The Vision of Newcastle United

As part of any business plan it’s always good to have a vision, and both Mike Ashley and Chris Mort have laid out a clear view of that vision in the last few days. It’s basically what they want to see from Newcastle United going forward.

mike-ashley-and-chris-mort.jpg

Mike Ashley and Chris Mort – know what they want at Newcastle

The business purpose of a vision for the club is to describe where you want to see the club be in the future – so you’ve then got a good chance of getting there. It’s as simple as that really. 😀

Then everything done at the club is done within the context of this vision, as the club moves closer and closer towards the vision.

Here’s what essentially is our vision for the club – as we move forward – as laid out first by Chairman Chris Mort and then by Owner Mike Ashely.

Chris Mort Statement:

nufc-brand.gif

There has been a great deal of speculation in the past week over who will replace Sam Allardyce as the manager of Newcastle United. The most important thing now is to get the decision right – and lay solid foundations for the future.That is why we will take whatever time is necessary in making the decision. This will be our first managerial appointment since taking control of the Club, and if we are going to get it right then the new manager will have to satisfy a number of criteria, which include:

– To have the team playing with the right balance of winning football and stylish football. This is probably the most difficult task. There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair, and this is one of them. In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning. We appreciate we will have defeats and losing runs along the way but if the team is not trying to play football “on the carpet” as Sir Bobby Robson recently described it I think they will always struggle to win over the followers of Newcastle United.

– We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

– A manager that can speak English. There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

– We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United. As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact. However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League. That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy. We have also seen over recent months the pressures placed on Newcastle United and its manager by some of the press and occasionally by some of the supporters – we need someone who is willing and able to handle that.

Comments by Mike Ashley

nufc-brand.gif

“I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that will try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Manchester United.” “To date I have invested £250million to try and make it happen. And I’m not the only one who could see it wasn’t working with things as they were.”

“So when my chairman (Chris Mort) told me it was time for a change I knew it had to happen. I just knew it was time for me to get involved.” “I had to act, and I did what I should have done in the first place,” “After all I bought this club to make it a success and the harsh truth is there wasn’t much prospect of that.”

“I bought this club to have some fun and I wasn’t having much fun at all. So I did what I should have done in the first place and decided it was time to run the club the way I wanted.” “I must admit that when I bought this club, my instinct was to bring in my own team to run it straight away, including a new manager,”

“That’s no reflection on Sam, that’s just the way I have always done things.” “But for once in my life I ignored my intuition and, looking back, that was a mistake.” “My instinct had never let me down in the past; in fact it’s been one of my biggest strengths, one of the major reasons behind my success.”

“Now is the time to put away my Newcastle shirt,” “I’m not saying I will never go back on the terraces, but now I have to be in the boardroom – I have to be hands on.” “I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that will try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Manchester United.”

Comments always welcome.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Move forward?

NEVER GO BACK- just lokk at the mess that Walter Smith has made of Rangers since he returned!

Actually cancel that last comment!

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Walter Smith doesn’t have a billionaire in his corner willing to bank roll the purchase of any player he wants.

Keegan deserves another crack and if it is Keegan that lands us our first trophy for years, grown men will cry tears of joy in the street

• Aaron D

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Does any one reckon we will get any players in this month? Just read that KK is going to get £50million to spend now and in the summer. Will he make any big signings in January or hold out till the end of the season. He likes attacking, stylish football so hopefully gets some flair players in.

• Glenn.D

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Aaron D…Kev wont sign any players, will wait until the summer then look out.

• John

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:36 PM

hey Aaron,

I kindf off hope he sticks with what he has now, and hold’s onto it for the summer ..

He’d a have a much better idea of what to get then …

I’m so happy he’s back..I can’t see it failing…He knows what we want

• nasher

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM

ED, get keegans photo up there with the players my good friends.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM

James-

Walter Smith has done a cracking job since returning to Rangers, and as you say, without the billionaire chairman.

I’m quite on board with KK’s return- although I was very keen on Van Gaal. The main thing was for the fans to get behind the new gaffer- no danger of that not happening now!

I’m not even that fussed about winning stuff- there were pearls in KK perceived ‘unsuccessful spell’ last time out.
    Anfield games. 3-3 at City. etc. We owe Man.Utd a few with interest- could be a while for that repayment though!

• Leo*

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:53 PM

i heard that mike ashley has come out and stated that this interview was not true (his one at least)

just like the sami hyppia interview. the journo b@st@rds making all the sh1t up

• Black Caesar

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I am not the Prophet Isaiah but i will tell you this – Keegan will not win us a trophy and he wont get into the top 4 even in the next 3 years.

