Welcome to Newcastle – Tamas Kadar

The 17 year-old Hungarian is a center back, who can also play at left back but prefers central defense, and stands 6’2” tall and probably still growing.

tamas-kadar-1.gif

Tamas Kadar – after he signed last month

When he was scouted by both Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers, he was already a first team regular at Hungarian club Zalaegerszeg, and scouts from both Premiership clubs had been impressed by his performances for the Hungarian club.

Since both Newcastle and Bolton were initially interested, we suspect Sam Allardyce probably first lined him up while at Bolton.

Kadar’s club Zalaegerszeg were not too keen on letting him go, after he made his debut for their first team in 2006 at the age of 16, and then impressed when he spent some time at Newcastle (and also some time at Bolton). He played impressively in a specially arranged friendly for a Newcastle side against Hartlepool in December.

This is what Tamas said following his trials in December before he actually signed for Newcastle United:

“I really enjoyed being in England,” “In Bolton they would count me as a left-sided defender and in Newcastle I would play in the center of the defense. I admit this is my favorite place on the pitch.”

“I know nothing about the financial details, but I did my very best and I know they both liked my performances.”

“I was told I would have a good chance to sign in England and my move might be realized in the winter transfer period.”

It looks like Newcastle finally paid around 900K for the player after initial fees in the region of 600K had been mentioned. But we are sure the fee was acceptable to his club Zalaegerszeg, who were short of money.

Newcastle have a big following in Hungary since Kevin Keegan’s side played Ferencvaros in the UEFA Cup in 1996. Tamas said after he signed in January:

“I know all about Newcastle United, it is a very big club with a very big following in Hungary,”

“I know all about players such as Alan Shearer, David Ginola and the Kevin Keegan side.”

“When I found out that Newcastle were interested it took me just a couple of seconds to say ‘Yes, I want to go’.”

Kadar is one of the best young defenders in Hungary, and his fine performances for club side Zalaegerszegi even earned him a Hungary Under-21 cap last year.

Tamas continued:

“This is a very big challenge and opportunity for me.””My aim is to get into the first-team but first I must work very hard and prove myself.”

“I cannot wait to get started and hopefully this will be the start of a very successful career with Newcastle United.”

The young Hungarian played 14 times for his former club Zalaegerszeg, and scored one goal, and will turn 18 years old in mid-March.

tamas-kadar-23.gif

Tamas Kadar in training with first team squad at Benton in Newcastle

The international transfer of the player was allowed due to Hungary being within the European Union. Normally a player must be 18 years old at a minimum, but within the European Union, can be transfered at the age of 16.

We think Tamas is an excellent acquisition for the club, and we wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s the first of the 5 teenagers we signed last month, to break into the first team squad.

We think Tamas is a star in the making. 😀

Comments very welcome.

• adam

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM

good luck to the guy

• Mr T

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:52 AM

I’ve seen him in the reserves, looks good!

• Zx

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:08 AM

I really like our current transfer policy. Investing in young players. This is the way to do business and to progress as a club. These young players have got potential and they are not expensive. Even if they do not reach their potential, it is surely not an expensive write-off as in the case of Luque. Signing Luque for 9m and using that 9m to sign 9 promising youngsters, which one makes more business sense in the long-run? Surely at least one out of nine youngsters will progress and do very well. That is what I call smart investment.

I’m looking forward to the Summer. Very optimisitc. Hopefully Keegan will be able to sign some exciting players in the mould of Ginola and Asprilla.

As for season tickets for next season, I’m very pessimistic. I’m quite sure I won’t be quick enough to get my hands on one. 🙁

• Ed Harrison

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Zx – some good thoughts there. Keegan was on the radio tonight – he was so good – so honest – wish we could fast forward 2 seasons. 😀

• Cyprus Mag

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:44 AM

To go with the policy of buying young players we must improve the performance of our academy. We haven’t been successful in bringing on young players in the past.

• GM

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Typical Sky Sports, talk about taking stuff out of context to make up a story regarding his interview on the raido last night, they have keegan ready to put an offer in for thierry henry almost !! they are quoting him as saying..

“I would like to fetch Thierry Henry back to England,” Keegan told Radio Newcastle

However they seem to omit the QUESTION put to him, which was in a fantasy world what player would you bring to newcastle ! fkcing sky make me sick they make shi! up all the time w@nkers

• Luke

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:10 AM

just had a look at the league table 😐

had a little giggle at derby on 9 points, and then saw they’d only won one match! haha!

against us 🙁

• Bill F

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM

GM its a bit like the Bible Code, if you take the right letters inthe right order you can get anything. For instance I did a quick scan and came up with “Sunderland win EPL championship in 2008” as you say pure rubbish.

• Bill F

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I didn’t really, it was just a good excuse to rubbish the Mackems.

• robertsA

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

he sounds alright but mind you so did boumsong owen and rozenhal.

• andrew spacka hand

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM

i fink tat newcasle R shitty niples nd the black cats are classicly mint, but midleboro R crapage however they drew with the tooon so that makes the toooon shit. Ive put a tener for newcastle to go down. Nd i bet this kadar is a useless bit of shit cya

• dirty poo eater that lives in a rusty bucket next to andrew spacka hand. And I had his mam twice!!

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM

f***k off you shitty makem

• Thomas

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:31 AM

i hope its true about nufc having a big following in Hungary