The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan – Third Goal Was The Killer

8:56 pm, Saturday, February 23rd, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 102 Comments

Newcastle Manager Keegan talked after the match and admitted the second goal conceded just before half time wasn’t good, but the third goal was the killer this afternoon against Manchester United.

keegan_kevin_mcfc_profile_20041.jpg

Kevin Keegan
- 3rd goal was the killer

In the second half the 3rd goal was always going to be crucial and we didn’t get it.

This is what Kevin Keegan said after the game today:

“We went in at half-time 2-0 down and you can only sit down your players and tell them the truth: that the next goal is crucial.”“But Man United got the third goal and from that point on we didn’t give in and the players’ efforts were good, but the concentration and the confidence all kicked in.”

“The goals were very poor goals first half. “If we’d kept it at 1-0 you can come in at half-time and you can say to the guys the truth: we’ve done very well in most parts of the game. But you come in at 2-0 and you’ve got to get that next goal – and we didn’t.”

“I still believe we’ve got a good group of players here. And a win will make them better players.” “I think the players are making the effort. They’ve got beaten 5-1 but Manchester United can do that to anybody. They beat Arsenal 4-0 and it could have been more just a week ago.”

“They can do that – they’ve got players on the bench who could walk into any other Premier side.” “We mustn’t get carried away, even though it’s a bad defeat and 5-1 hurts.”

“We stuck at it, whereas at Aston Villa I thought our heads went down. But I don’t think our heads went down tonight.” “In our honesty and our genuineness I think we made mistakes.”

This doesn’t make things any better for us as far as relegation goes, although 3 teams beneath us all lost today. Now we’ll need to get those 12 points from our 11 remaining games. We’ve now gone 10 league games without a win, and there are 7 defeats in that sequence of games, which has to be the worst run we’ve ever had in the Premier League    :( :(

Hopefully we can start next week, when we are at home to Blackburn Rovers. They’re a good team but nowhere near as good as Manchester United – thank goodness.

Tags: Newcastle News

102 responses so far ↓

• 1 mikeygd // Feb 23, 2008 at 9:05 PM

im optimistic but i seriously think its going to go down to the last game of the season now, if we like it or not we have a struggle on our hands, we have some tough games ahead of us and i just dont think our team are capable of beating the likes of reading let alone liverpool and the likes.
    I prey to god we stay up and kevin cleans the lot out, i dont care anymore we need a fresh start. Emre gets injured too often, barton , butt and smith looked out of there depth and maybe the championship wud suit them more. The defending was shocking, i was looking forward to having faye back but he made a costly mistake and a few others that went unpunished. The only players i wud keep at this present in time is milner, beye and harper and the rest have to show keegan that there worth keeping as well from now until the end of the season. Oh and carrol loooked bright when he came on as well.

• 2 YankFanInNZ // Feb 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM

I wish I’d have known the roller coaster that Newcastle would put me through when I was picking a team to support a few years ago. I’d have saved myself a lot of stress and heartache.

Oh well…:lol:

(My first comment!)

• 3 Dragoner // Feb 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM

this man continues to highlight his sheer tactical ineptitude. If the third goal was the “killer” why did he wait until the “killer” goal went in before he made any changes!?

• 4 cloudstrife // Feb 23, 2008 at 9:47 PM

i remember when KK was appointed i hoped the day i’d call for him to go my heart would truly ache but i honestly think that the game has moved on too much for King Kev.

as other bloggers said, Ashley didnt have a plan when he fired Fat Sam. we know Fat Sam was a terrible manager, but let’s look at this logically. with the same squad, Fat Sam wouldnt have been hammered as we were at home today. if Sam was bad and wouldnt have lost this heavily, truly how bad is KK?

a great opportunity was missed when we re-appointed King Kev. when he leaves in tears, it will tarnish his great legacy.

the only problem will be the long time it will take before the ill fated second reign ends. Ashley will not want to fire the man. it will be both an admission he was wrong, and he will also be getting rid of ‘the messiah’.

i will never stop supporting Newcastle, but when will we get it right?

• 5 Mac // Feb 23, 2008 at 9:52 PM

You know what I am 29 years old, I have held a season ticket for NUFC since i was 13 i have served in the British Army for 8 years and kept my season ticket,met my wife and moved to Liverpool and still i have my season ticket. Today is the first time i can honestly say i didn’t care about the result. I gave my ticket to my Dad i didn’t travel i stayed at home watched the match, when the first went in i didn’t care the 2nd not interested even when we scored i didn’t jump out of my seat. This is the last message i will write in this blog and this season is the last i will retain my ticket. Good luck Newcastle I will miss you.

• 6 Dragoner // Feb 23, 2008 at 9:56 PM

no you wont MAC. You, like every other fan, will be overpowered in the summer and decide to retain your ticket, supporting nufc is like a curse you cant shift. ;)

• 7 Zx // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Mac, do not be disheartened, we lost to a very good team. You shouldn’t give up hope as long as the season is not over yet. Yes, we were poor, but things will change, eventually with time.

