Ameobi Now Hoping For Newcastle Stay

Shola Ameobi is just one player that is delighted that Kevin Keegan has returned to manage Newcastle United, and he’s hoping that will help to save his career at the club.

shola-ameobi_543604.jpg

Shola Ameobi – hopes to extend Newcastle career under Keegan

The 26-year-old had already thought he would need to leave the club to find first team football elsewhere, and Glenn Roeder at Norwich was only too willing to take him to the East Anglia side.

Shola, who is one of the few Academy players in the first team squad, didn’t even get time on the bench with Sam Allardyce, even though he had recovered from injury.

Keegan’s arrival changed all that, and after making his first Premier League start since September 17 in Saturday’s goalless draw with Bolton, Shola is hoping for better things ahead for himself at the club.

Shola said today:

“When they say a week is a long time in football, it certainly is,” “The situation under Sam was that he had his own guys and, unfortunately, I wasn’t part of his plans.“It was a hard pill to swallow, especially after having been at the club so long. All of a sudden, I found myself frozen out.”

“As a player, you have your ups and downs, and the last few months have definitely been a downer, but in steps King Kev and he’s given me a lifeline.” “I could have left the club,” admitted the former England Under- 21 international. “I have been out for virtually two years, and I need to be playing football.”

“I didn’t ask to leave in so many words when Sam was here, but I have always said there is not a place for me where I am not wanted, and the (former) manager knew that.” “I have always wanted to play for this club and, if I’m given the chance to play, there’s no way I would leave.

“It’s a clean slate for me now, and a fresh start for everyone. That’s something Kevin said to all of the players straight away, and it was music to the ears for me.”

Both Steven Taylor and Ameobi were at St James’ Park regularly during Keegan’s first management tenure at Newcastle and used to stand in the old East Stand paddock. They both just loved the attacking football that Newcastle played in those days (who didn’t?) and had them hailed as the Entertainers.

Shola continued:

“I was with Newcastle schoolboys when Kevin was here last time,” he said. “And I remember going to the games. I didn’t really have anything to do with it because I was still at school, but I went to every home game and remember the great football we played.”

“Living in the city, you can’t fail to notice what has happened since he returned.” “I am a massive fan myself and I don’t think I have experienced anything like the impact he has had on a lot of my friends. Being a part of that now is amazing.”

“Unfortunately, we didn’t play to our potential against Bolton.” “They stuck everyone behind the ball and we didn’t break them down, but that isn’t going to stop the positive energy that the last two or three days has generated.”

“We didn’t lose, we gave everything we had, and we kept on going. We had great momentum from the crowd, and hopefully it’s a stepping stone to do great things.”

“This was the just the start.” “We would have loved to win, but it’s a draw and it’s one game unbeaten.”

Shola will have another chance at Newcastle, but he will need to start scoring goals regularly for him to survive in the Keegan era. A big strong center forward is at least one type of player Keegan is almost certain to bring into the club, probably in January if Chris Mort can do that.

Comments very welcome.

• doby the mag

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:01 AM

God I hope he doesn’t stay, he’s a friggin carthorse!!

• Hammy

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Unless he suddenly starts playing like a combination of Ferdinand/Asprilla I’m afraid it’ll be bye bye. Kev’s gotta be ruthless….

• Bigted28

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Shola is simply not good enough. I would still let him go and replace him with Ashton.

• MattyDread

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM

We have too many better options tbh. Martins, Owen, Viduka and Smith should all be ahead of him in the pecking order. Then there’s big Andy waiting to break through and I’m sure there are other youngsters available too.

Really, he’s not good enough and just not needed.

• Leo*

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM

as bad as terry mac

bloody tag along

• ronaldeano

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Sholas had plenty of chances to shine at newcastle and he is not good enough. Shola would be a good championship player, but if we want to be chalenging the top four, Shola would never be able to fire us there, in fact, another quality striker this month would be great, FRED, Lyon?

• GM

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:10 AM

he is a bloody plank, as soon as he is shipped out he better, maybe he can stick carr under his arm on the way out as well, smoggies were interested in him werent they? swap him n carr for wheater or downing

• ronaldeano

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Viduka is always injured, Smith haset scored yet and gets booked all the time, Martins and Owen are not fireing on all cylindars, another striker please

• AdamCF

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Shola signed his own death warrant on Saturday, so I’m pretty sure he’s gone.

• ronaldeano

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Get rid of Ameobi once and 4 all, he’s hed his chances and he’s not good enough 4 this MASSIVE club!

• MattyDread

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Martins and Owen will thrive under Keegan once he puts a good midfield together. Smith will start performing when he’s played up front.

A creative midfielder is far more of a priority than a striker.

• ronaldeano

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Hope so MattyDread, we need to be scoring a shit load more goals than we have been

• Sturla

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I know Ameobie isn’t the most popular striker here at Newcastle, but he did do good under Roeder in my opinion. Sam is the first manager who doesn’t like Ameobie. Perhaps it would be best for him to play for a club like Wigan or Birmingham where he’d get a game every week.

• Hammy

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Don’t think Shola would dislodge the Sib at Wigan…..

• thelongshanks

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Sorry shola u have outstayed your welcome.He is a divison one player and has had alot more time then most players to show what he can do.Cmon rodeor make a bid!

• Gilly

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Can’t trap a bag of cement…

• geordie_jordan

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM

nice of him to say. but it’s like me wanting to be the ceo of ibm, sorry shola you just don’t have the cv mate!!!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I hear alot of rumours we are going to sign dean ashton and ameobi is involved with the deal.

• Timbo

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Sholas not Crap

He’s bled black & white for the team and the fans unlike that overpaid passenger upfront.

Never seen Englands Michael Owen play thru injury to help out the Toon. But shola did it for about 4 months a season n a half a go.

He’s Got a great goalscoring record too.

Tinos goalscoring record was a bit poo when you look at it.

And Lua’s back flips were better.

• ObaFan2

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Bless his Geordie cotton socks but Shola your not up to EPL standard. I hope you prove me wrong but I’ve never ever seen that you will m8.

I know him btw ! and am dissapointed for him.

• Bill f

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM

From what I saw of the game Shola certainly put himself about (although he could easily have been off). I think KK will look at the effort he put in and keep him till the end of the season at least or use him as part of a deal this window. (first option probably). I doubt if Benitez would take him as part of a Crouch deal although WH might.

• Lawman

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Come on Ash – dig deeper into your pockets…… sooner or later, some team will take up your offer and take Ameobi.

Nevermind SELLING him, only way to get rid of him is to pay teams to take him away!!!!!!