Owen To Continue Working Hard For Newcastle

Michael Owen wants to concentrate on working hard on the field for Newcastle United, and seems more concerned about that, than anything else.

michael-owen-6464.jpg

Michael Owen – wants to play hard for the Newcastle team

Michael has had another injury hit season, but he’s still managed 6 goals for Newcastle and 2 for England this season, and there’s a good likelihood he’ll start to score more goals for Newcastle though the end of the season. New manager Kevin Keagan is determined for his Newcastle side to supply Owen with more chances, that he usually puts away.

Indeed on Sunday he should have had two goals, with one good goal he scored after 5 minutes, being disallowed for no apparent good reason.

Michael talked to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today from the England training camp. Where they are preparing for tomorrow night’s game against Switzerland:

“I’ve been down this road many times in my career.” “But one thing I will always do is work hard for the team.”

“I have done that over the last three games even though I haven’t had any chances of notes.”

“I had a chance or two against Boro and stuck one away and it was only three games ago since my last goal.”

“I was more frustrated with the end result.”

Michael seems to have come out of his shell a little since Kevin arrived. maybe that’s because he’s now captain of the team, but it seems to have done him a lot of good.

We’re really looking forward to seeing Michael finally start scoring goals on a regular basis for the Magpies.

• Bill F

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:48 PM

When he is fit and playing he does work his socks off, all we want now is for him to come out of the England game uninjured, and then bang some more in for us this weekend.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Whats with all these Owen articles, is it because he finally scored a goal?!?

We can beat Villa and im confident we wil get at least a point, we wont go down the points total will be much lower this year.

• Chicken

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Tom_Toon – I know you like suggesting lots of obscure names for our problem defensive midfield position, but after watching a bit of the ACN I suggest that we just go balls out and splash some serious cash on Yaya Toure – IMO he is superb! What you reckon?

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM

I say the obscure ames because they are realisitic for us atm and you do know Yaya Toure is a regular for Barcelona?!?!

Hes a great player but imo Toulalan is a better player!

• briss

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Villa are going through a drought for results ight now so it is a good time for us to play them and owen to keep his goals flowing. I hope Barry is still injured for the game

• obafemimartins

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM

barry is in the england squad as is young and carson. i hope for our sake barry and young get injured and dont forget abognlahor is already injured

• Chicken

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM

TT – aye I know Yaya has played 10 games or so for Barca BUT… if MA is serious then IMO this is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to sign.

I think Barca paid about £7m for him – maybe we could tempt them with £10m?

• Mighty Mouse

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

missed the boat on Yaya I’m afraid. Hopefully we’ve had a team of scouts at the ACN finding the next Yaya, E’to etc

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:04 PM

In a word no, hes a regular he plays 90 mins every game the only reaso he hasnt play more is because of the ACN and he had a 4 week injury.

More like 20mil! He wouldnt come to us anyway.

Id like a Messi type figure at our club, Manco or Hyka will do me.

• Chicken

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:08 PM

What about Boom-Chick-a-wa-waa? 🙁

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Ye hes a good player and his best position is attacking midfielder but his passing is not up to much althought his skills are good. Dont really need someone like Chikhaoui atm hes more of a luxury than a necessity, we need a good passer.

• Len

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Continue, Im still waiting for him to start.

• Leo*

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

i think the fans are beggining to come around to little micky. it took a while, hopefully he will repay the faith with no injuries (only joking) and some goals

• Andreas

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I normally don’t suggest rarely known players, especially not unknown Swedes. However, I have to make an exception this time and bring Rasmus Lindgren to this board. He plays DM and the perk is that he’s a really good passer with vision and skill.

He went to Ajax a few years back (as a hot prospect) and was later sold to Groningen – BUT – with a pre-set buy back clause. This year he has been skipper of Groningen and played very well. Ajax executed the clause and he played DM in the 3-0 win over Feyernood where he set up a goal (through ball) and was overall really good.

He was also included in the full Swenden squad but had to withdraw due to an slight tigh injury.

As said, a intelligent DM player with vision and skill seem to fit our needs perfectly.

Side note: slim chance of him leaving Ajax for us though

• Rich

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Tom_Toon how many points u think we need to stay up? i said yesterday i think 32 points will be the team at 3rd bottom of the league!

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Andreas i also though of him, Toivonen and Wernbloom cant play that deep aswell can they?

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM

bout 36/38 this year, probably not the 40 because the top teams will have many more.

• RAHUL

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM

why dont we get simon rolfes from leverkusen suprb player tackling passing and can even score goals leverkusen are a selling club i reckon 6mill pounds will get him go for him strong in the air as well

• Andreas

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Nay, Toivonen is more suited in the CM/AM position and personally I think he was pale last year (well, Malmö as a team was really crap tbh) and he must improve quite a bit this season. He got potential though.

Wernbloom did play very well as a “power forward” in the winning Gothenburg side (didn’t get much playing time before Marcus Berg was sold though), but I don’t rate him in the same bracket as Lindgren – atleast not yet.

At the moment the only Swedes good enough for NUFC is in my opinion Lindgren and Elmander (note: Ibrahimovic is disgarded as not viable). Some ppl like Källström, but personally I think he’s to slow for EPL – he’s style is suited for France/Spain/Italy. There is also one player that never ever got a fair chance in England, and that is Willhelmsson, but I think he’s a bit to weak for EPL really so I didn’t put him on the list either (although I do think he’s a good rwinger).

Lindgren would be awesome since DM (with vision and skill) is arguably our weakest position – but not many sane ppl would swap Ajax for NUFC atm (although money do talk).

• Andreas

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM

By the way (and totally off topic), I really do think Alves will find it hard to “cut the mustard” in EPL. I might ofc be wrong but I do think Boro have payed a lot over the odds for an okay striker (however Brazilian he may be).

• Tom_Toon

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Rahul, Rolfes defintely tickles my fancy because Toulalan would be hard to lure, Inter wanted him but he turned them down!

• Stami

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM

i cant wait for Owen to have another one of those games where he is an absolute nightmare for the opposition! bang in 2 goals, involved in the 3rd with the commentators singing his praises!!! C-mon Owen you lil beaut!!! please let it be this wkd against Villa…hahaha

• RAHUL

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:06 PM

tom_toon i like yelen of rostock great talent turkey under21 international opened the bayern defence quite a no of times no mean feat

• JJ

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Best DM imo is Gareth Barry. But would he ever come here? Doubt it.
    I still say Claude Makele has one or two good years left and he knows how to dictate play.
    Geremi will fill in nicely till the summer though, he works hard and can pass unlike Smith and Butt.

• hanzemre

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM

hopefully MO stay injured-free now & play along Martins as i know they can bangs in more goals.

• Pwnzersaurus

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM

i hope he scores to boost his confidence