Keegan Still Undecided on Assistant Manager

Kevin Keegan has still not decided who will be his assistant manager at Newcastle United.

kevin-keegan-4635.gif

Kevin Keegan – back at the club he loves

But it appears that Kevin will be talking to Alan Shearer about the second in command position. When asked whether he had decided on his assistant manager yet, Kevin told the Shields Gazette this afternoon:

“No, not yet.” “Obviously I’ve just started. I’ve literally just come down here in the clothes I had on yesterday.”“I’ve come down from Glasgow with my wife behind me.”

“I think she thinks I need some deodorant on. Not only that, but I had forgotten how cold it is up here.”

“I’ll have a good look at the squad and the training ground. I’ve not been to the training ground. It’s not the same one I left all those years ago.”

“So I’m going to learn a lot in a short space of time, and we’ve got a big game on Saturday.”

We know Alan wants to get into the running of the club and he’s been surprisingly open during the last two days that he wants to assist Newcastle United in any way he can.

So the fact Kevin is going to discuss it with him could open the way for Alan to be announced as Kevin’s assistant manager tomorrow. We really don’t know if that will happen or whether it can work.

It will be difficult, because for once Alan will not be the top guy in control of things. But the next thing is for the two of them to sit down and talk and they know they have to do what’s best for the club. They’ll decide if they think they can do it together. Maybe they can.

What do you think?

Comments always welcome.

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:04 PM

chris coleman is the best option currently. i mean just look at the job he had done at fulham, to get a man who has been a premiership manager as u r no 2 is fantastic,!! get him while you still can keegan. also get bobby robson and peter pedro beardsley as consultants!!!

• Martin

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I don’t think that Shearer would have a problem working under Keegan. He’s smart enough to realise that he probably needs to learn the ropes and who better to teach him than the man who brought him to Newcastle in the first place.
    Anyway Shearer worked under Roeder for a short while. Personally I think it would be the icing on the cake if Shearer came but if it is to be Coleman then so be it.

• Toon Al

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:10 PM

deffo pedro!

• GM

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:11 PM

In what statement has Keegan said that he is going to speak to Shearer about the assistants job? i’ve not seen any of that. Shearer has said he would speak to KK but not the other way round…? or am i missing something

• George

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Lets not rush him into a quick announcement, let him weigh up all his options. afterall we do not want anything rash to happen just to quieten down the media. for once we at NUFC have the upper hand, dont lets spoil it.
    Take your time Kevin and make it happen.

• Indian toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM

also tony adams would be fantastic!!!

• Davey

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Yes, Keegan doesn’t need to rush this one. Concentrate on getting the squad we have ready for saturday and looking at transfer targets. He is the Boss and will make his own decisions on staff.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM

PETER REID!

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Of course not!

But surely there must be some expertise already in place with the army of staff BSA brought in.

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Dear Kevin

Quique Flores’s mobile number is…….

🙂

• Willowtoon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I’ve said it before AS is now desperate to be part of this set up as he knows it will work and if he is not part of it he has little chance of walking in 3 years later. Unless he works lower down and does a good job in the next few years.

I don’t think Mort & Ashley want him at the club. I also think its a bid sad the way MOTD mates bigged him up for the no 2 spot. All looks a bit desperate to me.

Great player and toon legend, needs to shut up now and wait and see what happens.

• Davey

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:36 PM

James, you don’t bloody give up do you!

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Going to be awkward cos Pearson’s there and ofc that means he’ll probably be sacked. I hope some roll is available for him if he wants it.

Coleman sounds good because of his defensive atributes.

Shearer would be good too, maybe him no.2 with Coleman given some title too?

• Paul Sims

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:41 PM

All the Newcastle fans seem over the moon, but don’t people think it would have been a bit more sensible to go for Mark Hughes? I’m a Blackburn fan, so glad you didn’t, but looking back to Keegan can’t be a great idea. Can it?

Also at the magazine I work for, New Humanist, the appointment got us to thinking who could be the real Messiah. Keegan, Jesus, David Icke, Capello, Shearer? We’re running an opinion poll. You can vote here: http://blog.newhumanist.org.uk/2008/01/whats-messiah.html

Come over and get your votes in for King Kev. Or Shearer.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Manger – King Kev
    Assistant – Prince Colemean
    First Team Coach – Steward Shearer

🙂

• Rob Kirton

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM

A couple of voices shouting for Beardsley, may not be aware of the situation. He already works for the club, but in a public relations role.

