Didier Deschamps New Betting Favorite at Newcastle

We can report on the latest Newcastle Manager favorites with the William Hill Online Betting (look under Manager Markets), where real money is being placed on various candidates. Frenchman Didier Deschamps is the new surprise favorite tonight.

didier-deschamps.jpg

Didier Deschamps – French World Cup winning Captain

An hour ago we thought we’d be reporting Gerard Houllier as the favorite but surprise surprise as Frenchman Didier Descjamps has come out of nowhere to be top favorite. Somebody must know something that’s going on and placed a huge bet for this to happen.

The latest betting is as follows:

Didier Deschamps  15-8
Gerard Houllier	   2-1
Mark Hughes  	   5-1
Kevin Keegan      11-2
Alan Shearer       7-1

The former Juventus, Chelsea, Valencia and France midfielder, recently guided Juventus back into Serie A. Deschamps, who captained France to victory in the 1998 World Cup finals and the 2000 European Championships, gained his first experience of management at AS Monaco, whom he took to the final of the 2004 Champions League. Monaco lost that final 3-0 to Porto, who were then managed by Jose Mourinho, before Deschamps moved to Turin.

However, news earlier today had suggested Gerard Houllier headed a new short-list of candidates with talks expected to take place even today. However, surprisingly the French football federation (FFF) president Jean-Pierre Escalettes this afternoon moved to dismiss reports that Houllier was to take the Newcastle post.

Escalettes said:

“I talked to Gerard by telephone – he is on business for us in the United States at the moment – and he told me ‘every time an English club is in difficulty my name comes up’. Gerard’s word is enough for me. He works for us,”

“Gerard had an extraordinary image in England, I’m flattered to hear his name all over the place, I tell myself we made the right choice, everyone wants to have him.”

That’s surprising because Escalettes had earlier said he was ready to accept that Houllier might leave:

“I would not stand in Gerard’s way if there was something else he wanted to do,”

“I am not surprised he gets offers. He turned one or two down to rejoin us and they were better financially than we could offer him.”

So things change and it’s a different day and we have a different favorite. But since Mort and Ashley are meeting somewhere down south, probably in London, this news may have some validity, because we expect an announcement in the next day or two.

• KevinHann

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:24 PM

They are just using the rush to get cash inflow. Where did this come from?

• James

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM

A new day a new favourite. The bookies have been fuelling the stories for a week. Get everyone to place bets on one name, then announce the person hasn’t been approached or is not interested.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM

My god he’s ugly..!!!!

KevinHann – You’re dead right!

• KevinHann

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:28 PM

By the way Didier was a defensive midfielder, and plays defensive football. He is awesome for Italy with their sneaky “I will make sure you don’t score and if I strike lucky and score I win” tactics, but you will quickly hate him if you see us play the same way. I must admit he is decent, with a good reputation and may become class manager in future, but just not what we are looking for. It would be worse than Houllier and in my eyes Houllier was pretty bad already.

• James

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Relax guys, when the bookies have collected all the bets on him and made another nice earner, it will be announced he is not interested.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Kevin – it came from the William Hill betting – Deschamps is the new favorite. They need to decide fairly quickly though and nail their man – whoever it is.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM

He played very attacking football for monaco and i spoke to a juve fan who said he played very attacking football even though it was the italian leauge.

• Hobs

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I just checked him out on Wikipedia, and found this quote which is very likely to be added by a Newcastle fan! Just wonder how long till it’s edited away:

“He has recently emerged as favourite to succeed Sam Allardyce as manager of Newcastle United, who are by far the biggest and best team in the North-East of England and also have the most intelligent, most loyal, and the hardest fans. Terry McDermott is reportedly worried as his job at the club has always been to be the water carrier, though he also lists carrying Lucozade amongst his countless talents.”

• James

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Quique Flores we need you.

• Hobs

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM

hmm already edited to

“…manager of Newcastle United, who are by far the gayest team the world has ever seen…”

🙁

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I wonder just how much Ashley’s made out of this – I’m wise to him, sly sod, a wee bet before his appointment!!

• Ed Harrison

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:34 PM

If he doesn’t play attacking football they will not sign him – that’s a requirement that Chris Mort put out today – so they know what the job is all about now at Newcastle now.
    Excellent statement from Mort this morning.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM

James – Deschamps and Flores, not an amazingly amount of difference.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Black and White Blood – and if did he’ll end up in jail.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM

James – 10 out 10 for persistence!

