Shearer Speaks In Detail About Newcastle Job

Alan Shearer has exclusively talked to the Sun today, who he is employed by as a reporter. Alan talked at length about Newcastle and the Manager job there.

alan-shearer-3425.jpg

Alan Shearer – talks some good sense about Newcastle manager job

Here’s Alan’s full interview this morning with the Sun.

“It is my club, I scored 206 goals for them and played for them for a decade — I would do anything to help them.” “I might not have managerial experience but I know all about this football club, the fans and the area.” “The club have had some unbelievably experienced managers in the past and, for whatever reason, it has not gone well. Just look at Kevin Keegan and the job he did here. Kevin did something special. He is a special person with great charisma.”

“He is highly thought of in Newcastle and rightly so because of what he did for the football club.” “Big Sam Allardyce had great experience but, for whatever reason, things did not work out for him.” “Experience does not guarantee you anything, although it does give you a head start.”

“It is a very difficult job but also a great job — for me, up there with the England job.”“I have not spoken to Kevin, nor do I know if he wants the job.” “People have talked about me being a No 2 under an experienced manager.”

“But if they are after an experienced manager, which they are, he will no doubt have his own man. If he hasn’t, he may not even want me as his No 2. Again, all I would say is that if someone comes in and wants to talk to me I would be willing to help in any way I can.”

Shearer has not been too pleased by reports that his very presence in the North East has put undue pressure on Sam Allardyce, who was sacked last Wednesday, after only 24 games in charge.

Shearer said: “

“I was as shocked and surprised as anyone that Sam Allardyce was sacked.” “I have been upset by some reports that I was like a shadow over the manager since I left and that I know everything that happens at the club.” “Let me put this straight once and for all.”

“Since retiring from playing in 2006 I have been to the training ground once — three months after I stopped playing — and I can’t even remember what that was for.” “I’ve never been in the boardroom or in the changing rooms and I have never met or spoken to Mike Ashley.”

“Yes, I still live in the area because I love it here — it’s my home. I also have a box at St James’ Park to watch the games. But I probably only get to do that about once a month because of my work with Match of the Day.”

“After the game I get in my car and go straight home. You can ask Sam Allardyce how many times he saw me at St James’ Park and the answer will be ‘none’.” “Glenn Roeder before him will also testify to the fact that I kept myself away from the club — apart from, as I say, watching the odd game.”

Shearer has even avoided games so nothing could be made out of his presence.

“I was going to go to the home game against Arsenal. But there was so much pressure building on Sam I deliberately stayed away.”“I knew if Arsenal scored the cameras would scan to me and I didn’t want that or think it was fair.”

“I always backed Sam, when he was appointed and during his reign. To give him just 24 games is not enough.” “But when you put 280M of your own money into something — like Mike Ashley has — you can make whatever decision you want.” “He did not appoint Sam, which worked against Sam in the end.”

Alan was asked if it was not to be him, who specifically would he want to come into the Newcastle manager position. Alan continued:

“I want someone to come in and have a right go — and have the opportunity to put the club where we all want it to be.” “That means challenging in the top six and winning FA Cups. The fans deserve that for their dedication.”“A lot has been made of the way Newcastle play and I know they do like to be entertained. They want to be entertained and get the right result. But even Arsenal sometimes cut their cloth accordingly, like they did at Portsmouth recently, to get a result.”

“I went for a quiet holiday and got exactly the opposite. I was only away for seven days and for four of them my phone was going mad.” “I did watch the Newcastle versus Manchester United game there.” “I searched everywhere to find a nice, quiet bar to watch it in.”

“Unfortunately, there were six others in there who turned out to be Manchester United fans. I had the mick ripped out of me every five minutes.” “The fans’ reaction to me has been flattering. I’ve got a tremendous relationship with the fans and always have done.” “It always nice when people say they want you.”

Some good points made by Alan, which may give Mike Ashley food for thought. Kevin Keegan was appointed with no previous management experience, and he’s been Newcastle’s most successful manager since Joey Harvey, back in the 1960s.

And Alan is certainly smart enough to bring in experienced people around him to guide him in the job, at least initially. He may bring in somebody like Terry Venables as his adviser, as an example.

We think at least there’ll be another call between Alan and Chris, to further discuss the matter. That call be only be to further explain to Shearer why Ashley may still appoint an experienced manager and not Alan.