• surey

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM

nice smile in the middle Ed

• John

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM

how do you know black..

Do you know something I don’t 🙂

• stjames

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Ed (or anyone):

Do you know if KK’s press conference will be broadcasted live on tv and on which channels?

• Black Caesar

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM

John Do you really think we can outspend Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool??? They’re all richer than us.

Arsenal can compete because they have an exceptional manager, where in our case, without the money, Keegan’s ability to measure up to Wenger and co. is questionable.

So you see, you dont have to be a Prophet to suss this out.

• Bosck

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Black caeser maybe not but 5th would still be much better than we’ve had in a while!!!!

• Atrocious_Footwear

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Those Ashley comments have been denied as having ever been made. Get on http://www.nufc.com or at least fact check.

You douche.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Kevin’s photo is up there – you may have to refresh your cache. 😀

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:15 PM

The press conference is on SkySports News at 2pm tomorrow.

We can only compete with the big boys if Keegan buys well in the transfer market. He needs to find those little gems like he did last time. Or Mort has to pay massive wages to the world superstars to get them to come to SJP.

• Oleg

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM

yep, Black Caesar, you are defenetly not a prophet, so if u dont have something good to say, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

“The Vision” if this morning is to go by will be blurry eyed after the games and lot’s o hangovers and late for morning appointments 😀

Black Caesar you may be right but he’ll give it everything he has to prove you wrong I’m sure and I’m happy with that tbh.

The “top 4” are so rich now (with money and talent) it’s difficult for any team to break the monopoly.

We do have a billionaire for manager whose hobbie is NUFC and that’s an interesting and unique position in EPL. Top 6 as a target initially and then maybe top 4 OR TOP even. A 3 1/2 year contract, top 6 as target and back to European football is realistic.

• JJ

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

If I can say one thing it is to beg Newcastle fans to give their manager time. I will supprt KK even if we finish 15th or worse because I know that if he gets the sack no manager will want to work their. Except for maybe Alan Shearer. and if he fails then we have lost two heroes.
    Then the club is finished!
    It is not make or brake for the club unless we the supporters cannot get behind our boys AND manager for at least a few seasons despite results.
    For me, if we play entertaining football and finish top 10 for the nxt few seasons then I will be a happy fan.

• James

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Possible Team for Bolton game :

Given
    Carr Taylor Cacapa Enrique
    Milner Lua Lua Nzogbia Duff
    Viduka Owen

• Bottlodog

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Black Ceasar – maybe, maybe not but at this moment in time I don’t give a flying f**k – for the first time in YEARS I’m looking forward to going to SJP – Roll on Saturday – can’t wait.
    I wasn’t in favour of KK’s return but it’s gripped me – It’s the right appointment at the right time – it’s a beginning, the start of something special.
    KK may not finish it but he’s vital to it’s birth
    Once again – ROLL ON SATURDAY!!!!!!

• John

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Black caeser what do you mean we dont have the money…

Have you seen the size off big Mike’s wallet ? mate he’s worth 1.9 Billion ….

Were richer than Man united man

• John

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM

well said Bottlodog..

Some people are just never happy..No matter who gets appointed your always going to get your few who are not happy..

I think at very least 90% off Geordies are excited about the future

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Ha ha bottlodog good nick 🙂 I hate it when people call it newkie brown 😀

People never believe me (outside of Toon)when I tell um the truth about what it’s really called.

• StevieA

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Good appointment in my eyes. Newcastle are buzzing and the fans are too!

I said that Hughes, Redknapp and Hiddink would be ‘good appointments. My 2 great appointements would be Mourinho and a certain Kevin Keegan.

People are underestimating what a team full of confidence can do. We played good football against Stoke. Much more wing play and much more attacking minded. I think we are 4 players short of the top 5.

Liverpool are not a million miles ahead of Everton and Man City. People forget this. When was the last time Liverpool finished in the top 2? top 3? Exactly!

Liverpool are a great cup team but I think we can be more consistent at home than Liverpool with the right backing. For me it’s all about the home games. We can win most of those and we should.

That’s the difference with Keegan. That’s the way he thinks!

Watch us go this season. I can’t wait to see how wrong most of you are with this one.

• Bottlodog

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I can’t stand that ‘newkie brown’ tag – sounds too southern for my liking – maybe we need to spread the word and educate the rest of the world – a bottlobroon or a bottlodog ( or bottloderg if you’re from Eshington)

• Ant

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Talking about backing the manager, MA appointed KK as he has looked back at what has been successful in the past. How manny have managed a team thats stuck 3 in against Barca?

