The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer Will Not Be Newcastle Number 2

2:21 pm, Friday, January 25th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

Kevin Keegan has revealed he talked at length to Alan Shearer last night. but says the job he finally offered Alan was not as Assistant Manager, his number 2.

kevin-keegan-324.jpg

Kevin Keegan – Shearer will not be his Assistant Manager

Kevin talked to the Evening Chronicle before he took his squad to London today and said:

“I talked to Alan for four hours last night,”

“There is a role for him at the club but it won’t be as No 2.”

“We will see what happens on Monday. It will not be as number two, I will tell you that.”

“It will not be, and that’s the conclusion we both came to. But it will be, if he decides to come in, a very worthwhile role.”

We assume the job offered to him was as a coach, but have no confirmation of that. Of course Alan has never been in club management and he has to start somewhere.

Whether he wants to gain that experience at Newcastle United or somewhere else is his choice, but he needs to get it somewhere. We understand that’s what he has been told by Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort, so we’ll see if he wants to accept whatever job he’s been offered by Kevin.

It does look however, that Alan and Kevin talked things through fully last night, and there are reports that Alan was unwilling to give up his job as a pundit on Match of The Day at the BBC. That would have ruled out Alan as number 2 at Newcastle, because it would have meant he was part-time at Newcastle, and that just wouldn’t have been good enough. But it does look like there was agreement on another job – we just don’t know what that other job is – but it could be some part time job for Alan. Kevin is saying it’s still an important role for Alan.

Maybe, once he’s finished his MOTD stint at the BBC he could still join Newcastle in a role at the club – which would then be full time.

We will now have to wait to hear from Alan, and that will probably not be before Monday now.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 Stami // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM

well that sucks…

• 2 willowtoon // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM

This is not a suprise despite your poll.

Alan better going for Southampton job and proving himself in his own right.

Leave KK to work his magic with us.

• 3 Stami // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:25 PM

i hope he does take a job at the club coaching! atleast thats a start! there where reports that he might be goin in at Southampton…

• 4 Ed Harrison // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM

We think it’s safer for Kevin if Shearer is not at the club – since there will not be any ego battles behind the scenes.

• 5 James // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Keegan : “”What would you do with Joey Barton? Would you play him like I intend to do?”

Shearer : “No, I’d kick him in the nuts and make sure he’s not allowed within 100 yards of SJP”

Keegan : “Then you can’t be my number 2, cause I’m going to put faith in Barton.”

Shearer : “That’s your decision Kevin. Just remember, it cost Sam his job.”

• 6 Bigted28 // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Still no palyers signed yet though…………..have we made any moves for players or is all the printed tosh just to sell papers?

• 7 mark // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Bigted28- the latter id say mate.

• 8 Greg B // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Comment #4, completley agree Ed (however I did get a telling off on the ’67% want Shearer as #2′ thread for having these views :))

• 9 BristolMag // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM

On the signings front, it’s all a bit of worry really. I’ve yet to see a single report of anything linking us to a player that isn’t more than just media tittle-tattle or agents stirring things up.

We need to hear that we have officially approached clubs or made offers!

• 10 Obafan // Jan 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Bigted28 – I’ve got the same feeling like you. I thought one of the reasons why FSA was sacked and replaced by KK was the fact that MA wanted his own man to splash his cash. Perhaps there might be someone coming, but I really doubt it. I rather have no-one than someone average (remember Onyewu las year).

• 11 ToonKing // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I’m not all that gutted..i wanted him to be assistant but now maybe we can get someone with tactical know how.

• 12 nufctj // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Onyewu! being over here in America I could have told you about him before he ever pulled on the Black and White. World Cup 06 Group game vs Italy, the goon takes a red card about 20 mins in. Onyewu was and is a horrible defender who is bad with the ball and has no positional sense what so ever. There are many better American defenders, he is just quite a physical specimen so he attracts attention. But he is not even a first team selection for the USA anymore.

Here are three American players the Toon should go after: Josie Altidore (Forward, MLS) and Jimmy Conrad (CB, MLS), Benny Feilhaber (Mid, Derby)

The Yanks are Coming! just take a look at team USA, aka Fulham FC . Ok maybe not a good example since they are in the relegation zone, but nonetheless, they have got some solid contributions from American players (McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra) and did not have to break the bank to get them.

• 13 Davie // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I honestly couldn’t give a f#$k if shearer gets a role at the club… his ego is massive and he will not be any part of the backroom staff!

On to more important things… where are these signings I was expecting 2 this week in all honesty!

• 14 Edd Case // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Im glad – mind you, Terry Mac must be rubbing his hands.

