The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan Most Positive Person I’ve Ever Met – Duff

9:12 pm, Friday, February 29th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Damien Duff has done extremely well since he came back from his crippling ankle injury that he sustained last April.

damien-duff-90.jpg

Damien Duff – we’re fitter now then ever under Sam

We think the Irish International has been playing well and certainly worked his socks off for the club last week against Manchester United and it was clear for all to see. It was great to see him working so hard even at the end of the game.

Damien has said some surprising things today about Big Sam’s old regime – very surprising indeed.

The Irish International winger said today:

“We’ve been working hard and as the gaffer said in the meeting this morning, training has been getting better every week. I don’t think we were the fittest before he came here.”

“I know Big Sam used to say we were the fittest around, but I think we were far from it. It’s going to take a while for the gaffer to put his stamp on things.”

“I think one of his quotes was that the work you put in on the training pitch comes out on a Saturday. That’s what we’ve been doing since he came in. It’s been hard work and I think that’s what we needed.” “There’s definitely a buzz around and rightly so; he’s a legend here.”

“He’s the most positive person I’ve ever met. He’s done great work, but we need to start taking it out on to the pitch results-wise. It’s great working with him and I’m loving every minute of it — I’m just desperate to get that first win for him.”

Good words again from Damien, but it’s rather surprising that we weren’t fit under Big Sam after all the ballyhoo about his modern training methods.

Since Damien has returned he’s put in 13 successive appearances for the Magpies, so he’s making up for time out with his severe ankle injury.

Good for him.

Tags: Damien Duff · Newcastle News

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Gloryhunter // Feb 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Are you positive?

• 2 ObaFan2 // Feb 29, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I agree he’s been playing well recently but it’s been an uphill struggle with disjointed displays by the team.

• 3 GP // Feb 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Problem with Duff is he gets muscled off the ball easily. He doesn’t really have the pace to be a winger anymore imo, he should either change the way he plays to be a bit more clever like Giggs or try to take a more central role, like figo has done at Inter.

• 4 Gallowgate Channel // Feb 29, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Yup – agree Duff has been playing well. We actually have a good squad of players and that first win will make all the difference. Smithy has played well up front and it would be great to see him get a goal tomorrow

• 5 Nufc4eva // Feb 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Smithy has played well up front ???

Gallowgate Channel are you mental. He has been absolutely rubbish. He has no skill at all

• 6 Leo* I HATE NICKY BUTT // Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM

someone told me today that shearer has done a charity bike ride from newcastle to london, is this true? how come it wasnt publisised…

• 7 Reading Mag // Feb 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Duff…A cheap mans Joe Cole, go inside..then go outside..rarley beats the player and pass the ball and quicker .

Hes not direct enough, tends to run about a lout though, reminds me of Ruel Fox

• 8 mark // Feb 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM

smith has been playing well? have you got a telly? drop smith, he’s useless.. start with oba and owen, they should have the pace on Samba & Ooijer. now we just need someone to supply the pass…

• 9 Reading Mag // Feb 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM

mark- agreed but Smiths work ethic is very good and battles.

go with
    harper
    Beye Taylor Faye Enrique
    Butt
    Milner Barton Charles
    Owen Oba

• 10 Clive Rutter // Feb 29, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Who are these demented people going on about how good Smith is? So he battles away, clenchs his fists, gurns and gives away countless freekicks whilst getting booked without ever looking like coming anyway close to scoring a goal, so what! Put me on the pitch, I’d do exactly the same, I’d still be Sh*t though and I’d cost quite a few grand less a week and all, and don’t even get me started on Joey Barton, a liability on and off the pitch.

• 11 Dunc // Feb 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Leo

It was on the BBC the other day.

I think Duff looks good but should move inside with Zog on LW and Enrique LB.

He can be a very creative player but needs the runner to give it to. With Zog on the wing and Enrique overlapping we could be pretty good on the left. Beye and Milner on the right is a decent combo too.

Don’t know who I’d put in CM with Duff. I wouldn’t let Barton or Butt lick my insoles at the moment and Smith couldn’t beg his way in by buying me a new Cruiseliner if I was picking the starting sheet. Just my opinion, sorry if you disagree.
    Suppose it’d have to be Geremi.
    By default but didn’t he do well at ACN?

• 12 Whitt // Mar 1, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Geremi did well at ACN at his position, RB. He’s been crap for us in the center all season, and i don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be crap again. For me, Duff has not been dangerous at all on the wing; he never goes by anyone to swing the ball in. A lot of his crosses go behind the goal or to the ‘keeper. With that in mind, a more central role could benefit him…

• 13 petworth magpie // Mar 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Does anyone remember what happened the last time we played the burn?

I pray whoever starts at LB is turned on tomorrow!

Oba to score

How about

Geremi Beye Edgar Enrique

Faye

Milner Duff/Lualua Zog

Owen Martins/Carroll

• 16 Nick Dryden // Mar 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Duff and Smith playing well – hello!!!!
    I may not be Arsene Wenger but I don’t think so.
    Duff always turns back on himself and slows everything down and Smith gets more yellow cards than goals. If that’s playing well god help us.

• 17 Paul R // Mar 1, 2008 at 10:31 AM

with smith its as smiple as this he is a centre forward, as shearer always said (and he was one of the best) centre forwards / strikers are judged on GOALS – and how many has smith scored hmmmmm ?? No one can ever say he is not prepared to put in a shift but his goalscoring is pathetic and I would play oba or caroll today with owen. Oh and nice to see ll that money wasted on backroom staff buy big sam was money well spent ! NOT ! what a waste of space he was and he still thinks in his own mind he is bloomin good just because he got big time bolton in to the uefa cup !! tHat guy makes me sick !

TOON TO WIN 2-1 TODAY AND THE START TO BETTER THINGS I HOPE !!

• 18 takashimakan // Mar 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM