Owen To Be England’s First Casualty Under Capello?

Michael Owen fears that he may be dropped from the England team for Fabio Capello’s first game in charge at Wembley tonight, against Switzerland.

fabio-capello-231.jpg

Fabio Capello – coach doesn’t think Owen is good team player

It turns out that Owen has not been dropped by England, since his present Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan dropped him to the bench against France, on September 2, 2000.

Michael was fearing the worst yesterday, because in training he was never tried out in any of the striker combinations, as Capello looked at several possible formations. It also looks like the Italian manager will play in a 4-4-1-1 formation, which doesn’t suit Michael’s style of play.

David Bentley and Ashley Young are expected to make their first starts for England, and Joe Cole is also being considered for a starting role, playing just behind Wayne Rooney.

michael-owencelebrate_569809.jpg

Michael Owen – probably will be dropped tonight by England

It is believed that Capello doesn’t think the Newcastle striker is a good team player, and Capello seems determined to build up a good team spirit and team work in the England squad. That’s interesting, because it was only yesterday that Owen told a local Newcastle paper, that he was more worried about working hard for the Newcastle side, than just scoring goals.

Maybe the word had already been passed to Owen.

Reports suggest Capello’s first choice of strikers was to be Gabriel Agbonlahor and Rooney, but that couldn’t happen when Gabriel injured a hamstring last Saturday, playing for Aston Villa.

As is his custom when announcing teams. Capello will let England’s players know what the team is, just before they get onto the bus around 5 PM.

Fabio Capello said yesterday:

“To begin with, I’m not a Messiah. I’m just someone who tries to achieve results through hard work.”

“I will try to pass on that winning mentality to the players and to be confident, especially when we play at home. We need to play bravely.”

“When we are away, we need to be more confident in our strengths and braver in the way we play. I’ve always played 4-4-2, but these are not the most important aspects.”

“In the Premier League matches I have seen recently, only two or three teams play 4-4-2. Others play with one man up front but, in order to be clear, I have ideas about how my team will play.”

Good words from the new England coach – and make no mistake about Fabio, he’s a world class coach. Of course, whether he can be successful with England, is another matter, but we certainly hope so.

• Ausgeordie

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM

At least no injuries will occur and no I dont give a shit about being first

• ObaFan2

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Good for you Ausgeordie 🙂

Maybe Owen is gonna have to start performing @ club level and work for his place in the England team rather than living off his reputation.

Good for Capello.

• Tippo

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:40 AM

That will not surprising at all for a player who hasn’t been scoring until last weekend. Better to play form players rather reputation players, I think.

• GP

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Why do you lot even care about England? Only middle-class bores who know nothing about football and ignorant bigots support England tbh.

• hanzemre

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:38 AM

good for us NUFC at least he won’t come back hurt himself for another 2/3 month in treatment room. Yea he’d now be eager to play & score more for us.

• Toon_Under

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:58 AM

Alternatively he’ll now be looking for a move to a club that gives him more opportunities to score so as to improve his chances of getting back into the starting side.

As has been pointed out though, at least this might keep him fit and get some more fire in the belly..

• nufctj

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:42 AM

maybe I was wrong about cappello, blackceaser!

this proves he is not afraid to shake things up!

but an owen out of the england side can only be good for nufc, and that is my main concern.

• Stami

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM

id much rather have Owen available to play for us than see him banging in goals for England… call me a selfish NUFC fan, and you wouldnt be far off!!! UP THE TOON!!!!!!!!!!

• ELFER

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:51 AM

I’m not really impressed by the appointment of fabio. He never proved himself on a country based job, so why should he just turn arround things? Cannot see that, sorry.

He’s no messiah and the english side has so many top players, but always underachieved…seems that wembley-grudge will last for always…doesn’t matter if capello or another coach is in charge.

To not start OWEN is a big mistake!! But for us it’s very good 😉 I like that slogan “black and white army” and we should start with our “black and white” strikers MARTINS and OWEN up in front to bomb the hell out of Villa on staurday! yeah

• GM

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:56 AM

hope he stays on the bench all night so he is fresh for villa on saturday hope rooney does a hamy to keep him out of the manure team when they play us in 2 weeks.

I dont give a flying f**c about the national team, there is only on nation, the geordie nation!

• Chicken

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Can’t say I’m too upset – it is just a friendly after all.

I’m sure Owen will be devastated though – but hopefully that will give him the extra impetus to come back to the Toon, train even harder and start banging them in again like we all know he can.

• Johann

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Owen is not close to be even englands best striker, he probably just barely makes the squad

• the artist formerly known as cooldj

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:22 AM

england need owen-manages have tried and failed to play without him.he’s a born scorer but if it means he’s fresher for villa on saturday then all the better.

• big pea ov the weab

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:31 AM

its the kick up the arse he needs mike owen thinks he has a automatic place in any squad well done mr cappello u tell him maybe now he will start doin the bizz for us so he can get his place back in the england team

• thelongshanks

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM

I heard oba came back from ACN injured,ankle injury.

• Bill F

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I find it surprising that Capello doesn’t rate Owen as a team player. I wonder who he has been watching. Any games I have seen him in he has worked bloo*y hard for the team be it England or ourselves.

• Leo*

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:28 AM

hopefully this will be the kick up owens backside that he needed to make him play better for his club, although i dont think he is doing it on purpose. that would be very sad. i just think he needs incentives. not money though… he has enough of that

• Johann

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Bill it isn´t about working hard. It´s about giving something to the team, regardless if you work hard or not

• Bill F

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Johann I knew some one would pick me up on that. I agree with what you say but regardless of end product he is (as with Smith) a team player

• Steeley

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:54 PM

I think this is the final realisation that Michael Owen quite simply isnt as good as what he once was – and will never be as good again.

I mentioned this point last week in one thread – throughout all of our games which are televised all you hear are the commentators saying that Michael Owen still isnt back to his bets, and that he’s a bit rusty….depsite the fact that he’s probably had his biggest injury-free spell since he arrived at NUFC!
    The fact is, everyone in England likes to cling to the hope that MO will improve with time, and that their last hope of us having 2 great strikers (along with Wayne Rooney) hangs on the fact that Owen “could be back at his best”.
    Well I think if Owen gets dropped then he will have to join the penny – because this will be the only time when people openly acknowledge that Michael Owen isnt actually that good any more!
    I hate the fact that we’ve got a dwindling has-been in our ranks because he’s neither good enough to keep, nor good enough to sell. And with only 12 months left on his contract then we may lose a lot of money on him!!!!