Bad News On Newcastle Injury Front

There’s bad news from Kevin Keegan today regarding our injury prone trio of Emre, Viduka and Carr.

kevin-keegan-32287.jpg

Kevin Keegan – all three will miss out tomorrow

We suppose it’s not surprising that they are still not fit and will still be out for a couple of weeks yet. All three were left at home when the Newcastle squad left for their Liverpool base today,

Kevin said today:

“Viduka is still another week away, but if he has no more set-backs then he should be back for our game at Birmingham City a week on Monday night.”

“Emre is two weeks ago, with Carr not expected back for three weeks because of his hamstring injury.”

“But Nicky Butt is OK, despite coming off against Blackburn.”

“We have not got much cover if we pick up any more injuries to our defenders, and (newly signed) Lamine Diatta will provide this.”

Well it’s all hands to the pump but how these three continue to be unavailable, when we were told a couple weeks back they were just niggly little injuries is almost beyond belief.

We’ll leave it at that, but we’re a little peeved that these three, especially Emre and Viduka have been unable to assist the club in their time of needs for several weeks now.  When we buy players in the summer, we should ensure they can play 40-50 games a season.

These three have never been able to do that and it wouldn’t surprise us if Emre is the only one still at the club in August.

• George

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Car and Viduka i am bothered about, but Emre as all who visit this blog seem to agree, is probably the only real creative player we have and will be missed.
    Carr and Viduka are past their sell by date liabilities, so no tears for them.

• Nasty

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I think KK just wants keep Butt and Smith in the shop window – bad move

• Andreas

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Well I assume; “But Nicky Butt is OK, despite coming off against Blackburn.” = he’ll start for sure. And I would be highly surprised if Smith doesn’t start too.

Have a really bad feeling about this game. Normally it’s bad enough to lose but tomorrow I’m gonna watch the game with friend who support Liverpool so I’ll have to be ready for some abuse if we fall through yet again.

• ChrisL

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

For some bizarre reason, I’m convinced Smith will score this weekend.

• Toony

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Chris, time to get a new prescription mate those drugs have got you delirious!

• CRAIGG

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Andreas to be fair to Butt he played pretty well against Blackburn and he would start over Smith and Barton for me.

• ChrisL

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Toony,
    I was thinking about starting that sentence with “call me crazy but….”

CRAIGG,
    Good to see people defending a player. Butt has had a few bad games recently, but show me a Toon player who hasn’t. You should only judge a player on his last game, so Butt to keep his place & Barton should be sat on the bench (if he had been available).

• Andreas

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Aye, Craigg I agree with you in that matter. To be honest, Butt is decent at breaking up play but his passing is aweful. Hopefully KK will tell him to give the ball to the closest NUFC-player every time Butt wins it :=)

• Michael

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Stop making excuses before the game has even been played. We know Keegan by now, Vidula if fit is unlikely to play, Emre, Keegan does not seem to know there is a player called Emre at NEwcastle and Carr, please. There is no way he is going to play. I am sure if Amiobi was injured as Well we would mention 5 players injured, Newcastle injury nightmare continues. These are players unlikely to play anyway, would be lucky to make it on the bench the Kev is going, so do not let him excuses.

• Whumpie

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I think ChrisL has a point. Can’t think why, but it does have that Keeganesque storyline quality about it.

I’m hoping that Zog will get his chance in Emre’s spot – it’s his preferred position and the best use of his abilities. And I hope Lua Lua is on the bench, as his kind of youthful lack of respect for big opposition could be useful if one of the starting wingers isn’t getting through. Likewise Caroll, who scored against Juventus…

Viduka is a big miss, but not for tomorrow – if he’d had a few games of run-up then he’d have been very useful, but coming back from injury I doubt if he’d have been much use. (He’s probably strained his pie muscle again.) Smudge will get the start, and with his first run of games in his correct position, he may just do the trick this time.

Now will someone pass the bong?

• CRAIGG

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Michael what the hell are you talking about
    it was probably a question that Kev was asked in a press conference as Emre is our best midfielder and Viduka would start if he was fit and KK probably mentioned Carr as he didnt to hurt the guys feelings

• CRAIGG

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Andreas the reason in my opinion butt has had such a poor season is because playing in a midfield containing Barton (Who has not got near top form) also Geremi and Smith who cannot pass a ball to save their lives, he has had the emphasis to be the more creative player

When he been great over the years breaking up play and still is but he is used to Giving the easy ball to Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Veron, Keane etc. who use it better and last season was very good when playing with Dyer, Parker, Emre and Solano who are quality creative players.

He has had to play over the top 30 yard balls instead of the 5-10 yarders he has been playing throughout his career.

That how i personally see it

• Jamie

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I’m sorry guys, but I don’t hold much hope for us tomorrow, Liverpool have come into form over the last week and a half which means bad news for us.

I can see them knocking at least 3 goals past us and I can’t see us scoring anymore than 1.

Put it this way, the toon will have to play out of their skin to get anything from the game.

• CRAIGG

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM

This is what i hope the scousers play tommorow with the Champions league in mind:

Reina
    Arbeloa Skrtel Hyypia Aurelio
    Pennant Lucas Mascherano Kewell
    Kuyt Voronin (If he is fit)

Is that too optomistic because i would back us to beat that side.

• Whumpie

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:46 PM

I think it’ll be 5-2 to the reds. BUT:

1) I can’t help but get excited about the idea that with the steady improvement over the past few games, I may be joyfully wrong.

2) I’d still prefer that to the 3-0 spadging we’d have been certain of under Sam Allerdyce. The results may suck, but at least KK’s got me keen to watch games again.

