The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer Didn’t Want Number 2 Role at Newcastle

11:54 am, Saturday, January 26th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan had their long-awaited conversation on Thursday, and it seems the two of them had an amicable discussion, and Kevin probably went over with Alan exactly what his plans were for the club.

At the end of it Alan decided he didn’t want the number 2 role – at least for now.

alan-shearer-12322.jpg

Alan Shearer - mulling over an offer from Keegan

But what is apparent is that Kevin seems keen to get Alan into the club.  He has probably been encouraged by Chris Mort to look on Alan Shearer as his successor,  but as Kevin rightly points out, too much planning cannot be done in the topsy turvy would of the Premier league.

Kevin told the Newcastle Journal today about his talk with Shearer:

“I spoke with him for four hours,” “It was great to see him again. At the end he said, ‘I definitely don’t want to come as a number two at the moment’. “

“But I think he is interested in joining us. He is going to talk about it with Lainya (his wife). She was away and we will talk again on Monday. There is no pressure on him to join us.”

“The perfect scenario is for him to get more involved as time goes on and eventually take over from me. I have three-and-a-half years on my contract, I will nearly be 60. But that is a perfect world, let’s wait and see what he comes back with.”

“I have not made a decision on who will be my assistant. I have got a lot of good staff around me. I am not one who needs numbers ones, twos and threes. If I have two or three guys around and if they can all be number twos when I need them that will be okay.”

So we’ll see what Alan comes back with – but it wouldn’t surprise us if Alan completes his contract at the BBC, and then has another discussion with Kevin on the role he could then assume at the club. That’s in about 18 months time and that will then give Alan a couple of years in the job to learn the ropes, before taking over from Kevin in 2011.

But as we said you cannot plan too much ahead – after all 60 is hardly an old age these days, and many managers are now managing way past that age.  We also wouldn’t be surprised to see Kevin be manager, after his initial contract is up – as long as we are successful again.

What do you think?

Comments always welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 scottish mag // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM

does any1 no if the game is live anywhere on the net 2day

• 2 Toon! Toon! // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:14 PM

You will probably find it here soon:

it even says: “Link will be posted soon”

• 3 scottish mag // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:16 PM

do u know if it costs anythin to download it toon toon

• 4 Steve_48 // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM

• 5 Hadrian // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:28 PM

scottish mag ,

or myp2p.com

both sites give lists for the games .

you just need a range of (free)software depending on the match really .
    sopcast , tvants , TVU

• 6 tommyy // Jan 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM

data base error!!

• 7 AlexW // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:28 PM

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT WOODGATE :D

• 8 Nev // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM

yep!

just came up on bbc on the smoggies game … get in :D

• 9 tommyy // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:33 PM

woah, woah, woah. At an advance stage, its not a done deal yet.

• 10 Steeley // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

tommyy – if he didnt even bother going to Spurs for talks then he’s obviously desperate to join us – regardless of what happens he will leave Boro – I would say it’s pretty much a done deal.

Glad that extra million seems to have dropped off the price – he’s not worth £8m! £7m is still pushing it…..our medical team had better be on their toes and give him the strictest medical known to man!

• 11 tommyy // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM

If we keep him fit 7 mill is a snip in my eyes :D

• 12 Leo* // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM

great, succession plans. cant remember when we have had that in the past…?!

keegan is a great motivator i think that he will be able to get the best out of the players that are at the club, hopefully we may get 1 or 2 people in before the window slams shut

• 13 tommyy // Jan 26, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Official news that we have signed woodgate :D

previous post: Keegan, Mort Planning Longer Term on Transfers