• 15 Dave Atkinson // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM

The main reason for getting Shearer in as No.2 was to get him ‘inside the tent, rather than outside, peeing in’. Can’t say I’m really diasappointed now that Shearer isn’t going to join Keegan but I do think it reflects quite badly on the man.

If Shearer had shown any humility, he could have come out and said “I see myself as a No.1 but, as it’s Keven Keegan, the most successful Newcastle manager in living memory, he is the only manager on the planet I’d be delighted to work with as a No.2. I sincerely hope my time will come but the priority right now is the rebuilding of Newcastel United and getting us to the top of the league. I love the club so much, I’ll always do anything I can to make it successful.”

Unfortunately, the arrogant tw*t could bring himself to say it.

• 16 craig chisholm // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:18 PM

glad shearer is not number two – WHERE ARE THE F’ING NEW PLAYERS!!!!!

• 17 Cyprus Mag // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:33 PM

I am a bit concerned about this development. When the team hits a bad patch I can almost hear now the chants for Shearer, very unsettling.
    I can see why it is difficult, Shearer couldn’t be expected to take less than no. 2 but KK needs a more experienced coach in that position.
    Anyone who thought our problems are over with KK’s appointment are fools but he is still our best bet for a bright future.

• 18 Cyprus Mag // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Not only that, I thought Shearer would make a good no. 2 and develop into a good no. 1 one day

• 19 Ashton // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I’m so f&%ked
    we need new signes and new players
    just one or two will be nice !

i mean we are linked with tons of footballers in the world ffs !!

oh and f&%k shearer
    players are the priority now so move your little arse keegan !

bollocks

• 20 Stockley // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:53 PM

im honestly more concerned with the lack of signings, to me this is no crises about the number 2 spot right now.all that i know is we have a thin squad. when the breaking news came up on ssn and they said it concerned newcastle i hoped it was going to say we have launced a bid for someone, hopefully woodgate, i was hoping we were gonna put in a bid of our own for woodgate. i think if we bid, he join ina heart beat over spurs. look at the factors. kk gave him his first england cap, he has played for us before and had a good relationship with us, he wouldnt have to move, he can stay up north with family/friends. also at toon we have players that he has played with at leeds and england… sorry i’ll get over this woodgate thing eventually!
    new players now please!

• 21 keegan // Jan 25, 2008 at 3:57 PM

yesterday everyone saying they didnt want chimbonda after what he has said today there is no way anyone will want him at this club.

”kevin keegan has approached me and they’ve offered me more money.”I am definately leaving spurs.”Its all about the money i don’t care about tyhe final.”

would anyone really what this greedy little shit?

• 22 scott9 // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:02 PM

i aint bothered shearer will be no 1 one day i justed worried that we aint gonna sign anyone and woodgate will go to spurs

• 23 Dave Atkinson // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Keegan – can you stick to the subject thread please.

Cheers.

• 24 scott9 // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:03 PM

please sign pandev i really want this one to happen it will exite the fans and lift them a bit a bit of flair in the team s what we miss

• 25 scotty // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Not to bothered really. I trust KK to choose his back room staff for the benefit of the club – not for MORE publicity.

I’m more concerned that we haven’t signed any “experienced premier league players”. I know KK has been out of the game for years but surely he must have had players in mind who he would have loved to sign – before his second coming!

• 26 Tom_Toon // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Just get a fookin central midfielder if nobody else! Meireles is my choice – class act.

• 27 toon1978 // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM

A little concerned Shearer aint come in as No 2 and to rub salt into wounds NO SIGNINGS at all, i have given up hope of new signings now we will struggle big time until the end of the season.

• 28 graham // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM

all of you who are whinging that we haven’t signed anyone are fools. Why say who we want only to see the price increased because of doing so? That’s the way our previous regime worked.

You don’t see ferguson or wenger telling everyone who they want do you?

Calm down ffs – the signings will come. Even if we don’t get anyone in jan keegan will get the team playing the way they can

• 29 graham // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:26 PM

oh almost forgot – couldn’t give 2 hoots about shearer. Keegan needs the men he can trust around him. Shearer cares about shearer and his ego

• 30 keegan // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM

i think shearer would have to much of a say he was talking about the job on match of the day before he had even spoken to king kev when he should’nt.

• 31 keegan // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:28 PM

graham – agree since shearer went to motd he has got a bit big headed

• 32 nufctj // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Shearer not being No. 2 is fine with me really, It would have ben nice, but obviously either KK or As or both were not comortable with that.

I agree that there are a few too many here who are anxious about signings. I think it has already been said but begs to be repeated: I’d rather sign nobody than sign shite!

And yes, I also agree, that I don’t think CM and KK would go about saying I want to sign this player or that player. Just not a good business practice. Most of what we read are rumors that have no grounding in the truth. But it is fun to speculate none the less.

