Shay Given Could Be Out for the Season

There are reports today that Shay Given could be out for 6 weeks or even for the rest of the season.

shay_given_203×152.jpg

Shay Given – could be out for the season

Of course Shay’s groin injury flared up again at the weekend, and not for the first time in the last 18 months the Irishman had to be replaced during the game by Steve Harper.  As usual Steve came in and played very well in the second half for the team on Saturday.

Shay will see a specialist this week and if an operation is needed it seems best to have the surgery be done now, so that Shay will be ready to go for next season.

If an operation isn’t necessary it may be that rest is what is prescribed by the specialist, and it seems like a long rest may do the trick. But it doesn’t work to keep coming back and having the groin go again, and now is the time to fix Shay’s groin once and for all.

Either an operation now, or an extended rest may well be what is prescribed and that being the case, we could well see Harper in goal for an extended period.   Maybe even till the end of the season.

For Shay Given, we think that would be the right course of action, and it will give him a chance to once and for all get over his chronic groin injury.

What do you think?

• Leo* I HATE NICKY BUTT

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM

we have a perfect replacement in steven harper, he hopefully can add to his 100th caps.

it would be heart breaking for him if he got injured and we had to play forster, good for the lad but would be unfortunate

• Eric

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I did wonder that perhaps Shay was a bit of an injury risk recently. We have Harper as an admirable deputy. He is a local lad too and will not let us down and I am pleased his loyalty will be rewarded at last. And reports suggest that Forster on the bench will do well if neeeds be.

• broon ale

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

has given really recovered from that horror injury he picked up against west ham? his kicking his woeful, he doesnt command the box and his decsion making is non excistent. he is certaintly a loyal servant, as is harper but maybe the time has come for harper to stake his claim for the number 1 jersey.

• Rich

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Ye am happy and I hope Harper plays great and gets run next season also! I feel more comfortable with him between the sticks in all honesty!

• hanzemre

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM

my vote to Harper no doubt with Forster at bench.

• GP

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM

I definitely think there is something wrong with Shay, he hasn’t been the same since that ape Harewood injured him.

• P Collins

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Shay should’nt of even played at the weekend, not when there’s a fully fit Harper on the bench. I also agree that Given’s clearances this season have been awful he regulary puts it out for a throw in, and he panics alot giving the opposition a chance to attack i hope this is some thing he can overcome.

• ronaldeano

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Harewood looks like an eel 🙂

• NUFC Yaka

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Well, thats good news as he has not warranted the No 1 shirt for a few seasons now. Yes he has made some glorified saves etc, however, for me he is 1 of the main reasons for our poor defensive displays. He refuses to play from the back and gives posession away far too easily. Top keepers do not do this. Possession is king, Given gives it away like penny mojo chews. This does nothing but put the defence and the team constantly on the back foot including himself. Its been the common denominator now for many a season under many different managers.

Play from the back then the defence will be able to control the game more and not have to run around like headless chickens. This will build confidence through time on the ball. Can’t say I’m too unhappy. Bring on Harps and Forster!

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

At last, Harper in goal…About time, Shay’s been god-awful this season!..I don’t know if he’s really injured or the club is just covering his ass ‘cos at last, we’re thinking about dropping him…As he has been, not to put too fine a point on it… GOD-AWFUL THIS SEASON!..

• Betting on the Toon

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Well this could give Harper the chance to stake his claim for a regular slot. Given certainly hasn’t been the keeper we know he can be this season for one reason or another so this could be a blessing in disguise. Harper is adequate cover for the remainder of the season.

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:41 PM

That’s loyalty for ya.
    Punkskunk..that’s out of line and bull.

Shay’s been at this club for good on 10 years. He’s saved us countless of times.
    He got injured bravely going in to block Harewood, putting himself on the line again.
    He’s sacrificed a lot staying here, he could have gone anywhere and have a cabinet full of medals.
    Ya Harper’s been loyal, but I don’t ever remember him having a single offer over the last 10 odd years.
    So what happens when the keeper that’s stuck by us for that long, who could have lost everything in a brave challenge, is injured, and hasn’t been playing as well as he usually has because he’s been injured for well, a long time. So what happens, you all slate him and celebrate Harper coming in. (Even though I’m surprised that ye still think he’s up there.)Has it occurred to any of you why Given has kept Harper out.

