The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan Refuses to Rule Himself Out of Second Coming

11:19 am, Monday, January 14th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

Former Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan has refused to rule himself out of a return to St James’ Park, and says he still loves the Tyneside club.

kevin-keegan-123.jpg

Kevin Keegan - still loves the Newcastle club

Of course Keegan is a very popular figure with Newcastle fans since the marauding days with Kevin in charge, over 10 years ago now, when Newcastle were called the entertainers and were simply a joy to watch, with their wonderful attacking football.

And his appointment would without doubt be a major coup for Mike Ashley. It would instantly lift the spirits of Newcastle’s fans, after Sam Allardyce’s unsuccessful time at the club, and Harry Redknapp’s rejection of the position.

The former England, Newcastle, Fulham and Manchester City manager is still however behind Blackburn chief Mark Hughes in the betting.

However, Kevin would be a lot higher in that betting if he came out and said he actually wanted the Newcastle position, but right now we’re not sure he wants to come back to the stress and grind of being a Premier League manager. And remember it’s a lot harder now than when he first took over Newcastle in 1992. And it’s very possible his time may have past, as Sir John Hall intimated yesterday.

When Kevin was asked whether he would consider the job if it was offered, he told Sky Sports News:

“I really don’t know, you’re asking a lot of questions I can’t really answer.“I’m not ruling myself out or in or anything.”

“It’s a club I love, that’s what I am prepared to say, everyone knows that, and it’s a club I’ve managed before.”

Well that certainly doesn’t sound like somebody who doesn’t want the job does it?  One real advantage of appointing Kevin again is that now, or even in a year or two, Alan Shearer could join him as assistant manager. That could be for a year or two before Alan finally took over the reigns of the club, and would give us some longer term succession plan.  It appears there are only a few managers Alan would work with – Kevin being one and Terry Venables another.

Tags: Newcastle News

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 obafemimartins // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

he last managed a team 3 years ago so i dont know if he will be able to cope with pressure surrounding the premier league now. if he brings back the good football he still needs to win not lose 4-3!

• 2 Hammy // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Well Ashley has said that he wants gung-ho attacking football, the only way to put the Keegan era finally to bed is to appoint him..
    simple as…

• 3 Hadrian // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM

id love it, but ive been saying it as long as sam’s jobs been on the line , so i didnt need to say it again … but i have :D

• 4 antz // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM

the only way it will work….

if we cannot get mourinho, (he is my only 1st choice)

i said this yesterday but no-one picked up on it

keegan as a general manager/director of football with shearer as manager/head coach

shearer has to be in complete control with keegan acting as his sort of deputy manager/footballing secretary

ie, shearer has complete control of training, team selection, tactics and formations and the day to day dealings with the team/squad and transfer targets and would liase with keegan to carry out the running of the bigger picture such as going and selling the club to these targets, keegan more of a figurehead working more in tandem with mort and ashley giving them the footballing background information and direction they need, as how arigo saachi does for ac milan now

i really think this could work if everyone was clear as to what there dutied included. this could actually be a dream partnership as they both know the place inside out and the whole business to do with newcastle united

as for terry vegetable, i wouldnt leave him in charge of a sweet shop! hes a c0ck!!

• 5 Hammy // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

If somebody doesn’t act soon we’ll be stuck with the current squad til the end of the season….
    doesn’t bare thinking about.

• 6 ShiNg // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

i know that Keegan had a good time at Newcaslte in the past and many fans are really want him to be next manager again.
    But i have a doubt can he get a success again since he’s record in England, Fulham, Man city were not good enough.

• 7 Hammy // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I’d agree with antz.

• 8 Hammy // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Keegan was a one club man, with City, Fulham and England it was a case of after the Lord Mayors show.

It would be like sha**ing the most beautiful girl in the world…..what would you do next?

• 9 Leo* // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM

i watched the interview with keegan on sky sports news, he is great, i got all goosepimples listening to him, it would be exciting times ahead. obviously they have been talking to him because he ‘couldnt say anything on the matter’

also he was seen in the diamond with mort… confirmed but he could just be giving mort some tips on who to put in charge…

• 10 Steve_48 // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Just give it to KK man FFS and put us all out of our misery MA; you’ve said you want out and out attacking football, this is your answer, not Sparky with all due respect to the man.

Getting excited now… finally

• 11 Edd Case // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:42 AM

I still hope for Mourinho but I’d take KK.

