Keegan Comments on Shearer and Owen

Keegan, returning to the club as manager after 11 years said the job of bringing success to Newcastle held no fears for him – and that he thought he was the best man for the Newcastle manager job.

chris-mort-and-kevin-keegan.jpg

Kevin Keegan – welcomed back to the club by Chris Mort

Some extracts from what Kevin said this afternoon.

About Shearer:

“I want to bring the very best to Newcastle United.”

“If there is a role that Alan wants, and is right – that’s the key – then I would love to have him back here. I will definitely be speaking to him.”

Keegan also talked about Owen:

“I have heard about his book and he is entitled to his opinion and I’m looking forward to working with him.”

Asked why he could succeed when so many others had failed:

“I know the club. I’m not saying the other managers didn’t, but I know it as a player, a manager.”

“I know what it’s like in terms of what the fans want.“I don’t have to learn those things.”

“This is a very special club, and that’s what people outside this area don’t understand, and you’ll never understand from some of the recent comments I’ve heard”

“I think I’m the best qualified person to come and do this job. This club doesn’t scare me. The job ahead doesn’t scare me.”

Comments very welcome.

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM

said that the reporters do a good job but their editors twist their reports………. ha ha diplomacy.

• lewdavies

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Would it be fair to say ” Keegan is the new Special One?”
    I dont think even the appointment of Mourinhio would have had the effect that Keegan is having.
    I dont expect miracles, but given some time and plenty of support, I am sure there are better days ahead.
    Loving it….. just loving it. 🙂

• Gilly

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Interesting what he said about Barton….he knows him and thinks he can improve and believes him when he (Barton) say that he needs help and just wants to play football.

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM

KK has been the only “speacial one” for the Toon Army and his effect on the team will be (already has been ) instant and he’ll get them playing more attractive football than Jose.

• Micky Toon

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:08 PM

As someone who has been quite vocal against KK return, after watching the press conference I’ve changed my mind. The man is a genius. He could sell sand to the arabs and ice to eskimos. Damn you Keegan, welcome back. 😀

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Micky the “Messiah” is back, refreshed and with renewed enthusiasm.
    We are indeed blessed.

• ToonKing

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:15 PM

by the way the Hungarian kid finally signed with us

• Steve_48

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM

I just can’t wait until 5:15 tomorrow, Ed I’m pleased you sorted out the recent performance issues with your site as I think it’s gonna be flooded!

Howay the lads!

• Steve_48

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:18 PM

@ TK: was this a Mort signing or a KK signing?

• toonoholic

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:18 PM

mort

• Howie

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM

a sam signing i think and mort pushed through the deal

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Been ongoing for a while Steve so I doubt KK had much to do with it and he’s one for the future I imagine.

• Davey

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

been rummaging around for my old shirt with keegans face on it circa 1982. Still looks good but is medium and now I’m X large LOL.

• Steve_48

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Worries me a little this, signing players which aren’t a KK signing… smacks of Fat Fredism…

WTF is Nick Collins talking about on SSNews? “Wish you well?” FFS, it just bloody typical of Sky they love a story and make more of it than it actually is

• Ashton

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Kadar is just 17 so he is one for the future thats for sure
    i’v seen him before and he looks promising
    good sign by mort

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Steve don’t worry, he’s young un for the future and the process was already well under way.

• toonoholic

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM

LETS GET A BANNER FOR VANDERVAART AND DIEGO FOR TOM’S GAME !!!

• Zx

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I can’t wait for the game. I’ll be at crows nest 🙂

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Keegan Shearer would be a good managemant team imagime the respect our players have for them

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Kadar was a Mort signing. Fat Sam had never heard of him. He was too busy trying to buy Kadar’s Grandad.

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Personally I’d like to see Shearer brought in to coach the youngsters. He’d could manage them during their fixtures and get some experience himself.

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM

James-the sad thing is BFS probly was trying to sign Kadar’s Grandad. He would get in the team ahead of smith

• Leo*

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

who is kadars grandad like?
    michael owen doesnt just have a point to prove to the fans but also to kevin keegan i really think this will be the start of his newcastle carear, i hope i am right too

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Leo- Lets hope so Michael Owen in forn and fit in an attacking team would score a huge amount of goals.

• Shaz

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Owen will hopefully leave. He deserves better. Keegan walks away from every job.He will do it again.Just doesn’t have enough to handle it mentally.

• Leo*

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM

shaz are you a mackam or a mancunian? i dont think your a toon supporter, stop wasting our time making us read your comments if they are not going to be constructive

• Reb

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I have every confidence that Owen and Keegan can act like adults and professionals concerning the criticisms Owen made in his book — all of which dealt with his managerial style, not Keegan as a man, and most of which were hardly unique or original to Michael Owen. Owen is not the same player, and hopefully Keegan isn’t the same manager either. I read somewhere that Keegan had become a fan of Owen in the years since, as Owen’s style has developed as the player matured.

That said, I don’t think Michael Owen has a thing to prove to Kevin Keegan beyond what he would have to prove to any new manager. Owen is a world-class player (as Keegan once was himself) and has long since proven himself as a striker of incredible talent and intelligence. What Owen has to “prove” is his ability to stay fit and his willingness to commit to Newcastle. After that, I think any striker of Owen’s class playing in a Keegan team will do well and enjoy scoring goals. In fact, this may be a good thing for Owen. He needs to be scoring regularly, both to finally prove his worth to the fans (who’ve been waiting three years to fall in love with another great goalscorer) and to stay in the England squad — both of which are clearly things Owen wants to achieve. An attacking team in the style of Kevin Keegan could be just the thing to get Owen firing. Then in June, reassess and hopefully re-sign, as I personally would like to see Owen in the black-and-white when he sets records for England (and maybe brings a bit of silverware to SJP — he beat Arsenal “all by hisself” once, could happen again).

• UTD111

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM

If anybody missed the Press conference – I’ve put it on my You Tube channel – just click on the UTD111 above or use the address http://www.youtube.com/utd111 – I’ve had to split it into 4 files because of the limits YT puts on uploads but its all there.
    Cheers – Mick

• Shaz

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:35 PM

I am a liverpool fan,Leo and i want Owen to leave as soon as possible.If he turned up at anfield , that would be a bonus.