Kevin Has £30M Transfer Chest for January

As we expected Chris Mort and Kevin Keegan were in meetings all day yesterday at the training facility, and obviously were pouring over the transfer dossier on who Kevin wants to bring in, and who may be available in the January transfer window.

kevin-keegan-4635.gif

Kevin Keegan – drawing list of transfer candidates for January

It wouldn’t surprise us one little if Kevin brought a number of players in, as long as those of the right standard are available.

Keegan is believed to have a £30M transfer budget for the January window, and more will become available in the summer, but the idea is probably to bring in as many good players that Kevin wants in January, as possible, in the short 13 days left.

We’ll have to wait and see how many come into the club, because January is not always a good time to make top buys, but they could also be setting the stage for some of their summer moves too.

It is thought the two men drew up a list of transfer targets which Mort and his staff will now start working on. The targets are understood to be the Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe and Manchester United’s Wes Brown.

The Chelsea pair of Wayne Bridge and Shaun Wright-Phillips have also been mentioned as potential candidates. Of course Wright-Phillips played for Kevin at Manchester City so the two of them know each other. Wayne Bridge is wasted at Chelsea, with Ashley Cole in front of him in the pecking order, and his England chances would improve, if he could be persuaded to move to Newcastle.

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:07 AM

I dont think Keegan will have any problems recruiting players whatsoever! And if he brings in Shearer as No2 then it can only help the situation to be honest!
    I dont think I like the talk of a new striker quite yet (especially another short man in Defoe), as I think Owen, Martins and Viduka (and even perhaps Smith) should shine under KK.
    Another RW would be grand though as I think we need back-up for Milner. LW covered by Duff with Zog as cover (Zog perhaps an auto starter for attacking CM now??).
    We do need another LB as I dont think Zog should be used there any more.
    And of course another big, experienced, class CB would top it off.
    I reckon there’ll be quite a cull in the summer time with Geremi, Carr, Ameobi all getting the boot. Perhaps Rozenhal as well, although he can get better with time.

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Wright-Phillips would be quite a coo I think – I would go all out to get him for the RW to keep Milner on his toes.

Not sure about Wes Brown – I think we should wait until the summer and see if there’s a world-class CB available (who would be willing to come to us of course).

I dont think Wayne Bridge is the answer for us either – he’s had plenty of chances to join us and has turned us down each time, so just because Chelsea want shot I dont think we should go for him. I really dont who would be a good buy at LB at this present time to be honest…any suggestions??

• Stuart

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I couldn’t agree more. I think when you look at his old Newcastle team and the sort players he had then, Duff is the left wing Ginola, Milner the right wing Gillespie, Viduka is the “big” striker like Ferdinand was and Owen is the predatory striker like Shearer. We need World class central midfielders to make us a force. God, I hope Shearer is recruited today. It would be cherry on top that would…

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Ashley Cole’s wife is a Geordie and a big Newcastle fan. They even have a house in the area. Worth a cheeky bid?

Of all players, I’d love Mike Ashley to buy Rooney. He is tired of being second fiddle to Ronaldo at Manure. He’d be a legend at SJP.

• AdamCF

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Jim.. say no to Big Ears.

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM

ROONEY TOON!!

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Haha, James – we can all dream!! Ashley Cole and Rooney would be amazing!

And perhaps Rio Ferdinand at CB too! Please Santa, a late Xmas present of Rio would be nice….I promise I’ll be good for the rest of the year!!

• hanzemre

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM

me want Shearer too..

• millepede

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM

bout as much chance of rooney joining the toon as there is freddy shepard not eating a pie at this precise moment

• sparetheman

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Rooney?! Someone’s getting carried away!

• Cam_Toon

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Aye Steeley.. but would you want to play under Souey, Glen, or Sam… I wouldn’t leave chelski for that.

• Hadrian

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Zoggy is our new cm , lad’s going tobe a star in keegans squad . need someone who can sit in there with him and let him do his thing.
    enrique is going to come good under kev, spanish press say he’s great pressing forward. but let’s get bridge in aswell if cheap enough.

• GM

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I would like to see a very good young right back as cover for Baye and get carr out asap, same with the LB pos, would like to seen enrique given a bit of a run and see what he can do…he certainly needs to loose a few pounds as he seems too sluggish to me

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Cam_Toon – point taken! I still dont think he’s what were looking for though, although if he’s going on the cheap then I reckon he could be a useful squad player.

