Chris Mort Refutes Big Sam’s Claims

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort has responded to Big Sam’s senseless outburst, when Sam said billionaires in football couldn’t stand the pressure.

sam-allardyce-986.JPG

Sam Allardyce – whoops what stupid thing have I said now

It was really a stupid statement from Big Sam about a week or so ago, and we thought it was more to keep his name in the spotlight than anything else. He’s getting a bit bored at home, and would be a lot happier if he was back in management.

But if Sam is going to criticize Mike Ashley, which the comment was obviously aimed at, although Sam for some reason denied even that, he’s going to get sensible comments back to make him look even more silly.

True enough Chris Mort, the Newcastle Chairman was asked about Sam’s comments and this is what he told the People on Sunday:

“Huge billionaires, multi-millionaires can’t stand pressure? That doesn’t make any sense.” “I think these sorts of comments say more about Sam than anyone else. I would rather look forward than dwell on the direction in which Sam took this club.”

“We invested more than £30M on acquiring new players last summer and increased the players’ wage bill by more than £10 million.” “We wouldn’t have done either of those things if we weren’t going to back the manager.”

“A combination of the style and the results, particularly in November and December, forced us to think about where we were heading. Even if we had come through that phase under Sam, I’d have been uncomfortable as to whether where he wanted to take us was where we wanted to go.”

Well Mike Ashley and Chris made their move in early January and sacked Sam. That was so the new manager would have the rest of the season to sort things out at the club, and then we’d be ready for a challenge up the league next season.

All good plans of mice and men. 😀

Well it hasn’t turned out like that although the players, if Saturday is anything to go by, are starting to get the hang of how Keegan wants them to play. It was the teams best performance under Keegan and augers well for the rest of the season.

Long may those performances continue this season.

• AdamCF

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:55 AM

We can only hope that it gets better from here then 🙂

• Davies

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM

A sad day when we praise the performance of a losing team, and are able to say that it’s the best we’ve played under the new manager.

Great improvement is required. I admire Michael Owen’s optimism, and give him my support, both as player and captain, but to say that there are a possible 3 points at Anfield when we can’t beat Blackburn at St James’ is a little overly optimistic.

The team have to work harder, stick together, and not fall apart when Torres (inevitably) scores.

Now get to work gentlemen, you have a hard game ahead of you.

• Whumpie

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Just watched the highlights from Saturday again. I know I’m a terminal optimist, but I really am excited about what’s happening, despite all the awful stats.

I think we WILL remain in the prem – probably finishing around 14th. I think we will get a few very well chosen players in the summer. And I think we will improve our position by 4 or 5 positions each season until we’re title contenders again.

Every rapid recovery recently under new managers has proved to be just a honeymoon period followed by a massive fall – but this has more of a sense of steady and constant improvement about it.

It’s just such a shame that we have to go to Anfield next, which is likely to put another big dent in the progress. But you have to look at Saturday’s performance and think Reading, Fulham and the mackems are going to get royally stuffed when we play them. No huge yank between the sticks for them…

• nightfall

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM

sam’s a joke…a real funny one 😀

Ed…me and my friends are starting a new web portal…and if you have time and patiance (:)) i’d appreciate if you’d be willing to answer a few questions… so..contact me if it’s not too much trouble…

cheers 😉

• Eric

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:26 AM

On Saturday things did look on the up. It does not matter what Fat Sam the Sham thinks now. He’s gone and good riddance and left KK, the team, and countless Geordies to pick up the pieces. Carroll looks like he should be up front with Owen against Liverpool. But will he be?
    It is Smith who should be in the reserves until we can offload him on a Salford Sunday pub team! Sam’s sour grapes? Who gives a damn?
    We are still repairing the damage. Who did he play for? The Luftwafe XI?

• sirjasontoon

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:44 AM

re Davies:

I agree praising that performance made me think too.

We are in a shocking state and I think we should have transfer listed all the players that don’t want to play in the last window and rebuild giving new blood the chance to bed in for next season.

I can now genuinly see us in relegation trouble getting nothing at anfield..and see teams like Birmingham who have not been humiliated once by a big team this season (and built on a shoestring)having balls made of much stronger steel than this current bunch of over paid LOSERS.

It is not the managers it is the players and if they keep this up I can’t see Keegan hanging around and we will probably have dennis wise taking his place with houghton…oh dear I want to smash my pc in frustration : ) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!

• JJ

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:38 PM

While we are getting fitter there is still a long way to go, several months – I reckon, that should take us into the next season.
    However, the chances are improving, and that’s great to see.
    It’s been a long time since we have got into those positions and had to make that very quick decision what to do, muscle memory and familierisation springs to mind, and not overly tring too hard to bring us that precious goal.

KK has got it right and is going in the right direction. It may take us down to the wire to be safe, but being positive is the only way to be in this situation, anyone chipping away at us is damaging us. We “The Toon” are apart of our belovered NUFC’s destiny as well as the Team.

I believe we are going to start scoring goals very soon.

Backs to the walls – support the toon, sing your hearts out.

• George

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:04 PM

After SA made these comments, has no one questioned why, if SA was such a great coach,as we were all led to believe, has no other club come in to offer him work???????
    I think it is a case of he proved he is no better than any other manager around, and probably proved he can not manage a big club.

• Stami

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM

knock knock…

Whose there?

Sam…

Sam WHO???????!!!!!

• Whumpie

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:19 PM

I think Sam combined with Fat Fred put us into such a nose-dive that nobody – including KK was going to pull us back up much before the end of the season. But it’s starting to happen, and – as long as we can try to ignore any bad news this weekend – we will get there.

Sirjasontoon – do not dispair!! Look at our squad’s individual histories. We do have very, very good people who just aren’t playing well due to the previous regimes killing their confidence. Some will be lost causes and go, but have faith that KK – the best motivator in the business – will get most of them back to their best. AND he’ll add to them in the summer.

You can’t just sell people and hope that you will get others – firstly because you won’t get them (look what happened in January) and also because you then have to get the new guys to fit in. .. which takes longer than getting an existing person back up to standard.

What the team needs now is consistently loud, positive and UNCONDITIONAL support at every game. It’s all about confidence, and the 12th man has more impact on that than anyone. So everyone PLEASE: get to the games and sing yersel hoarse!!

• Stamford Toon

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Yes they did play well v Blackburn but it was KK’s mistake that led to us losing. He should have kept enough defenders back to stop a breakaway. The best performance of the season? I don’t think so. For me the best game was at home v Arsenal, we very near beat them. Better than KK did against them, how many goals did we ship then?????

• Leo

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

its all really blown back in sams fat face hasnt it, he just looks childish compared to chris morts sensible comments, i remember when this article came out, i said the same thing which mort has said.