Keegan – Third Goal Was The Killer

Newcastle Manager Keegan talked after the match and admitted the second goal conceded just before half time wasn’t good, but the third goal was the killer this afternoon against Manchester United.

keegan_kevin_mcfc_profile_20041.jpg

Kevin Keegan
– 3rd goal was the killer

In the second half the 3rd goal was always going to be crucial and we didn’t get it.

This is what Kevin Keegan said after the game today:

“We went in at half-time 2-0 down and you can only sit down your players and tell them the truth: that the next goal is crucial.”“But Man United got the third goal and from that point on we didn’t give in and the players’ efforts were good, but the concentration and the confidence all kicked in.”

“The goals were very poor goals first half. “If we’d kept it at 1-0 you can come in at half-time and you can say to the guys the truth: we’ve done very well in most parts of the game. But you come in at 2-0 and you’ve got to get that next goal – and we didn’t.”

“I still believe we’ve got a good group of players here. And a win will make them better players.” “I think the players are making the effort. They’ve got beaten 5-1 but Manchester United can do that to anybody. They beat Arsenal 4-0 and it could have been more just a week ago.”

“They can do that – they’ve got players on the bench who could walk into any other Premier side.” “We mustn’t get carried away, even though it’s a bad defeat and 5-1 hurts.”

“We stuck at it, whereas at Aston Villa I thought our heads went down. But I don’t think our heads went down tonight.” “In our honesty and our genuineness I think we made mistakes.”

This doesn’t make things any better for us as far as relegation goes, although 3 teams beneath us all lost today. Now we’ll need to get those 12 points from our 11 remaining games. We’ve now gone 10 league games without a win, and there are 7 defeats in that sequence of games, which has to be the worst run we’ve ever had in the Premier League    🙁 🙁

Hopefully we can start next week, when we are at home to Blackburn Rovers. They’re a good team but nowhere near as good as Manchester United – thank goodness.

• mikeygd

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:05 PM

im optimistic but i seriously think its going to go down to the last game of the season now, if we like it or not we have a struggle on our hands, we have some tough games ahead of us and i just dont think our team are capable of beating the likes of reading let alone liverpool and the likes.
    I prey to god we stay up and kevin cleans the lot out, i dont care anymore we need a fresh start. Emre gets injured too often, barton , butt and smith looked out of there depth and maybe the championship wud suit them more. The defending was shocking, i was looking forward to having faye back but he made a costly mistake and a few others that went unpunished. The only players i wud keep at this present in time is milner, beye and harper and the rest have to show keegan that there worth keeping as well from now until the end of the season. Oh and carrol loooked bright when he came on as well.

• YankFanInNZ

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM

I wish I’d have known the roller coaster that Newcastle would put me through when I was picking a team to support a few years ago. I’d have saved myself a lot of stress and heartache.

Oh well…:lol:

(My first comment!)

• Dragoner

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM

this man continues to highlight his sheer tactical ineptitude. If the third goal was the “killer” why did he wait until the “killer” goal went in before he made any changes!?

• cloudstrife

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:47 PM

i remember when KK was appointed i hoped the day i’d call for him to go my heart would truly ache but i honestly think that the game has moved on too much for King Kev.

as other bloggers said, Ashley didnt have a plan when he fired Fat Sam. we know Fat Sam was a terrible manager, but let’s look at this logically. with the same squad, Fat Sam wouldnt have been hammered as we were at home today. if Sam was bad and wouldnt have lost this heavily, truly how bad is KK?

a great opportunity was missed when we re-appointed King Kev. when he leaves in tears, it will tarnish his great legacy.

the only problem will be the long time it will take before the ill fated second reign ends. Ashley will not want to fire the man. it will be both an admission he was wrong, and he will also be getting rid of ‘the messiah’.

i will never stop supporting Newcastle, but when will we get it right?

• Mac

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:52 PM

You know what I am 29 years old, I have held a season ticket for NUFC since i was 13 i have served in the British Army for 8 years and kept my season ticket,met my wife and moved to Liverpool and still i have my season ticket. Today is the first time i can honestly say i didn’t care about the result. I gave my ticket to my Dad i didn’t travel i stayed at home watched the match, when the first went in i didn’t care the 2nd not interested even when we scored i didn’t jump out of my seat. This is the last message i will write in this blog and this season is the last i will retain my ticket. Good luck Newcastle I will miss you.

