Newcastle’s Jimenez May Still Capture Barnes

Tony Jimenez, newly appointed as Vice President of Player Recruitment at Newcastle, was busy on the telephone to Derby County yesterday, trying to acquire the services of their 19 year-old midfielder Giles Barnes.

chris-mort-and-directors.gif

Chairman Chris Mort with Jimenez, Wise and Vetere

Jimenez offered £2M to Derby County and Manager Paul Jewell suggested 3M was closer to the value of their player.

There is still more than 24 hours of the January window left, so it may yet happen, as it is believed that Barnes himself is keen on moving to Newcastle United.

His signing would not be a surprise because you have to believe personal terms have already been discussed and would be acceptable to young Barnes. But it is Jimenez’s involvement that illustrates his new role at the club.

Jimenez, 42, has the new title of Vice President of Player Recruitment, and now essentially handles all the transfer dealings at Newcastle United. Jimenez is connected to Newcastle owner Mike Ashley via Paul Kemsley, the former Tottenham director.

We’ll see if Tony can land Barnes before tomorrow night’s deadline at midnight, but surely Barnes is worth £3M. Let’s get him in – because we need one or two new faces to freshen things up at Newcastle, ready for the run-in to the league over the next 4 months.

We’ll need a few wins in the remaining 14 games to finish in a reasonable position in the league. And Barnes will get the necessary experience with the team, so he’s ready to go, for next season.

• Stevey

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:38 AM

It seems like Chris Mort is being more fiscally responsible than previous Newcastle managers, which I like.

Having said that, I think Jewell’s evaluation of the player is a fair price, and it would be a mistake not to bring him in.

• Greg

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:38 AM

If hes only 3 mill i say snap him up , hes a great young talent and easily worth the spondoolies

• Steve

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Thought this may have been the case. Jewell very clearly refused to close the door on the sale. The mere fact he mentioned figures served only one purpose – to tell us and other clubs, the kind of money they wanted. ie/ “show me the money and he’s yours”. I’d much sooner have young Barnes running around on the right than Milner.

I do hope this comes off. It will give us some hope of breaking teams open again. I expect this is a chance, since we know we’re generally interested.

• KKN39

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:19 AM

if only 3m why bother just take him! brits, 19yr old, PL experience, still looking decent in a team equally bad as ours isn’t this a good enough deal? play Barton if he can play n play well, dun really care what he does off the field as long as he can improve our rubbish midfield. get Huddlestone from spurs to kick our Butts – Spurs may need to recoup some cash, say 4m for its new recruits. still dun understand why we miss out Arshavin, seemingly the only player in a complete package who MAY wanna join us. he can provide pace, creativity, crosses, drive n grits! if we get these 4 to play for us, plus Duff, Zog, Emre, Milner, and maybe Roz we can make a top 6 midfield in PL for less than 15m to pay!

• Coolsmurf

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:24 AM

3m is a steal. just afraid that someone else would come in and scupper the deal since it’s all over the papers…

• Stefano Eranio

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:46 AM

why bother worrying about the extra mil?
    Bent cost Spurs 16mil and look how great he’s turned out…
    3 mil for a talented local lad seems like a STEAL in the current overbloated transfer market.
    I mean if KK is going to have 100mil for transfers in Summer (as some reports suggest), what’s 3 million for one of the more talented lads in this country under 21-yo? A piss in the ocean…
    Plus he’s a -9 PA rating in Football Manager so he MUST be good…

• hamzemre

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:54 AM

agree with all of you. We must move to get some new bloods in the midfield at least 1 now b4 tomorrow’s due date & in the summer with player like Arshavin, Barnes etc. So Butt, Geremi & others we still could use them occasionally for youngsters/new players to get them gel together fast.

• GM

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:30 AM

if kk had/has a jan transfer budget of £25-30 mil surely £3mil is worth a punt. I agree with Steve, Milner has been crap for a while now, lots of effort running up n down the line but hardly ever any end product, get barnes in, if not to freshen things up n give us an option on the bench

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Pay the 3mil now.. get him in the side.. another sub 20yo. The future looks bright..

• Rob Kirton

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Attacking right sided midfielder, can play CM or wide right. Many years ago we paid £7m for Kieron Dyer.