Defo not Hughes.

• 12 antz // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:42 AM

keegan actually got fulhma promoted as champions playing scincilating football as he did with us and they were doing fine until england came calling as the press were crying out for him to have the job

if he didnt take that england job who knows where he would be or what he would be doing now

• 13 Tino // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I do not understand why we say in one line we like attacking football, then say in the next that we want Mourinho. 1-0 results will not be entertaining, and Ashley will have to give him at least 100m to get the players that he needs. Besides, he might think he is too big for Newcastle, which means he will not come, waiting for Real Madrid to lose their seven point lead or something. I still say bring on Shearer, with or without Keegan.

• 14 Ray Hunter // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I’d Love it! If we beat them. Still makes the hairs on my forearms stand up. Get him in.

We’ll fight them on the beaches etc

• 15 michael // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Bring back Keegan. Fantastic job with money. We’ve never had anyone sign such good players since. Remember Shearer, Ferdinand, Barton, Fox, Asprilla, Gillespie. Lets get a man who knows who to spend money, motivate his team and try to win something. We should never have let him leave.

• 16 Dave Atkinson // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hammy – I’d give it another go!

• 17 Toony // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM

At Newcastle he had a shed load of money to build the most exciting football we ever had at St James. He did not have that with Fulham or Man Citeh and lets face it NO ONE has managed to pick a successful team of only English players.

Money to spend Shearer the apprentice and we arent as badly off as when he arrived the first time (YET!!)

I say Ashley has to at least talk to the guy.

My first choice would still be Mourinho but even he would be looking over his shoulder at Shearer.

• 18 Kein // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Is Hughes really going to be any better than BSA?? He has done positive things in Blackburn, but is he a BIG manager that can use big cash from Ashley well and make Newcastle a team that “can give Chelsea a walloping”? Besides his football isn’t that entertaining..(I don’t care so much about that if we are winning games, but many people here do)..

And Keegan then..What has he been doing past three years? Has he got what it takes to be succesful in modern football?? Don’t get me wrong..not critisising KK, just wondering can he bring back the glory days anymore..?

We should go for a high-class proven manager who can attract and also handle big name players. The best choices for me would be Jose, Lippi, Hiddink, Van Gaal??, Rijkaard (Barca’s gonna kick him out soon :) ), Hitzfeldt…Not sure if anyone of those are interested though..

• 19 antz // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:51 AM

tino, mourinho only played tight and defensive against the big clubs, eg, liverpool, manure and ar$enal, against most otheres they played some great passing football, even if it is 1-0 the football is still played on the grass, not in those fooking clouds that fat sam had it

also i would love to see lippi as his juve side played very very entertaining football in an otherwise slow serie A

for me, mourinho or lippi 1st choice, if not shearer/keegan in the roles i mentioned before, if i was ashley they are the only people i would trust giving my millions to

imagine any of them with an enormous transfer fund

• 20 Hadrian // Jan 14, 2008 at 11:52 AM

shinig ,
    he brought man city up from the first div and put them in the uefa . wasnt at fulham long enough

• 21 ChrisM // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:03 PM

ANTZ – IF A COMBO OF KK AND ALAN SHEARER IS TO WORK THEN AKAN WOULD HAVE TO START AS ASSISTANT MANAGER…..I HAVE RESERVATIONS ABOUT HIM OVERSHADOWING KK AND THUS UNDERMINING HIM.

HOWEVER LOVE THE COMMENT ABOUT TERRY VEGETABLE.

• 22 Tino // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM

The moment BSA bought Geremi, I knew he had lost it- and when he made him captain, I mean, who buys a substitute and makes him his leader of the team?
    I do not like Mourinho, I think the Italian whatshisname did all the work, and Mourinho found a good team, took it further.
    I would never truly find Hughes to be the ideal man, he has made some dodgy decisions at Blackburn, and his team is not a joy to watch.
    Ashley should go with someone that lifts the spirits, for everyone, at least for now, and give the man support: mid table finish this term, top six next, top four after that- he has more money than those Americans at Liverpool.
    And refuse to sanction any more dodgy buys, even if they are free, cacapa should be loaned to Sunderland, they at least would find use for him, and geremi too

• 23 Ross // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I really, really pray this is true. We’ve got to get him.

