Benfica’s Oscar Cardozo Interesting Newcastle

Another player Newcastle United may be interested in, either for the January transfer window, or in the summer is striker Óscar ‘Tacuara’ Cardozo.

Oscar Cardozo – reported interest by Newcastle

This is not the first time Newcastle have had a reported interest in Cardozo this season. He just moved to the Portuguese club last summer, but it seems that Benfica are letting it be known they would be willing to sell, if they can make a profit on the £6.8M they paid Newell’s Old Boys for the player.

The 6’4” striker has so far played 15 times for Benfica and scored 5 goals.

The 24 year-old Cardozo, has played for Paraguay 12 times and scored two goals and was born in Juan Eulogio Estigarribia, Paraguay in 1984

Before joining Benfica he played for Newell Old Boys 33 times and scored 22 goals. He seems a decent player and certainly would add some power up front with his strong heading ability.

What do you think?

• obafemimartins

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:44 AM

spurs have been granted permission to speak to woodgate. i hope we are already in talks. this is on skysports so i dont know if it is true but they said we were at advanced stages

• jenson button

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:48 AM

we must sign playersssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• scott9

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM

i no i hope he dont go to spurshe is the only world class defender available nad who we realisticaly could get

• broon ale

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:50 AM

i wrote a email to Mick Dennis from the express regarding his article concerning geordies and our supposed denial and fantasist ambitions. I ACTUALLY GOT A REPLY! Richard
    You are about the 50th person to draw my attention to the article. Despite the assumption that I am lazy, I have replied to them all and engaged in a discussion with the hosts of the site.
    If you who have only seen the version of my article on the website, or the Express site, then you have not read all of the original and not seen the (hopefully) humorous subsidiary pieces on the same subject.
    My population figures were from
    It is a reliable, up-to-date source which local government officers use.
    Was I selective with my use of statistics? Guilty, of course. But the statistics I used are accurate and pertinent. I was attempting to explain that many clubs have phases when they are well supported and that your huge crowds really only date from the post-John Hall era.
    I was not saying that Newcastle are not well supported currently, or that Newcastle fans are not passionate. I was saying that all of us who support football clubs have a similar passion. It is the idea that Newcastle and its fans are “special” that has upset so many fans of other clubs and it was in response to many people telling me how infuriated they were that I wrote my piece.
    It is disappointing that the piece on the website is so intemperate, but when the writer says: “Rochdale fans deserve no more plaudits than anyone else”, I think he makes my point for me.
    All loyal, passionate fans deserve plaudits — which is precisely what I said.
    Let me make something clear. I admire KK. I have been in his company and he certainly has head-turning charisma. If his latest crusade is successful, I shall applaud it. I am covering Saturday’s game at Arsenal for the Express, and am really looking forward to it — so I suppose the enthusiasm he has engendered is contagious. If the writer of the website piece introduces himself to me, I will ask him why he felt it necessary to use defamatory terms about me. Then I’ll shake his hand and salute his passion, as I salute the passion of fans everywhere, including Rochdale.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:52 AM

obafemimartins – its all bollocks, rumor after rumor – fed-up with all these rumors..!

• Hadrian

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:52 AM

i think this is getting old now Ed .
    me gran reckons were in for ronaldo , wanna make a post on that ?

• Aaron D

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Only 7 Days till window closes, hopefully get some players in. Woodgate would be a great signing, would be a heroe at St.James’ at Spurs would be a squad rotation player with King, Dawson, Kaboul and Rocha. Probably can offer more wages and wouldn’t have to move house, get a bid in. Not sure about this Cardozo seems like a bit of a risk, would prefer Goran Pandev which is probably bullshit too.

• Black and White Blood

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Broon Ale – Sorry that bloke is a Twat!!!!

• Kash2

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Quote from Chimbonda – He’s a dick and i hope we don’t sign him!!!!!

“Kevin Keegan has approached me and they’ve offered me more money.

“I am definitely leaving Spurs. It’s all about the money. I don’t care about the final, I don’t care about the cup.”

1) If KK has spoken to him without permission from SPurs then doesn’t it constitute tapping up?
    2) He’s a whore for money, blatant merc
    3) If he doesn’t acre about cups and winning things then why are we signing him?!

• scott9

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM

no black n white blood spurs hae been given permission to talk to waoodgate i would be suprised if that was a rumours i really hope he dont go to spurs i would be gutted

• Hammy

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Ed…please bring back “Bird of the day” these so called transfer certs are demoralising……..
    well done to Mick Dennis who took the time to reply to broon ale, pity his more illustrious Northern counterpart couldn’t do the same….

• harrier

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM

I like it personally, keep it up Ed 🙂

• obafemimartins

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM

how do we know if this one is a rumour. it is on skysports and they may not be reliable but it isnt like off the bbc gossip column. if its gets on skysports there probably is truth in it because they dont have every player we were ever linked with on their website. kash2 where is that qoute from?

• Black and White Blood

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Scott9 – I would be gutted if he signed for Spurs – Would’ve made ideal CB alongside young Taylor……..

Rumour after rumour Newcastle to sign player after player…!!!

Oh….SSN are saying Boro have accepted a bid in excess if £7 million

• Kash2

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Please Please Please Please King Kev, THe Messiah, don’t let Woodgate sign for Spurs. We need him and he’s always felt at home at St. James.

If buck tooth Gareth Southgate hasn’t allowed us permission to speak to him then i’m gonna kick him in horse face!!!

• wsq

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Fred or Cordozo?! what dya think

• Rich

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Cordoza, like him better than fred think hes top quality.

• JMC

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Cardozo or Pandev? Both 24 Both big bastards, both will replace old man Vids, bu which one???

• ToonKing

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Pandev is nothing like Viduka and Cardozo is, so let’s get them both.

• Leo

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM

broon ale. that bloke sounds like a right tw@t, he wont have written the reply, it will have been done by a secutary

• Tom_Toon

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Cardozo aint ready yet. Get Pandev and he isn’t a ‘big bastard’.

• Jon

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Cardozo is awesome. Let’s buy him.

• ende

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Please! For the love of god! Enough of these foreign striker linkings. We -don’t- -need– any strikers out of this transfer window. It’s a waste of time and resources. We need to completely revamp central midfield (mostly a creative cm), and we -could- boost our defense at center back -if- doing so isn’t a hinderance to the task at hand of retooling our midfield. But by no means should acquiring a striker be a priority, as we have more than enough to finish out the season with. We especially don’t need to be taking risks on foreign players untested in the premiership.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM

creative mid?
    ……= Diego Ribas from Werder Bremen

He’ s Good players

• Gordon d

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Talk sport said Woodgate passed a medical at Spurs.Midd the Yidd do you know? & you can keep Chimbonda too.

• Jamie G

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM

he played really well and scored the winner against celtic in the champions league qualifer at the stadium of light (benfica not the scum).
    i’m not sure i would want to spend £8M on woodgate who has a terrible injury record. surely with that sort of money we could snap up some1 like jorge andrade.
    PLEASE KK, sign some quality players, at least 3 or 4, but use your common sense and don’t pay rediculous prices.