Sunderland Manager – Great to See Kevin Back

Irishman Roy Keane said he had that certain feeling that Kevin Keegan might still have a role to play, as Newcastle searched for their latest manager.

roy-keane-345.jpg

Roy Keane – good too see Keegan back

Roy was asked if he was surprised by Newcastle’s appointment:

“No, honestly, I wasn’t.” “I am not trying to be too clever here, but I had a feeling he might be back involved.”“It is great to see him back because I do believe football, and certainly the Premier League, is lacking a few characters and Kevin is certainly one of those.”

“It is good to see him back. I have great respect for Kevin Keegan.” “I have only come across him once or twice and he comes across as a really nice man. I am looking forward to pitting my wits against him.”

Keane will take Sunderland to St James’ Park on April 19, and is looking forward to pitting his wits against the experienced Keegan. But Roy doesn’t think Keegan’s arrival has raised the stakes at all between the two North East rivals any further:

“I don’t think it needs too much upping from the last time we played them. There was a good rivalry when Sam (Allardyce) was manager.”“Obviously, it has given Newcastle a big lift. It is good to see him back because he is a good character and clearly loves his football.”

“But my job in hand, and that hasn’t changed, is to do well for Sunderland, and it doesn’t matter what’s going on up at Newcastle or even Middlesbrough.” “I have got a big job here and that’s what I am trying to do.”

We’ve been impressed with Roy Keane at Sunderland. It was a good win for them last Sunday when they clearly were the better team against Portsmouth.

Of course we had done our best before that game to unsettle Portsmouth, after going after their manager, Harry Redknapp.  Sunderland are our great local rivals, but we’d still like them to survive this season.

We’d also be quite happy for them to do well in the Premiership – as along as we beat them twice a season, and we finish higher up than them in the league.   😀 😀

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Ha ha Keano’s pappin himself now for our next game with him/maccums. lol

• gingergeordie

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:02 PM

yound kadar – hungarian defender has signed
    just on official site now

• Ant

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM

April 19th…I don’t think we needed reminding. It will be here sooner than we think and we’re all expecting the same thing(I would assume) and that is giving Sunderland a good old kicking, and as for wanting Sunderland to do well, I don’t think so!! I’d like them to stay up so we can have at least 2 more Tyne-Wear derbies next year but I want them to survive by the skin of their teeth.

Haway the King, let’s not think about bloody Sunderland til we have to!

Bring on Bolton!!

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM

” I would love to have him back here” Keegan on Shearer.

• Bill f

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Caption, what he is really thinking.

“Bu**er, one less in the relegation fight”

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM

“Inspirational”, Keegan knows what he wants and knows what WE want.

Can’t wait.

• toonoholic

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM

“but we’d still like them to survive this season.”

WE WOULD PREFER IF THEY GO DOWN AGAIN WITH THAT STUPID MANURE MANAGER OF THEIRS !

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM

“Best qualified for the job”, apparantly KK was contacted last Thursday (ha ha HR !). No mention of transfer targets.

• ObaFan2

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM

He’s looking forward to working with Owen.

Mentioned Shay, Duff, Duke. Also mentioned the 4 players @ ACN.

Barton he knows from Man City and apparatly he let him down then but is a clean slate with him as he spoke with Barton yesterday.

• Steve_48

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:10 PM

His face says it all really…

• CARL Johnson

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Keane stop talking about Newcsatle.

Your Dog’s missing you

YOU DOG MALESTA

• Sinead

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Oh for God sakes. He’s not buttering him up, he’s not bulls****ng. He’s saying his honest feelings. He’s about the only manager in the premiership who is always completely no matter what completely honest in stating how he feels. It got him sent home from the WC like. If he says something he actually means it, no mind games.
    I wish there were more like Keane in football. They don’t make them like they used to, pity.

• Murvar

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Well Sinead that put the mockers on this thread. But in case you’re still checking – I agree with you!

• dirk

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:06 PM

i agree wiv sinead, i think keane is gr8 personally. n im english n sayin tha lik! would hav liked keane to b a coach for us tho. imagine him helpin out faye in holdin midfield!

• UTD111

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM

If anybody missed the Press conference – I’ve put it on my You Tube channel – just click on the UTD111 above or use the address http://www.youtube.com/utd111 – I’ve had to split it into 4 files because of the limits YT puts on uploads but its all there.
    Cheers – Mick