Great Words From Dennis Wise

Denis Wise has been interviewed for the first time by the Evening Chronicle today, and he comes across really well.

dennis-wise.jpg

Dennis Wise – Newcastle’s Executive Director of Football

It’s a very good interview and Dennis explains his new position, and he flattens any talk that he’s at the club to manage – so hopefully some of the ridiculous press reports that have accompanied his appointment will now go away.

But we doubt it.

Dennis said:

“A lot of people have got a little mixed up with the reason I am here and we need to straighten that out quite quickly.” “I am not here to be involved in the first team. I am not here to manage.”

“I am here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him.” “He will say yes or no. He has the final word. No-one else. I am not going to do things like bring players in behind his back. I am not into that.”

“Everything that happens will be run past him and he will say yes or no.” “I get on very well with Kevin. He’s a good man and he has a good rapport with the players. He’s not a shouter or bawler. He treats players with respect and that’s why he gets the best out of them.”

“I am looking forward to my role with Newcastle. It’s a big challenge, and when I was asked, it didn’t take too long to say yes.” “It’s something different. I am really looking forward to it and I intend to make it happen. The size of the club and the ambition of the owner and what he wants to achieve attracted me.”

“He not only wants to bring the best players here, he wants the best young players as well.” “He wants to get them from wherever he can get them from. He wants it to grow. That’s what he feels is the right way to go.”

“It’s something we need to build and take on. We need to get as much young talent as possible at this football club.” “That’s why I have got to concentrate more on the Academy. We need more young blood coming through of our own. That’s something that needs to be looked at.”

“We also need to look abroad for young players and that is my intention for the next few years.” “I enjoy working with youngsters, bringing them through. I did that at both Millwall and Leeds United.”

“I enjoyed that part of it. It gave me great satisfaction seeing them coming through and play for the club they have grown up with. It’s important that happens.” “Fans want to recognize someone. When you have a home-grown player it’s very important to the fans to have that special bond.”

“We want a few of them because a lot of top teams have got a couple of their players in there and we would like a few more in Newcastle’s team.”

You may not like Dennis for various reasons, but there’s no doubt he is a good football man, and knows what he’s about. It’s really a fantastic opportunity for Dennis because it will give him a great perspective on the world game, and it’s obvious he’s fully bought into the great vision established for the club by Chairman Chris Mort. Not to mention the fantastic wages he is getting at the club.

It’s now his job to make that vision come true, and if Newcastle can do that, we’ll make a lot of Journalists eat their words. And that has to be our goal, because there’s just a whole bunch of them just willing for Newcastle to fail – again.

They’re already writing off Keegan’s second spell at Newcastle as a failure – after just 3 weeks. But that’s only a clue as to their lack of knowledge of the game. They wouldn’t know a solid football club structure, from a hole in the ground. All they seem to want to do is destroy things – especially on Tyne-side, and we cannot let that happen, not this time.

Comments very welcome.

• Penalty-Spot

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Ah that was nice to hear after the disapointment of yesterday. It will come good.

• Leo*

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:16 PM

that was an enjoyable interview to read, i am looking forward to the youngster we will bring in the future.

• Gooderz

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Wise has a great deal of Premiership experience but also lower down in the leagues. He has also achieved a good amount of success as a manager, recruiting young players along the way. Combine that with the passion and spirit he shows for football and he should be able to pick out players who not only have the skills to be successful, but also have the passion to play for the shirt as well.

And lest we forget there’s still Vetere, who I assume will be more focused on foreign players given his experiences abroad and his fluency in both Spanish and Italian. And then there’s Jimenez to keep the fees from escalating.

It is truly a great blend of executives that will help the club’s recruitment drive and without having to tear Keegan away from the first team too often.

• dingo

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Wise words indeed

• domtoon

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

my mate reckons the role was intended for shearer, and wise was the second/third stop for the role in the new structure being put in place. his one problem though (my mate) is why Wise – what he ever done except made leeds partially successful for half a season? I think he has a good point there, and should wonder what you guys think??

• GM

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

isnt wise best mates with jiminez or the spurs bloke hence then link with MA? i read it somewhere last week

• Toon Al

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM

the three executives at the club look really compitent, hopefully it’l stand us in good stead for the future, sure it will

thing is about these journalists they say that keegans second spell is already a failure, then if he was sacked even in a few months or the end of the season, they’d go mental on us sackin him too quick its all lazy journalism

• Chris F

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

well, hopefully this will shut up all the tabloids who have spent the last week lying and shit stirring….

oh who am i kidding? they’ll just find something else to lie about.

• cooldj

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM

I hate long comments.

