Can Newcastle get Richard Dunne in the Summer?

Sven Eriksson seems to have been having trouble with the contracts of his two excellent central defenders, Micah Richards and Richard Dunne.

richard-dunne.jpg

Richard Dunne – excellent performance by the Manchester City captain

Manchester City have solved the Micah Richards problem and the youngster recently signed an extended contract at the Eastlands club. However, there are still signs that Richard Dunne, who has been outstanding for City over the last 3 seasons, and indeed has been voted their best player 3 years running, is still not too happy with what he is being offered.

The Daily Mirror is reporting the player is concerned about how the negotiations for a new contract are going. This was a story out when Keegan first arrived back at Newcastle, so we’re not sure if it’s just being recirculated or if there is any truth in it. We cannot imagine City allowing this to get in the way of keeping their dominant central defender and captain, but it’s not the first time rumors like this have surfaced.

The Mirror raises the prospect of Dunne potentially buying out his contract, as players over 28 these days and with over two years service can pay £1.5M to be released from their contract. In that case Richard would be a free agent and could negotiate some massive deal with another club.

If you look at the performances of central defenders over the last couple of seasons Dunne has to be near, if not at the very top of the list in the Premier League, and of course Kevin Keegan was his manager at City a few years back. At the time Dunne wasn’t the dedicated professional he is today, and Keegan laid down the law, and to his credit Dunne buckled down and has become the excellent defender he is today and very consistent.

We don’t know what the relationship is like between Dunne and Keegan and don’t know if Kevin would be keen to bring Richard to Newcastle if he could get him.

But Manchester City have been the club that have probably improved the most this season under new manager Sven Eriksson, who is proving he is one of the best club managers around, and just last weekend City did the double over Manchester United for the first time in many years.

Not sure why Dunne would want to come to Newcastle quite honestly, since we have really struggled this season, and we will not even be able to offer European Competition next year, while City may even grab a European Champions League place.

But there may be a possibility if negotiation break down, that we could get Dunne – he would be a great acquisition for us after we failed in our late bid to get Jonathan Woodgate. We definitely need a proven, dominant and experienced center-back before next season and Richard fits the bill perfectly.

But we’re not sire if we are just dreaming that it may even be possible.

What do you think?

• steve

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:12 AM

no chance – it’s all paper talk, probably started by Dunnes agent to get an increase in wages

• nightfall

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM

hmmm…………………no

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Nightfall, why not that wee fellas an amazing defender, an outstanding captain. I don’t know how well I can enforce this as much as I need to I mean it when I say that Dunne is the ONLY defender Given trusts.

The lad, like ye saw him against us there not so long ago and he saved City a good few times. He’s a leader in the back line and he’d be a fantastic buy.

• Sav

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I share your enthusiasm but sadly, not your optimism.

• Kash2

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM

The only way he’ll sign is if Erriksson has a big time CB lined up and can afford to let him go. Otherwise I can’t see it happening!

• BW POSITIVE

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM

HAHAHA. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Here we are stating quite unanimously that in no uncertain terms would RICHARD DUNNE join us. Who could have foreseen this. To think we look upen Dunne as a player out of our reach, a player at Man city.
    Im not a negative minded person, but this club, certainly with the help of the media, is being groomed to be no better than the rest in terms of pulling power. That was always our strength, the ability to attract top european players without on the field success. We have lost that now.

• GP

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM

He wouldn’t come, he just wants a bigger wage at City, which he’ll probably get at the end of the season. Shame though, I’d snap him up in a heartbeat.

• nightfall

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Eve – yes i know he’s great…i just answered Ed’s question…”can we get him?” the guy is a CAPTAIN of a very good team..they will play in europe…perhaps even in CL…and they’ll only get better… who’d leave that for playing with barton, smith, butt, carr, etc etc etc etc…

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Nightfall..good point, the wee bit of optimism I had left is now gone. Ah well, that lasted all of about a half an hour. Most be some sort of record..*sigh*.

Oh who I’d love, who I’d really love, instead of or as well as Dunne whatever, (even though Reading turned down Sunderland about 100 times over)who I’d love is Stephen Hunt. He’s a class player and like, we should buy him for this alone..(after he was tackled badly by his international teammate Carsely, he got up and was pretty pissed off, had to be held back), but afterwards he said, and just for this I think we should buy the wee fella, he said

‘My legs were like Scooby-Doo’s when ‘Murts’ picked me up. I couldn’t go anywhere. But Carsley’s a good lad. It was just one of those things.’

Know one else but him would have said that, who wouldn’t hear something like that from Ronaldo or Drogba. He’s a dead on attitude. Always give 110% present. I’d love if we bought him.

• ToonKing

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM

No way are we getting Dunne. He’s better then Rion and Terry right now.

Let’s get Danny Shittu.

• Leo*

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM

has everyone forgot about faye!!! he is a great center back

we probly need someone to partner him, they have to be of similar stature, we need to bully the opponents strikers with big defenders.

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Leo..Dunne is much better though and consistent. Probably the best in the Premiership at the moment.

• Bill F

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:14 PM

As a matter of interest how old is he. I thought he was no spring chicken and as good as everyone rates him is he the type of player we should be going for.

If we are going to get an older player there is only one I would want and that is Juninho. He really would spark the team.

• Steeley

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Point 1 – “We definitely need a proven, dominant and experienced center-back before next season” – dear God, how many seasons do we have to keep bleating this point on!!?? Will we EVER get that man??? I think it was one of the biggest mistakes in recent years when Roeder said that Sol Campbell was past it as I think he could have been that man. Still, you’re right Ed, we do need a top CB….but will Keegan splash out big wages to draw someone in, as it’s the only way we could do it.