How bad are we right now? Not won for ages, but we are still at 13th spot. Look on the bright side. I believe our run of bad form cannot be worse than this. Things will improve, trust the club if you love the club.

• 8 hanzemre // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM

yeah Faye is already better as a striker than Smith now…lets play him upfront rather than shambolic Smith… Of course to KK’s liking Smith is to play in every match can put him in LB so he can make some tackles & break opponents’s legs & yet he know how to pass the ball backward.Butt is still good as he was at ManU so he can guarantee us safety with his presence on the pitch.Where is Enrique, KK?what happened? N’Zogbia is fine to play at LM/LW only as he is sick in LB. As KK admited it ‘we made mistakes’ that included him himself by favouring to play some lads we don’t even them to play for our reserve team let alone the 1st team.So KK must take actions by 1st kicking out Butt and Smith & play N’Zogbia in CM if Duff to play in LM/LW.He couldn’t be any worse than Butt.Play a fit Viduka or if not just put Carroll as he is young & hungry to prove himself any good.

• 9 Marcus // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM

I have to agree with you Mac 100%. I live in Canada and this is the first season that I just don’t even want to watch the games anymore, it’s even embarrassing being around so many MUFC and CFC fans that are not even sure where Manchester is located, never mind ever going to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge. I can’t imagine what the atmosphere is like in the town at the moment. People live and breathe NUFC, and what is there to look forward to when you don’t even expect your team to win anymore?? I am totally lost in what needs to be done, changes made, etc…..

Totally lost!!!

• 10 Dragoner // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM

the worst thing about today wasn’t the fact that we got smashed yet again. It was the realisation that others simply do not respect us in any way any more.

i went to the game with a few friends. one nufc supporter, two spurs, 2 man united and one arsenal. they didn’t laugh as each goal went in, instead the united supporter started feeling sorry for me and my mate and was trying to make us feel better. saying things like “dont worry man, you lot will be better next season” etc. That was probably the lowest feeling i have ever had since supporting nufc

After the fourth goal i also heard my mate say “they should stop now, its getting out of order” how embarrassing!

• 11 andyc290 // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Fair play to Kev for tryin to be positive and keep the players heads up but in all honesty the 1st goal was the killer cos were on a seriously bad run and we havent got it in us to fight back at the minute

• 12 cloudstrife // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Marcus

in my culture, we say a fish rots from the head. so changing players, tactics, training, nutrition… whatever, wont help if we’ve got the wrong person leading the club.

how long before the dissent by the fans towards KK begins?

• 13 jimmer // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:22 PM

now hopefully

• 14 milnerfan // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:27 PM

the worst thing about this situation is that normally teams in the dog fight at the bottom tend to dig in and try and grab points here and there like birmingham. However nufc dont seem like they need to, they are playing like there in middle table comfortably clear of religation. Wake up lads and start earning your wages! if the club goes down your all still contracted haha!

• 15 BILLY-B // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I cant wait till the end of the season and hopefully we are still in the PR. i dont care how they go on a free or some mug will pay money but Barton Smith Geremi Butt Caccapa Emre Viduka to name but a few have to go. Did anyone see barton complete a pass this afternoon what a waste of football space. I know he was not the only one but it will be quicker to name the players who at least tried—-Beye – Milner – Duff – Own who had to go so deep to find the ball he was nearly digging coal. Kevin somehow get us to the end of the season and the go and buy players who understand the game and can pass a football to a player in the same strip and you will need quite a few who know how to stop the other side

• 16 Leo* // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM

depressed. the ref was wank to say the least, only matched by barton and butt.

everytime we attacked they had a solid defence with two of their central midfielders right infront of the ball to stop us getting shots

they attack ours are running around like headless chickens, therefore our defence have to push up, and low and behold they have space in behind to run into, and with their pace, they did so everytime

• 17 keeganpleasecomeback // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Mac :
    A real supporter is strong when they are winning and loyal when they are losing…so you must be a twat…….im a geordie who moved to Australiawho last year – im getting up in the middle of the night to watch us getting hammered every week (and im married with kids) but still i cheer them on cause its my team……Together we fall……..Geordie 4ever……this time its not the managers fault we all know what he can do and what he’d done in the past…….this time it can only be the players.full stop

• 18 jimmer // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM

its pointless talking about players that should go. as long as keegan is manager were going nowhere. modern football doesnt have room for a manager who’s main attribute is this man management, arm around the shoulder shite.
    we need structure, tactics and confidence. none of these we’ll get from keegan.
    buy as many star players as possible in the summer but a lack of tactics will negate the best of talents.
    keegan out

• 19 Hadji // Feb 23, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Well i’m so glad that i havent watched any Newcastle’s game since 28 September cause of my work on the ships.
    And honestly…its better that i didn’t.

• 20 jimmer // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:06 PM

which ships hadji?

• 21 Dunc // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:14 PM

milnerfan,

They are all still contracted but how many would jump ship if we went down?

I don’t know who would take them but I know they would go.

