflection on Sam, that’s just the way I have always done things.”

“But for once in my life I ignored my intuition and, looking back, that was a mistake.” “My instinct had never let me down in the past, in fact it’s been one of my biggest strengths, one of the major reasons behind my success.”

“Yet I went against that better judgment after buying Newcastle.” “Now is the time to put away my Newcastle shirt. I’m not saying I will never go back on the terraces but now I have to be in the boardroom — I have to be hands on.”

“I want a team that is going to be admired up and down the country because of our brilliant, attacking football.” “Like they did when Kevin Keegan was in charge here.”

“In those days everyone in the land loved to watch Newcastle in action. I certainly did. And I am determined it will be like that again.”

“People might mock me for that and reckon that’s all pie in the sky.” “But this is a football club, remember — it’s about passion, about dreams, about glory. If it’s not, then why bother?”

“Make no mistake I bother, I care and so I will try my hardest to make this club successful.” “”And I know I don’t stand alone — I stand at the head of the Toon Army.”

“Remember this is a club with a real passion running through it — not least from all those Geordie fans.” “And I share that passion.”

“My thinking was to come into Newcastle United and examine the club from every angle and from every aspect. I wanted to see how it ran, how it worked, what the staff could offer and what the supporters were all about.”

“I wanted to understand what made this club tick, I wanted to find its soul. I have done that now and taken a lot of flak along the way.”

“People have complained I have been in the background too much, not done enough. Are you sure?”

“Let’s get this straight. I paid £140million to buy this club.”  “I’ve also paid off £100million worth of debt so today this club doesn’t owe a buck to anyone.” “And I also gave Sam funds for new players.” “Yet I’ve been hammered by certain people and for what?”

“Yes, wearing my Newcastle shirt and sitting with the fans.” “The critics were suggesting in some way that this was just a cheap trick that would boost sales of shirts in my own stores.”

“But anyone who knows anything about Newcastle knows all the fans already have their shirts so it’s all nonsense, just unbelievable.”

“And do you know something? I don’t regret those days with our supporters at all. I might own the club but they are the heartbeat and I had a lovely time with them.”

“And I guarantee that you haven’t seen the last of me out there with the lads and lasses.” “I will do it again from time to time.”  “I can’t stand this self-imposed etiquette in the boardroom and directors’ box.”

“You’re supposed to wear a suit, a shirt and tie and behave like a headmaster.” “Why? It’s like one of those , snobby, snooty golf clubs where they have rules for this and that. It’s nonsense and I won’t go along with it.”

“I want to go to football and enjoy it. I want to celebrate when my team scores, when my team wins.” “It’s a game of drama and emotion — of highs and lows, of highlights and heartbreaks. And I want to live it.”

“So from now on it’s all down to me.” “I am here because I want to be here and because I want to win trophies.”

“That’s it — period — to get trophies in the cabinet and have a ball doing it. I can’t see anything wrong with that at all.” “Buying a football club is something I’ve always wanted to do so it’s living a dream.”

“I always said I bought this club to become part of its passion.” “I’d like to think I’ve done that. Now I want to channel that passion into bringing success and I just can’t wait until it happens.”

Good words from the owner – we believe him. And he seems to be hurt by some of the criticism directed his way. But it’s clear his heart is at Newcastle United – which is his club. along with all the Newcastle faithful. Mike also seems a bit of a maverick, doesn’t he?

Good for you Mike! 😀

We have the right owner and the right chairman – so now let’s get a manager who can deliver on that vision – because it’s a vision most (all) Newcastle fans share with you.

Comments always welcome.

• johnny

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Didnt realize he’d paid off all the debts, I’m sure he’ll come up with the right man for the job.

• Moy

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Yeah , what’s left now is to get the right man , and fund him…And wah la! We might well be a force to be reckoned with come next season.

• stjames

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Ed!

I really miss the “recent blogs” column. 🙂

• blue

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Ashley needs to forget getting a premire lge manager he needs to go abroad and get a Quality manager not shearer and keegan we have been a joke since bobby went and the tabloids and newspaper would love to stick the knife further we need a manager were the big nose alex and wenger take note just like whn jose came to chelski and wiped the floor with them they hated it jose never had twenty or ten yrs to get things in order ashley also needs to spend big time on a whole back four and creative players but I trust him hope its van gaal or hiddick, jose thats what we should be after and them over paid owens would be putting in high class perfomances because they would be out the door.