Point 3, BW POSITIVE – It’s not good is it! It is such a shame to see how downhill we have travelled in 10 years! There would have been talk in those days of attracting the Rios and the Terrys, but alas, it’s not meant to be. Still, it could be worse – we could be Leeds!!

Point 2 – Eve, will you ever give up on the whole Given thing!?!? Crikey!! So what if Dunne is the only one that Given trusts – Given doesnt manage the team, and quite likely, Given wont even be number 1 next season so give it up! I agree with you that Dunne is an excellent defender, but every NUFC issue doesnt resolve around Shay you know!

• Steeley

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:20 PM

P.S. I have no idea why my points came out in the wrong order – must be going mad in my old age!

• Bosck

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM

agree with Toonking. Danny Shittu is wasted in the championship. get him and faye cb next year with taylor and cacapa as back up.

• nightfall

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM

our side needs big changes…i mean…zog apparenty wants to leave, rozehnal was totaly unhappy, smith gets picked ahead of viduka, shola,…even though he can’t score and is useless…the same goes for emre-butt situation…and also carr-enrique,….martins and owen can’t play together…,cacapa is inconsistent, owen’s not in england squad anymore and has big injury problems, shay is not what he used to be…same goes for duff…
    the only player who’s always trying his best is milner…never complains, never causes any problems, wants to play all the time, is always motivated..i mean…his attitude is just superb…
    so…if we look at this facts…can we belive keegan’s statement: “the atmospehere in the dressing room is superb”? if sth doesn’t change fast, kev won’t attract anyone…

…sad…but true…

• Leo*

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Eve i wonder why you would think that. other than ‘how good he has been at mancity’ he is playing along side micah richards ffs… he may be good but he aint in the brackets of terry rio toure etc…

by no means is dunne much better than faye, if anything faye would be as good if not better if he can get a good defender along side him

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Steeley..OK..I can see how you would get that from what I said.

Leo..you haven’t seen Dunne play much have you?? He’s been playing very well with Ireland as well and they don’t have the most experienced back line. Between himself and Given they’ve managed to pick up the last 3 FAI player of the year awards and Dunne and Given win MOTM every second game.

He’s no great partner there in the Irish backs now has he??

• greek toon

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:38 PM

As i have said before, Eve is Given’s missus.

• Leo*

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM

yes i have seen him play often… stop going on about the irish internationals being soo great, its getting really old. and to be fair if you were right people wouldnt get on your back about it.

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Sweet Jesus why do I even bother, I can’t open my mouth without there being some alternative motive.
    And yes Greek Toon, we’ve been here before, yes we’ve gather your a sexist prat, do we have to go here again.

I can’t back up my point can I, what have I said that’s wrong.

Whatever, I’m done.

• greek toon

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM

what is sexist about saying you are mrs Given?

• tdt

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:48 PM

lol

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Greektoon, because I can’t say anything about any player without it being presumed that I like him. That’s how it’s sexist. Genius.

• Leo*

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Leo to greek toon “your mr shearer”

Green toon to Leo “you homophobe”

haha

• nightfall

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:52 PM

eh…lady and gentelmen…chill 🙂
    we’re here ONLY to write our opinions…noone has to agree with anyone…stop provoking, have a beer or smoke a j*i*t and just relax 😉

• greek toon

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Eve, there is nothing wrong with you liking a player and furthermore you were the one who has introduced the sexual connotation to my remark. And by the way, since when does being married have anything to do with having sex anyway 😉

• Eve

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Greek toon..WHAT??
    How the hell, do you know what sexist means??

• nightfall

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM

damn..you remind me of smith… he also can’t control his ego 😀 just leave it…

• nightfall

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Ed…i think your blog will soon become a dating service… 😀 ….just give it a week…or two…perhaps 3…one month tops 😀

• daiv

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Not if we get relegated. Stop guessing who we are going to sign and think about staying up. Live in real world.

• GP

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Eve, fancy going out for a curry with me? I’m dead sexy, honest.

• Andreas

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Daiv, you are by far the most negative poster on this site and that’s not an easy thing to accomplish. Not a single positive post as far as I can recall – wow that is dedication.

I salute you for being consistantly negative, not one positive remark that would screw your 100% negative record.

Side note: just because your negative, doesn’t mean you’re a Mackem

• Zx

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Sort out Taylor’s contract first. Talking about Dunne without securing our best young player to a new contract is just silly.

• Alan Parkin

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Dunne is an overweight plodding donkey. I hope he stays at Man City

• J

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Good ploy from Dunnes agent to get a new BIG contract.

Dont you remember when same was said about Laursen???

Few days later he had signed a new BIG contract.

suprise suprise they just use us.

• daiv

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Andreas,
    I’m going to break my duck… we will stay up. I am very negative on this blog because that is the way I feel about the team and the way things have been going the last 5 years. However, I am a season ticket holder who lives in Essex and go to away matches. I have been supporting the team for 40 years. I am very supportive at the ground and have never booed the team or individuals. This blog lets me vent my frustrations becuause lets face it the team is pretty rubbish. Its been getting worse year on year. We were only 4 pts above relegation last year so don’t tell me all is rosy.

• valle

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Ofcourse we can get him… All it takes is one big name signing to get the other ones rolling… On another note, isnt the Richards contract up in the air?, he was ABOUT to sign when we was interested last time, but i never saw any confirmation.

• chuck

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Watched him recently. playing his ass off!
    Thought he was a bit of a cart horse but recent showing has proved he is one of the best defenders anywhere.
    Would be nice to get him.