Aston Villa vs Newcastle: Teams – Emre Dropped

aston-villa-crest.png nufc-crest.png

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan makes two changes to the side which drew with Middlesbrough last weekend.

Senegal star Habib Beye, back from the African Nations, returns to the United defense to start at right back and a surprise move is that Stephen Carr will switch over to the left back berth in place of Charles N’Zogbia, who is suspended because of 5 yellow cards. But this means that Jose Enrique does not come in at left back, as expected. Seems a strange selection, unless Kevin is looking for more experience at the back.

The second change sees James Milner return to the midfield (right wing) to face the club he was on loan with a couple of seasons ago. He replaces Emre, who captained Turkey during the week, who rather surprisingly drops down to the bench.

Abdoulaye is joined on the bench by Jose Enrique, Mark Viduka, Abdoulaye Faye and Steve Harper. Quite a strong bench. That means both Damien Duff and Joey Barton start again for Newcastle, in a game we cannot really afford to lose.

Villa make one change from the side which was beaten at Fulham with Ashley Young returning from suspension, as expected.

Lee Mason is the referee, and from what we’ve seen of him, he seems a decent enough referee.

TEAMS:

Aston Villa: Scott Carson, Olof Mellberg, Wilfred Bouma, Curtis Davies, Martin Laursen, Stilyan Petrov, Gareth Barry (c), Nigel Reo Coker, Ashley Young, Shaun Maloney, John Carew
Subs: Stuart Taylor, Marlon Harewood, Zat Knight, Craig Gardner, Isaiah Osbourne

Newcastle United: Shay Given, Habib Beye, Stephen Carr, Steven Taylor, Claudio Cacapa, James Milner, Nicky Butt, Joey Barton, Damien Duff, Alan Smith, Michael Owen (c)
Subs: Emre, Mark Viduka, Jose Enrique, Abdoulaye Faye, Steve Harper

Referee: Lee Mason
Attendance: tbc

• Howie

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM

cant believe faye is not startin. best defender we hav.

• Andy1

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Butt Cacapa Smith and Carr should all be out for the 4 on the bench.

Faye especially is someone who should be in there to deal with Carew and then Harewood, when he comes on.

• Soren

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Carr as left back then? 🙁 Must say it a surprise that Feye isn’t included in the starting XI, but I guess he wants to continue to play Taylor and Cacapa together. Fair enough.

• Hammy

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Don’t see many goals in that starting line-up….

• Howie

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

that bench looks very strong. i have a very bad feeling we are gonna lose badly today

• ToonKing

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

me no like team. Butt in team bad, Butt make me sick.

• Howie

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:23 PM

lee mason i think refed the league cup game i was at at vicarage road last year. he had a shocker

• sparetheman

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Only surprise for me is Carr at left-back.

F**ng shit team though. How long do we have to put up with Smith and Butt? I mean, really. I thought Kev said he knew what the fans want?

• Hammy

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

ToonKing…you auditioning for the next series of The Lone Ranger???

• robblenx

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

square pegs in round holes never works – play Enrique at left back and drop Carr. Got to play Feye to give us a bit more height against Villa’s set piece threat

• Howie

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM

it might seem surprising he has played carr over enrique but in fairness to carr since keegan came in he has been very reliable imo

• Elliott

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Hmmm, was worried about Carew with Cacapa. Too big and strong for him IMO, he’ll struggle. Would have played Faye. Who knows though.

• sparetheman

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Only surprise for me is Carr at left-back.

Terrible team though – how long do we have to put up with Butt and Smith in the team? I mean, really. I thought Kev said he knew what the fans want?

• Howie

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM

keegan should have watched the game at stadium of light when faye dealt with big, strong powerful strength in jones. cacapa and taylor will struggle with carew and what big players do we have who can mark mellberg,laursen,davies,carew at corners.
    my prediction 2 or 3-0 villa

• ShiNg

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Butt on the field……….Emre and Faye on the bench……….

No creativity and no hope………..
    oh my god………

• Dragoner

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

what is keegan doing? LOL

• toon

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

shut up u pessamists! i think we’r gaining momentum and the team will improve as a unit, remember the individuals dont matter its the team that counts!

• belfast toon

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

i would of started vduka and swapped smith for barton anyone know what channel its on sopcast

• Obafan

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Here are my thoughts:

1. Taylor should be on the bench and Faye should start. We need experience in our central defence area and Taylor is going to make mistakes again, I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it 🙁 .
    2. Barton over Emre is something I don’t understand. I’ve put Barton as RW yesterday and let Milner on the bench. Again our right wing will be crossing the balls all over the place except there where they should be. Lucky Beye is playing so perhaps a few good crosses if he gets the chance to go forward (which I doubt with Young). We need Emre to pass the ball to our strikers. Why doesn’t he get a run of games to get in his rhythm???? It is very hard to prove if you only get 1 chance in 5 or 6 games… That is very disappointing…
    3. Carr as LB, okay he played ok and perhaps he deserves to be in the squad.
    4. SMITH AGAIN IN THE TEAM; WHY OH WHY????? ARE WE THE ONLY ONES WHO SEE THAT HE SUCKS! I REALLY START TO BELIEVE THAT HE PLAYS BECAUSE MA WEARS HIS SHIRT! COME ON KK; WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF HIM!!!!