• 33 Tom_Toon // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Raul Meireles or Daniele Dessena please!

• 34 Keltik // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM

@ ED HARRISON

your reporting on this article is woefully incorrect.

You advise that Keegan offered Shearer a Job but not as Number 2, which is COMPLETE BS.

Ed, if you read the actual article on Sky Sports where you got this info from you wil find that after four hous of discussion they had come to the conclusion that Shearer would not be able to take up a Number 2 role, which is different from Keegan ofering him a job seperate as assistant.

it then goes onto state what Keegan actually said which is that they came to the conclusion he cannot be number 2 but that Keegan hopes Shearer will stil join in some other capacity.

Please edit your article to show the truth, you seem to be increasingly going down the route which most of the london based journo’s go down, if you dont have all the facts you just seem to make it up.

seriously, i reall liked this blog when it first started but the level of journalism and effort that goes into your arcticles has vastly degraded over the past 3 months, i mean not only do you report on all the dross that appears on NewsNow tha is ALWAYS incorrect but you also speculate an awful lot, and even get facts wrong that are widely available.

Anyway im gutted that SHearer wont accept the number 2 role, my assumpton is that he wants to still be a BBC pundit on MOTD which will prevent him from being Assistatnt Manager but will not prevent him from being a coach, or sme other smaller role.

Again Ed, please change your article so you at least retain a modicum of journalistic integrity.

• 35 nufctj // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM

sorry to go off subject but I just read Sevilla is valuing Fabiano at 44m pounds.

Are they daft?

• 36 craig chisholm // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM

graham, i disagree mate, we should be trying balls to the wall to get some top people in NOW. we all know that we are short on numbers esp with african nations, barton going to jail, carr is shit and viduka is not interested. most teams are having activity esp the ones under us. we are standing still or so it seams. anyway, most managers gob off about who they want to bring in, you mention sir alex…. he was constantly gobbing off about tevez, carrick and esp hargreves saying how much he wanted to sign them. keegan said he wanted woody back but we never put an offer in and now he has gone to spurs for 7 million. do we have a jan war chest at all???

• 37 Tom_Toon // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Yes, hes an ageng striker worth 12 mil, tops.

• 38 Keltik // Jan 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM

it seems other sites are saying the same as me, that AS would not give up his MOTD slot so Keegan wont offer him the NUmber 2 role.

It just dumbfounds me as a Toon fan, that another Toon fan would reject the offer of becoming the assistant manager at the Toon!

who cares about speaking for 15 minues on MOTD? especially compared to the potential success of our club.

P.S. you still need to correct you article Ed.

• 39 Leo* // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM

james ur comment 5 is spot on, i think what your getting at is that shearer will have negative impact on the manager if he doesnt take the same opinion

• 40 Ed Harrison // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Keltik – honestly I’m just trying to report the truth. However, I read your comment and have updated the article near the end with some more relevant stuff – it does look as though Alan wanted to keep his job at the BBC – so number 2 was out.
    I’m hoping when his stint at the BBC is finished he can join Kevin at Newcastle. There was nothing meant to be sinister about the reporting – honestly – probably just wasn’t very good as you point out.
    :D
    And I rely on other sources for the news – I hardly ever make things up on here – only opinions – and we invite your opinions too – very much so.
    Am trying to be as straight as possible – but I’m also biased completely towards the club of course – cannot help that.
    :D

• 41 Ed Harrison // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:21 PM

6 days to go – where’s the new players? Surely we want Woodgate.

• 42 keep oba // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Great. Show me something first Shearer…I need to see how he can manage…anything…southhampton or partner up with Glenn at Norwich…or go to Notts County, Rochdale, Shrewsbury, Boston United even…Manage something before Ashley hands you over the keys to a huge managerial position..(huge in size and the job left to do).

• 43 obafemimartins // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:28 PM

i think shearer has realised he needs experience to get a job @ newcastle because MA & CM dont want him to fail nad not be a hero anymore. does anyone know where i can watch the match online.

• 44 carl // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM

i didnt want shearer as no 2 anyway, they are two big egos and theirs only room for one. and on the signings front, at least they arnt panick buying, if we cant get the quality now we will just have to wait. i mean kk been in the job less than 2 weeks, and people are already on his back urging him to sign lpayers.it isnt that easy!! tbh the players we do have should be in the top 7 easy, so dont panick if we dont get anyone, have faith in kk

• 45 carl // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM

@ craig, of course we have funds!! mort,ashley and keegan confirmed this, its just they aint going to go for anyone ,and the players they do want prob wont come in january.we may get 1 signing i think but like kk said they have to be real quality.

