Keegan – Emre Can Unlock Defenses For Us

Kevin Keegan talked today to the Newcastle Journal about our Turkish International Emre, and revealed he tried to sign him when he was at Manchester City.

kevin-keegan-123.jpg

Kevin Keegan
– big fan of Emre

Kevin talked today about Emre:

“He offers us another option that none of the other players can quite offer us,” “He’s different to anything else we’ve got and you need players like that around. I’ve always had them at my club and, if I haven’t had them, I’ve always gone and bought one or two.”

“You can go back to Scott Sellars or Peter Beardsley, or Eyal Berkovic at Manchester City.”“The fact we’ve already got a player like that here is a plus for me. I’ve always believed there is a place in a team, at least one, for a creative player. I’ve always managed to accommodate one, even though some people say you can’t.”

“With that type of player, you don’t get 10 out 10 in every thing you want. But you don’t get that from players who give you 100% energy in everything they do. Some managers have teams full of those, but I think there is a place in the team for a player like Emre. A player who can unlock a door when games are really tight. I think we’ve missed that.”

It must be great for Emre to now have Kevin as his manager. Certainly, he should not be short on confidence and will probably start tomorrow, although Kevin will have a number of options in central midfield to choose from. For us it would good to see how Faye and Emre play together tomorrow in the center of the park.

It was just unfortunate that Emre was sent off in front of a watching Kevin Keegan against Stoke City, as the news had just broken about Kevin coming back to manage the club. He’s missed out on the last 3 games, but he’s back and he’s obviously one of Kevin’s players now. Good. 😀

Comments always very welcome.

• figsdad

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:37 AM

As long he scores on the pitch and plays well i be happy…

• indian toon

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:42 AM

emre is a perfect kevin keegan type player.!! he is quick, flashy, passes well and goes at the opposition!!! , we should try very hard on tryin to keep him in the club for +3 yrs!!

• Greg B

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Im one of the ones who rates Emre, I remember not so long ago on here people were calling for Emre to be sold on – well its good that we now have a manager who will appreciate what a player like Emre will bring to the team.

• Bosck

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Greg B – I’ll admit i was one of the people questioning whether we should sell emre on.

This isnt because i dont rate him, in fact i think he has fantastic technical ability, but he must take this chance this time. We have had to many false dawns where we thought emre would fulfil his potential at the club at it has come to nothing. This has not been helped by some managers not picking him, but now it seems that emre is likely to get a run of games he must start to produce the goods consistently.

If he does that then i will be more than happy to have him at the club, as i have never doubted his ability, just his application.

• Tom Cairns

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Im really hoping he can find some consistency because he can be amazing for us. He couldnt have been any less of a sam allardyce player but looks like KK will give him a chance.

What would you say is your first choice midfield? Id forgotten how many options we have when everyone is available.

• Tom Cairns

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I think at the moment id go for:

Milner Barton Emre Duff

• Penalty-Spot

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Bosck: I agree. Both Emre and a good few other players (Owen, Vids, Barton et al) all have to start showing their worth. I think they wil too.

• dingo

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Emre is mint… show us yer turkish delight the morra!

• millepede

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM

barton hasnt shown me anything for me to belive he should be in the team, i wud much rather have faye in there as dm

• Alex

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:14 AM

emre under keegan will have the freedom to show his attacking flair and prove to everyone what a great player he can be.i hope against boro Barton plays centre midfield next to him, this will give us plenty of attacking options that we have been missing through the middle of the pitch.my team for the game would be
    Given
    Beye Taylor Cacapa Edgar
    Duff Barton Emre Nzogbia
    owen Carroll
    subs Harper Faye milner smith LuaLua

• Tom Cairns

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Faye has looked good but i guess at the moment id really like to see a more positive midfield, emre is great at passing but its not like he goes forward much. Plus its not like Barton can improve our opinion of him on the bench.

• Greg B

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:39 AM

@Bosck – totally agree with you, well put.

• Leo*

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:12 PM

if faye is fit i would defo play him and emre together in the middle of the park, otherwise i would play barton

as for beye if he is fighting fit i would replace carr with him.

and because carr has worked soo hard, if enrique is unfit i would play carr left back

• scott9

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:27 PM

i think everyone wants to see emre n barton in cm

• hanzemre_malaysia

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:59 PM

yeah Emre must make do his chance now til the end of the season with his assists to frontline leading to a lot of goals. He can do it with Barton/Faye in CM/DM.

• Hadrian

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:04 PM

another player who hasnt captured his old club form , had some great assists under his belt at inter .

• M. Stockley

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM

if emre can show a little more consistantcy, he will be amazing. everyone knows how good he is but we dont always see it.

• Gordon

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Yep, Emre and Barton for me too – think Ed hasn’t got his finger on the fans’ pulse here 😉

• Matthew Tom

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM

I’d definitely go for Barton and Emre in midfield, and I’d get Zog up to play left wing. On current form, I’d have Duff on the right rather than Milner, but it’s a tight call.

Faye for me is really a central defender. Hard to pick him in front of Taylor and Cacapa at the moment though, as I think Taylor is number one and Cacapa is only now starting to show what he can do, so he should be given a run.

Sack Butt, sack Smith. Get Carrick in.

• scott9

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM

i think we should sign scott brown in the summer nand a dmf someone like toulalon

• Dunc

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:05 PM

What’s the crack with Barton? If he is put in the team then how long will he stay in it due to upcoming court appearances and not being able to behave himself?
    I would have him in the team as I think the box to box play of Barton is better than that of Faye and Barton can also get stuck in tackling and breaking up play.
    I just can’t help thinking-
    How long before we have to call on another CM who has been sitting out whilst Barton plays? Maybe we should just give another CM the run of games ,knowing we can rely on them to be both professional and available.