Shearer Wants Newcastle Manager Job

Alan Shearer has made no secret of the fact that one day he would like to manage Newcastle United.

alan-shearer-5.jpg

Alan Shearer – thinks he could do the job required

Alan said that yesterday when returning to Newcastle Airport from his vacation in Barbados. But he then amplified on that statement yesterday, and said he had already had contact with Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort, was interested in the job, and would have talked about it to Chris Mort if invited.

Alan told the Times yesterday:

“A couple of days after Sam Allardyce got the sack, I got a call from the club to say they were looking for an experienced manager, which ruled me out,”

“What I can say is that if you want someone to galvanize the dressing room, get them organized and playing then, yes, I think I could do that. If they want that and someone with experience then I’m not that man.”

“People have talked about me being a number two under an experienced manager.” “But if they are after an experienced manager, which they are, he will no doubt want his own man.”

“All I would say is that if someone comes in and wants to talk to me, I would be willing to help in any way I can.”

“I understand and respect their decision. But there are plenty of people who have taken on big jobs in their first managerial role and made sure they have gathered experienced people around them.”

“If they had asked me to meet the chairman to talk about this job, I would have done it.”

This seems a clear play by Alan to let Ashley and Mort know that he is now interested, and apparently would even be willing to be assistant manager for a couple of years before taking over. This may be something that Mike Ashley will now need to think about – appointing a senior man with Alan as assistant manager. However, they may be too far down the path of the manager appointment to change things now.

And when you look back to Roeder’s short reign at the club maybe Alan had more impact in the dressing room than we gave him credit for. Newcastle’s form picked up dramatically when he partnered Roeder in managing the club from February 2006, but Roeder on his own, was unable to maintain that form in the following season, and was sacked last May.

• Number 9

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:05 AM

I think this is the big sticking point at the moment. Catch 22
    You give it shearer and he does his best but has no previous experience, or you bring in another manager who now knows Shearer wants the job and if they go through a bad patch people are going to start chanting Shearer from the stands. What do we do. I think to settle this Shearer should be there in some capacity so the fans can’t turn like this and therefore would get behind the management TEAM.
    Perhaps Keegan/Shearer or Deschamps/Zola/Shearer ?

• ObaFan2

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Have you seen KK is favourite with most of the bookies now Ed. 2-1 with Ladbrokes shortest price.

Shearer isn’t daft imo, if given the job he’d have helpful and trustworthy people around him. I’d say Mr Venables could be his choice and he (Venables) has seen it all.

Premature maybe for the Toon job but maybe it’s destiny who knows? The bookies don’t seem to fancy him for the job now.

• ObaFan2

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Somethings happening, Deschamps has drifted to 6-1 in 30 mins from 7-2.
    KK clear fav, even 4-1 with betfair.

• James

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Talk all you want about Shearer. He will not be involved in the new set up.

• Leo*

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM

nothing is happening, its the bookmakers making mischief…

its beggining to anoy me now waiting for the new manager. we have waited a long time, and it has been a real fuss on the tele with sky sports news constantly repeating and replacing their stories about who is going to be the new manager, their best bet was to stay with kk as their favourite until they heart good information

then again if they did this skybet would not be earning as much…

we are the laughing stock of the footballing world. the only way i for one will feel better is if we smash stoke tonight, i will be in the stands doing my bit.

decided to sit in my seats which i used to 4 seasons ago, when things were better than now, hopefully that will help haha

• Andy T

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM

If I were to look right now for a dream team it would be this.

Manager: Alan Shearer
    Assistant: Terry Venables

Ashley and Mort are good business men, but they dont know the Football business world yet. That’s why they want an experienced manager, because they need him to help them work on the management of the club in terms of signing/enticing player etc. Venables football and business experience would be fantastic there, and he is experienced enough to be able to help Alan out and on top of that is a decent coach. If Venables was willing to be sub muppet to McClown, then assistant to Shearer at NUFC can only enhance his reputation :o). It would also be a stepping stone to being appointed director of football at the club if he wanted to go that way and let someone else get into the assistant managers post in the future.

Anyone remember Keegans first managerial Job?

• Ausgeordie

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I think Shearer is a bit of shit for saying that. You can already see the press. As soon as the new manager has a bad run everyone will be saying that we should have given it to shearer simply because the first time he has said that he wants the job is when he has been immediatly ruled out.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Fed up with all of this now !!! Would much rather NUFC go public with their efforts, at least then we are able to see the types of manager they are trying to bring in – I don’t think all this is good for our club!!

