Edgar To Stay At Newcastle Until the Summer

David Edgar will stay at Newcastle United until the end of the season, and then decide in the summer with manager Kevin Keegan, what the next step in his continuing football development will be.

david-edgar-_656441.jpg

David Edgar – to stay at Newcastle until the summer

David told the Newcastle Journal:

“I think I’m probably going to end up staying here until the summer and we’ll see what happens in pre-season. I’ve had a chat with the gaffer and he told me where I stand about stuff.”“I’ve just got to keep working hard. Hopefully performances in the reserves will show I can make the grade, but we’ll see.”

“I know a couple of teams came in for me but the gaffer can’t afford to let me go at the minute. It has been the same all season – I’ve been in the reserves, but they can’t afford to let me go because they may need me.”

“But I’ve had a chat with him and I’m happy with the way things stand. We need to be safe and I think we’re definitely going to be safe. But that is the main thing first and, who knows, maybe he can give me a chance then.” “I want to stay and I would love to get a chance.”

“Hopefully, if I do, I’ll never need to look back and keep playing. That is my goal and I want to stay at Newcastle United and not leave.”

Edgar has played well for the Reserves side this season, and we’re a little surprised he hasn’t been given a chance in the first team. Andy Carroll and David are two of the youngsters with the best chance of making a breakthrough to the first team. Kazenga Lua Lua is also knocking on the door, but it appears that Kevin will bank more on expereince in the importasnt last 10 league games this season.

It’s absolutely imperative that we stay in the Premier league, so each of these games, starting at Liverpool on Saturday, will be so important for the future of Newcastle United in the short term.

We’re not sure what will happen to David in the summer, but with the expected signing of experienced Lamine Diatta today, there seems less of a chance that he will get a run out this season for the first team, for whom he has appeared 5 times. In fact there is a possibility that the signing of Diatta could allow David to still go out on loan – even this season.

It may be good to send David out on loan for 6 months at the beginning of next season and see how he develops. We know Glenn Roeder at Norwich City would jump at the chance of taking David on loan, and he would get good playing experience there, which is exactly what he needs right now.

• HeronMag

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I’m delighted that Edgar has decided to stay. I’ve always thought that Keegan did more for the youth squad than any other manager after him. The reason KK left was partly down to the fact he has forced to dismantle a very productive youth policy (L Clark, S Watson, D Huckerby, A Thompson).

I can’t wait to see some of the young talent come through.

Hopefully Edgar will take his form and leadership skills into the first team.

• Leo

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:34 AM

he really sounds a down to earth guy, would love him to get hs chance in the first team, he seemingly deserves it

• Scott Hodge

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Edgar was tremendous on Monday night against Everton. If Keegan had the bottle he would play him, Carroll and Lua Lua in the first team but he wont. Edgar spoke with Keegan this week and on Monday he was strangely played at right back? Obviously Taylor wont be dropped no matter what so perhaps he may give him a few run outs at right back. Edgar has been treated very unfairly at our club and I hope he moves on in the Summer because all the club has done to him is use him as cover at his expense in terms of his own dev elopment as a player. Good luck David, another good young gun in the process of biting the dust in favour of overpaid, overated big names who have placed us in a relegation battle. I hope our defenders are proud of themselves !!

• Eric

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I hope Edgar stays too. Are we risking losing another loyal and young prospect before next season? We must keep him and give him a chance in the first team. How can we let him go and keep the has-beens and cannabe’s (we all know who I mean). NUFC will not develop while we hold onto Butt, Barton, Smith, Carr and one or two others. Another bitter pill to swallow because KK persists in playing the jaded ‘names’ and ‘reputations’.

• Scott Hodge

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I agree 100% Eric !

• Davies

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Me too.

Time for Licky, Smudge, Jailbird Joey and Stephen Carr to go. We have some excellent quality in our reserves. They appear to be outstripping the first team at the moment (admittedly against lesser opposition).

Time to give a good young team a run out.

• Ste

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I really hope that Newcastle start to bring some of these lads through to the 1st team. Let’s face it the 1st team is clearly not working well and in my opinion our midfield and forwards look like a bunch of strangers. These young lads are playing and training together for the reserves and therefore will have built up a good understanding with each other. Yes a lack of experience is an issue but these lads will be hungry for their chance. It’s clear that Edgar and Carroll want to play and prove their worth and Keegan is the man to let them do this (I honestly don’t think Big Al would have). Plus in the long run it could save us £25 million in the summer as we won’t be buy expensive flops, again. I say give the youngsters a go, buy so real quality and creativity in the summer and I could see Newcastle United stepping in the right direction to getting back in the top half!

• SGToon

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:29 AM

I think its great for them to play in reserves for the moment….like some of you guys said, bleeding them too fast into the first team might ruin them bar a few exceptionals like Rooney.

Just look at Walcott…he turned into a normal player. I think its due to been in the first team and not playing and not being in the reserves too…its neither here nor there…

So let them play in reserves…i believe they’ll get first team action. I’d love to see us playing like Arsenal…where the first team takes charge of the BPL and our young team taking the Cup runs!….

Let’s brace for a tough ride till the end of the season…where ever we may be next season be in in the league or not, they’re still our team!!

• Scott Hodge

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM

I have it on good authority that David Edgar fully intends to stay at Newcastle indefinitely even if it means he plays only a bit part role over the next few years. It has been documented that he is black and white daft . His current contract expires in 2009 and he is hell bent on working out a deal if the club still wants him, nice to know one of our young guns, although given nothing like the run outs that Taylor has been given, remains loyal !!