Alan Shearer Saga Needs To End

Alan Shearer has been talking to the press on what he can and cannot do in football management, and he says today he could manage a club other than Newcastle. We think everybody knows that.

Alan Shearer – could decide to manage another club

Alan Shearer told the Sun today:

“Why would I say that Newcastle will be the only club for me?” “Yes, they are my club and I love them but it doesn’t mean I could never work for anyone else.”

“I couldn’t see myself working at a League Two club.” “But you can never rule anything in or out for good and you can never predict what will happen next in football.”

“This time last week we wouldn’t have been discussing Kevin Keegan as Newcastle manager.”

Some of this is obviously coming from the Sun, who Alan works for, and they are probably pestering him for statements which they can make into news stories.

But we think Alan should decide on his future career action, in private, and do whatever he chooses. But all this debating his options in the press about his various options and what he can do, is not helpful to him or Newcastle United.

We know full well he can manage another club, and we think it has been made clear to him that he cannot manage Newcastle United without prior experience. Where he gets that experience is his choice.

In the poll we are running to the right, 74% would like Alan to be assistant manager at Newcastle United, but that’s with only around 400 votes in right now. If you haven’t voted yet, please let’s know your opinion on this.

This saga needs to be brought to an end – hopefully on Friday. One way or the other.

• Steve_48

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Sounds like ransom demand…

• James

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:00 AM

On the one hand it would give the club stability. People could look at us and say there’s the next management team for 10 years. Keegan for 2-3 years and Shearer after that.

However being number 2 is miles away from what it’s like as number one. Just ask McLaren, Jol, and Little Sam, who all struggled when promoted to the number 1 job.

Shearer needs experience as a number 1 before he takes the job as Manager of Newcastle in the future. Get off the sofa Alan and get your hands dirty with a lesser club first.

• heedthe bal

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:03 AM

I agree steve.
    Yes shearer is a legend and we all love him for what he did for NUFC….but I think he needs to drop himself down a level.He’s apprently making quotes saying he can manage elsewhere which is true.He has no experience and I personally think his ego has been knocked by not been offered the position as manager.he hasnt even got his Pro licence.I think he should be honoured to be asked to be part of the coaching set up in what ever capicity that maybe,just like Lee Clark was.

• Chris F

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:05 AM

i bet shearer hasn’t even talked to the sun, if he had this story wouldve been ublished last week at the height of the keegan-mania that gripped the press.

smells like yet more made up BS to try and stir up unnecessary controversy.

it’ll be sorted when he gets back at the end of the week, until then don’t believe anything you read about him or his thoughts, because it will be a load of rubbish.

it’s like this ‘story’ about Beckham in the Mirror.

they say that Ashloey’s reasoning is that he “recently bought a substantial amount of shares in Adidas, and Beckham is the face of that company.”

yeah, conveniently (or lazily) missing the fact that he bought those shares last summer, then sold them about a month later at £30m profit.

what a bunch of hacks. As ever, i won’t believe a word of transfer speculation surrounding us until i see the player holding a shirt and signing a contract.

• Graham

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:09 AM

As you say, Ed, part of this is the press trying to make up stories – the other half is Shearers ego running away with him.

Why say something like “Newcastle isnt my only option”? (if he did say that at all) I honestly believe that Keegan doesn’t really want him as no.2 but Alan is keeping his presence known and using that via the fans and press to keep it back page news while he’s away.

Call his bluff and appoint your assistant while he’s in Africa, Kev!

• Hadrian

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:11 AM

What the hell is shearer playing at doing all this talking in the press .
    one article got it right by saying it’s like a fencing match .
    this should be done behind closed doors and not in the press, ive no idea who shearer is getting his advice off , but something tell’s me the fact he was in barbados with freddy sheperd has something todo with it .

• geordiejayne13

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:17 AM

to be honest shearer made it clear the other day that he and kevin spoke and when he got back from his trip he had to speak to kevin again which is at the end of the week.

me thinks its the papers again.

I love Alan but Keegan is the Boss and what he says must go

• Graeme

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Shearer, as usual, is promoting Shearer.

Any advantage he can get, is to his benefit, no one elses. He has to get “work experience” if he wants to be as good a manager as he was a striker. He didnt start out as a premiership striker, he evolved into one with hard work and dedication and needs to apply the same thing to becoming a Premier League manager.

He needs to get off his comfy sofa, get into Div 1 or 2 and learn what its like. It was good enough for the best managers we have today, its good enough for him. Personally, I dont think he has the ambition or the hunger to do that as he is far too comfortable. Self publication isnt the way forward and damages the Toon.

• Sturla

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Shearer didn’t really say anything that’s shocking. The Sun is just stirring up dirt and making headlines from what appears to be common sense talk by Shearer.

• Micky Toon

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Doesn’t Shearer have a column in the Sun, like Owen does?

Shearer is a legend and always will be as a player. However he has always had this massive ego and doesn’t like to play second fiddle to anyone. He needs to learn that he isn’t always the boss. I’ve said it before on here that KK and AS would not work. Two big ego’s that wouldn’t back down if they thought they were right and the other was wrong. This would seriously undermine KK’s authority with the team and that is no good for any of us. AS as a coach would be cool, like Beardsley, but I don’t think AS’s big head would accept a lesser role.
    Spend some time with one of the lesser NE teams, Hartlepool, Darlington, Sunderland, learn the game, then come back and see if you can do a job for us.

• evildick

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM

i’m just so glad keegan is back! i still can’t believe it.

• doby the mag

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Graeme (8) – Well said, I completely agree.

• ObaFan2

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Thanks Ed for giving me an extra option on the Shearer vote 🙂

I for one don’t care if he comes now or one day in the future. It’s a great opportunity for Shearer to work UNDER KK but he/they may not want it.

What I don’t want is all this hype in the papers, KK has alot to do and even if it’s fans asking or the press about Shearer I’m sure he could do without all the hassle.

We have some hard games coming up and the transfer window is closing soon.

These are a priority not neccesarily who’s gonna be no. 2 !

So thanks again for the dont know option, personally I’d have said don’t care 😀 cos we’ve got KEEGAN.

• Leo

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:43 PM

shearer sure likes to big himself up.

dont think he should be our number two because he needs number 1 experience.

these are not my only options… is he bargening for bigger wage or is he just boosting his ego…

• Zx

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I voted no to Shearer…

The day we need a hero to lift the club again, I’ll vote for him to be the next manager.

We have KK now, and having Shearer around will only add to the imagination of the scriptwriters on the newspapers, adding unnecessary pressure on KK and the club.

• Bill f

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:22 PM

I reckon the ego comments are correct, whenever he is asked about the assistant job he always seems to be trying to throw the ball back to KK. I get the impression he wants KK to make all of the running. He ought to swallow his pride and say please may I have the job, I think he is gagging for it and needs to put his money where his ego is.