Press Conference Comments By Keegan and Mort

Here are the full comments from the Press conference that took place today at St. James’ Park to welcome Kevin Keegan back to Newcastle United Football Club.

Kevin Keegan – back home at Newcastle United

Keegan said today:

“I had the first contact last Thursday and decided then I would like to meet the owner.” “The owner was abroad and I was waiting for him.”

“I drove down from Glasgow and met them on Wednesday morning.” “If you think about this club, take away the top four, this is as big as any. It is difficult to get into that group.”

“The challenge is there, but having met Mike I know what his ambitions are.” “He now knows mine.” “It was an easy deal for everybody.”

“I know this club inside out.” “I know it as a player and a manager.” “I know what the fans want.”

“Some of the guys in for the job who don’t have the experience would have had to find that.” “This is a special area and people outside the area don’t understand that.”

“I have been here on two occasions and I think I am the best qualified person to do this job.”

Keegan also spoke of his shock decision to come back into management.

“Every time the job came up there was a bit of envy there.” “Last time I left because of circumstances.”

“It was an easy decision to go, because the club wasn’t going the way I wanted it to go.” “Now if you look round it is.”

Keegan admitted this is the only job he wanted.

“The job doesn’t scare me,” “There are a lot of questions that need answering in the first few months.”

“We’ve got Michael Owen and Mark Viduka who are capable.”

“We’ve got internationals and people who have played for Man United, plus people like Shay Given and Damien Duff.”

“They came here to play for a big club – it doesn’t faze them.” “Now it will be a different club to what they joined – they haven’t seen it at its best.”

On the critics, he said:

“You would think I’d been out of the game 100 years. I have been out three years and it has done me good.”

On Shearer being installed as his No 2 he said:

“I have only concentrated on the match against Bolton.”

“I will talk to Alan, and if there is a role he wants, we will talk, if it is right for him.”

Keegan also spoke about Joey Barton’s future.

“I will support Joey 100%.

“He openly said he needs help. We can provide that – he is an excellent player.”

Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort revealed his excitement at getting Keegan.

“Mike Ashley is very excited about what is ahead.”

“You will see that when the first goal goes in against Bolton.” 😀

“As Kevin said we want to win something, but we won’t come out and say where we will finish.”

Keegan also spoke of his wish for silverware:

“I want to win something.” “It is possible to win a Carling Cup or break into the top four.”

“People laughed when I said last time we were after the title for Sir Alex Ferguson.”

“But we all know we nearly achieved that.”

And on the transfer front he finally said:

“We’ve got to try to get two or three players in.”

“I can handle the weight of expectation of the fans.”

This was a good chance to see Kevin Keegan in action for the younger fans. What came across was his absolute confidence in himself and that he can get the job done at Newcastle, and bring success back to the City.

That confidence will no doubt be passed onto the players tomorrow, and we expect them to be up for the game. And we’re just waiting to celebrate the first goal when it goes in tomorrow – along with Mike Ashley.

The King is back – long live the King.

• dirk

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM

• Davie

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Keegan is without doubt ‘The Man’

• marat18

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM

“You will see that when the first goal goes in against Bolton.” – I love it! just love it!

• toonoholic

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM

• Ashton

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Good comment about barton
    i really rate this guy and hopefully KK will help him

• Bill f

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I was scrolling through to present day from the older threads and noticed Mort with KK with a big smile on his face, never saw him smiling with Sam always looked miserable. Now that tells you something.

• Toon Al

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM

kadar is confirmed

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Toon Al – do you know if this is kadar anygood. He’s 17 and already played for hungary u21’s so he should be a decent player. Has anyone seen him play.

• Steeley

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:04 PM

The comment that summed it up for me was the one about watching football on a saturday for us was like southerners going to the theatre!! Quality!! A great way to put it into context and to have a dig at the southern shandy drinking pufters! lol
    It’s something that Sam Allardyce never ever would have grasped! And to hear comment about fans not wanting boring 1-0 wins just confirmed that Sam had no effing idea about this place.
    Looks like Shearer should be incoming soon then, and hopefully KK will bring in a few players to help us get through the rest of the season. (Tamas Kadar confirmed by today).

I cant wait for Saturday now – the atmosphere inside the ground is going to be amazing.

Welcome back Kev son! I’v missed you!!

• Positivetoon

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM

its like he never left. Ive been smiling my butt off since wed. cant wait for tomorrow hopefully bolton will get a shoeing. One things for sure with KK’s confidence St James will certainly be a placed to be feared again. The lets do them over attitude is back already! Long Live King Kev!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Spot on STEELEY, southern pricks

• Uatu The Watcher

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Ed, can you make Keegan head on the website’s banner slightly bigger? He is after all bigger than life rite? Seems like Barton’s head is bigger than The Messiah’s. Bad omen me thinks. Cant wait for that first goal against Bolton too lads!

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:15 PM

CARL – Kadar is excellent – the best youngster we have signed.

I just hope the kids get a chance. Keegan tends to think of football as a man’s game and very rarely trusts a kid to take someone’s place.

One guarantee is that the Rock n Roll years are back. Keegan will make us even prouder to be Newcastle fans.

• Hadrian

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM

he left last time cos he didnt like where this club was going , and god was he right 🙂
    see the little glint in his eye ? he know’s he can give his beloved geordies a club tobe proud of again .
    god mike ashley is the one thats gonna need a statue outside the ground at this rate .
    i still nominate his bouncer as a new mascot aswell !!