• Danny

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:19 PM

He is obviously ready for for the fight…Hopefully all the passion he showed in writing this message he also channelled into picking up the phone to speak to mourinho!

Its nice to think that any money he puts into this club from now on is going straight on players as we now dont have any debt!

Mourinho + 60 million = Champions league spot!

• geordiejayne13

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Absolutely brillaint…what a star…. Let the fun begin and back him all the way through the good and bad. We dreamt of a new owner we have it.

UP THE TOON

• canmag

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:20 PM

well that was good reading from the man.it is time that we all support the new man in charge who ever he is and get us back to were we really should be.

• dragoner

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:21 PM

i want to believe him, but it just seems like PR to me. He knows he has lost a fair amount of fans with the untimely sacking and is carrying out damage control techniques. Oh well, it doesn’t matter anyway, as long as we find the right guy and he is backed FULLY

• Trini Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM

This is a great article for the Toon Army after the hurtful and embarrasing beating at Old Trafford.
    I hope they put the right man in charge… but it has to be for the next ten year otherwise don’t bother.
    Why not Jol?
    Two 5th place finishes and then the chairman calls the shot to buy Bent… the rest is history.
    Jol will be great for NUFC !!!

• Ed Harrison

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:31 PM

stjames – I’ll put it back up – took it down when w e were having all those outages a few days back.

• lee

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:35 PM

van gaal

• Nomis_jade

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Great lines from the owner. I like this guy. I love shearer but i dont think its the right time for him to be our manager. And i think keekan has had his time, although again, i love the man. Getting a good foreign manager is the way forward for me. I like mark hughes but i dont think he is that differnet to sam and he loves man u too much. People are saying we couldnt get mourinho but i reckon we could. He likes a challenge and he loves being the centre of attention. He will certainly get both of those at newcastle. Go on bobby, have a quiet word in his ear! Also i thought first half at united we were not bad. enrique looked really good, and did you noticed giggs and ronaldo swapped wings because of it. with duff on the wing and zog in the middle it looked much better. Now lets get rid of butt and start giving poor emre a chance!

• UTD111

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Great to see the full interview – he really seems to understand what we are all about – good on yer Mike.
    Now then – have you got Jose’s telephone number ??

• UTD111

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:41 PM

“Also i thought first half at united we were not bad”
    Oi! Nomis – theres only one United – and thats us!!

• toonoholic

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM

only after we appoint a manager, would it be sensible enough to talk about the owners desires for the club.

joke of the day :-
    Souness ” i would love to come back to nufc”

• Kayazirie

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Encouraging words. Ive been glued to the website for the last week minus the 2 hours of uncomfortable prison sex yesterday. My feelings on who would be best fit to lead us have swirled around, but with this statement from Ashley, I at least find some comfort in “the man behind the curtain.”
    The words seem honest and heartfelt, and I for one believe they are sincere. With that, at least that, passion for something greater, I feel we are headed for some seriously interesting times.

The last sentence said it all for me.

Put your seatbelts on kids, I feel a bit of something crazy’s aboyt to sweep through, and consider what a NUFC fan’s definition of crazy is!!

Cheers

• John

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Ashley is a LEGEND ..Were would we be without him…I never knew our club was in so much debt . We were def another leeds waiting to happen…

A legend has arrived

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Van Gaal has just been out thought tactically against Ajax and been stuffed. Huntaleer was terrific for Ajax.

Of the managers considered :

Houllier – would take it but we don’t want him. He ruined Liverpool by buying terrible players.

Van Gaal – would come in a heartbeat. For me a big gamble because he often doesn’t buy very well.

Mourinho – Very slim chance of coming in Jan. He’d only come if it was in the summer and Milan and Barcelona had said they didn’t want him.

Shearer – would never say no to Newcastle. But giving the reins to a TV Pundit is a risk Ashley will never take.

Keegan – i put a tenner on this on Weds but after Ashley’s comments I’m more convinced Keegan has never been considered. Ashley wants his own era at Newcastle. He won’t take the risk of trying to go back to the past with Keegan.

Hitzfield – would only come in the summer but at a very high price. He’d make us play the best football of anyone being considered. This is the man who said he hates to see teams play long ball tactics. He says we play on grass because thats where the ball should be. Would be a fans favourite. Only downside is that he is now 60. How much hunger does he really have left to build a club up?

