Owen Already On Board Keegan BandWagon

It looks as if Newcastle’s manager Kevin Keegan has already convinced Michael Owen, about the great future ahead for Newcastle United.

Michael Owen already convinced about great things ahead for Newcastle United

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan has already said he is very much looking forward to working with Michael Owen, after the press have played up their poor relationship when Kevin was England manager in 1999-2000.

But the two of them have already sat down after Wednesday’s FA Cup win over Stoke, and Kevin was able to have a brief but important conversation with Michael.

Michael said yesterday:

“Kevin sat next to me and said:” “You’ve played for some big clubs like Liverpool and Real Madrid and have experienced what the atmosphere can be like there. But, believe me, you haven’t seen half of what this place can be like yet.'”

“I have to say Kevin convinced me that there are exciting times ahead for Newcastle. I definitely want to be part of it. You tell me a striker who wouldn’t want play in a team with Kevin Keegan as manager.”

“Managers can have different philosophies. For instance, Sam Allardyce might prefer to concentrate on his back four, keep a clean sheet and nick a 1-0 result.”

“Kevin Keegan will also want to keep a clean sheet but he will want to put on an entertaining performance and score plenty of goals – and that means everything to me.”

“He definitely believes in playing more football with plenty of passing and movement. I will settle for that.” “Kevin has been quoted as saying he has unfinished business at the club and that’s exactly how I feel.

“There has been loads of speculation which has left me in a no-win position. If I say nothing, people think there is something in the rumors but if I respond to them I would spend all of my week denying them.”

“I have not been fit enough for long enough to show the fans what I can do but if I can stay 100 per cent right, I know I will do well here under the new manager.”

Good words from Michael Owen and he’s right he’s been in a no win situation. We really have to give Michael a bit of a break, and we can only hope he can put together a string of games under Kevin and keep injury free.

But you can see the excitement showing through in what Michael says. He looked great on Wednesday night but to be fair to Ameobi and Owen yesterday against Bolton,  they didn’t get much service from a severely depleted Newcastle midfield.

As Kevin said after the game yesterday and Michael certainly believes – better things lie ahead for the Newcastle United Football Club.

• geordiejayne13

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Yes it does seem as though things are going to be very much rosy in our garden. If Owen stays fit he will certainly score goals under Kevin.

Also after Shearer saying on BBC Match of the Day that Kevin rang him on Friday night and will speak to him again at the end of the week when he returns from a commitment for Sport Relief things are looking hunky dorey.

• Taiwan Toon

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:40 AM

First post here. I am not that convinced by Owen since his transfer, but i will just wait and see. Must admit while he was hardly fit enough to play for a long period of time, our midfielders could not provide the right services to him as well.

Despite my believe that a striker who just sit upfront and wait for the service is something of the past, I hope Owen proves me wrong.

• Hadrian

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:58 AM

owen’s england spot is relying on keegan getting some flair into our squad ,
    its plainly obvious to owen the reason why we suck it seems aswell .
    MOVEMENT , there is none !!! pass and bloody move not pass and wait for it back .

• Indian toon

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:40 AM

clearly owen is sayin that he didnt like the way they played under allardyce’s tactics.

• adaaaam

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:28 AM

i kept an eye on him a lot yesterday from where i was sittin and his work rate was brilliant, he was trackin back loads and then bustin a gut to get forward whenever he could, his movement off the ball really helps you to learn just from seein it. i have to say though, it really showed shola up, he just looked pretty sluggish and didnt seem to be prepared to scrap at all

• AdamCF

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I was surprised that Carroll wasn’t brought on at around the hour mark. (Plenty of time for Shola by then).

• Leo*

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM

owen has been showing alot of effort in the last couple games, it will come good for him, give him the chances and he will put them away i am almost sure of it now that keegan is in charge and we play attacking football

• Stami

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Shola looked crap…sell him and give young Carroll a chance in the 1st team! someone who is actually hungry for the ball!
    Carr… well, he had one of his usuals…and that shot he took, honestly, that should have been on target! i think his time is up!

• al

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM

The stage was set. Any footballer worth his salt would have used yesterday to proove to kevin they could perform at this level on this stage in front of an adoring audience. Yet sadly none did. If they couldnt do it against a very poor team how will they do it in the very difficult fixtures we have coming up despite the impending return of such greats like smith and butt !!!. We need to get at least 4 QUALITY signings to ensure survival this season before we can even think about challenging the elite next year.A central defender a left back and 2 central midfielders. Go to it kev ,put a marker down proove the doubters wrong,proove we can attract the quality we need

• ObaFan2

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Owen has had so many injuries it’s been unreal but he isn’t daft, which top team would take him atm? Maybe HR would want him @ Pompey lol or at best Sven at Man C.

His work rate is fantastic which alot of people miss and all they think is he hasn’t scored. He can create so much by his runs and creates space for others. He can hardly be blamed for the lack of supply by the likes of Milner etc. (and that doesn’t mean I want Milner to go, just to improve his crossing)

As for passing, I noticed balls played into space yesterday @ times and made a refreshing change!

and who doesn’t want to be part of KK’s team ! His old teams/players from the Toon are heroes to us all and now part of folk law 🙂

• dragoner

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Did anyone notice how good Lua Lua’s vision for a pass is? As soon as he came on he made a few passes that others on the team would simply not see, he is a gem

• Shaz

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:35 PM

i hate seeing what has happened to Owen, he used to be really ambitious , now he seems resigned to his fate of staying at Newcastle and he has accepted it.

• Reb

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Shaz — why is staying at Newcastle not ambitious? What would be more ambitious than helping to get Newcastle back in the top portion of the table over the next few years? Maybe get a Carling Cup or an FA Cup (I’m not even dreaming of the league)? That’s ambition. Imagine if he did for Newcastle United what he once did for Liverpool (“he’s won the Cup for Liverpool all by hisself”) — he’d be a legend on the Tyneside, Wor Michael, not hated and slagged off like the Scousers do. If he gets stick from the Newcastle fans now, it’s because of his fitness record not because of the lad himself. The Scouse mob always seems to have disliked Owen for some reason (too well-spoken? too clean-cut? too sensible? I never did figure it) but I think the Geordies can appreciate that he’s a good lad, though a bit boring for the press because he’s quiet and settled — just wants to play football, score goals, and g0 home to his wife and growing army of kids (3 in less than five years isn’t it?).

Owen has always seemed a good lad, reasonable and responsible, and from recent comments I think he truly wants to prove himself to the Newcastle fans who welcomed him so warmly — hell, he said in his book that seeing all the fans at his signing made his wife so happy she cried. It made a deep impression on his whole family, and himself, and I still think he wants to repay that. There are few ambitions that would be better rewarded than winning something with Newcastle United. And if Keegan has convinced Owen of that, and that it could happen, Owen will stay. And in my mind, he’s more than welcome. Newcastle need to keep the class upfront, and get more in the middle of the park.

• Shaz

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Reb,Newcastle won’t win anything, not in your lifetime.Even the Carling cup these days is won by the elite and Newcastle won’t be in that group however optimistic you feel.Football has moved on and Keegan is a quitter.