Let’s know what you think about us.

• antz

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:37 PM

will every1 give over with terry vegetable, the mans a wideboy just like redknapp, i h8 him with a passion, hes a smarmy creep

• milner fan

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Shearer would make a gr8 manager if he has support.

• alan Oliver

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Sources in the club have phoned to tell me they are going to be speaking with Alan again. I think this article in the sun has done hims some significant favours.

• Number 9

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:41 PM

• Gordon

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Agree with ants, the thought of Venables at our club makes me nauseous

• Gordon

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:46 PM

If you really are Alan Oliver ‘alan Oliver’ I’d like to point out your forum spelling is as bad as your professional copy and your inconsistency and backtracking is appauling.

And yes, I’m a professional journalist.

• Number 9

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Keegan and Shearer but we need someone with scouting links if BSA’s people leave.
    Alan is an intelligent chap and would make an ideal manager. I do think that it makes a difference as to whether the manager used to be a defender or an attacker as a player to the type of football played.
    So with both KK and AS it should be “carpet football”
    There is just too much speculation about at the moment.
    Keegan is favourite now. I hope Mike Ashley is sitting with Keegan and Shearer at this moment sorting out how they can work together. After all I don’t think there are many others that would approach the job with the enthusiasm that they would. And that would be infectious.

• Domininufc

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Totally agree let Alan and KK do the job with the right funds and support they would be ideal. The club would get an instant lift as well

• Domininufc

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Alan Oliver my bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• James

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM

So let’s ASSume it is gospel. That means not only does Shearer not have any experience, he has also NEVER met Mike Ashley.

So what the hell makes people think Ashley is lining Shearer up to be Manager. Utter tosh

I love Shearer as much as anyone but he is years away from being ready for it, and Ashley knows this.

• Kevin Hann

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Ain’t Keegan appointed yet?

• geordiejayne13

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I have to say I have never been so dispressed with the situation at Newcastle apart from when I wanted Fat Fred out.

I honestly thought that NUFC had something up their sleeve when they let SA go.

I am increasingly worried about the situation as I find that CM?MA have had no forward thinking before his dismissal.

I for one would love Shearer to manage the club, new owner, new chairman, Shearer as manger, the club would certainly go forward.

What are they thinking about. I have backed MA and CM all the way but Nothing, ziltch, we may not have much to fight to win for this season, but Relegation is something we can not get involved in and it slowly catching us up. Now is the time to sort this out. They could make a huge mistake by not getting a manager the fans would like to see here. If we can not entice the so called big managers to the club because we are not in champs league well I say stuff them.

Is it not the new managers Job to get us in the Champs league.

I love KK but my vote is for Shearer without or without KK

• Tom_Toon

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM

camacho would be good.

• Leo*

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM

hes not really alan ‘anal’ oliver hes just having some fun, which is what football was meant to be, not all this.

• craig chisholm

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM

for me, it has to be alan shearer as right hand man and kk or jose etc. forget venables, hughes, rednapp, deschamps, jol, van gal and all these other tossers. they will be in and out the door in five minutes with a 5 million pay off. we really do need a top manager, in that i mean a top bloke, a bloke who digs us and has a true passion for us. this equation must have shearer in it. to be honest, i think that he could probably do it as the main man. hows this for a team SHEARER and SPEED? i would like that. exp as a manager counts for bugger all compared to passion and respect of the dressing room.

• Jim

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Either Shearer or Keagan or them both together would totally make me happy.
    If Keegan gets it he could steady the ship then pass the batton onto Shearer, however if Shearer gets it out right i’m confidant that he’ll do a good job.
    People often talk about us not sticking with our managers, i think Shearer will be given time, and also he will pretty much be here for life. He wouldn’t want to manage another club, so he’d only leave if England comes calling.
    I’m excited…it feels like christmas, i just wish Santa will hury up and come.

• GeordieSecretAgent

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Keegan and Shearer is definitely going to happen..Ive got it from a good sauce…

My mate Davie Heinz has a mate whos sisters friend works as a glass collector in the bar down the road from Shearers bar and she says one of her friends brothers saw Keegan and Shearer getting into a taxi together outside of Julies nightclub at 3.00am last night. He was quite drunk but insists it was probably them even though they were wearing disguises. Why would they both be in Newcastle if they werent talking to Ashley……

• indian toon

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:06 PM

cmon the suspense is killing me!!! actually it’s really worth supporting nufc u know. its like a rollercoaster.

