Keegan Has Given Players a Lift – Milner

James Milner, who will pick up his 36th cap for the England Under-21 side tonight against Ireland, is very pleased that Keegan is now Newcastles’s manager, because he’ll get more attacking opportunities under Kevin.

james-milner-85858.jpg

James Milner – more attacking play under Keegan

James talked about Kevin Keegan today to the Newcastle Journal:

“I’ve certainly been very impressed with his outlook and we’re going to be a more attacking team now,” “For someone like me that’s great to hear because I’m a winger and I want to attack defenders.”

“Things haven’t quite gone for us so far, but I think you can see that the team is trying to play a more expansive game than we were. I’m all for that. I think we have had some positives to take out of every game since Kevin Keegan came in as manager, even the two 3-0 defeats at Arsenal.”

“ It’s about keeping going and things will turn round for us. We just need that little bit of luck to spark things off and get us moving in the right direction again. I’m certain that’s going to happen under the new regime.”

Milner also said it was hard for the players to adapt in mid season to another way of playing in one season.

“Even though things have not really been going for us in games in terms of decisions and the rub of the green, he is just one of those managers who is always capable of giving players a lift.”

“ I think confidence has been a problem because we’ve been on a bad run. It’s going to take him time, which is something we seem to have been saying all season.”

“ You can’t turn a club round quickly, especially when we’ve got a small squad. We’ve been playing one way under Sam, which we had to change to, and then another new manager has come in and we’ve had to change again. That’s not easy.”

“It’s not an excuse, it’s just reality.”

Milner looked full of running when he cam on as a substitute in the second half against Middlesbrough, and by our reckoning he’s now appeared for Newcastle United 132 times with 96 starts. James is a very mature young man and only just turned 22 years old last month.

He’s a great young boy to have at the club with a wonderful attitude, and we expect him to improve under Kevin Keegan. The bait for James is to hold down one of those winger spots, which are so important in the way Keegan has his teams play football.

If he doesn’t achieve that, it will not be for the want of trying, that’s for sure.

Comments very welcome.

• broon ale

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM

cant cross for toffee! apart from that left wing cross against Palermo for Luque. anyone know how luque is doing at Ajax? Last i heard he had a fall out with the boss and a fight with another player!

• hanzemre

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:27 AM

just cross the ball boy….& timely

• John

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I think Milner is a good player, but from what keegan is saying, he wants to break the top four we’ll have to get better players than milner in order to do that.

He’s good, but not great

• the artist formerly known as cooldj

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM

can’t question his determination but he hasn’t developed as much as i’d have hoped. Still can be a first team regualar for us over the coming years but must imporve a bit. still seems a bit slow to me.

• Leo*

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM

i like milners hard work and effort, i think once he has competition for his place then he will improve drastically

• SGToon

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Hey guys give him some slack……

Tell me how are you gonna progress when you have had 5 managers…..in your playing career.

That’s why our players are under performing….they have to keep changing their styles…..

Relax…..and the goods will deliver

• eX FILES UNITED

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM

we need to buy the whole Arsenal team…but with a few additions!!!

• Graeme

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I realise that a lot of players have the IQ to match their boot size, but just how hard is it to play footy???

• Chicken

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:46 AM

It annoys me when our so-called “fans” give Milner a hard time. Okay so he’s not Cristiano Ronaldo, but he gives 100% every time I see him play and you can tell he really wants to be the best he can be. He’s had a hell of a work load the last couple of seasons – especially for someone so young. If he was at Man U I’d bet Fergie would have him wrapped up in cotton wool. We can’t afford such luxuries at the Toon, so do him and the rest of the proper fans a favour, and give the constant criticism a rest for a while.

• Bill F

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Broon Ale Last game I saw Luque in, he looked much the same as he was at the Toon. Always looking as if he is just about to do something but never quite achieving it. I don’t think anyone needs to be sorry he gone.

• arctoa

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Milner needs some proper competition for the right-wing place to spur him on some more. It seems to me that since Solano has departed his crossing and general play has gone down the drain a bit; the position is pretty-much his right now so there’s no real pressing motivation to improve his game. We need to bring an experienced right-sided player in, someone who can pick a cross from anywhere and someone who Milner can learn from.