• Nev

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:37 PM

kevin hann … last season he won serieB with juve by a hell of alot points aswell as a 15point deduction
    and won most games 4 or 5 nil …. whats still pretty imresive when he had the best squad in serie B
    so that shits on the defensive theory what does seem most likely with his playing career

• hadrian

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:38 PM

im sick of it now and think we should just hand it to shearer and get it over with and out the way , time to move on , this is a farce .

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Ed – keeping Joey company – now that is someone who cares about his players..!

To be honest I think we have a good one in Ashley – he seems to care about the club, somthing we are just not used to! I just hope reports of KK and Shearer are correct!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Kevin Hann – Wenger was a defender, guess he plays defensive football?

• nufctj

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM

lol KevinHann!

I am sure Didier plays a bit more defensive in Italy than he would in other leagues. But if you consider where he is from (the french player development system has been second to none) and who his contemporaries are (Zidane, Djorkaeff, etc.) I would think he would be a pretty darn good fit for the Toon. Have you watched Juve play? they are definitely not a one dimensional, typical Italian team, and AS Monaco definitely committed to the attack under his charge. I have not heard his name mentioned before. This would be a pleasant surprise. He would be trading one set of black and white stripes for another.

• James

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Mort and Ashley are in London today.

Shearer is in Newcastle.

So there has been no meeting or interview with him.

However, I have faxed Quique Flores’s CV to Mort 1000 times now.

• Jay

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:46 PM

He has had 2 jobs and he has fallen out with the owners,took the huff and quit them both. He wouldn’t last long at Newcastle.

• John

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM

@ED ..hey Ed.. how do you find the latest betting on the next manager..I’ve searched william hill all over but can’t find it..Can you help me 🙂

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Tom_Toon – Wenger was a psychologist, he’s never played professional football… or we talking about Championship manager again..!

• Bill f

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM

I was wondering when his name would crop up, it’s just becoming a game of pin the tail on the donkey.

My money is still on KK+Shearer.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM

He did play pro football mate 🙂

and i se it was Econmics and Engineering not Psychology.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Where does Ashley live, I don’t mean street, but region or country for that matter..?

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Tom_Toon – Serious, where..?

• John

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

tom toon, nice one mate

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Starborg, Racing Strasborg, Mulhouse.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Ed -Where you hosting this site, it is coming up as USA, is that right..?

• Atrocious_Footwear

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Don’t bother looking at the bookies odds. Just wait and f*cking see. We’ve been fed enough tripe already.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM

All the favourites have commented, either ruling themselves out or not disclosing, we’ll see tomorrow.

• Nev

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Black and White Blood – he played at strasbourg in france and won the french league
    never played for france or a major club
    one heck of a manager tho!!

• Astidores Sanchez Blanco

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I’m not sure whether you can read too much into the Deschamps link to be honest with you. Why?

They are looking for an experienced figure to partner Alan Shearer, I am pretty certain of that. Someone for whom Alan Shearer can learn from over a three and a half year spell before taking over full-time in 2012.

We know now that Houllier appears to be ruled out and that it is uncertain whether Keegan will return. Also Bobby Robson would seem unable to do the job because of his ill health.

So who do I think Shearer can work with?

Well there’s Glenn Hoddle and Terry Venables, both out of work, both experienced figures and both men who got on well with Shearer during his time with England.

Both have had successful managerial careers and are capable of playing good football. I don’t see why they would not want to work on the youth aspect of the club and of course both speak English. Can they handle the pressure? Well what job could carry more pressure than England?

So I thats my theory and I think it can be lent weight by the fact that Mike Ashley is a known England supporter and they are two of the most successful footballing managers in recent times. Remember, Hoddle was not sacked as a result of footballing reasons.

It will be all too fresh in Ashley’s memory what a failure Keegan was as England manager.

Thats my insight anyway, hope you appreciate it.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Tom_Toon – Sorry I’m wrong Doh..!!!

• scott9

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM

kevin- deshcamps plays attacking football and thats a fact were did u get this defensive ntheory from.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM

He played professional fotball!

He played in the uefa cup mate!

Look it up!

• nightfall

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Astidores Sanchez Blanco – that’s why we should go after del bosque..real played great under him!!! adn he’s modest and calm, so i think he’d do great with big Al!!

1 2 3 6