• Black and White Blood

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Ausgeordie – You can’t blaim Shearer for confirming his desire to manage the club – I guess it’s ok for other managers to though!

• ObaFan2

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Idd Ausgeordie but he also said he’s be prepared to help in any way he can if wanted.
    I take this as he loves the club and is prepared to back and help any manager if they so wish for the good of the club.

• Arthur Prince

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM

AndyT I agree with your blog wholeheartedly .
    I wasnt sure about Big Alinitially, but he has the passion and the Strength of personality and is a Geordie through and through and with Some lIke El Tel whom I always reckogned was a good England manager who also knows the game inside and out would be a good no 2 /advisor . I also think SBR has something to input as well as an advisor bearing in mind he isnt as well as he used to be .
    I have watched the Blog for the past week in silence just listening to teh opinions which go from one end of the spectrum to another.

I would go for Alan Shearer now and El Tel
    Listen to the Roar at SJP if he was appointed

• Black Caesar

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Alan Shearer to be the new manager’s assistant is a NO NO NO non-starter!

Imagine being the manager and knowing full well that the guy next to you will replace you at most in a couple of years time, and that you are merely keeping the seat warm for him! No top manager worth his salt would accept that. This will likely cause friction in the managerial set-up and cast a shadow over everything.

If Shearer wants to manage Newcastle he should look for a smaller club, show what he can, and if he does well, he ll have the job waiting for him.

Shearer, please behaving like a spoilt baby and earn yourself the Newcastle job.

• Black Caesar

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Terry Venables was assistant manager to Steve McClaren, what did he do there?

Venables was in charge of Leeds, what did he also do ther?

• Willowtoon

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Shearer thought he had all the cards and let his mates drop hints. Under Shepherd he would already be the manager.

Mort coming out about experiance has made Al now realise that he needs to push himself forward publicly.

He knows to do it now before the stoke game means everyone will be chanting Shearer.

I think he realises that if a top coach comes in and turns it around then he will have no alternative but to manage lower down and hope to get the NUFC job later in life if ever.

He knew Allardyce wasn’t the answer so wasn’t worried.

Keegan is the only one who is on a par with Shearer due to his past playing record as well as manager. Kevin also works his best with a wealthy owner who has sole control of the club.

He is also the only name consistantly in the top of the betting ALL WEEK.

• ChrisM

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Black and white blood – newcastle are far better off keeping quiet as they are at present. Have you forgotten the debacle which led up to Souness’s appointment. Things were far too public. Every potential manger approached was open to the media and all of the rejections were making us a laughing stock. At least at this moment things are purely speculation. This is far more acceptable as it purely the witterings of a bunch of media twats who havent a clue and are tring to justify their salaries.

Would love KK and shearer but BLACK CESAR is right in the resect of undermining a manager.

Also if you were given a manager’s job and told who you had to have as assistant, you wouldnt take it. A manager has to be free to choose his own team otherwise things are going wrong from the very start.

• ChrisM

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:53 AM

However KK is a big enough legend at the toon. If anyone wouldnt be undermined it would be having him as manager. Anybody else it wouldnt work at all.

• paulthepom

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:54 AM

what can we lose by appointing shearer?nothing.he understands the club ,the fans and the geordie mentallity.we cant get any worse than we are now and can anybody think of a manager that would take the pressure off the current situation,more than big al,plus he would be in it for the long haul.we start from the bottom and work up.with sound experience along side him to begin with we could and should be looking at the next alex ferguson.come on ma and cm,give it to al and watch us fly.king kev runs a close second but i dont reckon he has the bottle or the tactical nous when the going gets tough,as already proven.SHEARER SHEARER SHEARER

• ObaFan2

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM

That would be the whole point of having an interview, to find out what the candidate’s aims, ambitions, ideas would be. Also who their targets for players would be and who their ideas of backroom staff would be etc.
    If these were not acceptable then the candidate would not be successful.
    I’d be dissapointed if they did not atleast talk to Shearer.

• Willowtoon

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Obafan. maybe Mort & Ashley think Shearer is not good for NUFC. Look at how he dominated the club as a player over 10 years.

Ashley said he will run the club his way. Shearer is out of the club now and maybe he wants to keep it that way.

• ObaFan2

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:02 AM

idd but don’t think that I neccesarily want Shearer to be manager.
    I know more of who I don’t want than who I do want.