• doc

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I think we need more players who have speed, and at present we laking

i say this because i can still remember seeing what looked like our entire team steaming forward when we turned over opposistion attacks (last time KK was manager)

i like viduka but he is a bit stationary and doesnt have a good turn of pace

MO yet to prove himself to NUFC but wednesday was in my opinion his best contribution yet

Oba, fast yes but a bit to often like a headless chicken, to many touches doesnt play the easy ball

central midfield Butt is my fav but we dont see goals or forward support enough from these posistions

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Ashley Cole is reported to be leaving Chelsea in the summer because he doesn’t like Avram Grant. He signed because of Mourinho.

Rooney said when he left Everton he would have joined Newcastle (we bid £30 million) but wanted to play under Sir Alex. Everyone has their price. Manure would rather sell Rooney than Ronaldo. In Tevez they’ve already bought Rooney’s replacement.

Go on Mike Ashley, ROONEY TOON!!

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:28 AM

On a COMPLETELY different point – does anyone think that Harper might start against Arsenal in the Cup?

Did it not used to be that the No2 keeper played the cup matches while No1 took the league games?
    I havent seen much of Harper after his starts early in the season….he must be pretty cheesed off if he isnt even getting Cup games now.
    I reckon Keegan might recognise the dedication Harper has given to the club and play him….any thoughts?

• doc

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

i would play harps for sure

for me he is the best keeper we have

• AdamCF

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Tim Cahill.. anyone? Say no to the spud Rooney.

• Anon

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:32 AM

ROONEY???
    In the words of a scouse legend……………..”My arrrrrrrrssssssssssssseeeee”

Jim Royal
    2001

• AdamCF

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

doc.. man, Butt ur favourite, Harps, the best keeper. Can i have what ur on?

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM

doc – I dont think that Harper is the best keeper, although he runs quite close to Given. I just think he needs some recognition for what’s he’s given up to serve this club. I think everyone will acknowledge that Harper would have played for England at some stage had he been No1 at a different Prem club. He is certainly as good as Paul Robinson in my book.

Given I would say is probably second only to Cech in the Premiership so he deserves to be No1 when fit, but Harps needs some games from somewhere to keep up the interest.

• AdamCF

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Time for Harps to move on then..

You’ve gotta be Krul to be kind 😉

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM

AdamCF – Smooth….very smooth! To be honest, by the time Krul has blossomed into a more complete keeper I think both Given and Harper might have left. I reckon the young lad will come good, but his time isn’t quite yet.

• Neil

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Hey Steeley isn’t your 1st post the same on another link in this site!!!!! LOL.
    Got to agree with GM about Enrique needing to lose a few lbs as in the 1st tie with Stoke he looked like a cart horse and a one that had just eaten a banquet as well!!!!
    I am fed up of people who are trying to put a negative spin on Keegan mind – One step backwards, he’s been away too long from the game, he left us in the cr@p, spits his dummy out etc etc.
    Are any lads on here of the same feelings as these negative folks?? Not all of them are southerners who love to put NUFC down either some are actual fans. I can’t understand their mentality really. When Allardyce/Souness/Roeder got the job did you see half as many smiles on the players’ faces as what you do now – answer is no. I am excited by this appointment and there were only, literally a handful, who could’ve sparked a reaction anywhere near like what Keegan has.
    Onwards and upwards!

• ELFER

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM

we do NOT need more strikers! we have fantastic MARTINS (much better than defoe) and new geordie legend OWEN plus solid backups. No need and space for new faces there!

Instead get SWP, who can deliver our heroes up in front!

And then strengthen the back 4. I’m not sure about enrique, has not yet impressed me too much, but he’s still young. But an experienced one could help.

FB we need WES BROWN or fantastic RICHARD DUNNE (who knows KK).

RB I dream of ALAN HUTTON – best on his position in whole GB!! Exactly the kind of player KK wants.

Maybe we need a DM who can give backing to our new star ZOG-ON-THE-TYNE 😉

• Edd Case

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM

It will certainly be an interesting few days.

I suspect that Mort and Ashley will have already identified around 20 possible transfer targets whereby their respective clubs have said, “we might sell him” etc.

I think what they’ll be saying to Kev is something like, “we are sure that these players are available, should you feel they will improve the team and help us play the way we want”.

I only say that because Kev is honest and has said he’s not really been in touch with football so much over the last two years.
    But, I bet he’s not been too far from it either, and I’m sure he’ll have seen a few players that have caught his eye.

I’d love to see these lot at SJP…

Kallstrom
    Van Der Vaart
    Kompany
    Sahin
    Aquilani
    That Chiakaiririakani player that Tom rattles on about!
    Dunne
    Coloccini
    Kerlon
    Breno
    Melberg maybe
    Adriano (the Inter striker)
    Danni Alves (Im dreaming)
    Diego
    Makoun
    Kroos
    Diego Capel – saw him the other night, looks very good
    I could on and on all day!

