Here are some thoughts and observation on another terrible loss in the Premier League today.
- Our team selection was not good and as we had been half expecting Kevin started both Butt and Smith, even though their past performances should not warrant them a starting spot.
- The team selection was even more weird when both Shola Ameobi and Andrew Carroll were on the bench, yet one of our most experienced tall forwards, Mark Viduka didn’t even make the bench. And Jose Enrique, our 21 year-old Â£6.2M left -back from Villareal, also didn’t make the bench.
Note: It seems that Mark was out injured today but Kevin says he should be fit for next week’s game against Blackburn – we need Mark to start up front and for Smith to be benched. Why? Because we want to win.
Abdoulaye Faye – second goal for Newcastle today
- This is the result Newcastle fans had nightmares about. That the Red Devils could take us apart again, only weeks after our humiliating 6-0 loss at Old Trafford. That was one thing we didn’t even want to think about. But it happened this afternoon. 🙁
- We stayed with Manchester for only the first 20 minutes and then we were very much second best. One thing that is especially worrying is that Beye Faye Taylor and N’Zogbia is close to our best back four we can put out. Maybe Enrique for N’Zogbia would be better – but we still looked very poor and somewhat disorganized in defense, and gave away more sloppy goals.
- We played decent enough football, but one of the big differences was that when Manchester attacked they looked dangerous and as though they could score with any attack. We looked to have no penetration at all up front. We must start a tall forward with Owen and give Smith a rest – he cannot get the job done up front despite his efforts.
- We have now conceded 52 goals this season with 11 games still to go. Last season we conceded 47 goals in the entire season, which was our worst points total in the Premier league (43).
- The Red Devils are so far ahead of us now that it’s almost impossible to think that 12 years ago we could give them a run in the league – those days are gone and Kevin will need to completely rebuild, assuming we can avoid relegation.
- Teams below us in the league such as Sunderland, Fulham and Derby County all lost but Birminghan drew 2-2 with Arsenal at home, after being reduced to 10 men after just 3 minutes. Middlesbrough, who are one point above us also lost at Liverpool.
- The fact we are still 6 points above the drop zone should stand us in good stead, but our goal difference is not good at -22.
- Who would have thought we would have been in this position in late February following the euphoria at the club last August?