• James

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Hadrian – I for one support your claim that Ashley should get a statue if he pulls this off. He has rescued us from crippling debt that was going to send us down the divisions, and given birth to a new era where we can proudly watch a team with flair and trophies.

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Is Ashley’s bouncer the dark skinned man. That was quality when he was at the match against Stoke. Laughed my head when i saw Ashley’s face when the bloke stood up and started pointing at his shirt. What a lunatic

• ToonKing

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Ok, i got some info and a nice interview with our new boy Kadar Tamas, i’ll try my best to translate it correctly.

The deal went through late night yesterday after almost a month of talks. 3 epl clubs were after him, us, Bolton and a mystery club believed to be West Ham, but the hungarian club ZTE admitted that neither of them could compete with what we had to offer.
    The transfer is is undisclosed but it is thought to be around 650K with further payments of almost the same amount if the kid performs the way he is supposed to. Tamas Kadar is the most expensive defender in hungarian football history and that says something about his ability.

This is a short interview he gave to the Hungarian press :

“I can honestly say that i’ve been expecting this to happen, but never in my wildest dreams have i thought that it will happen this soon. I’m not even 18 years old and a Premier League club has signed me which is very difficult to comprehend . Those who know me know that i have a very short football history compared to other lads in my age category, cause at the age of 14 i wasn’t a signed player yet and only playing on the school’s ground, and preparing myself for a career in handball. (note: Kadar is a 2 time national champion at handball). 3 and a half year ago ZTE signed me and that’s when i had my first proper training. In the last couple of months along with my parents and the club i decided that we will target England and signed with CMG (Career Management Group), knowing that they have great contacts in England. In the last months and weeks there were many things going on in the background on which i couldn’t influence, but when i had to prove my worth on the pitch i always did my best.
    I’m really glad that i got this far but i don’t want to be content with it. I’m learning english with full speed, and i want to be a very good and succesfull player, and i’m hoping that i will develop further and be helpfull for my teammates come the U19 championship in May. I thank ZTE for the help and the fans for their love. I will say good bye to friends on Saturday and then fly to England where i want to spend the next 10 years.”

• tdt

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM

good press conference, you can see he knows exactly what e’s doin. wonder who these players r gona b that cum in and strenthen the team??

• Leo*

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM

thanks toonking good to hear from him finally. its official. i hope he is going to be as good as people say, has he got pace?

• dylan2k7

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM

heres the press conference,20285,,00.html

• adaaaam

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM

just got my tickets through for tomoro! cant wait man. its more excitin than fookin christmas!

• carl

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM

so excited after hearing kk speak, and now with ashley saying more or less , get whoever you want ,its great,like a dream

• GM

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I bet the happiest people in the world other than the geordie nation are setanta, for once someone might watch one of their games …lets bring the fooking roof down n show what REAL support is like !!! come on the toon, i feel like ive just woke up from an 11 year coma…please god bring the good times back…sorry I’m a bit excited, maybe too much so for a grown adult but hey what the hell 🙂

• Tom

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:21 PM

just signed that young lad tamas kadar today as well – looks like we’re still building for the future then!

• nightfall

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM

i’m just worried who we’ll going to sign…if you want to win with attacking football, you need to win the midfield… and utd attacked us all the time…and that happend ‘cos of smith and butt…we could have world class defenders and we’d still lose 4-0 with that midfield… smart!!!

• rujd

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Thats the best press confrence ive heard since mourinho ,king kev special k the messiah is the new media dream and i believe once again will take the league by storm with a few signins because of his tactics no need for a good defence . Did you see arsene wengers comments he sounded afraid or bitter think hes worried we are going to play more attractive football,COME ON THE TOON ARMY,,,, WHERE BACK? but am not gonna get to excited i know he needs time , anybody whos at the bolton game with me sat prepare to loose your voice because its your duty as a mag to blow the ducking roof off if it had one.

• Kevin

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Superb comment, Nightfall – and I think if anyone knows this, it’s King Kev. I trust he will buy smart – starting with strong midfielders.

I think one of the great things about this appointment is that Kev will have the unmitigated support from the Toon Army for at LEAST 3 years – regardless of results (to a certain extent.) But notice that no one has given a timeline for success, like they had with Big Sam. Imagine what we’ll all think of BFSA in a year’s time!!!

• rujd

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM

i know you probly think this is bull stuff that comes out your arse but martins is off to t hotspur plus 10 million 4 berbatov owen has a source within the club who is my freind but talks are ongoing and berbatov has asked for the move.

• Magpie2121

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:22 PM

I feel like I’m dead and in heaven

• Geordie Matriarch

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Well, Steeley, I know what he means – in the 50’s I used to come up to Newcastle on a Saturday on the N06 bus, go to the match, then queue for the gods at the Theatre Royal – both great Geordie things to do, but watching the match was best – especially if we won! And here we are ready to win again!!!

• subz

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Man, I’m welling up with the excitement!! can’t wait to get back home for a match. i might even move back!! SSSSSSHHHHHH don’t say that out loud she will lynch me :).
    ” I think you all write the things correctly, then the editors at the papers leave the important stuff out, like the facts” Top class, giving it back to the hacks already.

oh yeah,,, If he was approached last Thursday, how could HR turn a so called offer down?????
    Maybe E fort it twas a black nd wite mowtaa?

• UTD111

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:04 PM

If anybody missed the press conference – I’ve put it on my You Tube channel. Just click on UTD111 above or use the address
    I’ve had to split it into 4 files because of the limits YT put on uploads – but its all there.
    Cheers – Mick