The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Last Chance Saloon For Ameobi at Newcastle

1:15 pm, Friday, February 8th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Shola had a hip injury last season, but he played through the pain until he was dispatched to the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Colorado, in October 2006, where Alan Shearer and Michael Owen had also been for their injuries.

shola-ameobi-98.jpg

Shola Ameobi – last chance saloon before the end of this season

The operation went extremely well and Shola is now cured of that chronic hip problem he had for a couple of seasons, yet this season he has not performed well at all – not even as good as when he had the injury and played through the pain. And we don’t know exactly what’s wrong.

Ameobi’s lack of playing time this season, under both Big Sam and Kevin, have frustrated Shola, but when he has played he’s been low profile at best, and it’s getting clear the next few months will be important, if the Nigerian born striker wants to stay at the Tyne-side club.

Kevin talked about Ameobi:

“I’ve already sat with Shola and told him what I think.” “There’s a danger with somebody like Shola Ameobi that when you sit in a room with him, you think he’s just a young lad.”

“But he’s 26 now, so he’s either got to make the breakthrough quite quickly, or look at somewhere else where he can do it.”

“My intention is to work with him and help him, and because he’s a forward, it’s right in my area of expertise. That’s where I played, and I know what it’s like and how tough it is.”

“I don’t know what it’s like to be 6ft 3in, that’s for sure, but there’s a better player in Shola than we’ve seen at the moment.”

Ameobi has made just one start under Keegan in the 0-0 draw against Bolton Wanderers at St James’s Park almost three weeks ago. And even before Keegan came Shola didn’t play much at all for Big Sam, and wehn he did play he had an awful game, in our 1-0 defeat at Derby County at Pride Park in September.

Keegan continued:

“The big test will be when Shola gets his chance, and he’ll get his chance between now and the end of the season.” “What I see, I like, and there’s a lot to work on.”

“Although he’s 26, he’s younger than that in terms of experience. There are a lot of challenges here now, and Shola is one that I relish.”

We really don’t think Shola will be at Newcastle in August, because he just hasn’t come through at all this season. The only way he can still be at the club next season, is if he gets a game, and not only plays well but starts to score a significant number of goals for us through the end of the season.  Of course, with Kevin there’s always a chance he can get the very best out of Shola,  but in short, we just don’t think he’s good enough.

What do you think?

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi · Transfer News and Rumours

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 broon ale // Feb 8, 2008 at 1:26 PM

time to move on shola! Get on the blower to Roeder!

• 2 Bill F // Feb 8, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Although I don’t think it is going to happen I would love to see Shola sudden blossom into a really good player and start banging in goals. Probably more chance of seeing the Loch Ness monster swimming up the Tyne though, still miracles do happen.

• 3 Marty // Feb 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM

broon ale,thankfully you wrote something constructive on the first comment not like the “ha ha first comment” stuff we have had the last while.
    i agree its time for him to move on,just not in the same league really!!

• 4 ObaFan2 // Feb 8, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Not just Shola @ last chance saloon, Smith, Butt, Barton, maybe more.

I like Shola but he isn’t proving a good forward for us and maybe if he drops a league he may find it’s much better for him.

Carr’s played well recently and maybe no. 2 to Beye might be good for him.

• 5 Eric // Feb 8, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I am disappointed with Shola’s performance this season so far. Cannot see why he has dipped in form so much. I know his legs are so long he has to pass the ball to himself sometimes. I thought he would mature into a good striker. Hope he gets going on all engines so he can get Viduka and Smith out of the side. He’s been in Toon since he was three surely he can raise some passion? Do not want to see him leave at all. Perhaps KK can get him back on song.

• 6 the artist formerly known as cooldj // Feb 8, 2008 at 1:46 PM

bill- left you my explan on the other wall.

as for this one. Ameobi out. Has does he always survive each manager??? One of footballs biggest mysteries!

• 7 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:20 PM

His time has come. If he doesn’t score loads of goals or great goals for us until end of season he should be sold. He has unlimited chances with every manager and is always disappointing. Get rid of him and at least it’s one less wage to pay.

• 8 Leo* // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:27 PM

like bill i would love to see shola blossom into a great striker, but i dont see it happening shamefully

• 9 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Me too but it will never happen so we should sell him to Roeder’s Norwich for a sizable fee.