If we can bag him for £3m I’d say get the check book out.

• Bill fb

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:37 AM

The aquisition of Vetere looks like the real plus for us. A real life Tom-Toon with clout (no offence meant there Tom). We might not get any new players (I still think we will) in the final two days but from what I have read about this guy then expect a massive change around in the Summer.
    Perhaps you should get his e-mail Tom, I am sure there may be a forward you can suggest. (It’s funny but I always get that Abba song in my mind when I see your name and a certain player)

• James

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Jewell never said how much he wanted for Barnes. The 3M tag came from SkySports news making it up.

Derby will want more than £3M

• Steeley

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:42 AM

I agree – £3m looks like a snip to be honest!

I hope there’s signings on the horizon coz we need all the help we can get at the moment! I cant even imagine what it will be like if we lose to Boro in our next game!!!!

On a totally different note, has anyone seen the Keegan quotes from the BBC this morning saying that “Wise reports to me”, whereas the NUFC official statement specifically stated that Wise reported directly to the Chairman!?

Seems very strange to me, although Keegan has come out and said that he knew all about Wise coming in (and even helped choose him) – no reason to doubt the truth I suppose…..

• Alan

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:44 AM

WHAT??? Steve would prefer Barnes to milner?
    What Planet are you on?
    Were you one of these “Let’s trade Milner for Viduka” sorts the summer before Last!
    I think Milner should be tied to the club for Life and if Barnes signing would disrupt Milner then he shouldn’t even be considered.

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Alan.. we need cover for all positions.. who’s to say that Milner doesn’t injure himself. Then we’d have nothing. Bring Barnes in.. and do it quickly. (We seem to be slow when it comes to bringing new players in, so lets hope there’s something special for tomorrow).

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:49 AM

3 million!!! MA is a billionare, the potential that Barnes has, we should pay them 6 million. If we dont get anyone in, i may have to question the ambition this new board has at the moment. 3 million is a paltry sum to MA, PAY IT FOR FOOK SAKE !!!!!

• James

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Can’t wait for us to pay the £5m for Barnes, and then in 2 years, all you lot to say why did we waste £5m on Barnes.

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:53 AM

James, If we don’t bring in Barnes.. name another 19yo that we can bring in? And, what if he becomes a superstar and New U profit from it?

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:54 AM

JAMES, a WASTE! Giles Barnes is class, bags of potential, he wont be a waste thats for sure

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:55 AM

No fookin 19 yr old who is a first team regular in the PL is a waste!!!

• GM

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Alan – I think you are wrong, not about milner and his ability but the bigger picture. Milner has looked out on his feet for the last 4 or 5 games, im not knocking the kid, i think he is a great player, but kk has no cover at RM (and almost everywhere else on the pitch for that matter) so milner cant get a break when he is buggered and he doesnt have any competition for his place, so milner doesnt have to push himself in case he gets dropped, both situations are bad for the performance of the team

look at arsenal/manu/chelsea they have fantastic players in their starting 11’s but they all have a player that could come in, in their place, it keeps them on their toes, if they play crap they know they will be dropped. We need that level of cover for all our players, if they look at who is coming through the reserves at the moment they know for a fact that they will not loose their place, irrespective of how they perform on and off the field.

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:58 AM

My point exactly, Ron.

• J

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:58 AM

IF and that is a BIG IF… it is 3m it would be a steal, but from watching him play he is a VERY attacking CM and RM, i have actually seen him play as a forward, so he is DEF the kind of player we could use, so anything up to 5m in my opinion would be well worth it.

Duff/Milner emre barnes N’Zogbia

that looks like a good Midfield to me.

and thats with only getting 1 player in.

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:02 AM

He’s over 6ft tall don’t forget.. 5mil.. a steal

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:03 AM

We need sum1 in, Barnes is perfect for what we are looking for.

• Bill F

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:09 AM

This comment will appear twice as for some reason I put Bill fb instead of Bill F. It is a bit early and we are bloo*y freezing as we have had no heating or hot water as our boiler packed up, getting new one today though.