• Dragoner

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:56 PM

no you wont MAC. You, like every other fan, will be overpowered in the summer and decide to retain your ticket, supporting nufc is like a curse you cant shift. 😉

• Zx

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Mac, do not be disheartened, we lost to a very good team. You shouldn’t give up hope as long as the season is not over yet. Yes, we were poor, but things will change, eventually with time.

How bad are we right now? Not won for ages, but we are still at 13th spot. Look on the bright side. I believe our run of bad form cannot be worse than this. Things will improve, trust the club if you love the club.

• hanzemre

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM

yeah Faye is already better as a striker than Smith now…lets play him upfront rather than shambolic Smith… Of course to KK’s liking Smith is to play in every match can put him in LB so he can make some tackles & break opponents’s legs & yet he know how to pass the ball backward.Butt is still good as he was at ManU so he can guarantee us safety with his presence on the pitch.Where is Enrique, KK?what happened? N’Zogbia is fine to play at LM/LW only as he is sick in LB. As KK admited it ‘we made mistakes’ that included him himself by favouring to play some lads we don’t even them to play for our reserve team let alone the 1st team.So KK must take actions by 1st kicking out Butt and Smith & play N’Zogbia in CM if Duff to play in LM/LW.He couldn’t be any worse than Butt.Play a fit Viduka or if not just put Carroll as he is young & hungry to prove himself any good.

• Marcus

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM

I have to agree with you Mac 100%. I live in Canada and this is the first season that I just don’t even want to watch the games anymore, it’s even embarrassing being around so many MUFC and CFC fans that are not even sure where Manchester is located, never mind ever going to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge. I can’t imagine what the atmosphere is like in the town at the moment. People live and breathe NUFC, and what is there to look forward to when you don’t even expect your team to win anymore?? I am totally lost in what needs to be done, changes made, etc…..

Totally lost!!!

• Dragoner

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM

the worst thing about today wasn’t the fact that we got smashed yet again. It was the realisation that others simply do not respect us in any way any more.

i went to the game with a few friends. one nufc supporter, two spurs, 2 man united and one arsenal. they didn’t laugh as each goal went in, instead the united supporter started feeling sorry for me and my mate and was trying to make us feel better. saying things like “dont worry man, you lot will be better next season” etc. That was probably the lowest feeling i have ever had since supporting nufc

After the fourth goal i also heard my mate say “they should stop now, its getting out of order” how embarrassing!

• andyc290

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Fair play to Kev for tryin to be positive and keep the players heads up but in all honesty the 1st goal was the killer cos were on a seriously bad run and we havent got it in us to fight back at the minute

• cloudstrife

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Marcus

in my culture, we say a fish rots from the head. so changing players, tactics, training, nutrition… whatever, wont help if we’ve got the wrong person leading the club.

how long before the dissent by the fans towards KK begins?

• jimmer

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:22 PM

now hopefully

• milnerfan

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:27 PM

the worst thing about this situation is that normally teams in the dog fight at the bottom tend to dig in and try and grab points here and there like birmingham. However nufc dont seem like they need to, they are playing like there in middle table comfortably clear of religation. Wake up lads and start earning your wages! if the club goes down your all still contracted haha!

• BILLY-B

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I cant wait till the end of the season and hopefully we are still in the PR. i dont care how they go on a free or some mug will pay money but Barton Smith Geremi Butt Caccapa Emre Viduka to name but a few have to go. Did anyone see barton complete a pass this afternoon what a waste of football space. I know he was not the only one but it will be quicker to name the players who at least tried—-Beye – Milner – Duff – Own who had to go so deep to find the ball he was nearly digging coal. Kevin somehow get us to the end of the season and the go and buy players who understand the game and can pass a football to a player in the same strip and you will need quite a few who know how to stop the other side

• Leo*

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM

depressed. the ref was wank to say the least, only matched by barton and butt.

everytime we attacked they had a solid defence with two of their central midfielders right infront of the ball to stop us getting shots

they attack ours are running around like headless chickens, therefore our defence have to push up, and low and behold they have space in behind to run into, and with their pace, they did so everytime

• keeganpleasecomeback

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Mac :
    A real supporter is strong when they are winning and loyal when they are losing…so you must be a twat…….im a geordie who moved to Australiawho last year – im getting up in the middle of the night to watch us getting hammered every week (and im married with kids) but still i cheer them on cause its my team……Together we fall……..Geordie 4ever……this time its not the managers fault we all know what he can do and what he’d done in the past…….this time it can only be the players.full stop

• jimmer

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM

its pointless talking about players that should go. as long as keegan is manager were going nowhere. modern football doesnt have room for a manager who’s main attribute is this man management, arm around the shoulder shite.
    we need structure, tactics and confidence. none of these we’ll get from keegan.
    buy as many star players as possible in the summer but a lack of tactics will negate the best of talents.
    keegan out

• Hadji

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Well i’m so glad that i havent watched any Newcastle’s game since 28 September cause of my work on the ships.
    And honestly…its better that i didn’t.

