Keegan Makes Owen Newcastle Captain Today

Michael Owen recently revealed his poor relationship with Keegan during the Keegan’s time as England boss manager, and his words could have come back to haunt him this week. But Keegan, in a master stroke, will make Michael the Newcastle captain today.

michael-owen-12543.jpg

Michael Owen – will be delighted to lead the team out today

But Keegan insisted yesterday he has absolutely no problem with the club’s £17M record signing from Barcelona and Kevin will have the 27-year-old captain of the side today, as a new era in the club’s history begins.

Keegan said yesterday:

“Not only will he play, I will make him captain. He is the right guy to lead us – and that tells you what I think of him.”

“I know people will try to make something of the stuff in his book, but people who know me know it will not bother me – any more than it will bother me if it is right to bring Alan Shearer here as number two.”

“Other people might say, ‘He will be a threat to you’. It won’t bother me.”

This is a master stroke by the man who has legendary skills as a motivator. It signals to everybody, not least of all to Michael, that any problems they had between them 8 years ago, has been ended – completely.

We also cannot wait to see the effect Kevin has on the players today, and usually it’s much easier to inspire the youngsters – so we’ll see how Taylor, Milner, N’Zogbia and Enrique respond. We think they’ll play very well today.

• carl

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM

thank god , i hope owen keeps the captaincy and starts banging them in,so alan smith,not captain and certainly not a starter anymore hehe

• yongMalaysia

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Owen Captain = Owen Hatrick?

wish we can win big today…

• Sean

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM

he signed from Real Madrid – not Barcelona

• sparetheman

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Yeah lets hope this is the last time we see Smith the armband. The petulance he displayed against Man Utd is not how a captain should act. He’s been piss poor all season too.

• Number 9

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:16 AM

As it should be. Let’s get behind the lad now. Keegan’s gonna give him Number 9 next season I bet because he rates him so highly. I think he can be an absolute superstar for the toon if he stays fit and the team plays the way Keegan wants.

• Ruud Boy

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM

He’s trying to turn Owen into Shearer, good idea

• Number 9

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I remember sitting in the Gallowgate when Owen played for Liverpool and got a hat trick. He was different class. Lets get him going now and he’ll do the same for us.

• tdt

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM

aye owen was from real not barca ed! good plan from kev mind, bound to get a good win 2day!

• UTD111

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM

@Sparetheman – dont know if you were at the Everton game but Alan Smith was outstanding up front.
    Owen captain eh? But surely this is only until Geremi gets back? lol

• Number 9

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Geremi just won’t fit into Keegan’s system at all. Can’t wait to see Duff and Milner in full flight down those wings and Zog getting at them from the middle. The missing piece is that creative midfielder that can play the ball over the top to Owen.
    Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick, Peter Beardsley,…Deco, Ronaldinho, you know the type of flair player.
    Who we gonna go for ?

• Keltik

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:26 AM

weve only got 3 midfielders today!

Duff, Milner & Zog!

• andy4kin

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM

well said Kevin! good luck today!

• Keltik

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Owen played for Barcelona?

Ed?

dear me….

• kagthemag

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM

i think Smith is good up front as a support for owen. He needs to play there not wide on the right, center of midfield or a holding role at the back. My mates 11 year old kid even commented on that!!! its not rocket science. Stick him up front so he can get amongst it there. I agree he’s not a captain, his temperment is too volitile. However, take that away & you’ll lose something.

Agree with geremi, he aint a captain

• Eve

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Meh, I’m not going to pretend that I like Owen, I don’t, not really, but I’ll wait. I’ll wait to comment till after the game. Owen, I don’t think he’s that great anymore I think that he can now only live off scraps of other peoples work. But maybe under Keegan and with the captaincy he’ll return to his old form, so I’ll wait to speculate till afterwards.

• ObaFan2

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Lead from the front, well that’s no surprise?

KK knows what he’s doing and as for Smith, he”ll now be played in his best position by KK and that’s probably the bench at best 😀

Shame Smith can’t play mid field cos he could have been like the battling Batty but we’ve seen the headless chicken @ midfield too often this season.

• kagthemag

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Eve, give him a chance. You dont become a bad player over night. There was plenty of speculation about his commitment, but the guy has scored goals in a pretty injury ridden time. I like some of the comments on here always admired his ability when he played against us, like i did shearer (remember him coming off the bench to score against us at the gallowgate end for blackburn)

let’s hope we see owen thrive under KK, get some delivery in to his feet – not a big punt up the park. If he doesn’t look like he’s up for it, KK will know.

really looking forward to todays game

• kagthemag

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM

obafan2 its about opinions mate, I think smith will do well under keegan up front. Let’s hope!

• ObaFan2

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Yes Kag he did well upfront against the Gooners playing against the defenders but his midfield play is awful.

He hasn’t had a chance under BSA because he was mostly played out of position and he was always a player (at Leeds) who had the potential and so far hasn’t lived up to it. ( at Man U and here)

• MattyDread

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM

UTD111 – well said. Smudger can be a major asset for us as I would imagine Keegan would be somewhat inclined to play him up front where he plays naturally – and plays well.

• kagthemag

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM

yeah we need some solidarity under KK. Lets get behind the lads – we can climb up that table.

Today, talk about the crowd being the 12th man, more like 22 vs 11!!! cant wait

• James

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:18 PM

A master stroke by Keegan. By making Owen captain it immediately gets rid of all the paper talk about Owen having a rift or leaving. It shows the world of football that Keegan knows Owen is Newcastle’s best player and will make a great leader for the team.

In the last few games for Fat Sam, Owen kept yelling at Butt and Smith for wasting the ball. At one point he even went over to Butt and gave him an earful. That’s what we all want to see from our Captain.

Geremi won’t get a game when he comes back. He might as well stay in Africa.

I think Owen should and will stay Captain until the summer. If Shearer does come back as number 2 he would insist Owen stays Captain.

The captainancy is just what Owen needs to concentrate on the one thing he does better than anyone else we have – scoring goals.

HOWAY THE LADS!!

• ObaFan2

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Agree with the posts but he needs to stay fit, that’s been his whole story here. Believe me I hope he stays fit for aslong as he is a Toon player.

• Shaz

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:30 PM

I hope owen leaves as soon as possible!

• kagthemag

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM

shaz are you for real??? rediculous comment & totally pointless post

• Shaz

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:04 PM

i support Liverpool, of course i want him to leave your club.he should have never have gone there, Newcastle is no place for footballers with ambition.

• Chris F

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM

if you support liverpool, why are you commenting on a site dedicated to newcastle?

shouldnt you be off somewhere else bemoaning your dickhead owners?

• Shaz

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I think it has already been estabished that our owners are ……. .anyway i want owen at Liverpool. have you seen the shite we have at anfield .Crouch . Kuyt and Voronin.Enough said.

• The black in the blacknwhite

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM

shz ur an asshole shaz your an asshole tra lalalalalala umpf tralalalala

going into other clubs to bitch how sad- i think its just begging really

• Shaz

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:38 PM

the sooner owen leaves , i’ll be glad to never see another newcastle game again.