The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan Still Wary of Using Barton

9:36 am, Saturday, January 26th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Kevin Keegan had the option of playing Joey Barton in today’s game at the Emirates, but decided against it.

joey-barton-9839.jpg

Joey Barton – strict bail conditions

Kevin Keegan talked about Joey Barton yesterday:

“Joey’s desperate to be involved as you would imagine – I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t – but it has to be the right time and the right place,”

“I had the option and I could have played him. But I don’t think it would have been right for him or for the other players.”

Barton was arrested on December 27, and has since been charged with assault and affray. He is being treated at a Hampshire clinic and must be back there by 7 pm every night. So it is difficult for the club to involve Joey, which to their credit they have been doing. As it is, Joey’s being brought into training and back again by a helicopter. That’s quite an expense and hassle for the club, to keep a player on bail fit and healthy.

To us the club are going out of there way to keep Joey involved – but he hardly deserves all the trouble the club is taking. Kevin continued about when he may introduce Joey back to the first team:

“I’d like it to be a home game so we can control the environment around us a little bit more – he understands that,” “In his mind, I think he hoped I’d say ‘Come and play at Arsenal’. ”

“But I think he knew I would not do that to the other players. I wouldn’t do it if he was in the team and it was someone else taking his place.”

Our home game with Middlesbrough kicks off at 1:30 pm next Sunday afternoon, but Keegan seems unwilling to involve him in that game either.  But we have to remember what happened here, and this is all Joey’s doing, and he has to suffer the consequences for his actions. Bad actions have bad consequences – as we’ve told our kids for the last 30 years or so.

Hopefully, Barton will learn from these mistakes he keeps making, otherwise his football career may be over. It’s that serious.

What do you think about this?

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Joey Barton · Newcastle News

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 spidey // Jan 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM

he’s been given so many chances… will he ever learn???

• 2 craig chisholm // Jan 26, 2008 at 9:47 AM

if barton can ever get his head out from his arse he would be a tremendous player………….big if though.

• 3 Steeley // Jan 26, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Good! I’m glad Keegan has seen sense! I would have been desperately disappointed if Barton had been allowed to play with 2 assault charges ongoing….I hope the little turd gets banged up and gets done up the sh!tter by Leroy and Bubba….but then he’d probably like that from what the rumours say!

In all seriousness, he deserves to have his contract cancelled. I just worry about where we will recoup our money from as no-one will want to buy him….especially if he gets jailed.

Cheers Fat Sam – another reason to join the massively long list as to why you got the boot….you chump!

• 4 Anon // Jan 26, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I do have a great source……
    Woodgate wants to sign for the toon, however, the toon are not willing to meet the asking price of 8m.
    The toon have offered 5m citing Woodies injuries as high risk and a gamble. Boro are diggin their heels in and trying to get woody to move to Spuds!!
    But he has made it clear, the toon is where he wants to be!!

Whether an agreement can be met is down to boro….they will have the final say on where he ends up!!

This will be the only signing in this window if it comes off!! If it doesnt there wil be NO signings!!

I do not joke or make up!!!

• 5 Witters // Jan 26, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Steeley you are a total moron!!

Yeah Barton hasn’t done himself any favours but the lads got an alcohol problem that has no concept of who you are, how much money you earn hence why he’s in that place in Hampshire.

We should be offering support not hoping he gets r@ped in the showering you f**king low life!

I’ve got mates who’ve had alcohol and drugs addications and with the right support mechanism & guidence they’ve sorted themselves out. No reason why Joey Barton can’t do the same cos without doubt he’s a wicked player (when in the right frame of mind)

Ignorant tw@ts like yourself deserve the butt fcking…..c8ck!

• 6 SteveM // Jan 26, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Totally agree with you witters – why wish evil on our own? – we should be wishing that he is proved inocent! – he hasn’t been tried yet and as i understand it him and his family that were with him suffer tremendous verbal abuse that was aimed at provoking him – and in the end no medical treatment of the “asault victim” was needed – so it can’t have been mush of an asault – Let me ask you a question Steely – if someone comes up to you in a bar and keeps on slagging off you , your family – having really nasty digs at you – calling you a total A## f’### saying your mother was a b#### should have been put down – what would you do steely? Barton is alledged to has “asaulted but not injured the abuser” i.e. – he made physical contact – like he pushed him! – alledged because – it isnt a story for the press if he didn’t do anything – I’m glad keegan is supporting Barton he’s have a very tough upbringing and as far as I can see has done way better than most who started in his position.

