Arsene Wenger Pleased Keegan is Back

Arsene Wenger thinks that Kevin Keegan will bring his own attacking approach to the game, back to the Premier League, when he starts his second spell in charge of Newcastle against Bolton tomorrow.

Arsene Wenger – Kevin has a positive attitude about football

Wenger said tonight:

“I am surprised and pleased,” “Surprised first of all that he has come back to Newcastle because don’t forget that one week ago, everybody looked so convinced that Harry Redknapp would be the next manager of Newcastle.”

“Secondly, that he has come back into the job because he left it giving the feeling that he would not necessarily come back into the job.”

“Keegan has a positive attitude in the game, he loves football and he has a positive attitude – his teams try to play.”

The Arsenal manager believes the competition in the Premier League is higher today than when Keegan’s Newcastle United side pushed Manchester United all the way in the 1995/96 season and missed out by 4 points after being 12 points clear at Christmas.

But Wenger doesn’t think it will be hard at all for Kevin to return to managing his home club, Newcastle United”

“I believe he has not lost the touch in three years,” “He will certainly be surrounded by people who have kept in touch with the game, so it will not be a problem.”

“I believe that vision is important for managers, strong characters, stamina in the motivation, and consistency in your attitude and consistency in the way you see football. That is important,”

Good words from Arsene Wenger, and the upcoming two Arsenal vs Newcastle encounters should be a joy to watch, with both teams endeavoring to play attractive and attacking football. You cannot ask for more than that.

• obafemimartins

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM

i think he is trying to say it is good for the nuetrals but i dont want to play my reserve team against them now they will actually play football.

• Hammy

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Kind words from Arsene who I regard as THE best football manager in the world in terms of football on the field and also the financial side of things.
    The yardstick for everyone else IMO.

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I had noticed Mr Wenger hadn’t spoke on the subject before but some good words from him.

“his teams try to play.” Ah well not all good then, we’ve got ya worried. 🙂

Certainly a top manager and his current team is playing some delightful football but his team has stuttered recently due to the loss of a few players due to injuries. His depth of squad might not be as strong as he thinks but certainly his first 11 are on par with the best.

• Leo*

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:45 PM

agree with you both hammy and obafan2

he is probably the best manager in the world. overall.

its good that he didnt put his awe in before now because its disruptive, bit like sir alex didnt.

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM

I hate to say it but imo Fergy’s better cos he has some English players lol and local lads too.

Yeah i know the Gooners play some Brits @ times ! 😀

• Hammy

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:05 PM

aaahhhhh but Wender brings in more than he spends, chairman loves him big time……

• Frank

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I’m struggling to figure out why Fergie is a better Manager because he plays more English players? How about the hundreds of millions he’s spent? Wenger hasn’t spent anything like that. However they will both be taken over by King Kev!

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Only my opinion lol. I hope I never see a NUFC team without any English players in it.

Also I can’t remeber Wenger winning the Champions league and no I’m not a Manc but remember the days of Best etc

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:18 PM

6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other, they both obviously have qualities.

• Marc Kobrin

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM

didnt wenger moan a week ago NUFC were bad for football? (cause we dont give managers time to build teams?)

dont want to put a downer on him just asking?

• sparetheman

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:27 AM

I think most managers were saying that. That doesn’t mean they can’t be happy about Keegan’s return though, does it?

As for whose the better manager, Ferguson or Wenger – I think it’s difficult to say whose the better manager when we don’t see the day to day runnings of the clubs, but Wenger certainly seems to be the better coach. If you’ve ever heard discuss training techniques you’d know why. Plus his eye for potential has been proven time and time again.

The amount of English players they buy really shouldn’t be any sort criteria when assessing their abilities to manage though, ObaFan2 – that makes no sense.

• Tripp

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Wenger could go anywhere and be successful. He’s shown that he doesn’t need mountains of dosh to assemble a good side. In that category, he seems leagues ahead of everyone else. He doesn’t have as much silverware, but he’s put Arsenal in a great position for the future.

• ObaFan2

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:23 AM

It’s EPL and I personally like to see English talent and ultimately a successful English team.

Ofc there are many here not from England let alone the North East so this has little importance to them however to me it certainly makes sense!

Arsenal have always been eclipsed by the likes of Liverpool and Man U and if you wanna kiss Wenger’s ass then fair enough. For me he’s arrogant and conceited but there’s no doubting his ability to spot talent and to coach/manage !

• sparetheman

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Hah, I can’t give an honest positive opinion on him without you accusing me of kissing his ass? It’s not like I’m rubbing his ego – he’s never going to read anything I write!

Anyway, I’m English and Northern, and even though I see the importance in it for us English, it’s largely irrelevant when we talk about how good a coach someone is. They don’t get “bonus manager points” whenever they buy an English player. That’s obsurd. You’re clearly set in your own opinion though (which you’re entitled to) – as am I – so I won’t continue to hash it out.

• ObaFan2

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:01 AM

lol idd up the Toon.

Could you tell I’ve never been a gooner fan 🙂 but 3 of my mates are and they are hell at times.

I dont think he’s perfect and soz for the kiss the ass bit but I remember a thread here ’bout Arsenal a while ago and all the praise Wenger bit gets on my wick.

One thing KK won’t do I’m sure is put a Toon team out without some Brits playing so atleast we’ll not have an arguement about that ! lol

I’m also gutted we aint in Euro 2008.

• fromfar

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:03 AM

If a same amount of tight budget is allowed to spend in a season for all clubs and compete for any league, noone can beat Asene Wenger. I read an article on the most business minded sportsman, Arsene Wenger top the list. With the amount of $$$ vs the number of trophies won, Arsene Wenger is the most effective manager of football at all time. To me, he is the best.

• MagicHat

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM

I have to say as an Arsenal supporter I’m really thrilled to see Keegan back. I’ve always had sort of a soft spot for the Toon — but I couldn’t (nor could I suspect most Gooners) maintain that respect for you with Fat Sam the Barbarian as your gaffer. Talk about a mismatch from the start! Newcastle always have and always should try to play football, so it’s good to see someone at the helm who will do that again.