Given’s been here for 10 years he’s pretty much been the ONLY player who hasn’t let us down. Who’s constantly pushed himself to get better. So when he looks like he’s going be out for the rest of the season, which for him most be heartbreaking, not one, NOT ONE of you so called Newcastle fans have even said, that sucks for Shay, hope he gets better soon, what a pity or something. Not one of ye have even said anything, instead ye celebrate his injury. Hell even my mate whose a die hard Sunderland fan has said how much that most really suck and how hopefully he wont be out for long and how he wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
    Fans, what fans. A proud day to be a Newcastle fan.

• Leo* I HATE NICKY BUTT

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM

i dont think its so much of celebrating his injury, more of looking on the bright side of life

harper could if he had been in the first team had been the england number 1. he had the potential. he did have offers, just like given but because he was not number 1 they were not well publisisied

i know my english isnt great today, not feeling well.

i guess my five a side team will be celebrating my absense lol… only kiddin

• Leo* I HATE NICKY BUTT

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:57 PM

but macca i agree with you that people shouldnt say that its a good thing, what a good thing will be that given rests properly gets the recuperation time and comes back as strong as he was prior to the marlon incident

hopefully he will not be too eager like previously

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Not celebrating it eh..
    “this could be a blessing in disguise”
    The entire of Punk skunk’s ridiculous childish comment.
    “Ye am happy and I hope Harper plays great”..

To name a few, and that’s just after I’ve flown back over the comments.

I’m sick of that theory Harper could be England’s no.1. No, I mean, unless about 10 keepers got injured at the same time, Harper, it doesn’t matter if he plays and entire season, he wouldn’t get the English jersey.

I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading, so many fake fans around the place now a days. What happened to the real ones. No doubt all the “real” ones will be gone if we go down.
    And if this is what’s left of our hardcore fans then it’s a very sad state of affairs.

• ronaldeano

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Well said Macca, shay has been top drawer since he has been here. Ever since eel face perferated his bowel he hasent been at his best, but given proper time to recover from his groin trouble, im sure he will be back at his best next season with hopefully, a solid back four in front of him, he deserves a solid back four and so does every loyal toon fan. KEEP THE FAITH

• rob

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM

macca given fing shit i have said something would happen and has f harps got a chance given would spit hid dummy out and play again

• ronaldeano

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I still hope Harper does well tho.

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Rob..Spit his dummy out again (that’s the only part of your post that’s readable..that is like, about 8 years ago he said he wanted to play or he’d go, but he stayed.
    You’d know that if you bothered to hang around. That’s about one of the most over dramatized thing in Newcastle. Like I said, where are the real fans.

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Macca, my lotalty is with NUFC not Shay Given as an individul!!!..If, like you say, he’s been injured for ages, why is he playing?..He should know if he’s fit enough & not just stay in ‘cos he might find it hard to get back in…His loyalty is not in question, just his fitness to play!..& more especially form!..& that has not been his usual brilliant best!..
    …Also, he complains in the press when he’s left out, that i don’t like!..
    …As for Harper, 100 games spread over 10+ years, well there’s loyalty & love of the club for ya’!..The only reason he ain’t gone somewhere else is he ain’t had enough games, consistantly, to prove his worth…I truely feel he could play for his country if he had!..
    …& as for ‘he could’ve gone to any club’ (Given, that is)…That’s media BS, i can’t remember any solid offers coming in for him…
    …I’m sorry to say bro’, it has occured to me why he’s kept Harper out this year…Reputation!..
    …All i’m saying is: Given ain’t doin’ it, this season, & Harper should be given a chance!..
    If you look at the 1st 10 games this season, with Harper, you’ll find: OUR BEST START FOR 10 YEARS!..

…Punk Skunk, LOYAL NUFC FAN!..

• ronaldeano

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Yeh Rob that “FING” sounds like cockney slang shite to me, talk properly mate, we cant understand you 🙂

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Macca, where in my previous post did i say…
    “this could be a blessing in disguise”
    The entire of Punk skunk’s ridiculous childish comment.
    “Ye am happy and I hope Harper plays great”..
    …That’s total shite & you know it…You don’t work in the media d’ya’?..
    …Go back & re read it!..