• MattyDread

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM

ELFER – I agree about the strikers. Owen and Vid will really come good under Keegan. Martins won’t be away at the ACN for ever and Smith is a completely different player up front than the one we’ve seen so far this season so strikers are not at all a priority.

An attacking midfielder with plenty of creativity/pace/flair would certainly be a treat tho.

• paul p

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM

centre half. i would go out and sign woodgate. he oozes class and his fitness record has improved 100% since he left us. maybe sign brown as well, alan hutton at right back, bridge, shorey or baines or ashley cole at left back wright phillips would be good signing for down the right, will keep milner on his toes. ashton is the centre forward we should go for, not defoe, unless we is going to get rid of either martins or owen and a very much doubt he will do that like. centre midfield, we could end up with anyone. deco, diego, carrick, maybe even people like ronaldinho, kaka, quaresma, lampard. who knows with king kev. bring on the glory days. am so excited about the game tomorrow now and who he brings him. dont forget, press conference 2pm live on sky sports news today

• nightfall

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM

30 millon? 😀

dunne – 5 m (CB)
    vieira/carrick – 15 m (DMC)
    bent – loan (ST)
    ribery/ chilouaki/ arshvin/ arteta/ lampard/ SWP/ lennon/ hleb/ robinho/ robben/ maxi rodriguez/ y.gourcuff/… – 10-20 m (AMRC)

so that’s 30-40 m…and if we sell barton, geremi, carr, shola, viduka/smith (or both), rozehnal (we do have tozer and kadar, so he’s expendable)…we could get AT LEAST 10 m for them…perfect! 🙂

p.s. duff can also play as RW, so that position should not be a priority…
    1 CB, 1DMC, 1AMC (AMRC), and ST

i know vieira is already 31, but he still has 4-5 years left…he’s 2nd best DMC…well, essien’s no1 🙂

cheers 🙂

• nightfall

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:02 AM

sorry..forgot about van der vaart and diego…my bad 🙂

• doc

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:02 AM

cf

butt my fav coz so far this season he and taylor are the only ONE ‘s who have not let their heads drop and given 100% no matter how well they performed on the day

given fab shot stopper but a keeper who comes out for crosses and secures the ball takes a lot of heat off the defence

• lee

saivet(future)

renato augusto

modric

torje

radu

defoe

berbatov(supported newcastle as a kid n became a big fan of keegan and shearer though also supported toon b4 hand so he was not just a glory supporter (so to speak) and would relish the channce)

barry

carrick

farfan

cavani

llorente

raul garcia

altidore

pazzini

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM

WE ARE ALL MAD!

ROONEY?
    VAN DER VAART?

Anyone would think that Keegan was back in town.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:07 AM

LEE-

have you been playing football manager 08 again?!

• Drago

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM

yeah play more Football Manager 2008 and we can get ronaldinho and kaka in a few years…

• paul p

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM

i still cant take it all in ya no everyone. will some one wake me up out of this dream i am having haha!! its awesome. gary megson says we will be challenging for the tittle again in 18 months time. with the right quality signings, does anybody believe we can stay undefeated from now until the end of the season (league games)

• thelongshanks

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM

A great lb signing would be nicky shorey.

• Mart

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Let’s all forget about the southern press and the rest of the country. KK loves us and we love him and that’s all that matters !
    ZOG – first name on the team sheet in my opinion.
    I’m very excited about getting a few quality players in this month and more in the Summer. I wont bother to write out again all those listed above.

Cant wait for tomorrow and the return of a decent atmosphere.

And to all those who walk out early from now – dont come back….

• Chris G

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM

First and foremost i think people need to calm down quite substantially. The talk of Rooney and Ashley cole is just absolutely ridiculous. I’m a season ticket holder of 10 years i’m sorry i will not be drawn into the mentality of so many delusional fans. Yes, short term there will be a spout of results and the feel good factor will spur players on, but at the end of this honeymoon period we are still left with all the same problems. KK was terrific last time, but lets not forget he actually achieved nothing! i know its cynical, and i am am partly happy with the appointment on a spectical point of view, but my head says perhaps not! The league was totally different then, and winning a cup wasnt exclusive to the top 4 teams as it is now (only boro have broke that cycle in recent years) We were head and shoulders above Arsenal, miles apart from chelsea, on a par (just about) with man utd and marginaly better then liverpool. Its such a difference now i worry how the mould can be broke, as it what appears to be a short term fix that ashleys going for. He’s unlikely gonna achieve what he did last time, and that wasnt enough at the end of the day and its going to be a hell of a lot harder this time round.

Christ! prove me wrong for gods sake! i would ecstatic if it happens. I’ll be there tomorrow singing my heart out as always, but i wont be getting carried away like many are.

Chris