This was a rather inept performance from Newcastle United, and even when we went a goal up after 60 minutes, we didn’t have the resilience to hold on for all 3 points.
At the end Middlesbrough deserved their draw – and probably should have taken all 3 points, with a late game surge, when they created several chances, and had what looked a reasonable goal disallowed.Â Â At this point in the game, Newcastle looked all at sea.
- Newcastle lacked penetration up front and looked as though they no bite at all in attack and seemed to be playing in slow motion.
- With these performances you have top start questioning why the players we have are under-performing so much. They are good players and get paid huge wages – but are not producing the goods. Questions have to be asked of the players
- Whenever Middlesbrough attacked the Newcastle defense looked anything but tight, and we are still weak in central defense with Cacapa today having some dodgy moments at the back. It may be he’s not good enough for this league, as we found out with Rozehnal.
- It was good to see Barton, Emre and N’Zogbia all starting because at least they can play a bit, and Emre’s skill made the goal for Michael Owen.
- We have to question why Alan Smith is playing. he sometimes seems to be a detriment to the team, because he keeps giving fouls away, and he didn’t win anything in the air at all. He did pick up his 9th yellow card of the season, so one more yellow and he’s suspended for two games.
- We may be in bigger trouble than we think, because our run-in for the next 13 league games is not easy, and we should be winning these games at home, if we are to avoid being dragged into a relegation scrap.
- We should probably see if some of our youngsters can stir things into action – we seem to be playing in a haze of mediocrity – we look a second rate team right now – but we cannot strengthen the team until the summer.
- Chris Mort looked worried today, and even under a bit of stress. At the end of this game we realized why – and he should be stressed out.
- We’d like to see both Beye and Faye back in the defense next week at Villa, and hopefully Enrique can also return. Our most attacking player was Charles N’Zogbia and it was one of his runs that led to Emre’s free kick for Owen’s goal. He’s wasted at left back.
- The reality from this game is we could well be dragged into a relegation tussle, having taken only 2 points form the last 24 at stake in the league. 🙁