I would take it as a blessing in disguise, but do we really want to go down before flushing the system of the rot we have in the ranks?

Kev says he will spend in the summer. Who would want to come to us in the Championship?

Paul Dickov???

We have hit this run at precisely the time when the teams around and below us have realised they need to fight. I just hope the Newcastle players realise it soon and drag some points in.

Although we looked decent going forward at times (especially when Manky sat off) there was NO end product. Not even nearly!!!!

No movement, no overlap, no thought, no making space to recieve the ball and impotent up front!!!!!!!

I don’t even want to think about the defense but I know that I will probably be having flashbacks come tomorrow.

The best things about today. Bobby Robson, Damien Duff, James Milner, Steve Harper and last but not least Nani and his Hollywood style acting skills. Learning from Ronaldo fast eh?

Taxi to the Oscars for Nani!!!! Cheating Fvck!!!!

• 22 CJ // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM

We might not be the worst team in the lge but we are by far the easiest team to beat and that could get us relegated along with playing Joey(disgraceful) Barton. It has got that bad we have got a recovering alcoholic in our starting 11.

• 23 Toon Andy // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I’ve skipped every comment since Mac’s and gone right to the box to make my own. Sorry to those of you who no doubt have made fantastic comments in the meantime.

I’m not from the NE, but I f**king love this club. I’ll never, ever apologise for that. I had the joy of watching today’s game with 7 Man Utd fans, randomly met in a Liverpool bar. 5 were from London, 1 from Thailand and 1 from Budapest. Strangely, the biggest question was why I don’t have a Geordie accent. Read into that what you will.

I was the only person who cared after it got to 2-0 to Man Utd. One of the Man Utd fans told me “If I was you, I’d have given in and gone home by now.”

I like to think that’s where we’re different. We’ll never give in and go home. This is Newcastle United FC, and we have some f***king pride. We’re the greatest football club this world has ever known and one day we’ll have the team to match it and they can all f***k off.

There’s some shit teams in this league and some even-more-shit fans. We’ll stay up if we stick together. Last time around, Keegan needed that before he changed things and this time will be the same.

Most “neutrals” have forgotten us getting to the last 16 of Champions League five years ago. I’ve not. You’ll never see a Mackem in Milan, and nor will you see an Evertonian, a Tottenham fan or a Blue Mancunian any time soon.

Just look at Bobby Robson before today’s game and tell me this isn’t a club worth fighting for. The sooner we, through our support, get this through to the players, the better.

We’re Newcastle United, we’re the only top-four side not to finish there for five years but we will be back.

Keep the faith.

• 24 toon_fan_83 // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:45 PM

We are possably the worst team in the Pl right now… we cant do nothing right and why cant they pass the ball oh my god, were shite…..
    as for KK i not so shure that hes the right man for us , i know hes one of us but i dont think that hes the solution to our problems

• 25 UTD111 // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I’m fed up listening to you whingers. Gutless the lot of you. Look – if you don’t want to support United then bugger off – we’re better off without u pathetic excuses for United fans.
    There were a lot of good performances out there today, but we were playing an exceptional team who hit top form. Get over it or bugger off.

• 26 CJ // Feb 23, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Utd111- Are you mental what are you doing sitting at home positive about the way the season has gone and happy about today’s result you lunatic going and bugger yourself or your boyfriend.

• 27 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Go boil yer heed CJ

• 28 wags // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:04 AM

i think like many times before the chairman may have not got the manager that he wanted. keegan was still an ok choice the fans got what they wanted some one that would play the way they wanted the games to be played. as for the bizz side of things they always say u wont make money till u spend some first but the money has to be spent in the right places going out in jan and spending big money on some big name would have been silly if u cant get what u want he dont spend for the sake of spending. everyone expected another chels ashly is diffrent to that he made all his money of his own back so hes not going to just give it away the players we needed now wernt around for the right price so none were bought simple there is anuf young talent in the reses to cover at the moment. the real prob is that the two managers that were aloud to spend money brought crap and sold of the more skillful player more to the point fat fred did robson had very good side that was a good base to work from then souness ripped it aprat emre being the exception roader wasnt given the backing to realy do a good job as far as fred was conserned he was a stop gap untill he could get big sam who continued the work of souness in making the the side that defensive minded that even now we cant get goals. i dont think that keegen was the first choice but he was the only one willing to have a go he wont fix things over nite and people have to relise that ashly is not going to let him spend money on big name players that cant be bothered playing like so many before young is the way to go

• 29 CJ // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Utd111- If we were doing well in the lge there would be no fan’s on here being negative.
    If we stay in the lge i am sure KK will get it right by moving on a lot of the current squad signing better palyer’s and sorting the whole club out.

You shouldn’t come on here and call people bad fan’s cos thay are being neagtive if your saying that your saying 90% of the fan’s are bad fan’s.

Why are you so positive do you actually go to the match. I like butter on my bread in the morning so remember that and just bring it up you half a head.

• 30 There's only one United // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM

United111. Being holier than thou again I see.