• GM

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:11 AM

i’d also like to see them break their backs to get that czech player kalouda, he looks another good young midfielder/attacker fom what ive watched on youtube and is capped at international level, roz might be able to sweet talk him. this is also being reported as £3 mil think in the current market, these players for this amount of money is a steal, you never know we might pick up the next ronaldo

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Definately CM, we should have these players IN, 2 days to give this club a lift, I FOOKIN NEED ONE ASWELL!!!! 🙂

• GM

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Totally agree with your comment BillF – Someone yesterday was questioning vetere and his achievements-think it was doom n gloom Black ceasar…anyway, pinched this story which tends to suggest he will be a very good appointment, the structure at real madrid mentioned below seems very similar to what was put in place yesterday at newcastle…

Real Madrid chiefs are disappointed to have lost Jeff Vetere to Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle United.
    The Guardian says staff at Real Madrid’s Valdebebas HQ speak extremely highly of Newcastle’s newest head of player recruitment, both personally and professionally.

An Englishman who is fluent in Spanish, French and Italian, Vetere spent four months at Madrid under the technical director, Miguel Angel Portugal, and the club’s director of international football, the former Barcelona and Rayo Vallecano goalkeeper Julen Lopetegui. His role was to help the Spanish club scout and sign the best talents across the world

• thelongshanks

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:21 AM

I would love barnes at the toon anything under 6m is a bargain.he is bit like jenas,dyer kinda player and opens up defence’s.I would like to see troisi come to cover milner on the right as he is highly though of in australia.Any word on that czech guy looks class?cmon Jimenez only two days left.

• Chicken

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Doesn’t sound that great though does it?…
    (from the beeb wesite)

Wise reports to me insists Keegan

Kevin Keegan and Dennis Wise Keegan wants to make it clear he is the boss of Wise. Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has insisted new executive director Dennis Wise will be under his command.

Wise has been brought in to assist the board on football matters, and Keegan has moved to dispel any confusion over the hierarchical structure of the club.

He said: “I am all for the changes and I approve of them. They want someone on the board who understands football, and Dennis understands football very well.

“It will work very well. Dennis reports to me – the chain is established.”

Magpies chairman Chris Mort has stressed that Wise, 41, will have no day-to-day involvement with the playing squad, but will concentrate on areas such as player recruitment and the development of the academy.

And Keegan – who saw Newcastle lose 3-0 at Arsenal in the Premier League on Tuesday, a repeat of the sides’ FA Cup result three days earlier – believes the policy can pay dividends.

He said: “The club has become slightly fragmented. From my point of view, it’s a positive thing – provided I get all the help I need.

“I know what Dennis is going to do, and the idea in principle is good – to look for new players, to bring youngsters through and do things which our academy isn’t doing so much at the moment.”

Keegan also revealed he was involved in the appointment after speaking to owner Mike Ashley before he returned as manager.

“I knew about it. It’s not a surprise to me, it might be to other people,” Keegan told BBC Radio 5 live.

“Two or three names were given to me when I first sat down and talked about the job with the owner. One of them was Dennis.

“I know Dennis. I know he’s intelligent. I know his job here is to help me. He’s on my side.

“How can any manager be against someone who is going to come to the club to try to bring in talent?

“It’s right for this football club. A lot of people outside might be shocked about it. I think in the long term it’s the right decision. It’s something that needs to be done.”

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Totaly agree, Ventre is a very intelegent bloke, and if Real Madrid are dissapointed to lose him, in the future, we will have the next Ronaldo. I still think we need someone like Barnes for now tho, he has bags of potential

• Chicken

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Dennis reports to me. The club is fragmented. It’s a good idea IN PRINCIPLE.

Reading between the lines I don’t think KK is too happy about this. Especially when you read his quotes from last year when he was offered the role of Director of Football at NUFC.

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Has anyone read the tabloid back pages today? Do NUFC realy deserve such flack? why are they such pessamistic wankers when it comes to Newcastles affairs? BASTARDS!!

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Jeff Vetere already has his eyes on an Italian teenage midfielder.. Keep your ears to the ground on this one 🙂

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Chicken, KK is happy about this, he even said on century radio that Wise was INTELEGENT!

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Ronny.. it’s not even stuff fit for budgies to read.

• Jim

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Finally… an article with genuine unbiased optimism which isn’t from this very good web site:

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:30 AM

AdamCF, where did u hear that and do u know who it is?

• AdamCF

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Let’s just wait and see.. tomorrow night and you’ll know.