The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan To Players – Give Me 90 Minutes This Time

11:05 am, Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Kevin Keegan has told his players to show him what they’ve got before the end of the season.

kevin-keegan-2229.jpg

Kevin Keegan – wants something out of Arsenal game tonight

That’s a great ploy coming from the manager because they have under-produced bug time so far this season for Sam Allardyce, and it’s about time we saw the best out of them.

Keegan was delighted with his side’s first-half display at Arsenal on Saturday but was obviously disappointed when the Gunners stepped up in the second half and raised their game and Newcastle stepped back, and conceded 3 goals in the final 45 minutes.

Kevin is as confident as ever for the game tonight, and is hoping for some kind of result as he told Newcastle World TV:

“If we play like that against most teams in the Premier League then we’ll have more to cheer about than we will to cry about,” “We’ve had a really good go and I was delighted with that. The lads showed courage and we should’ve gone in ahead at half-time.”

“Now we’ve got to try to find that level of performance for 90 minutes at Arsenal on Tuesday. That’s no guarantee we’ll get something but we’ll certainly go close if we play like we did in the first-half.”

“That’s what the lads can do. We’ve looked at the squad and said this is a football club who have got players who can play.” “We’ve thrown the gauntlet down to them and said, ‘Come on, you’re built to play, show us what you’ve got’.

“I think they still lack a bit of confidence to be honest. But that doesn’t worry me, a lack of ability would, but a lack of confidence we can do something about.”

It should be another good game to watch, but it would be nice to start picking up some points. In our last 5 league games we’ve only picked up a solitary point, and that has to improve, sooner rather than later.

Tags: Newcastle News

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Chicken // Jan 29, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I know I posted this on a previous thread, but would be interesting to see what people think…

How many points does everyone think we’ll get between now and the end of the season? (bearing in mind there’s 45 up for grabs)

1. 0-7
    2. 8-14
    3. 15-21
    4. 22-28
    5. 29-35
    6. 36+

I’ve had a look at the fixtures and I think we could scoop 23 at best. That would leave us with 50 points (and about 11th in the table) – better than last season but worse than the season before.

• 2 Dan // Jan 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM

i have a feeling our reserve team will play better than the first team… if Kalouda comes in… Tozer, Kadar, Baheng, LuaLua, Krul, Forster, Troisi, Carroll… Wow.. let them play under wraps for 1-2 years together and we can see team coming straight up…

• 3 adam // Jan 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM

i think it will be 4 chicken. i just hope we dont have a leeds season

• 4 Graeme // Jan 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Well, Keegans strong suit is his ability to motivate his players. If they can play like they did in the 1st half against Arse Nil on saturday, for the full 90 mins, its got to be a step in the right direction.

I still dont think we will go down, there are still 4 teams a lot worse than we are. Its not forward thinking, I know, just a fact. The season is a right off, so just have to look forward to next season (again) and hope they get it right in the summer.

• 5 Rich // Jan 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Hey guys how many points do you think will guarantee safety this year? im guessing 36!We need 3 wins from our last 15 in my opinion to be ok. 3rd bottom at present is on 20, cant see them getting more than 16 points till the end of the season.

• 6 hanz-emre // Jan 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Chicken me go for 4. 22-28 if we can constantly play 90 mins like we did in the 1st half of Arsenal game. At least we’d try to get 3. 15-21 points!

• 7 Chicken // Jan 29, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Yep there are some truly awful teams this season – I think you could even stay up with 33-35 points.

• 8 ChrisL // Jan 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Chicken – I reckon between 3 (15-21), I think we’ll be doing well to get about a point a game. So anything above 15 points & I’ll be jumping for joy!
    I have much higher hopes for next season though.

• 9 ChrisL // Jan 29, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I’ve just gone through our remaining fixtures till the end of season… 14 points is what I reckon.
    It makes depressing reading, but realistically we’ll win 4 / Draw 2 / Lose 9.

We’ll Beat:
    Smogs (H) / Fulham (H) / Reading (H) / Sunderland (H)

We’ll Draw:
    Blackburn (H) / Brum (A)

We’ll Lose:
    Arsenal (A) / Villa (A) / ManU (H) / Liverpool (A) / Spurs (A) / Portsmouth (A) / West Ham (A) / Chelsea (H) / Everton (A)

I apologize if anyone thinks I’m being pessimistic, I really hope I’m wrong.

p.s. Keegan always struggles in his 1st season with the toon.
    p.p.s. Check out his record for his 2nd season.

• 10 Chicken // Jan 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I still think we’re capable of turning those draws into wins and some of those losses into draws.

Mind you, we are just as capable of turning the predicted wins into draws or defeats.

On that basis, my most optimistic prediction was P15 W6 D5 L4 = 23pts

(don’t think its too hard to work out who the 4 defeats will come against).

• 11 Leo* // Jan 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM

i reckon we might be able to get 26 points…

• 12 Tripp // Jan 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Those estimates are pretty reasonable. My only hope for the rest of this season is to not be playing Leicster City twice next season (unless Halloway managers to get them promoted, they played with a lot of passion last night).

previous post: Newcastle After Czech Midfielder