Emre Can Assist Michael To Score Goals

Michael Owen is not playing particularly well for Newcastle United and certainly hasn’t scored many goals for us.

michael-owen-2734.jpg

Michael Owen – can he get on goals track again?

And it looks like the new England manager Capello will only play players who are performing well for their clubs. Not a bad philosophy, since for England we have tended to play the same “stars” regardless of how they are playing for their clubs.

But Kevin Keegan has vowed to help Michael get back on the goals trail and today his team mate and creative midfielder Emre, has also talked about helping Michael.

He told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“Michael Owen is a big player for us, one of the best strikers in Europe, but he has struggled to score goals in recent weeks because the service has not been there for him,”

“We know he will score goals if we give him the chances, but it was tough against Arsenal to create anything. When we create chances he scores them and he is always someone you know will get on the end of things if you can make a good delivery.”

“I’ve always tried to create chances. It is one of the things I can hopefully bring to the side, that is what the manager has told me. I’ve not started many games this season, but I’ve already got seven assists and I think Michael has been on the end of a lot of those. I hope I can help him find his best form because we need his goals.”

Emre won his 52nd cap for Turkey in their goalless friendly draw with Sweden in Istanbul last night – has freely admitted the arrival of Keegan as manager has not only pleased him but he is thinking of extending his contract at Newcastle, so he can stay here through the rest of his career. That’s always nice to hear from our players.

emre-555.jpg

Emre – very happy to stay at Newcastle

Emre says he’s never been unhappy in England but just wants to play more. We’re sure he’ll get more games under Kevin, because his skill can turn games, as he has proved this season, especially against Everton when he scored one and made one for Michael Owen.
Emre continued:

“I’ve always been happy living in England, I just wanted to play more under Sam Allardyce. The next three months are very important because I want to prove that I should still be here next season and that the new manager can rely on me.”

“I feel as though I’m an ambassador for my country here and I have been made to feel very welcome. I have a friend who runs a very good Turkish restaurant in Newcastle where I go often, but I also have a lot of friends in the Turkish community across the region.”

“It has helped me settle well and I don’t want to leave, I’ve never said anything about wanting to leave.”

Emre should get a chance to start against Aston Villa on Saturday, and now we know Owen is fit to go, since he didn’t play last night. Maybe we can see Emre create chances for Owen on Saturday. What is getting very clear is that we must start picking up some points in the league very soon. We’ve only taken 3 points from the last 24 available since mid-December, and that’s not good enough at all.

• AdamCF

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Emre should start every game.. he does need to continue improving on his fitness though.

• wolfhound

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:33 AM

assists for our asset i think hes past it

• Eric

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Certainly Emre needs to start every game. He has a creative spark that needs regular outings.
    And what is more he WANTS to play for the toon. He WANTS to stay with Newcastle. Give
    him a pat on the back!

• Rich

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Really hope Emre starts against Villa, get him a bit fitter give him a run to the end of the season and well see what hes really capable of! Could save us millions in the Summer if we get him playing consistently like he can.

• Steve_48

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Agree we need the creative element and less of the bulldozer mentality in midfield so Emre should start but he needs another player alongside him to assist.

Personally I’m pleased Owen sat out last night – perhaps he’ll consider that he doesn’t have any divine right to play in a starting 11, humble pie doesn’t taste very nice. I know he’s come out in the press recently stating Club then Country, but let’s face it we all know his priority and good on Capello for not yielding to pressure.

The right to play must be earned which comes from delivering good, solid and consistent performances at CLUB level; what I’m not saying is that he’s past it so please don’t start coming back at me – I acknowledge that he WAS once world class, and given the right level of service from exciting wing play he can only reach those heights again as a player, but we need some consistency, some solid and profitable performances from Owen

Anyone else?

• Dan

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Shearer had been given stick in the past… the media crits slated him for being past it and lost his pace, and he goes on to have a goal drought… but the next season he changed the way he plays and becomes the best target man/ back behind goalscorer in the premiership…

Owen should learn from him… form is temperory but class is permanent… show the rest what u can do.

