The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Hughes Refuses To Be Drawn On Newcastle

12:30 am, Monday, January 14th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Mark Hughes refused to comment on the possibility of him being interested in the Newcastle manager job yesterday.

mark-hughes-_613466.jpg

Mark Hughes – Blackburn boss refused comment on Newcastle vacancy

However, it appears that Blackburn manager has not ruled himself out of the running for the Newcastle United manager job.

Hughes is still surprisingly the bookies’ favorite to succeed Sam Allardyce at Newcastle now that Harry Redknapp is not interested.

Hughes refused to answer repeated question about his future – before Blackburn’s narrow 2-1 win at Bolton. He kept saying he wanted to focus on the job at Blackburn.

Mark Hughes told Sky Sports:

“There is a lot of speculation which has been going on for quite some time but my focus today is obviously to get a result for Blackburn Rovers as it always is come match days.”

“So really, I don’t really want to be talking about speculation that has nothing to do with me. It’s a case of getting the lads focused and that is what we are trying to do.”

Asked again about the Newcastle job again after the game, Mark said:

“You keep on trying to draw the speculation out of me.”“It’s got nothing to do with me – as a professional football manager then speculation surrounds each and everyone of us when a vacancy comes up. “

“But all I can do is work extremely hard like I have always done at Blackburn Rovers.”

It appears that Mark is still in the frame for the Newcastle United job but we see little difference between Mark and Big Sam. Both did well to make Lancashire clubs into European qualifiers with limited funds, and are good at spotting players in Europe.

But neither has the experience of managing a team like Newcastle, where the stakes are higher and the pressure a lot greater.

We do expect a manager to be appointed before Wednesday’s game against Soke City – we’ll just have to wait see who beaks out of the pack in the next 48 hours – as the potential next manager at the Tyneside club.

Tags: Newcastle News

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 adam // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:42 AM

“what do we want?!”

A NEW MANAGER!!!

“when do we want it?!”

NOW

• 2 Hadrian // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:54 AM

this is stupid , hughes and redkanpp are being lined up cos of who they know , not what they know .
    this club needs a number done on it , from the academy all the way to the youth team , lets get a proper manager in .

• 3 Aussie geordie // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Damn third!

• 4 Craig F // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I dont suppose it’ll happen but KK and Al for me would be amazing!

Lets face it they probably won’t win us the Champions League or the Prem but no1 will IMO – it will take at least 10 years and a hell of a lot of luck for us to even be close to teams Manc Utd and the gunners.

In an ideal world all us toon fans should have the same mentality as fans of a small team like say derby where anything above utter shit is a bonus!!

Imagine if we thought like that and KK and Shearer got the job. They’d be zero pressure on them, we’d be almost garunteed entertainment (no ‘containing’ wigan from KK) and for the pure class craic of the soap opera the is the toon it’d be worth the mid table midiocraty. I’d happly shell out my 485 queens heads for mid table and a few 5-0′s, a 4-3 and some heavy defeats. We might not win owt but we’d be the happiest fans in the country!

NOT HUGHES – he’s too dull

• 5 Callum // Jan 14, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Please not Hughes, if he ends up our manager he’ll be sacked in 6 months too, we need a world class manager and none of the Hughes, Allardyce, Roeder and Souness of this world…

• 6 ObaFan2 // Jan 14, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Not the right choice but a much better choice than HR.

It’d be better if Hughes waits for Man U.

I don’t know why Coppell isn’t mentioned more. I think he’s one of the better if not the best English manger in the EPL and he’s 7th favourite with the bookies.
    He took Reading to a League Championship record 106 points. He’s done it the hard way, the old way by getting the experience at smaller clubs and he’s done well. Maybe now is the right time for him to be given a chance at a “bigger” club. Unfortunately I think that big club will be Man U after Fergy retires.

• 7 adam // Jan 14, 2008 at 1:06 AM

what about sammy lee???

only joking

• 8 Greg B // Jan 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Its been 2 days since I mentioned – KETSBAIA!
    He’s won a league and 2 cups for Famagusta as manager and also has European experience – nackers to Hughes!

• 9 Steve // Jan 14, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Ed, did he not then go on to talk about how proud he is to manage Blackburn? Whilst I agree that the comments do not close the door on him potentially moving to the toon, I think the full story paints a different picture. Interested? Yes, but only for big money and the guarantee of time (another point he harped on about in his comments)…

Blackburn are in fantastic shape and have a very good squad, and I hope thats enough to keep him there…

If he comes, he better bring 3 suitcases with him, Bentley, Gamst and Santa Cruzz stuffed in each of them…

• 10 ginkoh // Jan 14, 2008 at 3:04 AM

Show bad vision again and story will be the same as before. Hughes & Rednapp should not ever be in the list for Newcastle !!! Who’s next ?? Mclaren ? Jewell ??

• 11 Hadji // Jan 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM

How about Gabriel Batistuta,the ex candidate for Boca Juniors manager position.
    He could bring us the South American flavour on SJP.

• 12 Obafan // Jan 14, 2008 at 7:15 AM

Our favourite team starts to look very hilarious. How long is this going to take, we need ASAP a new manager or we won’t need to bother how much money he will get to spend during the transfer window, cause it wil be CLOSED!!!!!

We need a manager TODAY!!!!!

• 13 Aaron D // Jan 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Need to get players in asap, team for stoke and bolton looks very short of numbers. Players available
    GK – Given and Harper
    RB – Carr
    CD – Edgar, Taylor, Rozenhal,Cacapa
    LB – Enrique
    RM- Milner, Lua Lua
    CM – Emre N’Zogbia
    LM – Duff
    ST – Owen, Viduka, Carroll, Ameobi

Thats 17 first team players including Lua-Lua, may have to call up Ben Tozer, as Enrique looked like pretty poor on saturday along with Cacapa. Not sure if Emre and Ameobi are fit.

Given
    Carr Taylor Roz Tozer
    Milner LuaLua N’Zogbia Duff
    Owen Carroll

• 14 GeordieBoy // Jan 14, 2008 at 8:03 AM

WE DONT WANT HUGHES!!!!

Another run of the mill appointment.

Listen to the fans.

• 15 Femi Lena Lover // Jan 14, 2008 at 8:53 AM

If hughes is appointed manager, i’m going to start supporting Carlisle. Mort says “he wants a manager with proven quality” so he wants Hughes…..whats he done like? seriously, he is a dull dull manager with no charisma what so ever and he’ll not attract any players at all. That’s what we’ve got to look at…look at Man City, they have Sven who attracts good players. Hughes would only attract average no-bodies who won’t be good enough to play infront of 50,000 fans every other week….oh wait, like the team we have now. Come on Mort, get someone with charisma!

• 16 ELFER // Jan 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I also think HUGHES would not be my first choice, especially when HOULLIER is available!!

But I’m impressed with his work on wales and also on the no name team blackburn! Truly a better choice than foolish HR, but still not good enough for our european ambitions I think.

It’s also a pitty that we did not close in the deal with DIARRA who could truly help us now on wednesday…

• 17 Bill F // Jan 14, 2008 at 10:22 AM

If Hughes is appointed, then I would expect within 6 months he will be more than Drawn, he will be Hung and Quartered as well.

To be absolutely honest though, if I was a manager having a degree of success at one of the PL clubs I don’t think I would be fighting to take over at the Toon at present. (I’m talking about non Geordie managers here)

previous post: Harry Backs Bobby Robson – Shearer Perfect