Even if KK does poorly, he will get his full contract to see what he can do. We want some stability now and KK is the man to bring it. If he loses 5 games in a row people won’t demand he be sacked. Keegan was the only man cpable of coming here and being given the time as the respect for him here is immense. BSA managed Bolton before us and won nothing, he had to earn our respect and failed. KK walks in with everyones backing, even those who didn’t want him will want him here til the bitter end.

• StevieA

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM

^^^ I agree. Keegan is the last man to come close to winning the premiership for us. To think of that now is unthinkable. To think of qualifying for europe next season, is that unthinkable? I don’t think so!

We will be better than the Man Citys and Everton before long. Just you watch.

I predict we will beat Bolton by 2 or 3 goals on Saturday. We will also beat Middlesbrough too. We will start to pick up points at home and will soon climb the premiership.

Keegan is the right man for the job at this time.

• Black Caesar

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM

John, perhaps you are still in a state of delirium if you think we can outspend Man U in the transfer market.

• GM

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Great comments StevieA – positive & intellegent, confidence and enjoyment are a massive factor for players espeically young ones, I for one am looking forward to milner and zog grow under keegan, I am sick of reading all the f’g negative comments by people on these blogs, these are the same sort of people who leave every game 10 mins before the end to “avoid the traffic”, if they have ever been to a game that is.

If you dont like it f**k off, but if you have any heart and passion for the club, get on board, support the manager, players and board and ENJOY the ride. That is why you pay your money to enjoy yourself, have a few pints before the game, sing ur bloody heart out for 90 mins then have another few pints and a good old crack in the boozer afterwards, what can be better in life? or you can piss and moan…your choice.

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Ha ha yes m8, I co own a bar abroad and we sell the poxy little bottles and tell my staff if people ask for newkie brown (who are trying to be clever infront of their mates) they are to keep saying what and ask them to point to it. It’s so funny watching them. 😀
    I’ve also educated the locals there already 🙂 and ex pats too so the word is spreading ha ha ha

• John

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM

man Mn United are Millions in the Red..There running on borrowed money..We are, as mike put it, Don’t owe a buck ..

I garuntee Mike will back King KEV …ok if we don’t out spend Man U or Chelsea, but i’ll tell you now, we could quite easily outspend Liverpool or Arsenal..

WAKEY WAKEY BLACK….

No need to be Negative man..King KEV is back ..

Cheer up 🙂

• GM

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM

If you dont like it f’ off, but if you have any heart and passion for the club, get on board, support the manager, players and board and ENJOY the ride. That is why you pay your money to enjoy yourself, have a few pints before the game, sing ur bloody heart out for 90 mins then have another few pints and a good old crack in the boozer afterwards, what can be better in life? or you can piss and moan…your choice

• John

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Well said GM

ALL HAIL KING KEV ..

If not f off 🙂

• Bottlodog

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:01 PM

My sentiments exactly, GM

• GM

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:04 PM

had to get that off my chest..been getting on my tits for a few days now 🙂

• ObaFan2

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM

From what I’ve read here and media etc a good 90%+ are positive but KK was the main man to unite the Toon.

Your always going to get doubt and whiners but only the future will tell all.

• doby the mag

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Well said GM!!

• StevieA

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Well said GM. I know what you mean by getting sick of the negativity.

Another thing I can’t wait for is for fans of Man Utd, Liverpool and co to f*** right off and concentrate on their own clubs and problems.

It’s about time the fans got behind Newcastle and Keegan will help do that. You only have to see the impact he has had already just by being around. The players are suddenly positive and they have a BIG point to prove.

Just watch N’ Zogbia, Duff, Milner, Owen and eventually Martins go! By ‘go’ I don’t mean sold I mean watch them go! Watch them develop as players and watch Keegan bring the best out of them. Even players like Mark Viduka will benefit from Keegan being around.

Watch Mike Ashley back him to the hilt too! Keegan will transform this club again. We have the players to do well, as long as we win games at home we will be up there before too long.

Going back to my comments earlier about Liverpool. It might surprise some of you to learn that Liverpool only have 39 points. We have 26 (hopefully 29 after Saturday) and we have had a CRISIS. We could be only 13 points behind 4th if results go our way.

I am not saying we will finish in the top 5 or anything this season but who knows the eufa cup/intertoto might be possible. Certainly next season I think we can finish in the top 6.

3 or 4 world class players through the spine of the team is all we need to do it in my eyes. That and commitment, passion and belief!

Come on the toon!