What’s Sam Up To With His Ambitious Comments?

We’ve resisted giving any publicity to the quotes made last week by our former manager Sam Allardyce, when he said that his ambition was stronger than Newcastle’s.

sam-allardyce-23.jpg

Sam Allardyce – says his ambition was greater than the Newcastle United club

To us this is a wind-up by Sam for both the football club and the fans, and we think that we’re playing into his hands if we all get upset about what he says.

However, we have had a few emails from readers wanting us to comment on the comments so they can make their comments on it.
So here’s a brief article and our opinion on it.

This is what Big Sam over the weekend about his time at Newcastle United:

“I think you can accept it a lot more if you can come to terms with the fact that a good percentage of it was your fault – but that doesn’t apply to me at Newcastle.”

“The usual rubbish that goes when someone like me is sacked from a club like Newcastle is that that job was too big for me.” “That’s just not true.”

“If I’m honest the reverse is probably true. Newcastle probably wasn’t big enough for me – it didn’t live up to my ambitions in the short time that I was there. And because it didn’t do that the club missed a chance to realize its own ambitions.”

“The more I analyze it, the more I come to the conclusion that it was never about me or results. It was about things they wanted to put in place.”

I’m not sure that Sam is correct in that last sentence, because it was clearly the results that got him sacked – they were just not good enough.

When people get sacked we always think it’s best for them to say nothing so they can maintain their dignity. People are hurt when they get sacked, that’s always true, but if people can maintain their dignity, they will be more employable in the future, and the real bottom line is it shows a bit of class.

When Sam first got sacked it was a shock to us, and we thought he handled it well. But if he makes more seemingly ridiculous statements like those above, he will not look to have too much class. But there again Sam is after a new job in the summer, so its within his own interests to make comments that get him some publicity.

But to be fair to Sam, from his viewpoint we think what probably really happened, is he wanted to bring in more expensive players in the summer and in January but was turned down in several of those requests by Chris Mort and Mike Ashley.

That’s probably what happened so there is a little truth is what he says – from that viewpoint.

Well – that’s it – comments on this are welcome – just keep them respectable for the bairns.

• Gordon

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Mike Allardyce!

Go Sam – the Barcelona job is just begging for you… *NOT!*

Sure Southampton would welcome you with open arms though…

• Eric

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Ignore Fat Sam. Sour grapes. He has seen us play better football than his boring up and under
    style – even though we have still lost. I still feel that Fat Sam cost us dearly in lots of ways. Let the “fat controller” go and play with his train set and allow KK get on with the job in hand. After all Sam the Ham imported most of what we have got to get rid of didn’t he?

• Paul

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Should take his teeth out and make him the team coach.

• Ed Harrison

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I’ve got Allardyce on the brain – meant Mike Ashley – it’s the Alzheimer’s kicking in again.

• ObaFan2

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM

MA probably realised the players he wanted (and already bought) were turning us into Bolton Upon Tyne and quite probably wanting Nolan was the last straw.

Seriously though the current owner was not responsible for bringing BSA in and after all it’s his money, his club (shared with us 🙂 ) and he does seem to want the best for NUFC. He must have realised BSA was not the best for NUFC and that’s why he has gone.

The summer will reveal all as his signings and money available will highlight his true intent. We’ve had another wasted season (to a degree) and hopefully it will be the last wasted season we will see in a long time.

• greek toon

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I nearly choked on my souvlaki when I read that.

• Bosck

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:54 PM

i supported sam’s appointment and supported him most of the time he was here.

but the simple fact is we made absolutely no improvement during his time here, except perhaps on the youth side which appears to have been more of Mort’s doing.

we played negative football, people out of position, high balls to little strikers, dropped our top scorer and played for draws at home to teams in the relegation zone.

I can understand Mort and Ashley not spending big in the summer as they were still trying to assess the financial situation at the club, and lets bear in mind ashley then paid of the whole debt. I can also understand them not giving money to allardyce in january if the targets he suggested were just going to bring more negative football.