• 31 There's only one United // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM

CJ. He’s got a season ticket all right. Be gentle with him. It’s all he’s got.

• 32 CJ // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:22 AM

The only thing he has is half a brain he say’s be positive is he crazy.

• 33 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:24 AM

CJ – I’ve been going to the game since before you were even a twinkle in your daddy’s eye – and yes of course I was there today. All I’m reading in here is doom and gloom from a load of mostly armchair fans.
    You should have seen us when we were really crap – then you’d realise how far we have come.
    No I’m not happy about todays result. No I’m not happy about the season so far – but to come in here mouthin off about the team doesn’t help anybody. Any of the players listening to you “football experts” would think – “why do I bother puttin meself on the line for these whingers?”
    Point about today – you lot slag off Alan Smith. He played very well today. Were you watching????
    Keegan is the right manager. Ashley has the business acumen to take us to the next level and is bringing in good calibre people at director level.
    If you don’t agree – what are you doing here?

• 34 There's only one United // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Untd111. Did you wear your bobble hat today?. It WAS rather windy. Did you drive back to Alnwick straight after the match? Gosh I wonder how much your house is worth now.

• 35 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Sorry “only one” – whats my hat or my house got to do with anything – or you for that matter?

• 36 Dunc // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM

UTD111,

These are our remaining fixtures (and I can’t wait to get them and this season out the way)

Blackburn (H), Liverpool (A), Birmingham (A), Fulham (H), Tottenham(A), Reading(H), Portsmouth(A), Scumderland (H) West Ham(A), Chelsea(H), Everton(A).

On present form against any team where are we going to pick up points??

Fulham maybe…Chelsea if thier season is over by then and they don’t turn up?? Scumderland with nob ed Roy maybe… and Birmingham who managed a draw against Arseholenal with ten men from the 4th minute today.

There are no banked points in our run in. Yes it’s the same for other teams and I believe there are worse sides in the division. But on current form??

We need a win. Big time!!!!

It’s not whingeing, it’s concern. Are you not concerned??

• 37 Leo* // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM

bobble hat today… nah not needed today, wasnt cold enough

was actually quite warm in the stadium… except when the w@nkers in my row who cant get to the match on time, go down for a pint 10mins early, arrive after half time 20minutes late and leave early!!! makes me sick

these fans should be banned, not the ones who are upset after a match when we loose…

alan smith looked really good today, didnt get many decisions the right way for him, but worked hard and nearly got one, hopefully one goal and he will get a glut of them…

but as i have been saying for a long time nicky butt is ruining out club and the young players, they seeing him playing must make their heart sink because they will not know what to do to get into the team…

same goes for joey barton, does all these bad things and yet still welcomed back with open arms

rant over

• 38 CJ // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM

I agree Smith never had a bad game today but where has he been all season I have been saying give Carroll a start and today he showed a bit of quality we have been lacking he never lost the ball and Vidic and Ferdinand did not know how to handle him he would have more goals than Smith if he had been getting a start and wasn’t loaned out i forgot Smith has not SCORED YET.
    I also think KK will get it right but that doesn’t mean we are going to settle for 2nd best every game.

ALNWICK FOR SCOTLAND

• 39 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Dunc – I know – it looks hard. But the history of United tells us one thing if nothing else – we are capable of the unexpected. Would be good to beat Blackburn next week which would give us a good launching pad and build a bit of confidence. They’re no Man Utd – and there was more fight in our team today than theres been for quite a while

• 40 CJ // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Well said Dunc.

• 41 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Alnwick for Scotland – yes please CJ

• 42 Tom_Toon // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Carroll should start next game he’ll be against that big bugger samba and viduka doesnt turn up when we need him.

• 43 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:42 AM

CJ – totally agree about Carroll – he’s a real handful and upset their defence a lot in the time he got – wouldn’t be surprised if he starts next game

• 44 mikeygd // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM

well said wags, i dont no y everyones blaming keegan and calling for his head already, This is the donkeys on the pitches fault and the donkeys who have brought these players in which include, fat sam, fat fred, and souness.
    I agree that young is the way forward, just have to look at the job o’neil is doing.

• 45 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM

BTW “only one” – I don’t live in Alnwick

• 46 graham // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM

the third goal was a killer? What about the first when a leftvwinger was found wanting in a left backs position.

Has enrique come onto your wife or something keV? Play people in their positions instead of just making room for people

• 47 There's only one United // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:45 AM

UTD111. The reason bloggers are having a go at you is because you try to score points. Some of the kids on this site may never have been to SJP or will ever be able to afford a season ticket, but some of them know more about players than I ever will.

We take the p*ss out of our mates because they mean something to us and they do likewise. The toon takes the p*ss out of us, so we have every right to do likewise.

Stop defending the toon at all costs and people will start taking you seriously.

• 48 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM

“Only One” – I couldn’t give a hoot whether anyone in here “takes me seriously”.
    I’ve spent my whole life supporting Newcastle United – and there are loads of London gutter press and TV out there too happy to “take the piss” out of us.
    I expect that from them. I don’t expect it from United fans.