• Kash2

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I would rather Owen played and scored a few last night. Only because it keeps him in the shop window. As much as a good goal scorer he is, he just isn’t dynamic enough for fluid attacking football. Thats my opinion.

As for Emre, consistency has always been a problem, whether its injuries, suspensions or being left out, something always gets in the way of regular form. He has the ability, he just needs to make the midfield his playground.

• Kash2

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Looks like N’Zogbia is being a BRAT again! I can’t be bothered with the miserable git anymore. Let him leave for £12m and sign someone with alot more pace, skill and a better final ball!!!

Someone mentioned Capel yesterday???

• Bill F

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Swap Zog for Berbatov, easy answer suits everybody.

I sincerely hope that Emre wants MO to score in fact I hope everyone in the team wants to help everybody to score. Is that an obvious thing to say. Or am I missing something.

• hanzemre

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Being constant regular sure he can be our maestro in our attacking but really needs somebody besides him to cover in front of back 4, i’d prefer Faye/Barton for this.

• JJ

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Owen has always played well in a long ball game with a big striker doing all the work for him.
    He played well with Heskey at Liverpool and with Shearer for a while here but I would much rather have Martins in my starting line up.
    Owen will score goals just like Martins but it is what Owen adds to the team when he is not scoring that concerns me.
    Someone like Zola or Bergkamp never had pace or power but they could split a defense in half and that is what Owen needs to add to his game.
    He needs to work on his work rate and passing and he needs to vary his runs to occasionally going down the flanks (ala Bellemy to assist in creating space for his strike partner).
    Viduka has skill in abundance but has no determination and no pace. So he isnt my favorite either.
    I would get rid of both Owen and Viduka in the Summer and get in someone like Gudjohnsen and Tom Toons Morrocan boy, or even try get Man U’s Manucho on loan. Hes looked quality in the ANC. or I know it sounds crazy, after what he did, but Bellamy never ever slated the fans.
    At the moment he is just an out and out poacher.
    Agree that Emre needs to start more games with either Barton or Geremi in midfield.
    Who here would enjoy seeing martins and bellemy up front in a kind of Teves / Rooney partnership. Bellemy dropping slightly deep and making runs wide. With Martins up the middle?
    Just wondering.
    Any other potential realistic strikers we could partner with Martins????

• Rem

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Owen is playing well!!! you can see the runs he makes the space he gets into. and he works f**ing hard. If you play the game you can see how good he is.
    All he needs is decent deliveries, that hopefully emre can provide.
    the rest of the team just keep playing high balls from our own half and wasting our possesion

• Graeme

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM

If Emre is our creative midfield force, god help us. He simply doesnt deliver his potential often enough in a single game, let alone over a series of games. He has probably had 3 or 4 memorable performances in the time he’s been here.

There are much better, much younger players out there, with more talent than Emre can dream about. I cant see him being at the toon in 18 months; he’s just not good enough, often enough, to justify keeping him.

• iain

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM

we could play emre “in the hole” in our remaining away games imo.

he was pretty effective there under roeder in that position.

it might help us get a few more points away from home. and were going to need every point we can get.

• Graham

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I dont think that Owen has been playing poorly recently – its the service he has been receiving which has been terrible.

He has shown that when he gets a chance – more often than not he takes it – or at least hits the target.

He needs far better service and Emre is one of the players capable of providing that. As is Zog as long as he’s not in the huff.

• Graham

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Graeme – Emre hasn’t had a decent run in the team since he came here.

Allardyce didnt want to play him – mainly because the ball was always 20ft above him going from defence to strikers and back again.

If we play more football on the deck (which we are) Emre will come into his own. The niggling little injuries will miraculously disapear as well me thinks if he is happy doing what he is doing

• Kash2

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I think we’ll see a whole new team next season. I really hope David Bentley is one of the players we’ll sign, because he’s starting to show so much ability!

Then if we send Charles packing to Spurs, an extremely quick left winger with a deadly final ball would be class too.

As for the midfield, we certainly need 2 top CM’s. I would love Carrick in our colours, I think he has tremendous ability and then another playmaking midfield player in the mould of Cesc, Anderson, Scholes etc etc would be amazing too.

