The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Make Late Move for Kevin-Prince Boateng

11:06 am, Thursday, January 31st, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

There is breaking news that Newcastle United are set to make a late bid for 20 year-old Tottenham midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng.

kevin-prince-boateng-1.jpg

Kevin Prince Boateng – Newcastle show late interest

Aston Villa are also said to be interested in taking the 20 year-old German midfielder, but now Newcastle United are set to be interested and may be making a late bid.

Boateng is a central midfielder who will turn 21 years old in early March and has been at Tottenham since the summer of 2007. Before that he played in the German League with Hertha Berlin, and appeared for them 72 times scoring 9 goals.

Boateng signed for Tottenham at the end of July last year for a reported £4.5M and has played for them 6 times this season. He was capped at youth level in Germany, but holds dual Ghanaian-German nationality, so is also eligible to play for Ghana.

He is 6’0” tall and was born in Berlin, Germany. In July 2006, Boateng won the Fritz Walter Gold Medal and the title of 2006 Best Young Player in Germany. A jury of German Football Association (DFB), youth coaches and members of the DFB Board, put Boateng top of the poll. He has played 5 times for the Germany Under-21 side.

But Newcastle will face competition from Aston Villa for the player. Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill has made a treble swoop on Tottenham today, for Pascal Chimbonda, Wayne Routledge and Kevin-Prince Boateng. O’Neill has already completed a £1M deal for winger Routledge, and is also hoping to complete a £5M deal for full-back Chimbonda, who is also available.

But O’Neill has today made a surprise move for 20-year-old Boateng, who as we said earlier, only signed for £4.5m for Spurs, from Hertha Berlin, last summer.

What do you think?

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 toon1978 // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Probably a rumour want hold any hopes for signings that has long gone.

• 2 John // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM

good signing if we could get him..but not sure if keegan is really interested after what he said yesterday..

Soppose we will find out today at 12 eh

• 3 ToonKing // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM

he has great potential, but he’s a trouble maker. We seem to like these bad boys.

I would welcome him, but the dark side of this deal is that i heard were offering Zog in a swap deal.

Hope it’s not the case.

• 4 wind // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:20 AM

i rate this player very high since the 1st time i saw him when he was playing im german
    I thnk hes strong and can make rough takle
    I will welcome him but it seems unlikely

• 5 Bill F // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Someone made the point that we are becoming something of a player farm where we buy good youngsters to sell on at higher prices. I must admit I had this horrible suspicion myself at the back of my mind. I just hope that it is purely paranoia on my part but Ashley might just be more of a cynical business man than we first thought. God help our prospects it it was true.

• 6 Nobby's dad // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Sorry this guy must be complete pap. I’ve heard so many Spuds fans on Talk Sport saying he’s useless. One who phoned in yesterday when he heard Villa were interested said he’d drive Boatang there himself. Not much of a recommendation, and I doubt he’s a player that Keegan has seen. Don’t like this Spurs connection with Ashley / Kemsley etc.

• 7 toon1978 // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I hope he aint using our club for his own benefit, he will be hung drawn and quatered.

• 8 meathaus // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:30 AM

he has looked TERRIBLE for spurs this season. He’s not ready for the premier league just yet

we need an attacking midfielder more than anything else…

• 9 toonhitman // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:33 AM

wheres all this money that kev was ment to get,everyone with half a heed knows we need players in,WHATS GONE ON is king kev out his depth.

• 10 Dragoner // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM

i don’t like what i have seen of him at tottenham, all hot air and no real technical ability from what i remember. all i ever hear people say is, “he scored some screamers in germany!”….who cares

• 11 Stamford Toon // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Have just watched a recording of the Assenal game. Did any of you notice how Mort did not even look at or smile when Wise took his seat. There was no communication at all even on later shots. What’s going on? Was Mort overuled on this appointment?
    Sorry to change the subject but it is relevant to the transfer situation.