To bring him back onto the coaching staff would have him work with Terry Mac who effectively had Beardsley sacked from the back room coaching staff a couple of years ago (long story – Beardsley accused of bullying Terry Mac’s Son)

Don’t know if they’ve kissed and made up, though Keegan is great mates with both – so we will see.

• Singa_toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Get his picture up on the banner mate!

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM

It’s true what KK says about understanding Geordies.
    The rest of the footballing nation seem to view this appointment as some kind of joke- it may not be instantenous, but they know some terrible power has just been unleashed-
    a bit like that Balrog thing from Lord of The Rings!

The crowd will now be totally different at home matches, and noone will fancy coming to play here. Toon away support is always first class- they’ll just be a bit louder now.

• Nev

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM

tom-toon – that would be fantastic

any news on any of the staff leaving ?
    pearson or steve round ?

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Here’s some memories for you 🙂

i know i posted it elsewhere by mistake 🙁

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM

May be a bit of a shock for the lads on African Nations duty- training-tourament camps often have media shut off.

• thelongshanks

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Saw pearson after the bolton game yesterday.He didnt look to happy when talkin about our victory but looked as if this is his last few days at the toon.Should keep him in charge of youth team.

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM

He once had a time in the sun
    With flair and passion we won
    Now a new era has risen our hope
    F**k off media, Keegan can cope!

• MattyDread

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I want to see Rob Lee come in as assistant. He’s been coaching for a few years now so it’s only fair he gets to join in the revolution. (And he was my favourite player so I’m a little bias)

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:59 PM

ObaFan2-

great clip!

I was at the match a couple of seasons ago when I passed a bloke with his young son who was about 12 years old.

Peter Beardsley walked up the directors steps past us, and I heard the bloke say to his boy-
    ‘Look son, there’s Peter Beardsley’.
    I could almost detect a small tear begin to well in his eye, as the fond memories came flooding back.
    The boy then replied-
    ‘Dad, who’s Peter Beardsley?’

Now, I not in the habit of chinning 12 year olds, and I sure the bloke wasn’t prone to random acts of violence. But……..

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM

He made us play with passion and flair
    His effect on our club was considered rare
    So Ashley brought him back to ignite the Toon
    No media words could burst this balloon

• Obafan

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM

For me Pearson can stay at the club to work with younger players, it is harsh for him the way things are going. We shall see…

Coleman would be fantastic as n°2 of KK; dhe did a great job at Fulham and IMO he is a very good n°2.

About Shearer; off course he said at MOTD that he would talk to KK if he calls him to be his n°2. What else did you expect? I can’t see Shearer saying on BBC; no, I don’t want to be KK his n°2, I’m disappointed that I’m not the new n°1.

For me Coleman would be perfect. Maybe Stuart Pearce…

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Aww Sloop, maybe it was terry Mac’s son lmao 🙂

I found the clip a few months ago for a Portugese m8 who (as a Poto fan knows SBR) wanted to know more about the Toon and told him that clip kind of summed us up. 😀

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:07 PM

ObaFan2

Spot on with your assessment-

could’ve added this too!
    just listen to the crowd at the end of the clip- louder than a jumbo jet taking of from Sunderland International Airport!!

Oh- they don’t have an airport? Sunderland bus station then!

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Ha ha I did Sloop and found one of Shearer too. 😀

Great minds…………. ha ha hahahahaha

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM

• Tom_Toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:31 PM

• Luke

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I love that he thinks it’s colder in newcastle than glasgow!

• true

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM

dosent it just feel great to be a toon fan…. Imagine the feeling when we WIN a CUP
    maybe the FA cup in 2008 I bet Wenger dosent put the bairnes oot this time.
    come on wor KEV

• ende

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM

How about Coleman as defense coach and Shearer as offense coach? Or Colemand as asst manager and Shearer as striker coach, something along those lines?

I also agree with keeping Pearson around. It might be nice to try to get Roeder back as youth manager but likely not going to happen. Why not give Pearson a try?

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Told you Larsson was using us to get a better deal at Villa :

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM

• Tom_Toon

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:11 PM

How do they come up with 11 players when KK has only been in charge a day.

Its bullsht.