Shearer – We’ll Do What’s Right For Newcastle

Alan Shearer talked about the discussion Alan and Kevin had about bringing Shearer into the club as assistant manager, last Thursday evening.

Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan

It seems that Kevin is very keen to seek Alan’s help, and from what we can tell Shearer only wants what’s right for the club.

Shearer said today:

“We hadn’t spoken for a while and we had a really good evening on Thursday,” “Kevin’s forgotten more about management than I know and he wanted to bring me in in that role (assistant).”

“But after we spoke about it we decided it wasn’t right, most importantly, for the football club.” “We’re very similar people, very opinionated and at times you might need something different in a number two.”

“We will speak again in the week but it has to be right, not for me, but for the football club,” “I have a role there already as an ambassador, I have that role but Kevin is keen to get me into the training ground.”

“I fully understand that other managers have been in and I tried to keep my distance. But Kevin says even if I don’t have any training ground (responsibilities) he wants me to come in and have lunch and even use it as a gym if I want.”

This sounds good coming from Alan, so the deal now is how to use Alan in a role where he can contribute most to the club with Kevin as manager. Alan is very like Kevin, and he’s right to say it wouldn’t work too well for them to work closely together. But we see they are trying to work something out that’s for the good of the club – which is great.

We’ll just have to wait and see if they can work anything out – but it’s got to work and move the club forward.

What do you think?

• Leo*

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM

haha love that, darsley park shearers personal gym

• ende

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Very positive progress between these two so far. Very glad to see it’s not going to be an issue of Alan as 2nd or he’s going elsewhere. Seems Kev and Alan are very willing, if not eager, to overlap their stays here at Newcastle. I’ll say it again, a coaching role, particularly a striker coach or offensive coaching role would be great for Shearer, though it seems even if the two decide that Alan won’t have a direct role at the club right now, he’ll still be very closely associated and even warmly welcomed within the current leadership. Either extreme, or something in between, seems to be a positive result for these negotiations. A win-win for everyone.

Now, back to transfers and results….

• tippo

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM

I think I agree with Shearer that it has to be a decision that suits the club more than him. Shearer possibly needs a role somewhere he gets experience so that down the line he can became the manager.

Becoming a striker’s coach is not that bad either.

• Bobby Ollox

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:03 PM

For me its a case of not opening all your christmas presents in one go.

Keegan will give us 3 years and then hand it on to someone else – I would rather that was shearer then, and then we will have 8 -10 years of the style of football we want.

• Greg B

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:18 PM

I personally would like Keegan here longer that the 3years+, that would mean he was doing something right. Lets hope whatever decision Shearer comes to it IS right for Newcastle.
    Are they going to rename the gym ‘Shearer’s’ too?

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:19 PM

shearer would still do a better job than smith

• Hadrian

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:54 PM

keegan could give us ten years if all go’s to plan , baffle’s me the people that have his replacement lined up .
    end of next season we should have challanged for a uefa spot and keegan should be getting a contract extension .

alan should come in now and coach , even the support he would offer is a good thing , aswell as the pulling factor .

• Black and White Blood

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Guy’s only just arrived back now – completely shocked regarding Woodgate – However, delighted with our performance. The first half performance by the Black and Whites was nothing short of remarkable, and I mean remarkable. The team did not resemble anything we have seen in many years, out playing Arsenal. That said, the quality of Arsenal after they scored was awesome, although, aided by our own confidence getting the better of us – Score definitely was not a true reflection of the game….. Imagine if Keegan can achieve this after only 7 or so days with SA players, what will he do after having a longer period of time with the squad, in particular his own players!!!

Any other fans who were there…. have you ever been to a ground where the home fans were so S**t, even when the were 3 up, nothing!!!!! Really proud of our travelling fans well done boys [again] – We are on the up….. Need a play maker though for definite!!!

• jimmy

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Shearers overbearing presence at the club over the years has been, for too long, part of the problem with Newcastle . Yes he has been a fantastic contributor to the game but its not about him any more, its about the club and the fans and the current set of players. His wants and needs are secondary to all that, and its taken 4 managers 2 owners and a bunch of rat bag directors 5 years to explain that too him. Thank god for Keegan.

• Adrian Swall

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:15 AM

3-0 flattered the gooners. We probably edged it the first half and could have easily been two up, Once they got into their stride in the second half they looked brill, and we looked like we need some midfield inspiration.

Owen doesn’t look right at all, and Shay still can’t command his area – he should only shout ‘Leave it’ not ‘Yours’. I know he’s a great shot-stopper but he completely baffles the defence at times.

Southern beer is getting better. Just as well really, since it looks like broon will be brewed outside the NE pretty soon 🙁

• big dunc

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:29 AM

jesus what a depressing day, no, trophy , no shearer, no signings, cant wait for this season to be over maybe next season well be able to get into top 10 if were lucky

• Black and White Blood

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:30 PM

big dunc – No serious, it wasn’t all bad – We demonstrated just how good we can be under Keegan – Ok poor result, but honestly I’m so happy, the difference under KK was amazing…

Adrian Swall – Pleased you made it in time for beer..!!! We just got there in time for kick off 2:45pm, traffic was unreal!!!! – What did you make of there fans..?