• 12 geordie_jordan // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM

nufc and spurs just rubbished the swap story

• 13 Toon_Under // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I can kind of understand why we are buying all these youngsters up, but where’s this “hotbed” of local talent? Aren’t we meant to be bringing some of them youngsters through too, or are we just going to buy a new reserve team??

I hope to hell this attitude changes in the summer because we need a few more slightly older heads at this club.

I’m not fussed if we get this guy or not, but if we’re looking at the younger age range, then why not someone like Scott Brown from Celtic? He’s 23 this year and a lot closer to getting into the starting lineup than the kids we’re going after..

Oh and how refreshing not to have a “first” post – kudos to you toon1978!

• 14 toon1978 // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM

good

• 15 Nobby's dad // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Just a quick change of subject. Sissoko has claimed we were after him before he joined Juve. This just shows how much goes on behind the scenes that we never hear about. I didn’t once see us linked with him. He’s a quality player who would have been a great addition to our midfield. This shows to me that we are after the right type of players and I’ve no doubt we’ll make some quality signings in the summer. Role on August 2008!!

• 16 toon1978 // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I dont know why Nufc dont get thereselves down to Wallsend boys club there is much talent to be witnessed there but we seem to favour jumping on a plane to foreign lands where they can just jump on the bus to Wallsend.

• 17 mark // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Yeah were going to bring some thru, but wot u expect them to come thru within a couple of months you tard?

• 18 Rich // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:41 AM

I dont rate Sissoko at all, Scottt Brown tho Tom as you mentioned would be fanatastic, him and Aiden McGeady would go straight into our team and help immensely!

• 19 ToonKing // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM

were linked with Heskey, 7,5 Mil.

• 20 Hadrian // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:50 AM

let me guess , willie mckay is his agent?

• 21 micepie // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:51 AM

What is it with transfer fees, by the way? Whereas with, say, Chelsea and spending a small fortune on two very overrated players a while back in Ballack and Schevenko, currently mid0table clubs are rumoured to be letting go of some of their best players for cheap fees.
    If we sold Zog, I would only listen to opening offers of about 9M if I were KK. If I were Derby I’d want a minimum of 5M for Barnes too.

I don’t know owt about Prince Boateng except that he’s played for Germany but…well, talking of Zog again he was pretty rubbish his first few games so I’d be open minded.

• 22 Micky Toon // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Seriously, this is exactly the type of player we will be signing from now on. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs a big dose of reality.
    Look at the players who are on fire at the moment, Ronaldo, Adebyol(sp?) these are not the types of players we have or are looking to have at the club.
    No doubt ten people on here will say I’m a fairweather fan or more than likely just use their extensive debating skills to tell me to f@!k off.
    Pull your blinkered heads out of the sand and see that we are screwed. You talk about giving KK time and yet would not give BSA time. From what I’ve seen we haven’t changed one bit?
    Progress, what progress?
    No doubt you will be still saying everything is ok when we are relegated, beliving in “the messiah”.
    Keegan is old school, he is lost, you can see in his interviews.

• 23 Hadrian // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM

toon1978 , nufc do have alot of initiatives with wallsend boysa . but im half starting to belive this videogame generation talk as imo there isnt enough young lads playing football regualarly like they used to . gone are the days of spending 12 hours outside playing footie .

boy’s clubs moving to new premessis soon , i think its shocking as the building has been their for decades now , surely it can be updated .

• 24 milner fan // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I think i have to question why would spurs let him go after having him since the summer if he is such a highly rated player??? surely if hes that good he should be involved in first team footy.

Any other transfer romours? i bet we get linked with at least 5 players within the next 8 hrs!! lol

• 25 Taiwan Toon // Jan 31, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Toonking, no…please tell me you are joking.
    Heskey is okay but not good enough for what we are aiming for.
    As for Boateng, I am not sure. If he can not cut it with Spurs, what can he offer to us?