• 46 Hadrian // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Ed apparently we consider woodgate tobe overpriced .
    think we need to realise kevin will be working round sam’s tranfer target list and any player that’s being offered by agents to him , thats alot of video’s to watch , and he doesnt want to make a wrong move here .
    its going to come down to the wire i think for signings , i really belive we will have at least one head turner of a signing if its possible as a show of intent tho .

my role for shearer would be sending him to berbatov’s mums house with a signed shirt and a box of chocolates ,
    ronaldo’s mum seem’s tobe doing a great job lining his next club up for him, surely mrs berbatov can sort it out for us aswell !!!

• 47 robin // Jan 25, 2008 at 5:46 PM

in the sky interview with keegan there was no mention of motd he said shearer was going to talk it over with his family and get back to keegan monday or tuesday also terry mac on official website said hopefully fourth member before not too long (keegan,cox, himself,shearer)

• 48 ende // Jan 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

All this says is that Shearer won’t be #2, not that he won’t be involved. I think a lot of people are putting words in Alan’s mouth. Regardless of which way he is likely to go, let’s actually wait until he does something before judging him on his actions.

Anyhow, Shearer, if willing, would make a great offensive coach.. striker coach. He could work with Owen, and from Owen as captain to Shearer to Keegan, this team might start to gain a sense of itself through this leadership.

• 49 ToonKing // Jan 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM

this lack of signings is really depressing man………………. :(

i was really confident we’ll bring in a couple faces this week, it’s not gonna happen now…..

• 50 Tom_Toon // Jan 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Tiago’s move to Spurs broke down and skysports recon we are interested, hes a good all round midfielder but i rate Meireles higher simply because of his passing.

• 51 Petworth Mag // Jan 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Hadrian. LOL I think Big Al would do us all a favor by bringing Berb a new set of black & white jammies.

nufctj – Josie Altidore for me, the guy looks like he could handle the epl, lets get him in before anyone else does.

Pandev is not gonna happen, nor woodgate nor tiago. not expecting anything else but i’d do a oba backflip if we landed Modric

• 52 Black and White Blood // Jan 25, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Words of wisdom:
    “All good things come to those who wait”
    “Remember only fools rush in”

Come on guy’s we wanted KK, now let him do his job – I’m sure he will buy, but only when he’s certain they are the right players…. No more buys like Carr, Barton – come on let him do it his way…

• 53 J // Jan 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Ed Harisson – I think this site is excellent and you do a great job, who cares if there is an article that may not ACTUALLY happen, i like it alot! Thanks

• 54 Black and White Blood // Jan 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Ed Harisson – May I second that notion, without this very website a great deal of us Black and White supporters would have little or no means of voicing our thoughts – All in all a Brilliant website, and a big thank you for providing such a facility – Good job….!!!!

• 55 Midd The Yid // Jan 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Alright losers,

I bet your team could do that to the arsenal, well keep dreaming.

• 56 steve // Jan 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM

ok – have just left the pub but my spurs mate who knows quite a few people at spurs reckons we’ve offerred 25 mil for berbatov!
    he reckons he’s been told it’s almost a done deal

• 57 Black and White Blood // Jan 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Steve – don’t but it mate – We all seem to have a mate who knows someone in a club…..lol…..!!!!

• 58 Midd The Yid // Jan 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Nice one steve, lay off the poppers its gone to your head. You have a kitty of 20 million so how can you offer 25m.

Keep dreaming.

• 59 Ed Harrison // Jan 25, 2008 at 8:49 PM

ToonKing – it may go down to late Thursday night – but think we’ll still get in 3 players – there are some decent players available – we should get them in now – as long as Kevin thinks they are right for the club. Keep smiling – things are going to get great sooner rather than later.
    :D

• 60 Midd The Yid // Jan 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM

ToonKing

Ed Harrisons right. King Kenny will sign some over rated sh*te before the window closes.

Maybe someone who isn’t far from claiming a pension like gary speed. And you all will claim he is the golden child.

You lot are pathetic.

Come on you spurs.

• 61 Tom_Toon // Jan 25, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Just hope we get a half decent centre mid who can do everything: pass, shoot, score, cross, tackle and has a high work rate, hopefully people like: Raul Meireles, Sebastian Eguren etc.

• 62 tommyy // Jan 25, 2008 at 9:36 PM

steve – tis true, but its more likely to be a summer deal.

• 63 jimbo // Jan 25, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Christ, some people actually WANT Shearer as manager. Mental.

• 64 jimbo // Jan 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM

“ToonKing

You lot are pathetic.

Come on you spurs.”

I’d rather buy Speed than Bent!!

previous post: Newcastle Captaincy Good For Owen