I was positive and I’ve put 1_2 in my i know the score game, but I’m afraid we will lose. Hope I’m wrong really cause we need POINTS!!!!!!!!!

• shirts

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Why, in the name of god, are Smith and Butt on the field. Do they have deals with the devil? Compromising pictures of Keegan and a llama? Is it wrong to pray for a lightning bolt to incinerate Allan Smith on live television?

• Mitch H

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Thats a very poor team selection?

Faye is our best central defender & he’s also our best defensive midfielder.

Why drop Emre? Why play Smith?

Still, come on lads, prove me wrong & smash em up today.

Ho’way the Lads !

• Astidores Sanchez Blanco

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM

We need to think positively today because this run has gone on long enough.

Cacapa and Taylor have done well recently, especially in the games against Arsenal. I like Cacapa, he’ll always be lacking in the physical department but he’s a clever defender and seems to have taken a lot of stick for just one performance against Portsmouth.

Carr’s experience should help as opposed to Enrique who looks good but is still adapting to this league. Young will be a tricky customer however.

In midfield hopefully Barton (this is his first game under Keegan in central midfield) can make forward runs and try to chip in with a goal from midfield.

Good to see Milner back too.

Lets hope for a first goal for Smith! Come on Newcastle!

• Kaz

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Pls give Smith a chance. he’s a good player. What owen needs is someone who has great postional skills and smith fits that. Today smith will finally break his scoring drought and then he will not stop scoring to help newcstle to top 5. But faye should really replace butt. Jose enrique at left back is better option.. But believe in keegan magic. Tonite it will be Newcastle Nite!!!

• ToonKing

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM

I have no problem with Smudger playing as a striker, but why Butt is playing and Faye not….is beyond me….

• Scott

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Yeah I’ve got it on Setanta on Sopcast Channel 43343

And seems decent quality

• ToonKing

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM

anyway here we go!!!!!

HOWAY!!!!!

• Obafan

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I’m off to watch the game live on Belgian channel PRIME SPORTS; I’ll be back during half time to read and give comments on our first half performance.

COME ON THE TOON!!!!!

• shirts

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Shit. Petrov is in. I thought he was injured…

• Hadrian

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Lol @ sam’s durham house , property agents have a photo advertising house , one of the rooms there is a filth shirt up on the wall !!

we were right all along , was mackem sabotage .

howay the lads , shock win today ?

• Obafan

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Beye as LB!!!!!

• Scott

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I reckon 1-1 Young to score first against the ‘great’ carr and then Owen to nick one at the end

It’ll be a poor poor game………..

• Gordon

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Echo what everyone hear has said WHY SMITH & BUTT?!?!?!

Given
    Beye Cacapa Taylor Enrique
    Milner Barton Emre Duff
    Viduka Owen

Is the obvious team – with Martins not being available…

Come on Kev, sort it out!!!!

• ObaFan2

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Smith 40 league games without a goal !!!!!!!!

• shirts

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Smith–40 games without a goal. what a fecking waste.
    Why?
    Why!?Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?

feck.

• Hadrian

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

toonking how can u have no problems with smiudge when he’s not scored in well over a full season .

• windsrave

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

wtf, emre & enrique dropped?

• Kevin

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I’m wondering if Keegan has a CHOICE to play Smith and Butt…..contract clauses perhaps??? It simply defies logic.

Come on lads – I’m not too confident at the moment – prove me wrong!

• arlyz1

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM

This is just as bad a team as big sam would have put out. Can’t believe what keegan is doing. Fear the worst…

• Tez131

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM

We need to replace Butt with Faye, Carr with Enrique.
    If that is not working bring on Viduka for Smith and then Emre for one of our midfielders after a while.

In my opinion the team should be:

—————-Shay Given,
    Beye, —- Cacapa, Faye, —-Erique
    Milner, –Barton,— Emre,— Duff,
    ———-Viduka,—– Owen

Or maybe if that too attacking we could take of a midfielder and play Faye in def Mid and slot Taylor at CB.

But trust King Kev – he’ll get it right and hopefully it starts today…

• kelvin

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM

wasn’t keegan saying emre was the only one who could open defenses for newcastle and now he’s dropped him? just doesn’t make sense, we need to supply owen with chances.