McDermott – Spirits High in Newcastle Camp

Terry McDermott has talked to the Evening Chronicle today and says training over the last two weeks has taken place with the players in good spirits.

kevin-keegan-with-terry.jpg

Keegan and McDermott – looks like somebody did something dumb

Terry told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“If the mood is anything to go by, the Man United game is one that everyone is looking forward to.” “I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the spirit in the camp. I was saying to Arthur Cox that the atmosphere has been first class.”

“The lads have been battered and bruised in the last month because results haven’t gone our way.” “We’ve played well in some games but got nothing.”

“At Arsenal in the FA Cup we played very well in the first half and got nothing.” “Then at Aston Villa played well and got nothing. We haven’t been able to sustain it when we’ve played well.”

“And we’ve been badly beaten sometimes, which has possibly been undeserved.” “That’s happened in those two examples – 3-0 and 4-1 – and it probably wasn’t deserved, but that’s what happened.”

“It hurt the lads, but the reaction has been fantastic.”

“And no matter what people think, players do care because they have pride about themselves.” “It was hard to stomach, but they have been great.”

“The atmosphere has changed and the mood has been very good in a week of a big game coming up.” “The players have had a smile on their faces and they are laughing and joking.”

“But they are well aware that they have to get a good result. We want them to be laughing, but we want them to get results as well.”

We’re glad to hear that and it starts to look like the lads may be up for the game tomorrow, which would be excellent. But only a couple of days ago Terry said the following:

“Confidence is not great at the moment,” “How can it be? Confidence comes from winning football games and we haven’t been doing that lately.”“It will come back though.”

We’re not being critical – just that things couldn’t have changed in the confidence level over the last two days. But maybe confidence and good spirits aren’t the same thing?

But hey, enough of this, we’re really pleased to hear the lads are in good spirits. If there is one thing we can say about the vast majority of our players this season, it’s that they are good guys, and extremely good professionals. Well, at least most of them are. 😀

We’re really looking forward to the game tomorrow, and if we can get anything out it at all, that would be just great.

Comments very welcome.

• ken nolan

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM

If the players are in good spirit hopefully they will show show it on the on the field and put the fans in a good mood. Most of these players have done well elsewhere so why shouldn’t they here with the right movitation

• cooldj

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM

w.v.

• Edd Case

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM

McDermott – Spirits High (in alcohol volume) In Newcastle Camp

• Greg P

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I have to say I’m scared. We really need Faye to help Taylor keep it tight and give Fat Duka a game to bully the Man U defence as Owen will be pretty impotent otherwise. And I know I posted this on another story, but feel Carrol should not be considered at all as he has proved nothing for Newcastle or Preston, and reserve team football gets you the call up but if you then fail to deliver you need to go down the leagues.

• CJ

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Ha ha Edd Case samething i thought when i seen the headline word high and McDermott.

• Gooderz

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Has anyone seen the yellow jersey they bestow on the worst trainer of the week?

This week it belongs to Given.

• Leo*

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

mcdermott, two interviews in a week, he must realise he should work for his money…

if only the papers would pay his wages instead of the toon

• Leo*

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM

im still trying to find out what the word to the song that begins….

eee aye eee aye eee aye oh, up the premierleague we go….

anyone help?

• Toon Andy

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Leo,

How’s about this:

“E-I-E-I-E-I-O
    Up the Premier League we go
    When we get to Europe, this is what we’ll sing
    We are the Geordies,
    Super Geordies,
    Keegan is our King”

Depending on your level of (extreme) optimism, “When we get to Europe” could be replaced, with “When we reach league safety” fitting nicely both in the song and in terms of our current predicament…

• cooldj

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:40 PM

wow it appears ken nolan got in before me. ouch.

• cooldj

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM

wait whys the “just great” in italics-is that sarcasm or something…?

• CJ

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Heard something early that has give me a bit more confidence about tomorror’s game that Steven Carr (fatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttty) is ruled out let’s hope it is for the rest of the season. I would rather be short on player’s and play someone who deserves a game from the youth team than have this fat baldy lunatic playing for us thank F##k Beye is back.

• marcus owen

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:09 PM

At this time, we are no more worry how to lose anymore. Just go all out to beat Man U.

• malaysian youngster

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM

something to share about.off topic

this is what hleb comment bout arsene

Lately, he even told me to pass on his gratitude to my wife!

“He told me he knew how she had helped me to regain my confidence.

“I was completely surprised he thinks about such details.

“And he was right, my wife has helped me a lot. I married a year ago and since she came over to live with me, everything seems easier to me. I’m not totally happy with my performances. But I have started to believe in myself again.

“Every goal, every decent pass gives me new power. Then, I feel easy and free, as if I could fly.”

• Cyprus Mag

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM

As geordies we are always a bit optimistic about our team’s chances, even if we wouldn’t say so in public because of the danger of joining poor Gazza and being sectioned.
    However if like me you let your heart rule your head, get onto Betfair where you can get around 8 to 1 against Newcastle winning today, gotta be worth a bob or two.

• Bryan

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Why is it when we are about to play one of the top teams at SJP we always get the quotes about the players being up for it. Should`nt that be the norm in every game?
    These are very well paid players and they should show the same commitment and desire during a game whether we are playing Man Utd or Derby.
    Make no mistake the reason we are where we are in the league is the way we have played against the lesser teams, that is where we should have picked up the points to be well clear of the relegation spots.
    We all know that points against the top 4 are always going to few and far between, but against the likes of Derby,Wigan,Reading,Boro etc, the players should have been as commited against these team as they seem to be for todays game.
    Unless these players show this desire and commitment to sweat blood for the club now and until the end of the season, we might be one of the dreaded 3 that go down.
    I would happilly take 4th bottom spot now and move onto next season hopefully with a new squad.

• Leo*

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM

cheers toon andy

• Leo*

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM

just read your comment bryan, you are totally right, the players should be commited to every game as much as possible

however i think that there is quotes leading up to these types of games because of mind games.

myself i think that the players should shut up and put their work on to the pitch

• Macca

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Gooderz
    Excuse my ignorance but what’s the worst trainer jersey about?

• Macca