• jimmer

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:06 PM

which ships hadji?

• Dunc

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:14 PM

milnerfan,

They are all still contracted but how many would jump ship if we went down?

I don’t know who would take them but I know they would go.

I would take it as a blessing in disguise, but do we really want to go down before flushing the system of the rot we have in the ranks?

Kev says he will spend in the summer. Who would want to come to us in the Championship?

Paul Dickov???

We have hit this run at precisely the time when the teams around and below us have realised they need to fight. I just hope the Newcastle players realise it soon and drag some points in.

Although we looked decent going forward at times (especially when Manky sat off) there was NO end product. Not even nearly!!!!

No movement, no overlap, no thought, no making space to recieve the ball and impotent up front!!!!!!!

I don’t even want to think about the defense but I know that I will probably be having flashbacks come tomorrow.

The best things about today. Bobby Robson, Damien Duff, James Milner, Steve Harper and last but not least Nani and his Hollywood style acting skills. Learning from Ronaldo fast eh?

Taxi to the Oscars for Nani!!!! Cheating Fvck!!!!

• CJ

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM

We might not be the worst team in the lge but we are by far the easiest team to beat and that could get us relegated along with playing Joey(disgraceful) Barton. It has got that bad we have got a recovering alcoholic in our starting 11.

• Toon Andy

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I’ve skipped every comment since Mac’s and gone right to the box to make my own. Sorry to those of you who no doubt have made fantastic comments in the meantime.

I’m not from the NE, but I f**king love this club. I’ll never, ever apologise for that. I had the joy of watching today’s game with 7 Man Utd fans, randomly met in a Liverpool bar. 5 were from London, 1 from Thailand and 1 from Budapest. Strangely, the biggest question was why I don’t have a Geordie accent. Read into that what you will.

I was the only person who cared after it got to 2-0 to Man Utd. One of the Man Utd fans told me “If I was you, I’d have given in and gone home by now.”

I like to think that’s where we’re different. We’ll never give in and go home. This is Newcastle United FC, and we have some f***king pride. We’re the greatest football club this world has ever known and one day we’ll have the team to match it and they can all f***k off.

There’s some shit teams in this league and some even-more-shit fans. We’ll stay up if we stick together. Last time around, Keegan needed that before he changed things and this time will be the same.

Most “neutrals” have forgotten us getting to the last 16 of Champions League five years ago. I’ve not. You’ll never see a Mackem in Milan, and nor will you see an Evertonian, a Tottenham fan or a Blue Mancunian any time soon.

Just look at Bobby Robson before today’s game and tell me this isn’t a club worth fighting for. The sooner we, through our support, get this through to the players, the better.

We’re Newcastle United, we’re the only top-four side not to finish there for five years but we will be back.

Keep the faith.

• toon_fan_83

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:45 PM

We are possably the worst team in the Pl right now… we cant do nothing right and why cant they pass the ball oh my god, were shite…..
    as for KK i not so shure that hes the right man for us , i know hes one of us but i dont think that hes the solution to our problems

• UTD111

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I’m fed up listening to you whingers. Gutless the lot of you. Look – if you don’t want to support United then bugger off – we’re better off without u pathetic excuses for United fans.
    There were a lot of good performances out there today, but we were playing an exceptional team who hit top form. Get over it or bugger off.

• CJ

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Utd111- Are you mental what are you doing sitting at home positive about the way the season has gone and happy about today’s result you lunatic going and bugger yourself or your boyfriend.