• 10 Cyprus Mag // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM

The club have failed Shola. There is no doubt he had potential, he scored a load of goals for Roeder in his first season but has gone backwards since. Much as I like him I agree it’s best for him now to move on, but lets be clear he could have saved us a fortune as a good squad striker and the coaches haven’t been good enough to get the best out of him. In my opinion this is the root cause of our problems, we don’t have and haven’t had for years, good enough coaching staff. KK would do well to be ruthless with them and bring in some top class professionals.

• 11 JP from The Rock of Gibraltar // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Cyrus Mag- I agree totally, our coaches are average to say the least. How many players with potential have failed to make the grade? Ameobi, Chopra, Huntington to name a few. KK really needs to have a close look at that department and bring in Alan Shearer or a similar player to teach the youngsters how it’s done. That must be the root of the problem as no-one seems to improve at Newcastle except Taylor and N’Zogbia.

• 12 milner fan // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I think he played well under Roeder with his injury, n i think thats why he is here now. if he cant prove hes worth before the end of the season then he must go. Just think what strikers we could have on the wage bill, instead of shola viduka n smith. I think those 3 are good for championship. I here Norwich calling lol. Official newcastle dumping ground.

• 13 Luke // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I just noticed on the under 18′s squadlist there’s a Samuel Ameobi. Any one know ‘out about him?

• 14 Bill F // Feb 8, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Thanks Artist Cooldj, I read it, suppose it will remain as yet another of these great mysteries of the Universe. :)

• 15 Graeme // Feb 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I’m not sure Keegan is the man to help Shola become a great (good!!) striker. He’s a great motivator, but doesnt have a great record of improving a players ability. Turning average players into good ones; good ones into great ones.

I would just love it, (lol) if Shola turned the corner and started banging in 12 – 15 goals every season, it would save us a fortune. I just think his chance may have come and gone!!

• 16 Daniel Petersen // Feb 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I hope Shola improves. Though it is hard to do so if you never get a start. I will say he looked way more dangerous than Smith when he was subbed in last weekend. Iknow, that’s not saying much.

• 17 Eric // Feb 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Isn’t Samuel Ameobi the younger brother of Shola? He’s got a sister too. I think she went to Sunderland University. Surely that means he needs some encouragement?

• 18 George // Feb 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM

How many chances does Shola want. Over the years he has kept saying ” give me a run in the side and i will get the goals”. He has had the chances many times, but unfortunately for Shola, he has a bad habit of missing the preverbial barn door. KK is correct, if he does not shape up quick he will have to move on.

• 19 malaysian toon // Feb 8, 2008 at 5:04 PM

although i dont rate him. would be glad if he takes his chances and turns into a goal scoring machine

• 20 Gordon d // Feb 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I’d rather see Midd the Yidd play than Ameobi.(maybe thats taking it too far)

• 21 The Toon Doctor // Feb 8, 2008 at 6:57 PM

I’ve been saying for years that Ameobi is not good enough and should be peddled. I have generally been shot down for having a go at him, but thankfully most people are seeing now that he is not good enough for the toon. I will now turn my attentions to Smith, who also does not justify a black and white shirt. Can’t people see that he flatters to deceive? If anyone wants to buy Ameobi they can have Smith for free also (and vice-versa). Please support Keegan and the toon and ignore the rubbish in the media – since 1979 the two best periods I have watched have been under Keegan (player then manager), but Bobby did a good bloody job also!

• 22 hanzemre // Feb 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Yeah The doc is right about our patient Ameobi if he is still no good a striker by the end of this season, then call Roeder to pick him up. Smith too at any sizeable price.

• 23 SAM // Feb 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM

It annoys me when people keep talking about getting rid of Shola. From my perspective: (1) his salary will be nowwhere near the 40k plus of the Butts, Smiths, Viduka never mind the 100k of Owen (2) Shola has never been in our first eleven – his role is to be the third or fourth choice striker (3) the results of the last few seasons have not been due to the performance of our squad striker – it has been due to highly paid managers and first team players not performing (4) of all the problems that newcastle have the issue regarding the strength of our third/fourth choice striker is no where near the top.
    Some folks seem to think we should sell Shola and buy a top drawer striker. Well is this new top striker going to play behind Owen, Martins, Viduka and Smith!! Not a chance – if we buy a top striker then we need to at least sell one of the existing strikers.
    Shola has scored a few goals, and he also won quite a few panalties which I always remember Shearer was happy to knock in. He is low paid (relatively) and will play when injured to help the team out.

previous post: Keegan Has Selection Choices For Tomorrow