• 49 Tom_Toon // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:50 AM

We are as good as relegated, i just hope im wrong.

• 50 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:51 AM

There’s everything to play for Tom Toon

• 51 There's only one United // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:52 AM

UTD111@44 In that case son, be prepared for a life of dissapointment.

• 52 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:53 AM

OK Dad

• 53 Edd Case // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM

blah blah blah.
    Let’s get one thing straight.

Keegan AND the players are to blame for this latest comic sketch.

It’s not one or the other, it’s both.

Keegan is wrong for picking the likes of Butt, Taylor, Smith and even N’Zogbia.
    We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but we can only make our opinions on what we see.

What I see is those four players in particular, not performing and actually helping our current downward spiral.

I mean just look at N’Zogbia’s performance. He’s not a left back, we all know that, but you’d have thought he’d have given a more professional account of himself, given that it was Man Utd we were playing – but no. Sooner he goes the better.
    Smith, I’m just so sick of saying it, week in, week out – why is he starting? He passes the ball to Rooney, who promptly smashes it past the hapless Harps.
    Butt is way, way past his sell by date.

Geremi must be a starter – even if he is as bad in most matches.

I desperately don’t want us to go down, and I honestly don’t thin we will – but 15th or 16th place is, assuming we actually finish there, appauling.

• 54 Nicky Butt is crap! // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM

an utter and complete disgrace.. the real killer was enrique and viduka not making the squad! kk is clueless and even if he gets us out of this i cant see him building on anything next season. i think we can all agree we love kk, but how on earth can there be sentimental value in football… him being brilliant a decade ago isnt going to take us where we need to be… how about someone with the know howon current football affairs…. a manager who is bound for glory…. mark hughes maybe… and short of about 4 players id fcuk all our current squad off to the mackems, im still livid!

• 55 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Like you said Edd – blah blah blah

• 56 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:00 AM

“KK is clueless” – good job we’ve got experts like you around then Mate

• 57 Nicky Butt is crap! // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM

yeah damn right, im sorry but he isnt upto date with current football affairs and im saying what alot of people think,believe me

• 58 Gloryhunter // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM

I knew we’d get beat, but it’s still fing hurting. I’m half-cut, I’ve got to be at work for 08:00, the pain’s like fing toothache. Smith and Given – I don’t want to fing read interviews with Anal fing Oliver in the Comical on Monday. I’m surrounded by fing maccums and I have to defend that fing sick joke of a performance. I’m going to kip on the settee. :(

• 59 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Great! another Guardian reader LOL

• 60 Dunc // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM

UTD

This line “” we are capable of the unexpected””

Is one of the reasons I love em.

I forgot to put Blackburn in.

I am optimistic about that game for some reason.

We need to nick a win. Even if it’s lucky as hell, it’s a win. If the players remember what that is like by getting one, I think they could push on and pick up a few more points, which I also believe will be enough. It can’t be too big a points tally that’ll keep a team up this season.

They say 40, but I think that teams could survive with less this term.

It’s like standing on someone elses head to keep yours above water isn’t it.

Either way this (for me) is going to be a nervy run in.

• 61 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:05 AM

I’ve had to do that as well Glory Hunter – work with Mackems I mean, not sleep on the couch. Just tell em to talk to you when they can actually fill their “Stadium of Empty Seats” LOL

• 62 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Yer like a breath of fresh air Dunc

• 63 Tom_Toon // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM

35 is enough this year, but i dont think we will get that many.

• 64 Dunc // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:10 AM

I’m not!!!!

I stink of Brown Ale :)

• 65 Dunc // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Oh and calling a jumped up tuna tin a stadium is going a bit far UTD

• 66 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:13 AM

My apologies Dunc – I stand corrected. It came in flat packs you know ;O)

• 67 Dunc // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Yep… from the John West recycling department!!!!!

• 68 Nicky Butt is crap! // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:17 AM

tom toon i hate to be negative but i agree mate, 35 may be a big ask at the mo

• 69 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Hey c’mon everybody! The best thing to do is blow Blackburn into the weeds and take it from there. Its time to close ranks and get behind the Lads – we’re the best in the business at doing that – lets show the whole country what United fans are capable of.
    Night

• 70 marcus owen // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:50 AM

I think the first goal is the killer instead of the third goal. Just look at N’Zogbia, no way he can play left back. This is not the first time he get caught and caused us the game.

If KK still refuse to explain the way he select the team, then I don’t mind to change another manager by the end of the season. Very very disappointed with him.

If somebody come to you and tells you that you are wrong, you may think you are right because of your self-belief, you can even think the somebody is an idiot. But, if so many tells you that you are wrong, if you still think that you are right, then you are an idiot.

• 71 Noxx // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:54 AM

I just think some ppl in the current squad does not deserve to put on the Newcastle Jersery. Hope KK will realise in double quick time that some are not pulling their weight and has been given enough chances to prove themselves. Time to Unleash the Rage KK!