• Obafan

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Whumpie – Okay KK got you watching joyfull again to the NUFC games, but we need points. And I as fan would sign for 12 more points with very ugly football, winning 1-0 in the last minute than playing very nice football and getting 6 points and maybe relegating. Now it is time to foocus on getting the points to save the team from the drop. How we get those points is not the priority it is to get those points that is veryu important!

I can’t understand or follow the feeling some of you guys have by saying that Smith will score this weekend. I, rteally hope you’re right but in first place I hope he will sit on the bench. But I’m afraid that might never happen with him, he will play and I’ve got a very bad thought but I fear that KK will put him next to but in the midfield. If that happens I will be very angry, cause we need players who can pass the ball and make pace to get a little chance of getting a fantastic result!

• ChrisL

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Obafan,
    as the 1st one to say that “I thought Smith might score this weekend”… may I just say I understand your doubt & I also would rather see him start from the bench. But I don’t know, I just got a little tingle, a little feeling, a ray of hope that he would score. Go find yourself a picture of Keegan smiling & then see if you still doubt Smith might score?

But while I understand what you think of Smith, I disagree completely with your preference for guaranteed safety with ugly football over great football & relegation. Obviously I’d rather we played good football & get the required points, but relegation holds no fear for me. We could get rid of so much dead wood & let Keegan sort us out all over again. By August 2009 we be right back & stronger then ever. In some ways I think it a more likely route to full recovery then surviving in the state we’re in.

Any way, I’m off back to cloud cuckoo now.

• Whumpie

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM

I agree totally – but perhaps haven’t explained well. My feelings on those two points are:

1) I believe BSA would not get us as many points as KK will between now and the rest of the season. Under Sam, tomorrow we’d be thrashed while scoring no goals as opposed to losing but scoring goals with KK. The difference is, through getting those goals in the hard-to-win games, we’re far more likely to get 3 points in the others. That’s why I think we’re in a better position with KK even if it is taking an age to start working in terms of points.

2) I’d much rather see Caroll start with Owen up front, and if Smith is in midfield I’ll be as mad as the next bloke, ‘cos that’s daft. But I also think KK knows a good striker when he sees one and that Smith may come good tomorrow. It’s just the eternal optimist in me, I think.

• scott9

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM

i would play this team tommorow seen as them 3 are injured
    beye faye cacapa enrique
    milner geremi butt nzogbia duff
    owen

• Tom_Toon

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:39 PM

5 in midfield is absolute suicide, especially with owen as a lone striker. Reason being our midfield is very very poor, theirs is pretty damn good, we will be overun, 5 of our players nullified, stick to 4-4-2.

Harper
    Beye Faye Edgar Enrique
    Milner Butt Duff N’Zogbia
    Owen Martins

• Whumpie

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I think I’d like to start with this:

Harper
    Beye – Faye – Taylor – Enrique
    Milner – Butt – Zog – Duff
    Caroll – Owen

Then you’ve got Cacapa and Edgar to replace Taylor if he has a baddun (I think he’ll rise to the challenge myself despite some recent shockers), Smith to put on if Caroll is looking ineffective, Martins to put on if Owen’s not sparking, and Lua Lua for whichever of Duff and Milner is being pinned down the most.

It’s going to be exciting, lads.

• Eric

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Pity about Emre because he does have quality, Don’t give a shite about the other two. I met a Spurs fan a while ago who said Carr was called “sick note” when they had him. Reckon the Newcastle doctor must have pre-printed Viduka and Carr sick notes.

• cockney magpie

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM

WE WILL WIN TOMORROW FOR DEFINATE!!!

• Davies

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Cockney magpie, you are an optimist, but perhaps a little foolish. I’d love to be proved wrong, but I reckon a draw is the best we’ll manage.

Whoever it was that suggested a five man midfield with Owen up front on his own, get a grip. If you want a lone striker, go for Martins, he’s faster and more accurate by a mile.

I agree with Tom Toon’s team choice for tomorrow. Perhaps Carroll could come on for Mickey or Oba at some point. Just a thought.

On the up side, it doesn’t look like Mascherano will be making it for the match. Does anybody know for definite whether Torres is playing tomorrow? I do hope not.

• Whitt

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:28 PM

it really is a shame about Viduka. when he gets the ball into his feet, he is the most creative player in the squad. unfortunately, for a lot of the time he was healthy, we were expecting him to chase down long balls and win headers, which is not his strength. if we could somehow have him healthy for half our games next season, he could be really good for us under KK.

• Obafan

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Cockney Magpie – I wish I was as optimistic as you are. I really hope you are going to be right. If so I will dance around my whole house (you can’t see it, but I assure you that I will do that, perhaps film it and put it on youtube 😉 ).

Eric – Indeed Emre could have been very usefull tomorrow, but I doubt if KK will give him a real chance. What a season it has become for our most creative player. Never (nor SA nor KK) gave him a real chance. Others (Taylor, Smith, Butt) can play as bad as they want, they always start. Don’t understand this…

• Obafan

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Whitt – I agree m8. We excpect things; from Viduka that are absolutely not his style. If we can put the ball into his feet, he will do something good with it. We can use him very good for the remainder of our games!!!

• Newcastle United.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Emre is mint.

• hanzemre

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:46 AM

am with you guys, have a real faith that though we’d lose 0-4 lose it with pride. If got any luck we’d score hope it’d be Smith on the scoresheet. A win today is quite impossible but in football we’d never know for sure. Just hope we’ll playing to win & be more wiser in containing them.

• shaun dyer

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM

emre needs to play in the hole behind owen with two holding midfield players as he did for inter in his best season; spectacular goals as well including goal of the season twice in serie a! his succesful assist ratio is second to none as well. his work rate is good considering he is a creative player