Oba Martins Had Never Heard of Kevin Keegan

It turns out that Oba Martins had never heard of Kevin Keegan, when he was appointed Newcastle manager in mid-January this year.

oba-martins-a3.JPG

Oba Martins – had never heard of Kevin Keegan

Oba confessed to The Sun today:

“I honestly didn’t know anything about him. But I quickly learned things and realized what an important person he was.”“It was Geremi who told me all about Kevin Keegan.”

“He rang while we were both out in Ghana – Geremi was with Cameroon – to say that Keegan had been this great player and what a good manager he was for Newcastle.”

“When I got back we had to introduce ourselves to each other. I had an ankle injury but Keegan told me he wanted me back and fit to help the team. I told him I wanted that, too.”

“People tell me Alan Shearer was a legend and that Keegan was a King.”

“King Kevin, that’s what they call him isn’t it? The manager has loads of confidence and confidence in the players to get the team winning again. He is a strong man.”

“We may not have got the results so far but I can already see in the short time I have worked with the manager how good he is with players.”

“Kevin Keegan has been the best manager I’ve ever known for the way he communicates and how much he loves his players.” “He is always encouraging and looking for positives.”

“Even after we have been beaten, he is back into training the next day giving everybody a lift and making sure we are not feeling sorry for ourselves.”

Good words from Oba and it’s also good to hear that Kevin still has that knack for taking care of his players. But they really haven’t returned any favors to Kevin yet. We’re hoping they will start to play a lot better tomorrow, and we think Oba will participate in the Blackburn game at some point.

We hope he gets into the game, and we also hope he can knock a goal or two in for us. We badly need goals and points at the moment.

It’s also good that Oba’s football education is advancing at the club. 😀

• Eric

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

We need Oba back in the side and he needs support when he is back! Oba is tops compared to Viduka and Smith. But will he get on from the start?

• GP

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM

We could do with Oba producing a bit of magic when we play him, here’s to hoping he gets his first hattrick for the club tomorrow 🙂

• Graeme

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Can we have Andy Carroll as CF with Martins and Owen playing off him. The only way to win a footy match is to score goals and we just aint doing it with the Viduka, Smith combo.

Give Carroll a chance, give Owen a target man to play off and let Martins play off the other side. If nothing else, it will give the opposition something to think about, with 3 goal scorers on the pitch.

If Smith has to have his name in the match prog, stick him on the bench, or assistant corner flag attendant or something!!!

• Richard

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Martins is the best/most dangerous striker we have and also has by far the most potential!

Hopefully he will be starting tomorrow. Id still like to see him and owen up front though. Which If we dont play long ball game and the midfield attacks with them should work!

• Leo* I HATE NICKY BUTT

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:55 AM

assistant corner flag attendant sounds good, stick nicky butt on the other corner.

its good to hear from obafemi he is one of my favourite players because of his blistering pace which is the only reason i am ‘reasonable’ at football haha hopefully he will be able to unlock the blackburns defence

• cg

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Flag attendants – cheers for the laughs lads 🙂

Caroll CF with Owen and Oba that would be something to watch on telly tomorrow indeed.
    Here’s to a reasonable lineup!

• George

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Oba says he did not know who KK was, what a lie.
    Quote in evening chronicle on Oba hearing KK new manager, ” great news, i have admired KK since i was a kid and was one of my football heroes”.
    Harmless lies by the paper, but why such trivia!

• Leo* I HATE NICKY BUTT

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM

i had wondered whether i had imagined oba saying this about keegan, yeah its obviously just papers selling papers, well remembered

• Davies

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM

You can’t play Oba too far out. Allerdyce tried it and it didn’t work, besides, he kept drifting back in to the centre anyway.

Get Carroll in behind Martins and Owen and they’ll cause serious problems for the Blackburn defence.

Get Zog, Emre and Milner in Midfield and have Enrique, Cacapa, Faye and Beye in front of Harper and I think we’re looking good.

It also leaves the added bonus of having Viduka Taylor and Duff spare, just in case.

All of that and we don’t have to field Licky Butt, Uncle Jailbird Joey Barton and the happless Mr Smith.

Bliss. KK I hope you’re reading this.

• Ian

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Looking forward to Oba settling back in over the next two games.

I heard him say about Newcastle and their football under Keegan too when he was a kid, someone has got a story wrong somewhere along the line.

• ObaFan2

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Lol, Yakubu is a “Nigerian” 25, wonder what age Oba really is ?

I’d be surprised if he starts but hope he plays some part of the match.

Corner flag attendants for Butt n Smith, I’d say that’s a little too important a job for them! 😀

I’d have them slicing oranges for half time but even then you’d have to keep an eye on them to make sure it’s done properly!

• ObaFan2

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:22 PM

ps. Smith would probably end up passing the sliced orange back to the green grocer.

Butt would miss-place his passed orange slice and they’d end up on the floor!
    😀

• Toon for life.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Harper

Beye Faye Taylor Enrique

Milner Geremi N’zogbia Duff

Owen Martins

• obamagic

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:34 PM

COME ON OBA!!!!!! WORK YOUR MAGIC!!!!

• Shanghaitoon

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Slicing oranges, hmmmm!! They’d probably mess it up and cut themselves then spend the rest of the season injured, thus allowing some decent players on the pitch!! Go for it, give them the oranges!!! LOL