• 26 mark // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Thats it, we havent signed anyone, theres no news of a medical or anything like that. We wont sign anyone. Next season we will win a trophy I hope, I think 100/1 for FA cup, evens for the championship ;)

• 27 Tom Cairns // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Can everyone please stop asking where the money that Keegan was promised has gone!?!? He’s already said that there’s no point in signing players unless they are definitely going to improve our current first team. Basically there’s no-one available that is good enough right now! I would love it if they pulled a deal out but if tey cant deal with it lets look forward to summer.

• 28 Rich // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:08 PM

i hope that we hav not upped our bid for Barnes as we are going to buy Prince-Boateng, he has so much more potential than Barnes and is a much more acomplished player already.

PLEASE LET US SIGN AT LEAST PRINCE-BOATENG!!!!

• 29 Kash2 // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I just read that Jon Guzman of Feyenoord has got his Dutch passport. I’ve seen him play and looks quite a good player, definitely a better player than Milner already. He’d be worth a pop!

• 30 Taiwan Toon // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Tom Cairns, I agree with you but I can also understand why people are panic.

Yes, King Kev did say that he will only sign someone who would improve us. The problem is that many people do not think it is difficult to improve our squad…and I am one of them.

But I will just stay patient as I don’t really mind about our league position this season as long as we are not relegated. I just hope Ashly will show us his ambition in the summer.

• 31 nightfall // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:13 PM

at least we’re trying to sign the right type of players…DMC/ box-to-box players (sissoko)…

some are you are talking AMC is a priority…ok…hmm…we received 42 goals in 24 matches…this tells us that butt, smith, geremi all sucks… we need a leader in the midfield, someone who can break opponents attacks and is not afraid to go forward…we need a player with a great reputation, someone every player respect, someone who’ll bring confidence & balance…THAT’S A PRIORITY…

• 32 t-g-w // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Rubbish player all my spurs mates say he is absolutely terrible. Saw him come on against Manure at the weekend and his control was as good as Ameobi’s. Hope this rumour isn’t true!

• 33 Dragoner // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Rich why would our Barnes bid affect our Boateng bid, they are hardly the same type of player

• 34 Black Caesar // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Micky Toon agree agree agree.

Keegan is totally clueless!!!!!!

• 35 Kash2 // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

@ Mickey Toon – Here’s my extensive opinion with an even more extensive vocabulary – FCUK OFF YOU KUNTING PRICK!!!!

YOU TOO BLACK CAESER YOU 50 PENCE (CENT) WANNABE WIGGA!

• 36 Black Caesar // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM

What on earth is a wigga?????

• 37 Tom_Toon // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Rather have Boateng than Barnes. Boateng has so much potential but he thinks he’s G.

• 38 Tom_Toon // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Wigga = White person who tinks they black.

• 39 Kash2 // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Oh Sorry Black Caesar Salad, I was wrong to call you that because 50 Cent is called “YOUNG CAESAR” in his movie. Let me change what I said, Sorry again, a bit impetuous, however I have something more fitting.

COCK SUCKING SHIT STABBER!!!!

• 40 Black Caesar // Jan 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Now i’m being called a salad! Well I am definitely black and 100 per cent too!!!!!!!

• 41 thelongshanks // Jan 31, 2008 at 1:00 PM

BARNES BEFORE BOETANG!!!!!!!!

• 42 Leo* // Jan 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM

i would like to see boateng at newcastle but not if it were to mean we have to give up nzogbia… there is no contest between them…

i think this is just another agent rumour, the sooner willie mckay get shot the better for the game, he is a big cnut

• 43 toon1978 // Jan 31, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Newcastle’s new technical director Jeff Vetere has lined up the move for the highly-rated forward.

The Italy Under 18 international has agreed personal terms and passed a medical at St James’ Park.

Zamblera has inked a four-and-a-half year deal at St James’ Park.

The Italian becomes Newcastle’s first signing under the new regime of Kevin Keegan and Dennis Wise.

does anyone know how good this kid is tried to look on you tube to no avail?

previous post: Keegan Full of Ideas And Enthusiasm – Duff