Keegan Impressed with Ashley and Mort

Kevin Keegan has spoken today about the decision to come back to Newcastle United, and in the end, he says the decision was very easy.

Kevin Keegan – decision was very easy in the end

Kevin is finally back at St James’ Park and as we had thought, Kevin says the challenge of bringing Newcastle back to the top with the help of billionaire owner Mike Ashley was just irresistible.

Kevin said this afternoon:

“I wouldn’t say it was a big decision,” “I love this football club, and I don’t think anyone would ever doubt that.”“From that point of view, you know life has moved on and I was doing other things. I had to make a decision, and in the end it was a very easy one.”

“I’ve met the owner Mike Ashley and I like him very much. I also met the chairman Chris Mort, and just talking to them I felt they both knew what they are doing.”

“I spent an hour with Mike and that convinced me it is right to come back to help him what he’s doing with Newcastle United and what he wants from the football club.”

“There’s some unfinished business here. Everybody’s got their opinions on the game of football and what people shouldn’t do and shouldn’t do, but I think this is right and I certainly think they’re strong group of players, which is something which I didn’t know when I came last time.”

“When I came last time, we were wondering whether we could fill the stadium. That’s not the problem here as you well know. It will be trying to get a stadium big enough.”

“It’s very, very exciting, I’m just as excited this time as when I was when I came to play here at 31, and when I came to be manager.” “People from other parts of the country don’t understand the Geordies, and you know I do. This is my third time here.”

“My Dad was a Geordie. I understand them, I know what they want and I know what they don’t want, as well and you know as long as they are realistic and a little bit patient, I think we can try again and have dreams again, and possibly win something.”

His dad being a Geordie has obviously helped him gel immediately with the Newcastle people, and he is of course very loved in the area. Now he has to do it all over again, and that will not be easy.

And as Kevin says we must be patient.

However, as we all know, Keegan is a very special lad, and we think he will succeed – again. And this time Newcastle will really be on the world map of football, as a team that plays the game like it should be played – just like Brazil is known for that internationally.

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:48 PM

now let’s be realistic and take some heat of our manager.!! the only thing now is to challenge for top six ( top half will do) and a good run in the cup. get organised to challenge for the champions league spot for the next season.!! ALL HAIL KING KEV!!

• iain

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM

just my opinion, but what hes saying backs up the theory that he only left in the first place becuase the board where so dodgy.

i wonder if hes always been keen to return as long as the people above him where good people he could trust not to interfere.

• Leo*

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM

so looking forward to the newcastle bolton game now

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:56 PM

i wonder who is gonna play midfield with zogbia!!!

• milner fan

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I dont think we will have agreat season just because kk is back. I think a gd cup run is going to be the only thing to look forward to this season. Dont expect too much, will need to wait until next season when hes brought in his staff and new players.

• ToonKing

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:04 PM

imagine if Harry had taken the job…………………..

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Deja vu. 🙂

Still can’t quite believe it. He’s always had respect here and he’s certainly earned it in the past.

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Harry who?

or who the feck is Harry?

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM

@ obafan 2:::: harry redknapp is the portsmouth manager!!! lol!!

• Coolsmurf

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM

expectations will be high this Saturday, can’t wait for a swashbuckling day!

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Oh thats the guy who a week ago was getting £750,000 a year and no funds for transfers !!!!!

This week he’s …………………… STILL dodgy ha ha ha

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:11 PM

i could only dream of being at SJP , you guys are so lucky man.. one day hopefully!!!

• ChrisL

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I think we may well continue to struggle this season, it happened when he came here last time & as a player. But next season……!!!

• Griff

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I will be there for the away game at Villa come Feb 9th… cannot wait now 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Nick C

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM

It was mint inside the ground last night. A proper atmosphere watching great football played on the deck.

More please!!

• Drago

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Indian Toon exactly, but i am where i am and i am in Lithuania where basketball rules 🙂 but one day I will be at St.James park 😉 i promise

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Drago and Indian Toon – Well done for supporting the team from afar. It’s fans like you that make the club special

• Davey

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Indian Toon / Drago. You will be welcome as honourary Geordies. You have to taste taste that match day city centre air to understand. Come soon.

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM

@ davey and james. i really appreciate that. thanks.

• Drago

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM

yeah me too 🙂 now lets hope to get some good players in

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Hey Drago-

you can be Lithuanian scout- any stars on the horizon there?

Same goes for you Indian Toon- where ever you may be!