• 72 obafemimartins // Feb 24, 2008 at 1:56 AM

us being relegated could be a blessing in disguise because we could get rid of our over payed donkeys that call themselves professional footballers and build a new team from scratch.

• 73 UTD111 // Feb 24, 2008 at 2:09 AM

The Man U fans are in LOL

• 74 Denz // Feb 24, 2008 at 2:45 AM

I agree with obafemimartins…we go down and all senior players will leave us so we can play with our young players who still have ambition to win and success ..Keegan will be sacked and Shearer will takeover. He will bring us back to PL and that’s the beginning of our successful story…

• 75 ScottyT // Feb 24, 2008 at 3:06 AM

well i predicted a 4-0 romp for them and i was right. painful to watch i also said again right its such an awful site just seeing us beeing ripped apart with ease by all teams taylor had an absolute shocker 2day and harper should have started in the first place. another thing why was viduka not even involved 2day no reports of an injury find it very weird.

we really are going to struggle to stay up i really believe that now. for once tomorrow when reading play aston villa we are going to be desperately hoping for reading to get beat which is soo pathetic considering the amount of money we generate and the fan support we have, to be in the same leagues as the likes of reading wigan bolton birmingham fulham m**kems boro is embarassing really.

also why the f**k do we consistently start with joey barton?! he is absolutely feckin shite man!! not to mention jail sentences to serve plz jst release the thug hes shit! we also play a striker who hasnt scored for 2 years .. wtf man?!?!

as usual i was one of a few who stayed right till the final whistle and it really is a sad sight when for about 5 or 6 games this season ive been able to stretch me legs out infront of the next 2 rows due to empty seats. i mean 52,000 again 2day and we get served up with another brutal beating. defensively today we were absolutely shocking! i say give edgar a chance and where is enrique just give the lad a chance!

well finally this is going to be a really tense and nervous ending to the season as i really do believe it is going to be a struggle staying up as we dont create anything going forward and leak unbelievable amounts of goals in at the back. 0 points from the next 2 either fulham home reading home m**kems home have to be wins birmingham away may be different as we are shite away. such sad times :(

• 76 ScottyT // Feb 24, 2008 at 3:19 AM

why the f***k is barton still at our football club he is absoutely f**kin shite man!!! not to mention his jail sentence waiting for him please som1 release this thug. just heard hes banned for liverpool game .. best bit of news all day :)

the game 2day zog isnt a defender and hes cost the 1st goal, taylor has had a shocker 2day he was awful! harper should always have started and where was viduka today?

we play a striker who hasnt scored in 2 years we really are going to struggle to stay up yet again a big crowd and yet again i stayed till the end to watch us surrender our defense. for about the 5th or 6th time this season i was able to stretch my legs out infront of the next 2 rows of seats due to people leaving early it really does show how bad we have been.

sad times being in the same category of the likes of bolton wigan reading birmingham fulham m**kems boro its pathetic really will we stay up after watching our defense today id say its going to be very diffuclt to stay up. 52,000 and another hammering thats toon fans for ya wat do we get .. f***k all but we’ll be there next week

• 77 AdamCF // Feb 24, 2008 at 4:34 AM

I’m starting to think that new players won’t make any difference to the side. I think the management is shite and a huge mistake has been made. (And the mistake started when Bobby was sacked.) I’m not sure what can be done.

• 78 AdamCF // Feb 24, 2008 at 4:35 AM

Sorry Oba.. I can say that relegation can be a blessing, mate. Just don’t play the donkeys. I couldn’t give 2 shits as to whether it affects clauses in contracts, because, frankly the team is at the stage when contracts mean nought.

• 79 beright // Feb 24, 2008 at 4:43 AM

I thought we looked good the first half, we just dont know how to score in hte final 3rd. ManU just put there chances away with some new signing and i hope alot of new signing we will be fine

• 80 scotty // Feb 24, 2008 at 4:47 AM

All those in favour of a season ticket refund sign the dotted line …………………….

I have never been a one for leaving the game early but this season i have to admit i have done it on a few occasions.

I work 60 hours per week as a mechanic including Saturdays and my only personal realease from that tough week is going to watch NUFC.

I have hit an all time low. I feel sick, depressed, annoyed, robbed, embarrassed, confused and unhappy about the overall team performance over the last few months.

Personally, i don’t understand why other bloggers are protecting the likes of Butt, Smith, Barton, Given, blah blah blah. These players are either stale or just not good enough to play in the PL. Given’s kicking today was absolutely shocking – he’d be one of my first out of the door come the summer.

We turn up come rain, hail or shine and they can’t be bothered to play football so why should we be bothered to watch them?

KK has to change his team selection FAST – before the Toon army faithful turn on him!

I am honestly starting to think that MA is picking the team he wants to play and not the manager – as KK’s selections are identical to FSA. Probably the root cause in leading to his dismissal………..

Carroll looked strong when he came on and i only hope he gets a chance, along with some of the other lads in the reserves.

