Bobby Robson Talks About His Great Career

Sir Bobby Robson has given a long interview this morning to Luke Edwards, the Chief Sports Writer of the Newcastle Journal and we cannot resist listing the interview this morning, and making some of our own comments on Bobby’s great career in football.

bobby-robson-1.jpg

Bobby Robson when managing England

Bobby told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“I have had a wonderful career and a wonderful life,” “I really couldn’t ask for much more. When I look back I’m very proud of what I have achieved.” “I played for some fabulous clubs and I played for England. I had 14 years at Ipswich Town as a manager, won things and was very, very happy there.”

“Then I got the top job, the best job in the world really. I managed England, I managed England for eight years and we reached the semi-finals of the World Cup.” “Yes, there were some unpleasant things said and written about me, but there isn’t a bigger job in world football than managing England, so I’m very happy I did it. Then I went abroad for 10 years and had success in Holland and Portugal.”

“Then I hit the jackpot, I was offered the manager’s job at Barcelona. How many people can say that? How many people can say they had the biggest international job and the biggest club job in their lives? So many happy times, I’ve met some fantastic people and I’ve worked with some of the greatest players all over the world.”

Robson has been responsible for influencing so many top managers of today. The “Special One’, Jose Mourinho sings his praises and says he learned everything about football management from Bobby, while he was at Barcelona with him. Sven Eriksson also used to attend the Ipswich Training sessions to pick up tips about training and how to handle the players.

And of course in 1999 Robson wanted to bring an unknown Portuguese guy to be his assistant manager at Newcastle United, but we’d never heard of him – Jose Mourinho.

But Bobby, as we know has had his fights with cancer and he is now battling that illness for the 5th time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his wife Elsie. Indeed, Bobby was never one to stand still or feel sorry for himself, and is busy with his latest project, the creation of the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trial And Research Center at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital, on Freeman Road in Jesmond.

Bobby continued:

“There is still some fight in me yet,” “I’m still going and I’m still strong. I’ve had my health problems and I’m still fighting them, but I’ve always been a fighter. After my birthday I have another project to embark on. I’m going to launch a charity to help people in the North East fight cancer and I’m going to raise the money to help the experts help them beat it.”

“I never thought I’d get the chance to manage my club and I loved every single day I was in that job,” “It meant the world to me and I believe I did as good a job as I could. I don’t have any regrets about my time there.”

“I took the club over when they were bottom of the league and in the five years I was manager we finished in the top five three years running. Three years after I arrived we were playing in the Champions League. Nobody has got near that since I left.”

“People say, yes, but you didn’t win a trophy. No, we didn’t and that’s my only regret, the only thing I look back on with a little sadness. I would have loved to have got that piece of silverware and ended the drought, can you imagine what that would have been like? ”

“As I have to remind people, there aren’t many trophies you can win. There are only three domestic ones, the FA Cup, the Carling Cup and the League. Then there are the European ones, but the Champions League was never a realistic one for us when I was there.”

One thing that we’ve always liked about Bobby is he holds no grudges, even though he had had every right to in his career. When he was managing England he took terrible abuse from the press but still got England to the quarter-finals in 1986, when only the hand of God helped Argentina beat us. But Bobby always took a dim view of Maradona from the day on and said at the time:

“It wasn’t the hand of God. It was the hand of a rascal. God had nothing to do with it.”

“That day, Maradona was diminished in my eyes forever.”

Well Maradona cheated – and got away with it, that’s what happened. Forget the hand of God, we don’t think God cheats, not even for Argentina.

And then in 1990 we went to penalties after extra time against West Germany, but were finally eliminated. Argentina were the other finalists and had a few of their players banned for the final. So we were closer to winning a second World Cup than ever, so very close.

Of course, Bobby got absolutely no help from the media, who think their job is to tear down any England manager after any defeat – they work against England and continue to do so until this day – and that’s the truth – and people know it too.

Booby turns 75 years old on Monday February 18th, and we wish him a Happy Birthday and all the very best in the future.

No Bobby is the great one, as Jose will attest to. A great manager but an even greater man.