They were willing to give keegan money in january for the right players as shown with woodgate. unfortunately those players did not want to come as it turns out.

as i say i used to like allardyce but his time here and particularly this comment are beginning to change my mind.

• valle

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM

He is playing down the fact that he got sacked so he can still be in the run if a top job becomes available… I think Sam would have made it if he was given time, however he would have to realize that the offensive passing game is what the big clubs in EPL use… Now however his train has left im afraid. I dont think he will get a top job again.

• nightfall

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:57 PM

…just an idiot protecting his ego…

• Hadrian

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM

It was sam’s fault for his pig headed refusal to adapt .
    you’d have tobe ignorant to think you can walk into a city’s footbal club , followed by thousands , and not listen to their opinions and concerns .
    you also have tobe pretty stupid thinking you can come into a club and use physical and long ball tactics with a sqaud of small lightweight players used to playing football .

no , it was sam’s ego that got him sacked , “top man in my field” “ill do it my way” .
    if only he had actually taken time to listen to the people he really works for (the fans) and give them what they pay for there is a chance he may of actually had a better time of it .

• Cyprus Mag

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Greek Toon, you must be a contortionist

• greek toon

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Fat Sam’s reputation, such as it was, is in tatters and it is amazing that he cannot see that. Sam”Top man in my field” Allardyce – Mooo! I Mind you, he doesn’t need to work any more after having won the lottery with nufc. And another thing, did that bovine gum chewing get on my wick or what!

• Todd

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I couldn’t believe it when I read the things Sam said. If he calls playing for a draw against a team like Derby “ambitious”, I’d hate to see him when he has a lack of ambition.

It was his bad tactics, bad selections, and his player’s lack of confidence that got him sacked. Unfortunately his imprint on the club remains in the way the team continues to play since he’s been gone.

• Soren

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Have to agree with nightfall.
    An idiot protecting his massive ego.
    He talks about ambition ehh? Remember playing for draw, ohh wait, containing, against teams like Wigan, Derby, Fulham, Sunderland and STOKE!!! yeah thats ambition!
    He’s gone down even further in my view. Thought it was bad enough he never took any responsibility for the bad results, but now this??!?!? ( yeah I know that the players are to blame too, but his tactics and playing players out of position was to blame too)

• Mr T

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Sour Grapes Sam. Your ego is clearly in excess of your wasteline.

Look at the players you brought in, and compare them to who everyones shouting to be sold, or should be squad players at best!

Bringing in Nolan would have been the appointment of Souness. Would of been like England appointing Allardyce…

Why not go be Roy Keane’s assistant seen as you know as much about football as they do down there.

• greek toon

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Cyprus, its a great gift!

• Gordon

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Bosck – well said, agree totally.

• Leo*

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:43 PM

sam allardyce is going to be the next republic of ireland manager…

wouldnt exactly call it a top job though

• Micky Toon

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

If he was so ambitious then why stay with Bolton for so long? He’s just taking a cheap shot at the club, we all know that and should give it the attention it deserves. This comment of his hasn’t wound me up one bit, it just makes me want to laugh in his face.

• Dunc

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Shame you didn’t show it whilst you were in the job then Sam.

Stop talking bull!!!!!! Fool!!!!!

• Bottlodog

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Oh no he’s not Leo

• Leo*

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

bottlodog, is this going to be pantomime? oh yes he is… i was told by an apparnt reliable source that he was…

have you any other info mate? i will be gutted if he doesnt because i got 50-1 and put 30quid on it haha

• James

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM

He is the only manager to lose a game to Derby – enough said!

• nufctj

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:52 PM

BSA is way out in the wilderness with these comments.

His sacking was 10% results, 90% due to the fact that he was in place before MA. MA and CM would have never hired BSA. MA is on record saying that his gut feeling when he took over was to sack BSA right from the start, but that he resisted the urge, only later to regret it. Shepherd is the one who hired BSA, and if BSA wants to make any comments about our club he should direct them towards ‘ol Freddy.

I, as a supporter of NUFC, am very glad BSA is gone. I never was comfortable with his hiring in the first place. I liked to watch Bolton games when BSA was in charge around nap time. They always put me to sleep in minutes.