• UTD111

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Go boil yer heed CJ

• wags

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:04 AM

i think like many times before the chairman may have not got the manager that he wanted. keegan was still an ok choice the fans got what they wanted some one that would play the way they wanted the games to be played. as for the bizz side of things they always say u wont make money till u spend some first but the money has to be spent in the right places going out in jan and spending big money on some big name would have been silly if u cant get what u want he dont spend for the sake of spending. everyone expected another chels ashly is diffrent to that he made all his money of his own back so hes not going to just give it away the players we needed now wernt around for the right price so none were bought simple there is anuf young talent in the reses to cover at the moment. the real prob is that the two managers that were aloud to spend money brought crap and sold of the more skillful player more to the point fat fred did robson had very good side that was a good base to work from then souness ripped it aprat emre being the exception roader wasnt given the backing to realy do a good job as far as fred was conserned he was a stop gap untill he could get big sam who continued the work of souness in making the the side that defensive minded that even now we cant get goals. i dont think that keegen was the first choice but he was the only one willing to have a go he wont fix things over nite and people have to relise that ashly is not going to let him spend money on big name players that cant be bothered playing like so many before young is the way to go

• CJ

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Utd111- If we were doing well in the lge there would be no fan’s on here being negative.
    If we stay in the lge i am sure KK will get it right by moving on a lot of the current squad signing better palyer’s and sorting the whole club out.

You shouldn’t come on here and call people bad fan’s cos thay are being neagtive if your saying that your saying 90% of the fan’s are bad fan’s.

Why are you so positive do you actually go to the match. I like butter on my bread in the morning so remember that and just bring it up you half a head.

• There's only one United

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM

United111. Being holier than thou again I see.

• There's only one United

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM

CJ. He’s got a season ticket all right. Be gentle with him. It’s all he’s got.

• CJ

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:22 AM

The only thing he has is half a brain he say’s be positive is he crazy.

• UTD111

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:24 AM

CJ – I’ve been going to the game since before you were even a twinkle in your daddy’s eye – and yes of course I was there today. All I’m reading in here is doom and gloom from a load of mostly armchair fans.
    You should have seen us when we were really crap – then you’d realise how far we have come.
    No I’m not happy about todays result. No I’m not happy about the season so far – but to come in here mouthin off about the team doesn’t help anybody. Any of the players listening to you “football experts” would think – “why do I bother puttin meself on the line for these whingers?”
    Point about today – you lot slag off Alan Smith. He played very well today. Were you watching????
    Keegan is the right manager. Ashley has the business acumen to take us to the next level and is bringing in good calibre people at director level.
    If you don’t agree – what are you doing here?

• There's only one United

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Untd111. Did you wear your bobble hat today?. It WAS rather windy. Did you drive back to Alnwick straight after the match? Gosh I wonder how much your house is worth now.

• UTD111

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Sorry “only one” – whats my hat or my house got to do with anything – or you for that matter?

• Dunc

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM

UTD111,

These are our remaining fixtures (and I can’t wait to get them and this season out the way)

Blackburn (H), Liverpool (A), Birmingham (A), Fulham (H), Tottenham(A), Reading(H), Portsmouth(A), Scumderland (H) West Ham(A), Chelsea(H), Everton(A).

On present form against any team where are we going to pick up points??

Fulham maybe…Chelsea if thier season is over by then and they don’t turn up?? Scumderland with nob ed Roy maybe… and Birmingham who managed a draw against Arseholenal with ten men from the 4th minute today.

There are no banked points in our run in. Yes it’s the same for other teams and I believe there are worse sides in the division. But on current form??

We need a win. Big time!!!!

It’s not whingeing, it’s concern. Are you not concerned??

• Leo*

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM

bobble hat today… nah not needed today, wasnt cold enough

was actually quite warm in the stadium… except when the w@nkers in my row who cant get to the match on time, go down for a pint 10mins early, arrive after half time 20minutes late and leave early!!! makes me sick

these fans should be banned, not the ones who are upset after a match when we loose…

alan smith looked really good today, didnt get many decisions the right way for him, but worked hard and nearly got one, hopefully one goal and he will get a glut of them…

but as i have been saying for a long time nicky butt is ruining out club and the young players, they seeing him playing must make their heart sink because they will not know what to do to get into the team…

same goes for joey barton, does all these bad things and yet still welcomed back with open arms

rant over

• CJ

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM

I agree Smith never had a bad game today but where has he been all season I have been saying give Carroll a start and today he showed a bit of quality we have been lacking he never lost the ball and Vidic and Ferdinand did not know how to handle him he would have more goals than Smith if he had been getting a start and wasn’t loaned out i forgot Smith has not SCORED YET.
    I also think KK will get it right but that doesn’t mean we are going to settle for 2nd best every game.

ALNWICK FOR SCOTLAND

• UTD111

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Dunc – I know – it looks hard. But the history of United tells us one thing if nothing else – we are capable of the unexpected. Would be good to beat Blackburn next week which would give us a good launching pad and build a bit of confidence. They’re no Man Utd – and there was more fight in our team today than theres been for quite a while

• CJ