• 7 Leo* // Jan 26, 2008 at 10:53 AM

witters, calm down ur passions son, im sure steely is just frustrated that he hasnt paid off.

as i am too, remember our great english center back in john terry… he was apparntly worse than barton is, but no one mentions that.

im keeping an open mind, wait till he is proved innocent or guilty to make my virdict

• 8 Beechy // Jan 26, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Well said Witters!! 100% in agreement……..

Steeley is just one of the greatest examples of ignorance there is on this planet.
    He must be one of the very few that hasn’t gone out, got pi££ed and done and said things he has regretted whilst under the influence!!Mammys little angel!!!
    Well people who have the problem of not being able to control their addiction to alchohol tend to do these things in threefold……..
    It is an illness and there is a great lack of understanding of it, which breeds ignorance!! It is bliss after all as they say, and so in some cases it can be excused!

However, to come out and say he hopes the lad should be R*ped??????

That is not ignorance it is moronic, and shows a lack of the mental ability to hold down a serious conversation with normal people, and a limited understanding of real life, tends to happen in mammies boys!!

Steeley, i bet your mammy wouldnt be happy to read these comments of yours!!

Very intelligent!!!

• 9 Mick // Jan 26, 2008 at 10:58 AM

ED, why on earth do you allow Monkeys like Steeley on this blog to spout such filth!!FFS….

Comments like that are highly unlikey to affect Mr Barton, but pricks like steeley obviously havent got mates or family who have drink probs or have been to jail, or god forbid been gang R*ped.

F***in offensive little P*ick

• 10 t-g-w // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Steely should be banned from this site for comments like that.

• 11 ObaFan2 // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

ANON, ur great source said that we were offering money for Gerrard earlier this week!

Anyway, sounds like Woody’s coming back and will sign very soon.

As for Barton, well he shouldn’t be playing becaue there are too many distractions and the opposition would do everything they could to wind him up and he’d likely see red again!

• 12 Steeley // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Get over yourselves you bunch of jumped up chumps!! I’ve seen my fair share of people with drink problems down the line, and no, I dont know any of them who managed to get themselves arrested twice in the space of a year for assault.

SteveM – unless you’re a copper working on the case I would suggest that you actually have no idea at all what was suggested to have happened. The only thing that is known for sure is that Barton has been arrested twice for some form of assault or another.

I do agree that if someone is provoked that they have a right to react, however, most people arent being paid £60k a week to now sit on their arse in a clinic and make themselves unselectable!

Quite frankly, of course I dont really want him to get raped – that’s just idiotic of you to think I would genuinelly want that – how very disappointing that there are people stupid enough to think that. Leo* got it spot on – it’s just frustration!

And by the way, I’m sur my world wouldnt end if I got banned from the site – unlike you few who reacted to my comment who probably havent got anything better to do with your lives!

Now get over yourselves!

• 13 stjames // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Ed: “… He is being treated at a Hampshire clinic and must be back there by 7 pm every night… As it is, Joey’s being brought into training and back again by a helicopter…. ” :( :( :(

This is incredible. Joey is by court order being medicaly/psychologically treated at a semi closed clinic. I suppose the idea is to help him concentrate on his illness and shelter him from outside pressure and interference.

In steps Joey’s employer and flies him away in a helicopter in his time between sessions and courses at the institute. And he, the employer, is even contemplating putting Joey up on center stage at the biggest show on earth, which football is, before he has been properly discharged. And according to KK, this is all done to help Joey. Stress and outside attention has always been helpful for curing mental disorders, – hasn’t it.

In my opinion Joey should be left alone and he should only be back at the club if he’s acquitted and has been able to make substantial progress regarding his own affairs (hard to measure I know). The club should make it absolutely clear to him that he’s on his own if he doesn’t behave in the future. And it can take considerable time to come to grips with a mental condition.

KK is speaking like the club is acting in the interest of Joey. I beg to differ. The club is probably minimizing Joey’ change of success.

• 14 Sinead // Jan 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM

What Barton needs is someone to give him a kick up the arse. (Obviously not literally) It’s clear he’s struggling, it’s clear the young lad needs help but like he needs someone to sort him out. He’s a good player, he just needs a fresh start. He needs to get all this jail crap sorted first and then he needs to start again. Where, I don’t know. I don’t think Newcastle’s the place for that though his board may have to much chalk on it to wipe clean.
    Maybe Sunderland, if anyone can sort him out it’s Keane.

previous post: Woodgate – Decision Time – Spurs or Newcastle?

next post: Keegan May Give Youngsters Their Chance