Yes, BSA is definitely too big for NUFC. Coventry is hiring.

• catchy

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM

he is good in his own world…. leave him there

• Witters

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:42 PM

It’s about this article made it’s way onto the site although I understand your reluctance Ed…

I think Ashley & Mort made the right decision to keep Allardyce whilst they carried out their strategic review as it was probably one less thing to worry about at the time.

They were also correct not to throw money at him at the same time because he wasn’t their man and one could assume given his ‘achievements’ at Real Bolton with players not as good as those at Newcastle the team would be in reasonably safe hands. Once the strategic review was complete he was sacked, sacked because a) he wasn’t their man and b) we were playing the worse football I’ve seen in a long long time. I’m positive that if Alladyce had the team performing in the style suited to the club & achieving results he wouldn’t have been sacked and money would have been made available.

He completely failed to impress his new bosses, failed to get his players playing, failed to win over the fans and suffered the consequences. HE FAILED and has no-one else to blame but himself!

To conclude, only people who are to blame find others to blame.

• dopaz

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM

this is the biggest club he will ever be given a chance at, BSA yeah, bull shit allardyce

• Eve

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Oh ya, Man U, Barca, Real, they’re all knocking down his door. Please talking about stirring it up. please, sure the wee fella wasn’t even wanted by Ireland. He was insulted that they didn’t get on to him. And now look at Ireland, they’re about to land an Italian legend who has a bigger CV then everyone, including Capello, everyone except Fergie. Almost go as far to say that they’ve got a better lad then wee Capello.
    Seriously Sam’s acting like a little child who’s being shouted at to share his sweets with his brother and him storming off crying saying he didn’t want anyway.What a joke.
    The man has some serious ego issues.

• m.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM

stop bragging about him – he’d be great in a team with UCL glories

I think he’d be OK at Forest.

• LongBeachToon

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Sam’s comments would be unprofessional in any field.

Still, it does leave one thinking, can anyone manage NUFC in a manner that fans demand. More directly, can Keegan fit the off-field and on-field pieces together?

I was glad to see BSA brought on board last Spring (as were many NUFC fans). He in fact fixed a hugh problem; getting the team fit after a string of injuries. What we did not know at the time was how out of sync he would be with football expectations in the Northeast.

In fact, our past three managers were brought in to fix non-pitch problems (though which always had on pitch consequences).

Souness: discipline
    Roeder: emergency confidence
    BSA: fitness

For Keegan, can he pull it all together? Being out of the game for a few years is an eternity. I hope he can succeed; he is the perfect personality for the game played in Newcastle.

• BILLY - B

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM

i think sam had a master plan play crap football for six months then walk away with six million quid.
    guess what it worked. now onto phase two tell everyone in the media that he is a brilliant manager
    some other sucker club will believe him and six months to a year later walk away with another few million. not bad eh

• Ginola

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Thank God he didnt coach England, can you imaging if he use his poor tactics with England !!

• hanz_emre

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:47 AM

shame on him to speak of such. Given 2 to 3 years with his then game tactics would be torturing us to death.bored stuff.now his legacy players which KK inherites are playing to BSA’s tune which going to drag us into relegation zone.Thank U but yet no thanks. Just f3ck off u Big Egoistic-cum-Thick-Skin Sam Allardyce.

• Will

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:32 AM

Oh come on Sam! do you think the whole footballing world are as retarded as you!

When he first arrived I thought “oh well, at least he seems the kind of man to bring in some discipline and can kick some (or Most) of our squad of “talented” players butt so that they can put up some performance that matches their wages! Hell! I think he made some of our more decent players worse. I am sure MO and Oba is not here to play defensive and pessimistic football, even when we are playing some shit team whom you don’t even know half their squad’s name.

Before he came I thought we have a bunch of good footballer who is just not inspired or coached well by Roeder who is just too small a character in front of our big name players. Now I really don’t know if our players are half as good as they are supposed to be? or did Big Sam turned them into amateur with his coaching style?