• 24 antz // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM

i hear what your sayin chris, but im just worried about the pressure for keegan, and im unsure as to whether the premier league and europe have moved on to another level as to what keegan is used to, but like i said, they just have to be clear in the roles that they may have

• 25 BILLY-B // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I dont understand the clamour for mourinho he spent enogh money to save northern rock but most of the time the football he dished up was boring 1 – nil win after 1 – nil not so special one in my estimation. Bring back Keegan he did it last time without any managerial experiance,he knows the type of football geordies want it is his type of football and if left to get on with it could bring back the glory days. (notice i said could not would because no matter who comes nothing is garenteed and dont we know it) I would not involve shearer until he is ready in himself to take managership on.

• 26 Toony // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Sky bet now have Keegan 2nd favourite at 3/1

• 27 t-g-w // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I think that if we appoint an English manager we are shooting ourselves in the foot and I have thought this for a very long time. Don’t get me wrong, I would love nothing more than a team of 11 Geordies run by a Geordie manager but its not going to happen! A great foreign manager (and by that I don’t mean Houllier) like Van Gaal or Huudink or Lippi would already the great players on the continent and would be able to attract them to our club, as well as having the tactial knowledge to make us a great side.

• 28 antz // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM

hows this for a record?

A motivator rather than a strategist, Lippi is not bound by a rigid tactical approach. He earns the respect of his players thanks to this flexibility as well as his own personal charisma and sincerity.

Lippi is considered by many to be one of the best managers in the history of Italian football.

With Juventus F.C.:

Coppa Italia
    Runners up: 1999/00
    With the Italian national team:

1 FIFA World Cup
    2006

• 29 Toony // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Thats some record antz but why would he come here?

• 30 antz // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM

because we’re deluded and he is out of work

• 31 Big Les // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:40 PM

What about this?
    Shearer team coach/asst Manager
    KK team manager
    Sir Bobby Tatctical Advisor

• 32 Southside Jordy // Jan 14, 2008 at 12:54 PM

BIG LES………I RUDDY WELL LOVE THAT IDEA!!

• 33 Bill F // Jan 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Iv’e been saying all along Keegan and Shearer are what we are going to end up with and it looks like a strong possibilty now.

My first choice has always been Jose but I think we will see pigs flying over the Town Moore before that happens.

Don’t forget KK came straight off the golf course to us when he became manager so the situation is no different now. He would probably sign up for two years only with Shearer gradually taking up the reins. I think it would work and am hoping fervantly it will be the choiceof MA.

I am chanting a mantra of Hughes repelling to ward him off. Any who wants to can join in.

Ommmmmm Hughes stay away, Hughes stay away, Hughes stay away.

• 34 ObaFan2 // Jan 14, 2008 at 2:07 PM

At last a reliable quote and it’s from KK, just seen him on Sky sports saying he isn’t ruling himself in or out of anything.

I CAN imgine MA in the stands having fans calling his name to him, unlike Redknapp or Hughes etc.

Also I remember Saturday afternoons (5pm ish), bars packed solid,geordies happiest fans in the land, KK comes on the tv and deadly silence falls over the Toon
    and every word is lapped up by his adorning fans. Even SBR didn’t have that effect.

Oh the memories, sends shivers down ya spine :)

• 35 KevinHann // Jan 14, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Wow, I thought I would be lonely in my Keegan-dream. Seems a lot of geordies want him back, watching the different forums. Promising :)

• 36 Todd // Jan 14, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Yes Shearer for Manager! That is excellent! Great and popular players ALWAYS instantly make great managers. What pristine logic! It worked so well with Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods! Too bad Man U didn’t appoint George Best as manager, that is why Man U is so bad now. Maybe Pele should manage Brazil because he is so organized in handling people and money. I could go on.

• 37 Graham // Jan 14, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Obafan2 – Before I even read your last sentence i got a chill right down the spine!!

I have never been Shearers biggest fan – people put him on the highest pedestal as a player and he got a little big headed for me, and not yet experienced enough for the main roll. But to have someone like Keegan next to him for 2-3 years (lets face it Kevin won’t want much longer than that) could be just what he needs.

Get it sorted Mike, this has gone on far too long already.

• 38 Bill F // Jan 14, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Sorry Todd have I missed something, Ice Hockey, Basketball and golf, I don’t see the connection.

And yes there many great players who have become great managers Klinsmann for one and I’m sure bloggers can mention many more.