• ToonKing

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I also suuport the toon from abroad now but i’ve been fortunate enough to see the Toon and Keegan at it’s prime. My dad is a doctor and trough some experience exhange program he worked 2 years in Newcastle during 1995-1997 and we were at St James with every chance we got. I was only 10-12 years old then but i cannot thanx him and the gods enough. Long live Newcastle, HOWAY THE LADS!!!!!!

• Obafan

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM

I once came from Belgium to see a game and the atmosphere in town was fantastic. It was the game against Charlton on a cold night in December 2005. Yes that is right, the game that was suspended because it was starting to snow. I was really p*ssed, but one day I will return to St James to see a game.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:02 PM

my father-in-law came over from Sweden for the same match! What a gutter.
    Went to the replay, and it was one of the worst games ever. Things can only get better!

Sven actually came back over just before Christmas and I took him to the Derby game. 2-2.
    He should’ve stayed at home!

• geordie taipei

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:04 PM

• J

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM

i wonder wether this is true?????

Defoe?? Do we need him??? boss Keegan joins Villa in race to land Spurs star Defoe/

what do you think?

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:09 PM

The atmos standing (yes standing) in the Gallogate was second to none.

Now we have a fantastic stadium and I heard we’re getting another 10,000 seats? Any1 know for sure?

• Femi Lena Lover

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I love to wake up to having special K in the morning! 🙂

• Veliz

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Finally a decent man for the Job, this guy has the right attitude , I just hope he bring success, i Really miss that.

Salutes from Chile ! … Chilean Fan .

• Steeley

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM

ToonKing (RE: Post 6) – I’d rather not!! lol

• jp

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Boys and girls around the world……..wake up, smell the roses and be aware, be very aware. The messiah is home and he’s coming to redeem those soft southern chicken lipped journos who will be puking an enormous amount of humble pie all over their misguided hatrd of NUFC.

We all forgave our God for leaving and the reasons for which he did, anyone with the self respect he has would do not a thing differently to what he did that sad day in 1997, our club and it’s most amazing of followers were being sold by a fat twat with a scrap metal backround was gunning for our coffers and cashing in on what we call love and what they class as blinded stupidity.

The only other person we ever trused had the best of interests for our club was, of course, Sir Bob. All who came in the interim were a part of the cash brigade who never truely gave a shoite and whom certainly were treating us as a stepping stone to early retirement.

The atmosphere is back and the world hasbecome once again better place for having Newcastle United entertaining it’s football desire.

Take a bow.

P.S. At least my Keegan tattoo doesnt look too out of place, though he looks a canny bit younger whan he does now

• God

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Now that I have returned my boy to you, make sure you look after him. “Or Else”

Glad you were able to get rid of the of my opposite numbers spawn.

Thats two miracles, I think I need my bottledog now.

• Toon Goat

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I can’t believe this. Has everybody gone mad? There’s an old saying – ‘You can never go back’. This will not work! Look at him at Man City! look where they were in the league when he left them (16th) and the shambles they were in. The game has moved on and you cannot win things on emotion alone. Actually, ‘King Kev’, never won anything anyway did he. A three and a half year contract? Do me a favour – he’ll have spat out his dummy and left long before that. Just like he did with us before – and with England. I’ve supported the Toon since the fifties and I SOOOOO hope I’m wrong – but I bet I’m not.

• Bosck

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM

toon goat- dont talk rubbish he rejuvinated city and got them promoted then came 9th the next season he then had a bad start to the season and a lot of other issues were going on (mainly in the board room) at city so he left . This incidently was the same reason he left us first time round as the board was under the control of fs and wanted to interfere having just made the club a plc. he is now happy to return under 1 owner as with john hall when he joined originally.

and he may not have one anything but he came so close to winning the title, and i’d possibly even settle for winning nothing but at least coming that close again.

and even if we dont win anything at least we’ll see a return to attacking football we all love again.

on the other subject everyone was posting about. unfortunately the only time i have been to st james park was the 2-2 draw with the smoggies under souness, when every in the stadium could see yakubu was about to make a run behind boumsong and away to score, apart from boumsong himself.

Being born and bred near canterbury people think i’m strange for supporting the toon but loved them when i was a kid and stuck with them ever since.

one day i’ll have a season ticket though, if i can ever save enough cash!!!

• scott9

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM

im so exited

• The black in the blacknwhite

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM

and i just cant hide it-

sorri scott9- had to be done

i think alot of toon on saturday are gonna lose control and i think i like it!

so strange how it is bolton were playing sat –

FAT SAM HAS TO WATCH hahahahahah

• Ant

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:33 AM

If the Fat B@st@rd Sam managed to stick 3 past Bolton, what are the odds Keegan can bang in 30?