• Johann

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Macca, you are a pure hypocrit.
    Okay Harper maybe hasn´t had an offer from him
    But Has Given had an offer?
    No people who publicly express their desire to stay with a club normally don´t get many offers for them.
    I really believe that right now things will turn with a more trustworthy keeper in goal.

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM

By the way, loyalty does not include sodding off if we get relagated…

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Punk Skunk whoever you support it’s not Newcastle.
    We’ve had a lot of managers over the last few years and why is it do you think that Given has been their no.1 for each and everyone of them except for about 3 games with Sam. So every single manager has played him cause of his reputation, what reputation, he’s one of the most underrated keepers in England. If they thought Harper is as good as you say then he would have played. The honest truth is that he hasn’t been as good as Given.
    Harper, has been loyal as well and if you were putting him down in the same disgraceful way that you so called NUFC “fan” is putting Shay down then I would have been down your throat just as fast.
    Wenger has said countless of times that he would like Given to play for him. No ones made a solid offer cause they know it would have been a waste of time. Given’s too loyal.
    Go finish your homework or something, stop wasting my time and stop calling yourself a NUFC fan if you’re going to talk crap that.

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Punk Skunk..go back and read my post, I didn’t say you said it did I.

Aren’t you and Johann the same person, well that’s what I heard anyway, that’s kinda sad don’t ya think.

• Eric

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Macca is right. Given is by far our best keeper of course. All some of us are saying is that Harper is not a bad replacement now that Shay needs surgery. It seems Harper does other things, has some other hats. Is he not a qualified referee? Was he at one stage doing an Open University Degree? Perhaps being a loyal and useful No 2 is how he wants it. Has anybody ever asked him? He will ably be between the sticks while Shay gets all the help to be back being the Premier’s best keeper.

• scott 9

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM

i cant believe how much stik given is getting orite he might not be on great form but they amount of times hes one us games i think its cause we are nrealiing on him to much but harper can do a job for rest of the season we could do without this injury though

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Macca, eve, sinead, or whatever your new name is?..Not you again!..
    …All i said is: Shay has been awful this season, are you trying to say he hasn’t?..I’m sick of professing my love for him…BUT, i don’t give a shit how good he’s been in the past, it’s NOW that counts!..
    …I’m not even saying he’s pap, so climb down off ya’ high-horse…Are you his agent or what?..
    …& read ya’ own comment please…Where d’you get off, slagging other fans on a personal level,
    that sucks, calm the phuck down!..

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Excuse me? All right first I thought that you were some bored Sunderland fan but now I think you’ve actually lost it, I’ve no idea who or what the hell you’re on about.

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Don’t phuckin’ associate me with s’land!..

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Scott 9, ya I agree. Harper will know doubt do us well for the rest of the season. He’s a decent keeper just not as good as Given. But he’s more then an able deputy.

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Punk Skunk right so can we leave it at that because well the second you started calling me girls names is the second I got even more sick of this childish crap. Can we leave it at that, get back to the football and leave the name calling to some other time.

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Kool with me bro’!..Just please don’t…
    A, call me a mackam…
    B, question my decades of loyalty to NUFC…
    C, slag people off for having a different opinion to y’self!..
    …Then i’m supakoolamundo, a regular fonzie!..

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM

I was only pissed at your lack of respect and like, questioning if he’s really injured and crap like that is just way outta line.

• Punk Skunk

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Mate, i hear what y’saying, & i’m soz that i pissed you off…We don’t know the truth, i’m speculating, i’m not saying it’s true!..
    …It’s not a lack of respect for Shay, i just don’t believe everything i read…
    …i’ll swap apologies with ya’, & offer ya’ a virtual beer!..Deal?..

• Michael

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM

To me he no loger looks interested. It happened against Villa when Villa scored thier second Goaland almost as though he was fed up went off, again against Manchester united when they got their third Goal he looked displeased and went off. He is too good for the current crap we have at Newcastle. Crap side, and even crapper manager who cannot stop the rot.

• CRAIGG

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I like harper but he slices so many attempted clearances and lets a few shots go underneath him a fair ammount
    I’ll give him a month before your all wishing shay was in between the sticks and it is so wrong some of you having a pop at shay he has saved us repeatedly for years, disgusting turncoats!

• Macca

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Punk Skunk..meh, ya sorry. Virtual beer it is.

• Punk Skunk