Thing is we won’t know if its not given a go, we have had plenty of mediocrity already so if Shearer was another failure we could just add it to the list. At least it would be a positive move.
    (I think)

• 39 Hadrian // Jan 14, 2008 at 3:13 PM

dagliesh , van basten , rijkard , gullit , klinsman ,
    southgate :P (he’s not done to bad for a guy who gets uglier everyday, not to bad in smoggy standards , considering they bath in ici water , said standards are not that high i know)

• 40 Tom Cairns // Jan 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM

When Mort said he was casting the net over all the managers in europe it did fill me with hope that we would bring in someone experienced and successful like van gaal, hitzfeld etc. However the more i think about it if they come in and dont bring immediate results (remember we are in a very bad way at the moment) then almost definitely they wil get the axe too.

Shearer may not have managerial experience but he is as experienced a footballer as you could get and on top of that he knows the club inside out. If for example he had keegan as a no.2 that would really help guide him into maturing into the managerial position. And unlike many of the foreign coaches being mentioned they both know the english game and due to their god status they will be given the time to get it right.

The more i think about it the more i reckon a Shearer no.1 and Keegan no.2 team could really be exactly the answer we need.

• 41 broon ale // Jan 14, 2008 at 3:18 PM

keegan!

• 42 scott9 // Jan 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM

i dont thinmk keegan will be offered the job hope he does though

• 43 Davey // Jan 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM

KEEGAN! Yes, I would just love it. I remember the QPR game when he arrived as a player in ’82..something to behold. Yes lads and lasses too young to know, if you think we’re shite now, you should have seen how things were before the man came.

• 44 Scott // Jan 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM

would love keegan back just to see if he could reproduce anything like the entertainment we had back in them days. like ive said before its a similar situation to the last time he took over where a new owner with a bit of money has just taken the club over and ashley would be willing to let him spend some hopefully

would love him back didnt think he’d want the job but after hearing these comments maybe he could be tempted. its him shearer or mourinho for me in that order

• 45 Toon Barmy // Jan 14, 2008 at 5:38 PM

I wanted Jose ! but do think he’s waiting for barca or equivelent, was devastated Ashley asked Redknap Tho?? whats that about??.
    We now need one of our own to come home he has unfinished business, shearer has to be assistant with our Bobby as director of football.
    Keep The Faith!
    one thing is for sure – the new manager needs to be backed big time as the squad isnt good enough, give KK the cash he’s bought the best players ive ever seen at SJP in my lifetime Shearer Ginola Sir Les to name a few, remember when he sold cole and he had the balls to come out and face the fans who else could or would do that – we need one of our own who is here for us and the love of the club not CASH-seems the whole country and his dog are against us at the minute, we need some pride back give it to KK.

• 46 Bill f // Jan 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Davey, we were close to dropping another league down if memory serves me right. We came as close as we have ever got to real success under him and with a little luck would have been champions.

I don’t subscribe to the sentiments that he was a bottler.

• 47 MickyHen // Jan 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Get Keegan!

• 48 Kelvin Koogan // Jan 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Let the original ‘special one’ return. He loves us. We all went to pieces at the end of the 05/06 season, the unravelling of our great team was agony. The grinding Manure 1-0 wins were evil. Some blame Tino. I blame Batty. KK seemed to turn grey in a week. He more than anyone looked like he was broken, we all were. It hurt…..then he was gone and we declined. Bobby loved us too and brought us back some respect, but the fat board were all wrong..

But there is light

Fat Freddy and his idiotic fat board are gone.

Raise the banners, beat the drums comrades…..remember the entertainers lads & ladies, the cavaliers , remember the king on the steps…bring him back.

What have we got to loose now and he is the messiah after all

saying that, sparky’s alright

• 49 hanzemre // Jan 14, 2008 at 8:22 PM

aye bring them Alan Shearer or KK or both & FAST, we need exciting brand of football.

• 50 dixie // Jan 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Keegan in my eyes is the only one for the job, all you have to do to realise this is look at what he did at newcastle the first time round. We finished 2nd in the league two seasons running! if you ask me then the current newcastle fan can only dream of achieving that again, keegan is the only man that can bring that dream alive (with shearer right beside him as number 2) we cant go wrong.
    The town would be absolutely buzzing! and this would give everyone a lift.
    we would be bound for glory.
    Come KK!