• AlexW

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:04 PM

bobby robson will be sadly missed as i fear with ilness he shant be with us much longer, and what a great legend he is and will be for eternity

opefully im wrong and el be with us for at least another 20 years to see newcastle back at the top 😀

• Leo*

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM

love that, hand of a rascal

• Leo*

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM

you can just imagine al falfa (dont know if thats the right spelling) running on the pitch the put the ball in with his pointy hairstyle

• willowtoon

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

When Legend is used all true frequently in todays world it diminishes the word

However there is no better mantle for the man.

He has lived his life by his own code and by doing so those around him look the fools.

English Press when hounded out before the 1990 finals – How they changed during the competion,

His refusal to walk out on Barcelona even though they pushed him into a scouting role. He has never and will never break a contract.

His dignified comments when sacked from the job he loved by a selfish baboon who would not look at the mirror for the problem.

I will remember the BBC sports personality life time achievement reception he got till the day I die.

This is why he is a world status legend

Happy Birthday Sir Bobby

• Ant

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM

hand of a rascal…classic

How much commitment did Bobby have for his football?

“That day, Maradona was diminished in my eyes forever.”

One of the greatest players ever…and he simply didnt like him any more…truly a great man

All the best to him

• Viper

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I have few what I list as Heros. But SBR IS up there with the couple.

The day he winked at me in a certain restaurant in Gosforth, remains with me as a pick-up everytime I feel down!

Yes, worthy of the term ‘Legend’ as many others are not.

All the very best in the future in all you do Sir Bobby Robson.

• dingo

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I tip my hat in humbleness to SBR

• Bill F

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Add to that the mind of a rascal, although Sir Bob did not say in public. In the shape of fat freddy then two “Rascals” have blighted his illustrious career. We can only dwell upon the might have beens with a lot of regret.

I hope he wins his latest round with the blight of so many lifes and that he can come back to St James in some capacity. It would a such a pity if his know how was not taken advantage of.

• Hadrian

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

ive been lucky enough to follow bobby throughout his carear , my grandfathers neighbour was a scout for ipswich back when bobby was there , both he and bobby came to watch me play one day .
    since that day ive had a shirt from bobby from whatever team he was at signed by the full squad .
    honest this is the kind of guy who is a joy to listen to and i feel very privilaged to have met him as much as i have .
    he should have his own statue in our city nevermind just ipswich.

• Ian

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM

It wasnt Fat Freddy that got rid of Bobby, John Hall and his boardroom chums made the decision then left Freddy to tell him!!
    Freddy and Bobby Robson still keep in contact!!

Freddy could hardly tell him, then the media blamed him!!

• Rem

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:21 PM

worst thing shepeard did was sack sir robson in the way he did. He shudnt have in the 1st place, but even that wouldnt have been as bad if hed done it showing respect for him.
    Whateva fat freddy sheaperd did, i could never forgive him for that!

• Rem

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM

just read comment above. redirect that at john hall and the board then. lol

• thelongshanks

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Bobby is a legend!

• Chicken

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I don’t think those two little fkers Bellamy and Dyer helped the situation much.

Oh well – its come back and bitten the pair of them on the arse big style.

Maybe there is such a thing as Karma – and if so mebs FFS will get hit by a double decker tomorrow, although by the size of the fat tw@t i wouldn’t be too surprised if the bus came off worse.

• Bill F

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Likewise, my comments.

• Stephen

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM

This Man is a legend…

Simple as that……..

He made happy being a toon fan…..

Since he left its never being the same………

Wish he was 30 years younger……

• Scottyt

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM

absolutely agree with everyone what a legend

looking back now its seems clear that getting rid of this great man was a huge mistake after all he only had a bad start and fat fred got him out. yet again his players and the board let him down in the end.

legend is the only word to describe him ‘theres only one bobby robson, one bobby robson, walking along singing a song, walking in a robson wonderland!’

• Ian

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Chicken, West Ham will be alright Dyer is fit again!!!!!!!!
    Nearly as funny as your plan A and B!!

• catchy

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

a true gentlman… hope he lives for eva good luck sir bob

• adam

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:34 PM

your a legend booby. should never have let you leave

• Scottyt

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM

adam thats an interesting spellin of wor bobby there lool

• mitch

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I think SBR is probably one of the greatest ever managers in football he is respected the world over in football when you look at his career you just think wow what a man we were priviedged to have him as our manager and when SBR started criticising big sam you knew he had to go as this man never has a bad word for anyone I wish SBR all the best for the future he really is a gentleman and a legend godbless SBR