• 81 Aviluck // Feb 24, 2008 at 4:55 AM

Smith plays, Newcastle loses. It’s simple as that. I dont know what he’s seen in him. The Messiah is back with Smith as His Messiah. Keep it up.

• 82 AdamCF // Feb 24, 2008 at 4:58 AM

Smith must have photos of Keegs doing something with animals.

• 83 geordie_jordan // Feb 24, 2008 at 6:24 AM

as poor as we played in the 2nd half, as poor as kk’s team selection was, etc. etc.
    who thought we would get any points from this one??
    we just have to suck it up and move on to next week, a VITAL VITAL VITAL match with rovers…

• 84 A geordiedoonsooth // Feb 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM

The post from Mac shows he isn’t a REAL fan only glory hunters give up. I’ve supported Newcastle UNITED for 52 years & have seen times a lot worse than this. Getting relegated in 61 getting relegated later in the 70′s then again in the late 80′s & when Keegan came the 1st time as manager we were nearly relegated to the old 3rd division. We all need to stay true & focused the fans as well as the team. Wait until the summer & let’s see what players & backroom staff are brought in. By the way I thought the fans were fantastic yesterday. KEEP THE FAITH

• 85 Sandy McNair // Feb 24, 2008 at 6:42 AM

Can anybody tell me if Duff has actually beat a defender on a one to one situation, since his return to fitness. I would rather we have Zog up front a duff at the back (if we have needed). duff seem lacking in pace, creativity and confidence (and zog none of these things).

I would like to see a more penatrating runs by both of our wingers. The cant get past full backs dispite all their efforts. When they cant get past the defence our striker becomes flat footed and that is no good if we are going to use owen up front. (strikeforce ommited as smith is up front). Example Downing goal and run.

I really enjoyed the first 90 seconds.

Both Man Utd and Arsenal have the qickest passing movement from front to back (excluding big thumps) in the league.Could there be something in this passing thingy??

• 86 geordie in taipei // Feb 24, 2008 at 7:19 AM

No more BUTT , NO more SMITH….and put ZOGS on the bench please Kev. Butt is useless, smith is terrible….and zogs just wont pass and gets caught out too much. Duff is the only one trying,,,,bless him !

• 87 wags // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:00 AM

duff was better this game but he is still to slow he isnt able to get passed other players anymore zogs has proven before whengiven a chance in the right position hes one of the best player on the ground. If anyone thinks that we can get a better manager than kk they are kidding them selfs it wont happen not at the moment most managers would look at the size of the 1st team and turn awayits going to take time. robson fin 13th in first season and then got better kk has had the worst run of games to take over in theres been no chance to build confidance

• 88 hanzemre // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM

i do think a win is what we are long due to spur confidence level of these players (some might say donkeys). Alan Smith did well this time such an improvement but he still didn’t score in as many games (a goal will do him good). So we are better to start with Carroll-Owen for Blackburn game considering Martin & Viduka are still out injured.Many fans have had enough with Barton,Butt in CM/DM & N’Zogbia in LB as they were crap in as many games.Use someone better & in their preferred roles. Where is Enrique when many of us think he did really well when playing. Terrible players’ selections + mystery like this would cost us dear ..hope not so but am just desperate for a win soon can turn us back on right direction .

• 89 Sandy McNair // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Agreed, Duff tries very hard (as I thought both our wingers did), but there is something lacking in duffs play at the moment, in time I am sure he will be a very valuble player but at this time, points are too scarce to carry passengers. Even with Zogs issues he is still the best for the position. If we dont keep zogs some other team will turn him into a star.

I think the team is generally playing better (and we all know the reasons for the mistakes at the back), and confidence in the team ability is becoming better. A couple of wins will do a lot for the team spirit and we will be less likely to crumble when the other team scores.

I hindsight, it appears that CM was too hasty in sacking BSA, as we may have scraped a few points more in this tough fixture period. All in all, I fully support the dismissal of BSA and will keep the faith in Keegan.

Just play the players where they are suited (Zog), Get rid of deadwood (Smith +++) and play the team that is going to get the points on the board with some goals (Duke & Owen). Blend the experiance with Youth (Taylor & Cacapa), (Butt (till end of season) & Barton (till he goes to jail)), Simple!!

• 90 Davie // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Tell you what guys… if you can honestly look at our fixture list and look at the next team that we can win give me a shout! we ARE the worst team in the league in 2008, I’m sick to death of all this… I have a seasion ticket and I haven’t been to a match for 5 month now… not even giving my ticket to anyone! lost interest, sick of crapy players, managers out of there depth, and the worst defence in england… I’d say 90% of the championship can defend better that the toon. F**king sick…

• 91 Eric // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Edd Case is right. Both players and management are to blame. As soon as I saw Butt, Barton and Smith in the team it was a foregone conclusion. When Manky Utd (who are a bloody good team) have two of our players plus the referee on their side they could not avoid victory. Harper should have started. Come on KK. We have got the players but not the ones and the line-up you picked. Did you see Ronaldo after he scored? Those beckoning gestures – it was “Come and cuddle me my boys”. What an arrogant tosser!

