Kevin’s Shearer Decision Could Come Today

Kevin Keegan was locked away with Chris Mort at the Newcastle United training facilities in Benton yesterday, and didn’t leave until around 7pm, when TV cameras of course were there for his departure.

Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer – during Alan’s playing days

It appears that Kevin has been given a free hand to pick his back-room staff, as Mort does not want to infringe on the playing side of the club, which is the responsibility of the manager. But it is understood that Mike Ashley has urged Kevin to act quickly if indeed Alan is to be appointed his number 2.

Shearer’s comments when he arrived back from Barbados suggest Kevin and Alan haven’t talked for 12 months. Kevin has been running his soccer circus in Glasgow and Alan has been in London at his BBC football pundit job.

Former Newcastle midfielder Rob Lee, a close friend of Shearer’s, has hinted the two could work together:

“I don’t think Alan would ever consider being a No2 to anyone except Kenny Dalglish and Kevin,”

“But I don’t know if it will happen.”

After surprisingly lobbying in the press for the manager’s job at Newcastle, Shearer then announced his willingness to help the new regime in any way he could. We think he’s been told by Newcastle he will not be appointed Newcastle manager, until he gets some experience under his belt.

But this decision is totally up to Kevin Keegan. It’s his neck that’s on the line. Certainly the two of them got on famously at Newcastle.

Most fans hope the decision is made by 2pm local time today when the press conference to officially announce Keegan as manager is announced. We think if it’s going to happen Alan could be at the conference, or introduced at the conference as Kevin’s number 2.

Kevin always liked to do things in a big way and this could happen this afternoon. But the decision shouldn’t be rushed either, it’s far too important for that.  We’re not sure it will happen.

What do you think? Let us know – comments always welcome.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Has the Coleman thing died a death?
    Wouldn’t be overly shocked with an announcement at the press conference…..

‘And here’s my old friend Alan to help me out!’

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Ed – what happened to Keegan’s face on the banner!? Was I dreaming, or did I see it on there yesterday?

• Ed Harrison

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Steeley – it’s on the banner – try refreshing your cache. 😀

• Ed Harrison

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Looks like Coleman wants a management job – not an assistant manager job.

• Indian toon

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM

guys check this out.!! its just a fraction of nufc supporters from india

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:56 AM

I think it will be Shearer if I’m honest. And I reckon we might see something similar to that way that Keegan was unveiled by Sir John Hall the first time round – i.e. starting the press conference and then bringing him in part way through to whip the press crowd up.

I dont think it will be Coleman although his departure from Real Sociedad times in well with when Keegan was apparantly offered the job.

Who knows….I’m sure it’ll be good as though as it looks like Keegan has the pick of the crop. What are the odds on McDermott stepping into the role?

• Hadrian

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM

bring him in if it’s to learn , but not if its to force kev out after this contract , id like to see the toon doing well and longer contracts for kev.
    shearer would be a good pull for signings players tho. and ofc kev, people dont forget a player who won euro player of the year twice running .

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Ed – Done…and it works! Bloody computer! Had a little bit of a scare that I had dreamed the whole thing up for a second there…. phew!

• will

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Hadrian – I dont think Keegan will have any problems recruiting players whatsoever! And if he brings in Shearer as No2 then it can only help the situation to be honest!
    I dont think I like the talk of a new striker quite yet (especially another short man in Defoe), as I think Owen, Martins and Viduka (and even perhaps Smith) should shine under KK.
    Another RW would be grand though as I think we need back-up for Milner. LW covered by Duff with Zog as cover (Zog perhaps an auto starter for attacking CM now??).
    We do need another LB as I dont think Zog should be used there any more.
    And of course another big, experienced, class CB would top it off.
    I reckon there’ll be quite a cull in the summer time with Geremi, Carr, Ameobi all getting the boot. Perhaps Rozenhal as well, although he can get better with time.

• true

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Ed i thin Barton should be removed from the banner, he is a discrace and we should not associate ourselves with him in any was shape or form.

• Ed Harrison

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Steeley – dont worry- I bet lots of us have done some dreaming these last couple of days – after the Keegan deal.

• GM

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Totally agree True – Ive been asking ED for a few days to move or delete him to no avail – how can that tw@t be right at the front when given is stuck at the back.
    *******ED PLEASE DELETE HIM*******

• Aaron D

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Do you think Lua Lua will start on Saturday as Emre is now suspended?

Given, Harper, Carr, Enrique, Roz, Cacapa, Taylor, Edgar, Duff, N’Zogbia, Milner, Troisi, Lua Lua, Owen, Carroll, Ameobi, Viduka.

Butt, Smith, Emre, Geremi, Faye, Martins, Beye, Ramage, Barton.

Carr Taylor Cacapa Enrique
    Milner Lua Lua N’Zogbia Duff
    Owen Viduka.

Harper, Edgar, Roz, Carroll, Ameobi.

What do you think?

• willowtoon

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Steely – How do I refresh my Cache. I have same prob as you re the banner

• AdamCF

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Not far off Aaron. Maybe go Milner in a Centre Mid roll and have Lua Lua out on the flank.

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Aaron, I reckon you’re spot on there! Not the ideal team as players as away (and Emre suspended), but from what we’ve got left I cant see anything other than that line up.

I think young Lua Lua could not ever have a better moment to stake his claim! New manager in a team where the current CM options are pretty poor anyway….if he plays his socks off tonight then I reckon we might see more him!

• Wayne

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Forget strikers ….Keegan will[ and must] seek playmakers. We suffered when Kenny Dag failed to plan for Beardsley’s departure. We were never the same after that, it was all down hill.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

basically totally agree with your post Steeley, indeed RW,LB,CB are key lecks at the moment. Maybe in a 2nd step RB but we have time there until summer…

I think lua lua will start yes…cannot see any other option. Well Cacapa in DM would be one, but no, not really since we then have a lack at defensive…

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM

willowtoon – I just pressed the F5 key and it refreshed.

• willowtoon

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Steeley – Oh yeah……….. Thanks mate now working..

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:52 AM

the team pretty much picks itself following suspensions and african nations duties.

lack a bit of steel in the middle- especially against bolton. sure we’ll hammer them though.
    crowd reaction will be superb.

• Sloop Jon B

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Marek Cech has conceded he would be interested in a move to Newcastle, although he also claims he is in no hurry to quit Porto.

The Slovakian international has established himself as a regular starter for the Portuguese giants, with his finest hour coming in the 2005/06 campaign that saw Porto scoop a domestic double.

Cech operates primarily as a left-back and was earmarked as a possible target for then Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce, prior to his recent departure.

• Frankieboy

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Agree . Ed get Barton off heading banner ASAP please the guy does not exist.
    Steeley- hope you are right. Been thinking along same lines abour revealing No.2 at press conference.
    KK is a romantic about this club and what better way to secure how the club is run in the future.
    I believe he will mentor Shearer and it all fits in with Morts criteria for whoever took the position on.
    They have also stated that they would of considered Shearer had he experience so it all fits.