Lippi – Would come but how hard would it be for him to fully understand the Newcastle ethos. He doesn’t speak or understand English.

A tough decision for Ashley and the hardest he will ever make at Newcastle

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM

there was this quite somewhere saying ashley admired van gaal, great news, hes the best option.

• b3v

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I think the next couple of days will define our club for the next 5. come on mike ashley, deliver. we have faith! 🙂

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM

James, i just watched that game, and van gaal is the man for us, his team were all out attacking even after going down to 10 men, + AZ’s goalie was culprit for about 3 goals, hes a nutter. He runs to the halfway line to try and stop the opposition.

• indian toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM

cmon ashley, we are all countin on u. its a make or break for nufc. btw souness is also being tipped , strong rumours u know!!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:55 PM

James – Hitzfeld is going to manage Switzerland at the end of the season.

One man for us – van Gaal.

• daiv

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM

look guys forget about a top manager coming here. A clubs that sacks its manager every year and loyal fans who boo their own players and even the manager. Unbelievable . A top manager would have to be mad and lets consider the r word. If we do not beat Bolton we are right in it with Sunderland and brum etc. Wake up eberyone….will a top manager want to take on a relegation fight. No chance, but a middle ranking manager who gets the sack now and again and is out of work will,,,, Jol or Houllier yes, but they are not top managers. They might get us relegated but they don’t mind cos like Sam they’ll get paid off with£5M. Wake up and face reality and stop talking makebelieve like Mourinho.

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Tom Toon – the only man from that game I want at Newcastle is Huntaleer. Although I do believe Van Gaal is high on the Newcastle list with the board.

If a world class manager says he will come, but only in the summer, then I’d rather wait for them. Appointing someone just because they are free is a bad move. They need to be the best man for the job.

• b3v

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM

interesting video from john terry on sky sports, even more reason why we should get mourinho…

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Tom-Toon – Hitzfield said he would like to manage the Swiss team but he hasn’t signed a contract with them. Hence why he is on Mort’s list.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM

van Gaal is world class as far as im concerned, so many newcastle fans want him.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:59 PM

He didnt talk about wanting to manage switzerland hes already in talks!

• the _lord

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Why do people keep saying van gaal, watched his team today against ajax, beaten 6-1 should have more. Not much of a difference.

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:05 PM

It seems unthinkable to me that Newcastle wouldn’t at least ask Mourinho. He’s good enough and young enough to give birth to a new era at Newcastle.

Can we afford him – Yes

Are we more attractive than Milan and Barcelona – No

Will he come – 40% chance

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:05 PM

AZ are having a very poor season but van Gaal plays the football we want and has proved he can win things. Other seasons with AZ he has done very well, he almost won the league with them last season, but i agree with James slighty that his transfer market work isnt the best.

• big pea ov the weab

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:07 PM

did luque score for ajax by any chance?

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Luque didn’t play. He’s too busy counting his money from his Newcastle days

• big pea ov the weab

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:13 PM

i thatl b right the prick

• Nev

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:15 PM

im assuming AZ’s keeper was Boy Waterman ..
    coz he is a complete nutter … he played against us when he was at heerenveen a few years ago and was awful and very eratic i think he played against us last year in uefa … looked awful then as well so that will explain about 4 of the goals lol

• Tom_Toon

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Ye it was and he is a complete nutter.

• James

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Yeah waterman played like Pete Waterman. He was shocking. At fault for at least 4 of the goals.

By the way, Hitzfield is out of the running. He said after Bayern he will never coach a club team again.

• Nev

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:28 PM

as i suspected 😛

• Edd Case

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Thanks Ed.

Ashley’s comments have fully restored my trust and belief in him and that NUFC will be a force to be reckoned with sooner, rather than later.

Sadly, Ashley has to put more money where his mouth is, at least for the time being.

I reckon that another 100 million will get us the manager and the players at this club to be challenging seriously for trophies.
    The knock-on effect from that will be that Ashley can then seriously start making some of that money back – look at Man Utd’s recent turnover – we might not get that high, but we certainly won’t be far off it.
    So, in both terms of finance, but more importantly, passion, Mike could make this club gigantic and really put us back on the map, instead of being the butt of far too many jokes at the minute.

Geordie pride – there is nothing better.