• 92 Cyprus Mag // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I still think we have some decent players but we aren’t getting the best out of them either in terms of contribution, tactics or motivation. While KK is capable of the latter no-one could expect him to contribute much in terms of coaching, that was Pearson’s job and he failed completely during his 2 years or so at Newcastle. Unfortunately his replacement hasn’t got much time to put things right and this is the only area we have the possibility to improve to avoid relegation.
    I’m depressed.

• 93 Cyprus Mag // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I watched the game in a pub in Paphos. What really sickened me was the people around me who were laughing at us ….and they weren’t even Manure fans!

• 94 ronaldeano // Feb 24, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Fact is we were well beaten by a side who are the ELITE of world football, ANY side in the world would struggle against them. I fully expected us to get beat yesterday and i was right, but at least we were better than we were at old trafford. It shows the level that they are at, and the level that we want to return to. We have the manager to do it because he has done it before and he WILL do it again, we just have to keep positive and prey we avoid the drop and in the summer, watch KK build HIS team, then we will be out of this horible shitty mess we are in. KEEP THE FAITH !!!!!

• 95 ronaldeano // Feb 24, 2008 at 10:16 AM

The defence is the one thing KK will be concentrating on because yesterday was schoolboy stuff, we gave the ball away FAR to easy

• 96 CRAIGG // Feb 24, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I went yesterday and as always the abuse aimed at milner on this site is totally misplaced he put a string of dangerous crosses in the box and no one was anywhere near
    what games are some of you watching if you dont see these things?????

And Also when people say i dont want to support the toon anymore cuz were playing badly well you can f**k yourselves and attach yourselves to someone elses team cuz real fans of united have hit a lot lower lows than this before trust me and never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever doubt the real special one King Kev. We will get 14 points, stay up and next season we owe Essex and Devons Fave team one after our 11-1 aggregate score this year.

• 97 Obafan // Feb 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM

KK his comments start to annoy me as much as SA his comments.

1. Emre is the defence opener => bench
    2. Smith is his guy => why? to pass the ball back to our defence
    3. This football club is massive => so proove it!!
    4. we need 1 win; first we need descent tactics that might lead to a win
    5. Barton is a guy that I will protect => to share a few drinks with or what
    6. the 3rd goal killed us => no first your team selection was poor (very poor) and the first goal killed us!!!

Stop giving stupid comments, but start to work to get us another 12 points.

If I think we need that much points; it really scares me.

• 98 Obafan // Feb 24, 2008 at 5:11 PM

CRAIGG – here we go again. Milner made a few fantastic dribbles and what happened then:
    1. he dribbled himself
    2. he kicked the ball without knowing where it would end up
    3. head in the ground and making things far too difficult

The most irritating thing about Milner yesterday was the fact that he made a fantastic dribble (really) and then just had to pass the ball across to Duff, who would always have scored, but no “intelligent” James tried to fire a shot. Well done son, you won us a corner kick. He is a f*cking fool and I’m fed up with him.

We always put the question about our defence and central arae (correctly), but what about our wingers;
    N’Zogbia (okay plays as LB, but once he had a shot chance, but no waiting and dribbling and in the end slipping away => goal kick to VDSar)
    Duff very hard for him to find a good rhythm in such a bad team
    Milner one of the most promising players as RW (according to a few here); but he has the football knowledge of a marble.

• 99 CRAIGG // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM

It dont really matter what you write on some online blog the only ones who can really force out a player are the boo boys in the stadium (Me not included) they aint on Milners back yet because he dont deserve it, the boy deserves respect he is 22 the same age as N’Zogbia. Much more consistent than the moody french mard arse ( Who avoids critisism for an unknown reason) and also doesnt try and jump ship every bad patch we hit and doesnt moan when he doesnt play, Because he was dropped plenty of times by Roeder in favour of Dyer (Mr I dont like playing on the right for newcastle but i can would willingly play on the left for england) last season despite being easily our best player all season but never moaned just got on with it and along with a select few (Martins and Taylor included) the boy is class and we love him
    loyal Toon fans that is not people like black caesar, dragoner or tom_toon.

• 100 Tom_Toon // Feb 24, 2008 at 8:57 PM

we are loyal because we will support NEWCASTLE no matter what, but we are also logical and realistic and also not romantasists

• 101 CRAIGG // Feb 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Tom_Toon maybe i was a bit harsh on you including you in that trio but You cannot call black caesar and dragoner realistic they just come on to have a go at people and take he piss out of peoples views and favoured personnel

• 102 Dragoner // Feb 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Craigg you are a deluded idiot. and i truly mean that. Who else would have hired keegan? that says it all you prat! “favoured personal” lol! get out of the past and get up to speed with the premiership. HE RAN A CIRCUS!!! EVERYONE ELSE IS LAUGHING AT NUFC RIGHT NOW! i didnt here much “applause” when we lost the last few games under keegan, did you? you know what i heard? laughter and mockery. fool

previous post: Painful Observations on Newcastle Red Devils Game