• tdt

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:06 PM

i concur leo*

• chennai toon

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM

—–camacho linked with toon……….

• geordiejayne13

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM

craig spot on m8. What about Shearer Ferdinand lol that would be good to see

• toon sooth

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I am gettin really tired of all this speculation over the next manager. all I want is to get back to normal and look forward to the next match whoever is in fuppin charge(soz Ed ).

Howay the lads, show us you’ve got the spirit to stuff it to Stoke tonight.
    Toon Toon.

• GeordieSecretAgent

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Is that the Real “Gay” Gordon?

• broon ale

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I am so sick of Alan Oliver that I actually emailed him to tell him what I think about him. He has today claimed that didier deschamps agent phoned him to ask if there is any french schools in the area. yesterday he claimed he took a call from an assistant manager of a top premier league manager expressing their desire to be considered.. i nearly put my fist through the screen when i read this.. why would anyone call some grey haired moron who has nowt to do with the club!! anyways,, his email address is alan.oliver@ncjmedia.co.uk

Gordon,, you should email him coz you can put your argument to him better that i can

• Hammy

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM

This is dragging on that long it’s not funny……
    I’ve still got my fiver on Coppell at 1000-1.
    I’ll see you guys in Shearer’s in a couple of weeks and get the drinks in with my winnings.
    Cheers. Providing you’re over 18 of course.

• mark

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Coppell is 16/1 mate, still though, drinks on you!

• mark

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Hey lads, if you give me your email address i can forward you an email i got from Anal Olive, its a crease, i griefed him to fvck once, was classic.

• Jim

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Good luck hammy mate, but i hope you lose haha.

• GeordieSecretAgent

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:19 PM

broon ale,

Why the acid towards Alan Oliver. Im sure hes a good fella just doing his job and im also sure he knows a lot more about the inner workings of NUFC than snipers like yourself.

• Kevin Hann

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Broon mate I think there is no better way to react to this than putting your fist through the monitor 😉

Again, still no news on Keegan’s appointment? You guys have a total media blackout there??

• Number 9

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM

You know I think we are making it easy for these guys at Sky Sports, we just find the latest and post them and then they add it to their site. Let’s go quiet and see if they can come up with something original.
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in Mike Ashleys office and know what they are thinking.
    Ant and Dec have been very quiet recently lets see if we can get a Sky Sports exclusive.

• AdamJD2

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Wow….Shearer has definitely impressed me. He’s a class act!!! I know people out there doubt his experience but I think he has what it takes to manage NUFC, if given a proper chance.

• toonoholic

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM

we are linked with camacho now

geez .. next we wld be linked with wenger for sure

• craydave

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Lets just get it sorted, the longer iits dragging on, the more the southern press is making us feel like fools. My choice is of course Alan Shearer, but not with Keagan, Keagan has been out of the game for too long, and I think most people have forgot, it was Keagan who dismantled our promising youth policy at the time.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM

camacho would be a nice appointment, it said talks were going on months ago. I thought they were looking for a new manager when sam was still at the helm.

• Number 9

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Big Phil Scolari seen in Newcastle…

That will get em going again!

• James

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Camaco is a Real Madrid man through and through, and they sacked him twice. Once after only 22 days as Manager.

Was then sacked as Spanish boss after losing to South Korea in the World Cup 2002.

I lived in Spain for quite a while and Camacho is considered the McLaren/Souness of Spanish football. He can’t get a job in Spain for love or money. Hence why he had to go to Portugal. Benefica are rumoured to be sacking him in the summer, so guess who gets linked to him…

Was actually a good player in his day, but TERRIBLE manager.

• Johnny Bickle

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Mike please give Alan Shearer the job he’s the only man that truely understand and RESPECTS the job required. He would have an immediate affect on both the fans and player alike. And give our club the lift it so needs and deserves.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM

James – Dont spout what you read from the web.

His football is good and with stability he COULD win us things.

Id rather have and see good football and get into europe than win trophies.

• toonoholic

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM

u just want flores .. dont you ?

1 2 3 5