As for Up Top, Martins deserves to have a team based around him. MO, Shola and Vid’s to be shipped off too with hopefully 2 new strikers coming in and some of the youngsters given a chance to impress!

It’s hard to believe, but our team is just not good enough. Individually, some of the players, a long time ago, we’re world class. Nowadays they’re just not good enough!

• big pea ov the weab

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:37 AM

owen bein droped from england is the kick up the arse he might need to start nocking them in for us he clearly wants to play for england more than he doz for the toon so last nights drop might just b wot the over payed little shit needs i have said it before and il say it again get rid ov him in summer n offer some world class player his wages they will jump at the chance

• drh

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:53 AM

the season before emre signed for us he had an amazing run in italy, marshalled mid field and was central to everything good that happened. Since he has been here he’s been injured, played on the right, left, holding midfield and on the odd occassion in his best position as the most forward of our central mid pairing. I for one hope he gets the chance he deserves (I think he will), to show what he can do, ie link the team from front to back, deliver quality balls from dead ball situations etc. Since his return the delievry from corners and set pieces has been far better and has allowed some of the bigger lads to start to attack in the air. I know a good friend of his up here and know for fact he loves the city, the club and wants to do nothing more than play football and win! And that is what I belive he is, a winner, channel his slightly over aggresive side (Stoke game!) and I really do think Newcastle will have a central midfielder to build around, not ship out! Too many people on here think clear outs and new faces make a winning team, it never worked under Fat Fred so why should it now. Yes, we need new players but a core of existing players to bed new ones in around is essential and I think this is what KK will have the chance to look at for the rest of the season. Rant over!!!

• drh

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:57 AM

can the picture of roz at the header of the site be changed to Emre? He wants to be here and doesn’t use the media to slag the club off due to personal short comings!

• iain

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:57 AM

emre reckons in the journal today he has 7 assists this season.

hes played in how many games this season ???

fact is without his setpieces we would be facing a tough relegation battle. when you consider some of the teams hes helped us get points against.

• Andreas

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Just want to add that Emre was the best Turkish player yesterday (and aye, I watched the game).

I hope he can step up another notch since we indeed are in dire need of someone capable of making ‘killer passes’.

• Stami

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Anyone see Bentley play last night. what a player! he mad so much happen. pin-point passing and crossing…Milner, are you taking notes my son???

• Leo*

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM

emre in that picture looks like a big baby, so happy haha… gotta love him like.

if his service is as good as it was for the boro game, with more slack defences we should i say SHOULD tear them into pieces but its a big maybe

• Swede1891

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Agree with you Andreas…(swedish i suppose?)..allthough i´d say he wasnt just the best turkish player..but rather the best player of the match! Wish his team mates would pass him the ball as much in Newcastle..as they do in the turkish natinal side.. For saturday::
    Given
    Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique
    Milner Barton Emre Duff
    Martins Owen

• Nobby's dad

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Never mind all the defenders of Emre coming on here, let your man do the talking on the pitch (and I know he WON’T). He’s got 4 months lets see him control some games for God sake !

• CJ

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Nobby’s Dad- I agree load’s of people i talk too and people on this blog saying Emre will do this and that what people forget is he’s been hear 3-4 year’s and done nothing.

• GP

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:02 AM

If you don’t believe Emre can do it you obviously have a very basic understanding of football. Might I suggest you take a trip down the road to watch those inbred dullards rather than infect this club with yet more negativity. I’m sure Whitehead and Leadbitter will tear defences open with their amazing playmaking skills.

• Nobby's dad

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM

GP how do we have a ‘very basic understanding of football’. The facts on Emre are to me quite plain.

I’m a season ticket holder and go to 2 – 3 away games. I’d say I’ve seen a good proportion of Emres games – I’ve NEVER seen him control a game / stamp his authority on it. To me in his career at SJP he’s been a peripheral figure. He’s never going to dominate a game and drive play like say Gerrard does. He also doesn’t have the range of passes that a player like Nobby had. Watching him on Sunday it was noticable how one footed he is.

Lets judge at the end of the season – KK looks like he’ll give him his chance. If he does it I’m wrong – if he doesn’t – your wrong!

• Turkish Magpie

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

goes on about all this, so why we sell him?