I’ve been mulling this over for a few days and keenly observing the nature of some of the comments posted at various times and by various people and i have come to the conclusion that long, stretched out opinions are particularly anti-social for a number of reasons. There is the obvious one that they take up more room than shorter ones-which only leads to me having to put in more effort to scroll down to the bottom of the page to post my comment. On top of this i find myself getting down for the simple reason that the typers of the long comments have nothing better to do than to type long comments. In additon to this i also find that reading the long comments requires a huge amount of focus and silence and often i feel dizzy after reading them. they are seldom funny, rarely accurate and hardly ever gramatically correct. It may just a way for people to vent their frustrations and air their views but more often than not they could have used half the words that they actually have if they’d only put more thought and plan into their message rather than just typing out the first thing that comes to their head. They then expect us to read all that and cypher through the needless stuff. But that’s not all, another reason why i hate them is because hardly ever lead to and intelligent debate because no-onelse reads them and so in fact they just sit there like an unwanted comment, rotting away and being ignored. If people only used shorter comments we could all get along much better. I’m sure you’d all agree if you’d actually read this!!

wise words from cooldj.
    done.

• Davis Gilroy

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM

“what’s he ever done except made leeds partially successful for half a season?”

I think getting Millwall to an FA Cup final was a pretty big achievement at the time.

• gallowgate charis

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:49 PM

cooldj – funny, observant and yes too drawn out because it’s football, opinions are passionate and so straight to the point. watch.
    AS LONG AS KEEGAN ISN’T UNSETTLED IM FINE WITH WISEY

• Graham

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Is that his toy remote control plane next to him?

• Graham

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

you must have time on your hands this afternoon colldj?

• craig chisholm

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:56 PM

i llike wisey, he was great at chelsea and he has a great gritty character. this season is a total wipe out and we all know that. my only goal for us now this year is to maintain prem status. its looking dodgy lads, midboro is a 6 pointer for sure. how can anyone be writting keegan off so soon, its mad, he has had three fooking games with two being at arse – so we were never going to win them anyway. he will be given the time though, as geordies we all know this and we are all happy for him to be given the time too. he bleeds black and white and thats enough for us, we are in this together and i think now is the time to stick together and show all the wankers in the tabloids and other detractors such as sir alex exactly what we are made off. next time man utd come to st james, i want him and his f,ing team jeered from the first minute to the last. jockroache!

• Chris

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Cooldj, that’s the second time you’ve posted that tosh. Head and Knob spring to mind.

• jeff

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM

I think the only thing that is getting to people is why is it dennis wise..But then who are the other two who have come in as well?No one is mentioning them.Im pleased wise has come out and put the record straight,If its all for making the club a better run club then Im all for it…Like I say just cos its dennis wise people cant understand it…If he stays in the background and we dont get to hear too much about him whats the harm?Its about time newcastle united was run properly one thing for certain it wasnt and still wouldnt have been under shephard would it…
    Let them get on with it and lets enjoy the ride

• Chris

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

At least the board are looking at the future of the club and not just now. It’s a long term plan, and it’ll be 2 or 3 years before we see any fruits. I’m a bit diappointed we didn’t sign anyone in the transfer market, but it’s better than panic buying.
    The future looks bright and as long as we don’t get sucked into a relegation battle I’ll be happy.

• Nick C

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I agree with your sentiment cooldj. However your moniker gets a bit on my tits, so I can only ever partially agree with you.
    You can’t call yourself “cool” – next it will be “wackydj” and then we will really have a problem!

• tiddleybonks

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:36 PM

the djs a cock

• Bill F

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Still not sure what DW is bringing to the table, I would have thought KK would have his own ideas as to who he needs and then discuss them with M&A. Also I thought Ventere was the footballer prospector. If DW is going to be youth coach then why not say this. It smacks a bit of, we have a lot of confidence in you Kev, but not quite enough to completely trust you.

• Keegan=God.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Ed, your last part was put really well there. Let’s ignore the press. 3 games he’s had one great peformance against Bolton. A cracking 1st half in the fa cup tie against Arsenal.. Let’s be positive.

• doc

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Make some noise on Sunday

Toon Toon

• cooldj

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:23 PM

yes i had too much time on my hands and i also agree with gallogatecharis.

Nick C sadly no change of name-it’s not the best choice but it’s certainly more exciting than yours!- well unless your name is jim or something!! it’s more likely that your name is nick cool though.

chris that was actually the first time i poseted it so that’s one nil to me so get bent.

as for tiddleybonks-funny, witty, original and highly intelliegent input there. for a four year old.

• Gin-toonic

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM

You are right; we cannot let hose Muppets destroy this club. Especially the Mail and Telegraph ! This is a great appointment !

• Lawman

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:10 AM

It was well known that during KK’s first reign as manager, he didn’t give much thot to the youth team and solely concentrated all his effort in the senior squad.
    Therefore, the role of DW’s appointment in nurturing young talent and getting them early to offset their potential costs is a welcome addition to the backroom staff. It will no doubt contribute to the future development and success of the club…………… but why the stupid title????? Executive Director (football)…….