• Ozzie dave

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Look there is no way we will get the people with the experience we all crave. So why on earth would we not give some one who is all those things in the making with the right support and he is everyone’s no 1 Geordie as well.

Come on lets get the fans choice the Shearer campaign underway lets flood all the sites with Give shearer ago

• Neil

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Come on Leo* how can you suggest we have waited a long time for a manager??? You are being brain washed by the media. We must wait patiently as hurried decisions in the past have brought us nothing – i.e Souness.
    Ed you make a very valid point about us picking up under Roeder AND Shearer in Feb time – That is something I had never thought about to be fair so well done on that front.
    I am sure I speak for us all in that I just want to get a manager who lives/breathes/wants every success for NUFC. I don’t want the club being a stepping stone for Hughes etc etc I just want us to achieve what we should be able to given the players available to the new manager.
    It’s a massive decision for the new board like isn’t it!!

• Leo*

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM

nah neil not being swayed by the media, just a fact that i hate waiting, im like a spoiled bratt. haha am only kidding. im just sick of ssn reporting crap about us, and then waiting, and the crap was not true

• paul p

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:24 AM

ok. going to the shearer debate, i will just say one thing, look when sourness was sacked, glenn roeder was caretaker manager and who was his assistant then… of course alan shearer. what type of football did we play? attacking. yes. how many games did we lose in that period. 1 at man utd 2-0, also got our best result against sunderland for a long time, even though they were poor. roeder took the all the glory. shearer retired, left newcastle, where did we finish with roeder on his own, 13th, plus he was sacked. I think this theory proves it was down to alan shearer why we put an unbeatten run together that season before he retired. if it was’nt, roeder would have still been here now…. enough said really. get al and keegan in now!

• Neil

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Sorry Leo* – It can seem like a lifetime at NUFC waiting for things. I’m 27 and I’m still waiting for a trophy (Apart from our League 1 Championship which I celebrated in the streets with Keegan and the boys!!) worthy of any note. Even the Charity Shield would’ve done me!!!! LOL

• Neil A H

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM

He obviously wants the job. If we don’t get Deshamps, who I think would be great then Shearer would be my next choice with Houllier out of the running. Keegan just doesn’t seem like his heart is totally in managing anymore.

• Andy T

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM

@Black Caesar
    Leeds – I don’t think god himself could have done much with Leeds. The second anyone looked even remotely capable of kicking a football they had to try and flog them to pay off debt.
    England assistant – coached the players and gave advise, but ultimately things were up to McClaren. There’s plenty of rumours doing the rounds that El Tel’s advice was ignored because McLaren wanted to be his own man and to be honest – thats fine. I’d have him there to advise Shearer (and Ashley and Mort for that matter), but not to make the decisions. He’s the only England manager wasn’t sacked for poor performance. He was sacked because of his dodgey business dealings in the transfer market. A bit daft really because as an international manager he was out of that anyway. Before anyone shouts we don’t need another shady dealer at the club – that’s why I wouldn’t have him as a decision maker. But trust me, having the input of someone who knows the legit and shady side of the business can be excellent for making good legit decisions especially if the other party are trying to pull something.
    Totally agree that no one in their right mind would appoint Shearer as their right hand man at Newcastle because its like time limiting your earning potential. I also think it will be hard for Shearer to go and prove himself at any other club, because anyone with a shot at being successful wants to get in a manager that they can keep around for a while and the second he looks like being a good manager we’ll want him at Newcastle. That’s why I think bringing him in now with experience in his assistant is potentially the best way forward.

• stjames

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:49 PM

You’r right Ed (“maybe Alan had more impact in the dressing room than we gave him credit for”). It’s not like Shearer and his abilities as a player and as a manager’s assistant are unknown in Newcastle. I’m sure Mike and Mort have asked around. Let’s not forget that some of the best managers in the business had instant success without prior (formal) experience.

Among them, Didier Deschamps.

• scott9

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:49 PM

shearer shearer shearer shearer shearer shearer shearer shearer give him the job please

• ende

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I’ve heard the idea tossed around of Shearer as manager with someone like KK in the Director of Football role. That way you avoid any friction between a manager and an assistant manager, and yet still benefit ‘Young Alan’ from Keegan’s experience. Plus, Keegan can take care of the transfer market, perhaps with a bit of Alan’s involvement (to get him experience). KK’s gunna retire eventually, at which point Shearer takes full control of all football operations at St James.

I’m not necessarily 100% in favor of this option, but it seems the most feasible to me in terms of bringing Alan in with someone else.